Forums46
Topics538,302
Posts9,735,506
Members87,078
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: spacejunkie] #9034941 04/16/24 11:51 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by spacejunkie
Sitting here reading this I am wondering if these loaded down trucks are the results of:

A. Being prepared for a divorce because of being at the deer camp too much

B. Prepared for a bug out because of the way things are going in our nation

C. To lazy to carry thing back to were they belong after coming back from the deer camp

D. You have become a mobile hoarder.

Sorry if I have offended anyone but this is being posted after having a couple of Buffalo Trace cocktails.

I just keep things in there that I might need often, or might need in an emergency. Just preparedness. After your post, I think I should add a bottle of buffalo trace...for an emergency.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9034961 04/17/24 12:28 AM
71Rcode Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
What if the man drives a Tesla?

NRA Life Member & GOA Member
Always interested in Marlins. Let me know what you have for sale!
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: ntxtrapper] #9034973 04/17/24 12:57 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Sitting here reading this I am wondering if these loaded down trucks are the results of:

C. To lazy to carry thing back to were they belong after coming back from the deer camp

Sorry if I have offended anyone but this is being posted after having a couple of Buffalo Trace cocktails.

I have been the human carburetor with a coat hanger with the cowling removed from my 82 Chevy band van driving around the hills of Hollywood in hopes of being the next punk rock band sensation! clap

Mine are the result of being in bad situations. If you’ve never been a human carburetor for a boat motor by pouring gas straight into the top of it from a beer can then you might not understand.

Yessr. Mine I guess is a result of being brought up the way I was and just old enough to know what it's like to be out hunting or fishing as an adult with no cell phones, electronic navigation, or emergency services. My first several deer leases nobody had cell phones or a way to call for help unless you walked your [censored] all night to get to a pay phone in Benavides, Tx in order to call somebody for help (been there) if you were stuck or broke down. I learned early in life to have not only what you need, but what you might need stored away in an organized manner. Many times in my life of traveling/hunting/fishing having items in my truck to help not just myself but more importantly other people have proven very beneficial.

Quick example - crawfish cookoff last year, dude's next to us lost and were leaving mad and in a hurry with kids that were ready for bed 4-6 hrs prior. Dude didn't run his jack up on their fancy new covered trailer before they blew out of there, buried that rig in a wet ditch with a pissed off family inside and they had a drive and only their cell phones as tools. I was the only one that stayed at our tent to cook bugs for late comers that just got off work and watched it happen. It was dark, muddy, windy, cold and everyone was tired. I walked over and offered to help. I said it will take me 15-20 minutes to grab my cordless impact & a backup & spray & wire brush to pull the jack off of the trailer (bolts were rusty already/China [censored]) or I could grab my cordless reciprocating saw, cut the bent jack pole off in under 5 minutes and you can get your family home. Owner chose to cut it off, so I laid down/cut it off and they were able to pull out of the ditch. We were wrapping that up and shaking hands when some friends walked by and congratulated me for winning "Grand Champion". Trailer guys both just looked at me confused and asked me why the hell I wasn't up there on the stage with my team getting our banners. Told them I don't care about that. They looked at me like I was stupid. roflmao

Sorry for being long winded, but I'm a firm believer of being Mobily Prepared. I recently bought my oldest Son a tool box for his new truck, we mounted it in the parking lot of Tractor Supply. He was all grins and asked me "Dad, so what do you think are the most important tools to buy to keep in my new toolbox?"

I think I grinned a little. grin

My brother Snakewrangler is my mentor. That is one prepared man.

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: ntxtrapper] #9034976 04/17/24 01:04 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Mine are the result of being in bad situations. If you’ve never been a human carburetor for a boat motor by pouring gas straight into the top of it from a beer can then you might not understand.

To be fair, you can have zero tools in your truck or every tool available in your truck, when your boat motor take a chit in the middle of the bay it won’t make much difference

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: txtrophy85] #9034981 04/17/24 01:19 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

To be fair, you can have zero tools in your truck or every tool available in your truck, when your boat motor take a chit in the middle of the bay it won’t make much difference

Gonna have to disagree with you there pard. I always carry a small tool bag with only the tools that decades of running boats have taught me to keep handy on a boat, along with various spare motor parts/filters etc stored in Ziplocs sprayed with Corrosion X, because I have been on more than a few fishing trips that were ruined because basic tools & parts weren't stored and ready. Been broke down several times in the gulf, bay, and on the flats, and the only reason we didn't have to get towed back was being prepared for that stuff.

