Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mohs Surgery #9047685 05/15/24 07:49 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Went to the Dermatologist Monday to check a constant "dry spot" on my forehead. She just called and said it's skin cancer but in early stage so they're setting me up to have it removed using MOHS procedure. I googled it and doesn't seem too bad. Only other option given was radiation which I firmly said NO. Anyone with first-hand experience with this?

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047706 05/15/24 08:59 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
I had some skin cancer cut out two years ago. Dr used local, scalpeled a big hole in my skin, sewed me up, and sent me home. Sent the sample to be biopsied. Came back as cancer. Went back in, cut a little more to make sure that he got it all, sent the sample off. Came back good. It was no issue and I never felt anything after the numbing shots.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047707 05/15/24 09:04 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I've had 3 MOHS and didn't love it.....hoping I don't have another skin cancer but if I do I want to try radiation.

First took half the back of my ear off down to the cartilage. Had to do a skin graft off my chest. Next two were on my face and temple. After cutting the cancer out(process took 3 trys over 4hrs wait on labs) he further cut the wound into a football shape to pull the skin together. The pulled up skin was almost the size of my pinky finger. Granted after about 6 months the scar was almost invisible.

Make America Great Again

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047708 05/15/24 09:08 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
2 for me. One on the right side of my face, at about eye level. He said there’d be no scar, though he couldn’t pretty me up, but there was no scar. Other one was on my right forearm, and they took some serious meat. Got a long scar.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047721 05/15/24 09:20 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
64+ years of too much sun finally got me. My spot is right above my left eyebrow. She took a pretty big slice just for the biopsy. Plenty of age lines there already so not too worried about a scar. No radiation for me again as I'm still dealing with the results of throat cancer radiation and chemo from 14 years ago.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047748 05/15/24 10:14 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Easy peasy. I bleed through a few shirts, but I did do DIY backpack elk hunt three days later

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047756 05/15/24 10:34 PM
L
LarryCopper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
L
Last Fall I had Mohs on my forehead, too. They take off a lot more than you think, but being on your forehead is a good thing. They'll sew ya back up along an existing horizontal line so it'll blend in pretty good.

When I get really hot or cold it shows up, but otherwise you wouldn't notice.

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: LarryCopper] #9047761 05/15/24 10:51 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by LarryCopper
Last Fall I had Mohs on my forehead, too. They take off a lot more than you think, but being on your forehead is a good thing. They'll sew ya back up along an existing horizontal line so it'll blend in pretty good.

When I get really hot or cold it shows up, but otherwise you wouldn't notice.

up

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9047808 05/16/24 01:07 AM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
I had it last year on the back of my hand. The Mohs technique takes the minimum amount of tissue. I had a melanoma removed a couple of years ago and they took substantially more tissue. A lot depends on the size of the lesion and the depth they suspect the cancer cells go. Mine only took one pass to get it all. No scar.

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9048033 05/16/24 03:09 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Surgery clinic called this morning. June 10. Right in the middle of my 2 cataract surgeries! Going to be a busy month for me.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9048040 05/16/24 03:17 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
not a big deal, have had 6 done.

local deadener, cut it out, wait on results, maybe cut some more.

forehead, right temple twice, top of head (that one was extensive), and 2 on my right shoulder.

none of them slowed me down any.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9049536 05/19/24 07:59 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Mine was:

cut small Nevis out, sent for pathology

came back melanoma....the bad one.

went in for the DEEPER cut of meat. Sent to pathology

came back clear

go to get chit checked quite often. Most has been skin damaged by being an idiot getting a tan ever since my youth.

USE SUN SCREEN !!!

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Buzzsaw] #9049577 05/19/24 09:24 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Mine was:

cut small Nevis out, sent for pathology

came back melanoma....the bad one.

went in for the DEEPER cut of meat. Sent to pathology

came back clear

go to get chit checked quite often. Most has been skin damaged by being an idiot getting a tan ever since my youth.

USE SUN SCREEN !!!

Way too many sunburns to count. Guess it finally caught up to me. I have been pretty good about wearing a hat while out working in the sun the last couple of years though.
This really gets you thinking though, especially having already survived a serious cancer round. Not a coincidence that we're having our wills drawn up next week. 3 surgeries in three weeks beginning in June.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 05/19/24 10:03 PM.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Buzzsaw] #9050003 05/20/24 08:57 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

USE SUN SCREEN !!!

Thats the common saying, but research what is actually in sunscreen then decide if that's what you want to be putting on your skin.

I'm not entirely convinced that what we are putting on are skin is better than being in the sun. IMO its a lot of environmental factors among other things that is giving a rise to skin cancer rather than just straight sun exposure.

and yes, I've had basil cell

what got me off of using sunscreen was having a tube bust inside a tackle box and it strip the paint off a smithwick rouge.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9050055 05/20/24 10:40 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Way back when, when I was in The Med Center in Houston, hoping they’d find my problem (the tumor), they gave me a big many-paged loose leaf binder. Many many personal questions and a big section was on sunburn I had as a teenager. How bad, how often, what body areas. Apparently it mattered to them, as a research hospital. But who remembers how many bad sunburns they’d had years before.

Anyway, when I was on the tennis court for many hours, before and after I retired, I used sunscreen almost all the time. I figured it was better than getting my freckled Irish skin burned.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: txtrophy85] #9050115 05/21/24 12:36 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

USE SUN SCREEN !!!

Thats the common saying, but research what is actually in sunscreen then decide if that's what you want to be putting on your skin.

I'm not entirely convinced that what we are putting on are skin is better than being in the sun. IMO its a lot of environmental factors among other things that is giving a rise to skin cancer rather than just straight sun exposure.

and yes, I've had basil cell

what got me off of using sunscreen was having a tube bust inside a tackle box and it strip the paint off a smithwick rouge.

Interesting. Mine is Squamous cell.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9050321 05/21/24 02:43 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B

FUNNY lol35

I hate sunscreen and wearing hats. Long sleeve "performance" shirts don't work, they are hot as he77 and clammy. Will never wear jeans while outside in the summer unless hunting.

Not all sunscreens are the same. Even though they claim they are effective

Jimbo, you remind me of me roflmao

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9050324 05/21/24 02:47 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Just has one cut out this year that should’ve been taken care of 2 years ago. 39 is too young to be dealing with that chit.

After the local deader you won’t feel anything until it starts itching. Doc took about a half dollar size from upper neck area.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Buzzsaw] #9050419 05/21/24 07:10 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J

FUNNY lol35

I hate sunscreen and wearing hats. Long sleeve "performance" shirts don't work, they are hot as he77 and clammy. Will never wear jeans while outside in the summer unless hunting.

I wore a cowboy hat every day until I went to Korea in 83. Hate wearing any hat now but I do for outside mowing, pool work, etc. I was only worried about my head getting burned, mainly because I'm bald(ing), not my body. I wear shorts and sleeveless shirts year-round. I will start going to the Dermatologist every six months now...and not just because she's beautiful and a hoot to talk to.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Buzzsaw] #9050427 05/21/24 07:21 PM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

FUNNY lol35

I live in those performance long sleeves with the hoods. There are different materials and they all work differently and you need the correct one of the activity you are doing.

PFG is very hot until you sweat into it or get it wet then it excels at cooling.

Magellan is great if you’re going to be sitting and not sweating or getting wet as they breathe better but the downside is they won’t retain the moisture as long to really keep you cool.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: BigPig] #9050757 05/22/24 02:42 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by BigPig

FUNNY lol35

I live in those performance long sleeves with the hoods. There are different materials and they all work differently and you need the correct one of the activity you are doing.

PFG is very hot until you sweat into it or get it wet then it excels at cooling.

Magellan is great if you’re going to be sitting and not sweating or getting wet as they breathe better but the downside is they won’t retain the moisture as long to really keep you cool.

I need to try those long sleeved ones. Thanks Wade

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9050760 05/22/24 02:43 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

FUNNY lol35

I wore a cowboy hat every day until I went to Korea in 83. Hate wearing any hat now but I do for outside mowing, pool work, etc. I was only worried about my head getting burned, mainly because I'm bald(ing), not my body. I wear shorts and sleeveless shirts year-round. I will start going to the Dermatologist every six months now...and not just because she's beautiful and a hoot to talk to.

We need to have lunch sometime. We could have been separated at birth roflmao

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Buzzsaw] #9050866 05/22/24 06:45 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J

FUNNY lol35

We need to have lunch sometime. We could have been separated at birth roflmao

roflmao

Last edited by Jimbo1; 05/22/24 06:46 PM.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9051057 05/23/24 01:12 AM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Dermatologist office called earlier. Said my Blue Light Therapy was approved by Tricare. They're going to do my arms first next Thursday. After what she said and me reading up on this, I'm not thrilled.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Mohs Surgery [Re: Jimbo1] #9051103 05/23/24 03:41 AM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Dermatologist office called earlier. Said my Blue Light Therapy was approved by Tricare. They're going to do my arms first next Thursday. After what she said and me reading up on this, I'm not thrilled.

Psst... don't tell them what Tricare actually pays...

Good luck with the therapy, sir.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide