texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
OregonWild, RAUKUS01, Dutch_Dogs_77, ShootScootLoot, JerryC12
72136 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,810
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,572
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Stub 44,161
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics539,027
Posts9,744,361
Members87,136
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Box Turtle..... #9038657 04/26/24 12:17 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
Haven't seen a Box Turtle on my property in 2-3 years.

Then all of the sudden encountered TWO in the last two days.

I suppose mating season has brought them out. Glad to see that some are left.

They used to be more common here (Deep East Texas) but like a few other species (Roadrunners, Quail, Horned Toads, native Red Ant, etc) they seem to be on the decline.

[Linked Image]


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038695 04/26/24 01:21 AM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,552
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,552
Saw one in the yard Saturday, usually just see them behind the house in the woods, this one must have come under the gate. moved him out back into the woods where I see more of them.


lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: kmon11] #9038704 04/26/24 01:54 AM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by kmon11
Saw one in the yard Saturday, usually just see them behind the house in the woods, this one must have come under the gate. moved him out back into the woods where I see more of them.


Thanks for taking care of it. up

One thing I was unaware of....until recently, is how small their 'Home Range' is. Reported to be no more than 5-20 acres (Eastern Box Turtle).


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038799 04/26/24 12:52 PM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,044
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,044
Saw one last year on the place pretty cool to have around.

Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: angus1956] #9038884 04/26/24 03:24 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by angus1956
Saw one last year on the place pretty cool to have around.


In captivity can live from 50-75 yrs. (one recorded to have lived 100 yrs).

In the wild will average 25-30 years....but can go 50 years.

Females have the ability to 'store' sperm (after mating) for up to 4 years. So 'could' lay fertilized eggs any time during that period, meaning they don't have to mate every year, but probably do.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038890 04/26/24 03:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 65,572
S
SnakeWrangler Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 65,572
I typically move 6-20+ a year out of the road. Lots of them around here.

If I find them in a fairly urban or busy area I release them in the woods behind our house.

Do the same with snakes. Have released a rough green snake and a couple of hognose snakes here last year.

Had a Texas rat snake and a speckled king released this week….no turtles this year yet.


Originally Posted by Sneaky
I believe in science and I’m an insufferable [censored]
Originally Posted by beaversnipe
Actually, BBC is pretty damn good

"You Cannot Simultaneously Be Politically Correct And Intellectually Honest!"
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038894 04/26/24 03:45 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,389
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,389
Where I deer hunt in western Kansas, we see a lot during the Sept muzzleloader hunt. They are all over the roads, and it gets old stopping every mile to move them off into the brush.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]


Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #9038924 04/26/24 04:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,623
C
chalet Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
C
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,623
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I typically move 6-20+ a year out of the road. Lots of them around here.

If I find them in a fairly urban or busy area I release them in the woods behind our house.

Do the same with snakes. Have released a rough green snake and a couple of hognose snakes here last year.

Had a Texas rat snake and a speckled king released this week….no turtles this year yet.


I'm not sure if the information is accurate but have read that it is a bad idea to relocate turtles.

https://citywildlife.org/odyssey-of-an-urban-box-turtle/#:~:text=NEVER%20DISTURB%2C%20PICK%20UP%20%2C%20OR,left%20where%20they%20are%20found.


Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038948 04/26/24 04:57 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,992
Sniper John Offline
gumshoe
Offline
gumshoe
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 20,992
These are my wife's pets. At my wife's request I designed and built this enclosure for them. I don't remember how long we have had them, but many years. That Three Toed Box Turtle I know has been with us for over 30 years. There is also a Russian Tortoise. They live in there 24/7 and hibernate every winter. I added the pond and stream for a permanent water source for them. Plus it is nice to sit outside and listen to the waterfall and watch dragonflies fly around it. Many of the plants were chosen because they are also food or attract food. It changes a lot with the seasons. By design we can be away for several days and they not need any special care. The habitat also attracts a lot of volunteer toads and lizards too that get really tame and can be hand fed. The pond is heated in the winter and is it's own ecosystem of fish, giant snails, etc.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9038962 04/26/24 05:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,389
B
Blank Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,389
That's cool!!!


Beer and whiskey, 'cause you can't drink bacon!!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9039030 04/26/24 08:47 PM
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,543
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: Jun 2015
Posts: 11,543
Used to have a few back home that my mother fed fruits and vegetables that were half used or going bad.



Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9039088 04/26/24 11:04 PM
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,020
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 8,020
Moved one out of the county road at my gate this morning. For some reason there are folks that think they need to run over every turtle and snake they see...idiots


www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: SnakeWrangler] #9039093 04/26/24 11:19 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by SnakeWrangler
I typically move 6-20+ a year out of the road. Lots of them around here.

If I find them in a fairly urban or busy area I release them in the woods behind our house.

Do the same with snakes. Have released a rough green snake and a couple of hognose snakes here last year.

Had a Texas rat snake and a speckled king released this week….no turtles this year yet.


up

Thank You for being a good steward of the wildlife. Not everyone would be so thoughtful.....or take the time.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: Stompy] #9039094 04/26/24 11:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
F
flintknapper Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Feb 2015
Posts: 5,243
Originally Posted by Stompy
Moved one out of the county road at my gate this morning. For some reason there are folks that think they need to run over every turtle and snake they see...idiots


^^^^^^

You pegged the 'reason'.


Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9039725 04/28/24 03:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,552
kmon11 Online Shocked
junior
Online Shocked
junior
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 32,552
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Pups found another one this morning. Relocated so it is away from them. Small one this time.

Last edited by kmon11; 04/28/24 03:18 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: flintknapper] #9039923 04/28/24 11:41 PM
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 4,562
1
1955 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
1
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 4,562
Cool up

Re: Box Turtle..... [Re: Sniper John] #9040282 04/29/24 08:44 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,421
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Offline
Fert Squirter
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 1,421
Originally Posted by Sniper John
These are my wife's pets. At my wife's request I designed and built this enclosure for them. I don't remember how long we have had them, but many years. That Three Toed Box Turtle I know has been with us for over 30 years. There is also a Russian Tortoise. They live in there 24/7 and hibernate every winter. I added the pond and stream for a permanent water source for them. Plus it is nice to sit outside and listen to the waterfall and watch dragonflies fly around it. Many of the plants were chosen because they are also food or attract food. It changes a lot with the seasons. By design we can be away for several days and they not need any special care. The habitat also attracts a lot of volunteer toads and lizards too that get really tame and can be hand fed. The pond is heated in the winter and is it's own ecosystem of fish, giant snails, etc.

[Linked Image]


That's awesome! Have a couple of Red Footed that are about 5yrs old. I enclosed my garden and let them hang in there. Garden is weedy since I don't treat the area. I need to weedeat to clean it up but they love to eat the dandelions that are going in there. I've had a 3 Toed Box in there the last two years. I haven't seen him come out of hibernation this year. I think he dug out and escaped. This was Saturday morning my little nephew was over hand feeding them. Then Sunday morning after 4" of rain and one of my drain catch basins got clogged and lots of water got into the garden. The doghouse in there is their favorite handout spot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3