Granted, these modern day 4 stroke motors are WAY less maintenance. I don't even have to carry new spark plugs anymore. roflmao

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: spacejunkie] #9034988 04/17/24 01:25 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Mine are all work trucks, my daily driver doesn’t have a single tool in it because if it breaks I’m calling an Uber rofl

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: txtrophy85] #9034990 04/17/24 01:26 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

I was on an island on Whitney. I swam to my truck that was parked on the main land to get the tools to take the carb off. If it hadn't been for having the right tools in my truck, the boat would have been there all night in a storm that was coming. This was around 1984 so no phones. Pre millennial real man era.

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: skinnerback] #9034992 04/17/24 01:29 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Gonna have to disagree with you there pard. I always carry a small tool bag with only the tools that decades of running boats have taught me to keep handy on a boat, along with various spare motor parts/filters etc stored in Ziplocs sprayed with Corrosion X, because I have been on more than a few fishing trips that were ruined because basic tools & parts weren't stored and ready. Been broke down several times in the gulf, bay, and on the flats, and the only reason we didn't have to get towed back was being prepared for that stuff.

Granted, these modern day 4 stroke motors are WAY less maintenance. I don't even have to carry new spark plugs anymore. roflmao

Yeah but those are boat tools, not truck tools. Every boat needs a tool kit onboard

I carry tool kits on my UTVs as well

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: ntxtrapper] #9034993 04/17/24 01:31 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I was on an island on Whitney. I swam to my truck that was parked on the main land to get the tools to take the carb off. If it hadn't been for having the right tools in my truck, the boat would have been there all night in a storm that was coming. This was around 1984 so no phones. Pre millennial real man era.

People were tougher in the 80’s.

I would have been tempted to shoot a hole in the hull, swim back to the truck and then file a claim

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9034996 04/17/24 01:39 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
We weren't born with silver spoons in our mouths. Old 14 foot jon boat, 1950's Johnson motor, PFD was an old chunk of Styrofoam. Dedicated boat tool kit roflmao

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9034997 04/17/24 01:42 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Guess I read what you said wrong. Yes, I agree.

Not having any tools onboard a motor vessel is just stupid. On a last minute invite I once went on a bay/flats trip that resulted in us sinking in the middle of the Intracoastal Canal. I have never bailed water out of a boat so fast. We took turns, one bails water and one cranks on that motor. Sinking sucks, but the thought of trying to swim with your poles and tackle box sucks more. We were half way sunk when a good Samaritan threw a line and towed us back to the ramp. The motor ran fine then. roflmao

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: skinnerback] #9035002 04/17/24 01:52 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N

Not having any tools onboard a motor vessel is just stupid. On a last minute invite I once went on a bay/flats trip that resulted in us sinking in the middle of the Intracoastal Canal. I have never bailed water out of a boat so fast. We took turns, one bails water and one cranks on that motor. Sinking sucks, but the thought of trying to swim with your poles and tackle box sucks more. We were half way sunk when a good Samaritan threw a line and towed us back to the ramp. The motor ran fine then. roflmao

Now yes. Back then, we had no money for boat tool kits, were content to live though a fishing trip and it was a bonus if nobody went to jail.

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035003 04/17/24 01:57 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I had many trips where we went out with nothing but a few prayers and always made it back.

These days, even a leather man onboard can end up saving the day.

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: ntxtrapper] #9035025 04/17/24 02:30 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Now yes. Back then, we had no money for boat tool kits, were content to live though a fishing trip and it was a bonus if nobody went to jail.

I brought extra rods & extra tackle that day. When the boat was half full of water and the bow started pointing up I made a decision right there lol, I too, grew up poor. All this other gear can sink with the boat but the gear my Dad bought me when I was young that I used regularly....I'm gonna swim out with all of that or die trying. cheers

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035026 04/17/24 02:33 AM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H
The way trucks are built nowadays with all the computers, electronics and about 200 different sensors that can put you into limp mode i am under no illusions that i will get the vehicle running again. I just want to survive when i am 100 miles off-grid in the winter at the end of some unmaintained logging road trying to get to a trailhead or put in for some back lake fishing or hunting. Wife will send someone looking sooner or later (might be 5 days LOL) - Down sleeping bag, peanuts, jerky, whisky and water and a bigazz bonfire to cook all the fish i catch or roast me some bear backstraps.

Most of the stuff i carry is to remove obstacles on the road and occasionally get myself unstuck. Stuff comes in handy though when you have to unexpectedly camp somewhere for a few days because the weather changed and the river you crossed on the way in is no longer passable - don't ask me how i know. All i know is i won't end pulling a manling citiot trcik like McCandless.

Last edited by Hirogen; 04/17/24 02:45 AM.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: Hirogen] #9035028 04/17/24 02:40 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Hirogen
The way trucks are built nowadays with all the computers, electronics and about 200 different sensors that can put you into limp mode i am under no illusions that i will get the vehicle running again. I just want to survive when i am 100 miles off-grid in the winter at the end of some unmaintained logging road trying to get to a trailhead or put in for some back lake fishing or hunting. Wife will send someone looking sooner or later (might be 5 days LOL) - Down sleeping bag, peanuts, jerky, whisky and water and a bigazz bonfire to cook all the fish i catch or roast me some bear backstraps.

Most of the stuff i carry is to remove obstacles on the road and occasionally get myself unstuck. Stuff comes in handy though when you have to camp somewhere for a few days.

Anything that has the potential of putting me in limp mode, I'm out. cheers

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: skinnerback] #9035029 04/17/24 02:42 AM
H
Hirogen Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
H

Most of the stuff i carry is to remove obstacles on the road and occasionally get myself unstuck. Stuff comes in handy though when you have to camp somewhere for a few days.

Wise. That's when i retire and no longer need the HD diesel gonna get me an old full resto-mod FJ and beat the ^&*% out of it.

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: skinnerback] #9035045 04/17/24 03:23 AM
Ol Thumper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Fat chicks and chicks with skin rockets seem to fit that narrative as well roflmao

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: Ol Thumper] #9035080 04/17/24 10:59 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Fat chicks and chicks with skin rockets seem to fit that narrative as well roflmao

Depends on how much accelerator you have in the tank. rofl

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035130 04/17/24 01:26 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
over the years, I have come across needs when out and about (deer lease, ranch, tractors, trailers, friends, etc.) and my truck & associated tool boxes have been adequately accessorized for anything I might come up against. The list keeps growing as I come across a new adventure from time to time. You just never know what's around the next corner. Yeah, there is stuff in my truck/tool boxes that hasn't seen the light of day in a long time, but if I were to downsize, surely the next day I would need it again. Pretty easy to just drive the truck to where the tools are needed

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035166 04/17/24 02:35 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I keep some ratchet straps and a small bag of assorted tools under the back seat. A case of water and a jumpstarter on the floorboard, and a milkcrate full of various stuff in the bed. When I go to the lease, I have a bigger toolbox and a large plastic container of stuff primarily for use at the ranch.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: Hirogen] #9035197 04/17/24 03:20 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
U

Most of the stuff i carry is to remove obstacles on the road and occasionally get myself unstuck. Stuff comes in handy though when you have to unexpectedly camp somewhere for a few days because the weather changed and the river you crossed on the way in is no longer passable - don't ask me how i know. All i know is i won't end pulling a manling citiot trcik like McCandless.

I disagree. Engines today still run on the same basic principle that they did 100 years ago. Fuel, air, spark. Carry an OBD scanner tool in your truck with you and it can be easier to diagnose the problem today than it was with the older vehicles.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035249 04/17/24 05:36 PM
D
driftwood257 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
My toolbox is full of useful stuff. I cant image having a truck without a toolbox full of good stuff.

Re: Should your man card be revoked [Re: DustyArmadillo] #9035316 04/17/24 08:08 PM
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have a truck toolbox that is loaded with stuff. However, if at home I have multiple tool boxes to use. If at my rural property I’m also loaded.
Only reason I would need to get in the truck box is if I had a flat.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide