5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry #9026456 03/29/24 05:27 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9026470 03/29/24 05:42 PM
U
unclebubba Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
U
The Officers could have handled the situation better. The 2A activists could have handled the situation better.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9026666 03/30/24 09:04 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I doubt many (if any) will devote the time to listen to the oral arguments, but it is well worth it.

Important not to accept that one side or the other 'could have handled the situation better'. Nothing changes if these things are not hashed out.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9026847 03/30/24 07:42 PM
M
Mickey Moose Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
M

My botnet is bigger than yours.
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9027056 03/31/24 01:07 PM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
At the time of this occurrence the City of Olmos Park had in place an 'Ordinance' prohibiting the open carry of a loaded firearm.

That was very much in conflict with State Law and was later repealed.

But what it tells me...is that the city (officials) were hostile to the idea of openly carrying a long gun (loaded, or probably otherwise) to begin with.

This invites confrontation of an otherwise legal practice. All charges against the two individuals 'carrying' were dropped of course. Another thing that is telling.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9049814 05/20/24 02:18 PM
B
BDB Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
B
Legal, but otherwise 2 F'ing stupid people. I get tired of the pro open carry people doing something that is NEVER going to do or make anything their doing positive. I could go into walmart and start showing shoppers my new glock , but would that be smart?

just because its legal, can also be stupid

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: BDB] #9056651 06/03/24 06:05 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by BDB
Legal, but otherwise 2 F'ing stupid people. I get tired of the pro open carry people doing something that is NEVER going to do or make anything their doing positive. I could go into walmart and start showing shoppers my new glock , but would that be smart?

Yep. The first person the bank robber is going to pop in the dome is the open carry nerd.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: ntxtrapper] #9057009 06/04/24 02:24 PM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by BDB

Yep. The first person the bank robber is going to pop in the dome is the open carry nerd.

saw an idiot in wal mart recently that had his 45 on one hip and a large fixed blade on the other.

his right to do it but a total moron move imo.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: hopalong] #9057103 06/04/24 06:12 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by hopalong
Originally Posted by BDB

saw an idiot in wal mart recently that had his 45 on one hip and a large fixed blade on the other.

This sort of thing should be no more noticeable or remarkable as someone wearing shoes. I used to go to AZ a lot to hunt as a teen and nearly every man at every grocery store had a gun on their hip. Parts of New Mexico used to be the same until the blues moved there and ruined the place.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: blkt2] #9057226 06/04/24 10:30 PM
Uncle Zeek Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by blkt2
Originally Posted by BDB

This sort of thing should be no more noticeable or remarkable as someone wearing shoes. I used to go to AZ a lot to hunt as a teen and nearly every man at every grocery store had a gun on their hip. Parts of New Mexico used to be the same until the blues moved there and ruined the place.

I do open carry sometimes, but do so when wearing more professional clothing - like a suit for instance, or at least jeans, boots, and a blazer. Attire makes a big difference in the perceptions of non-citizens when they see someone wearing a gun. Also make a difference whether you're wearing a holstered sidearm, or have on a tacticool belt with every possible accoutrement you can load onto it.

My attitude about the hypothetical bank robber shooting me first is that a) he has to SEE me wearing the gun before he starts his intended crime, and b) having seen me, he has to decide whether he's going to be able to stop me before I can shoot him. I honestly think that most criminals are such brazen cowards that they'll turn and leave if they see an armed citizen rather than attempting to win an even gunfight.

"Decency is not news; it's buried in the obituaries, but it's a force stronger than crime" ~ Robert A. Heinlein
Artim Law Firm, PLLC
Estate, probate & taxes AND 07/02 FFL
2250 Morriss Road, Suite 205 Flower Mound TX 75028
972-746-0758 work
zac@artimlegal.com
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: blkt2] #9058985 06/08/24 11:10 AM
hopalong Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by blkt2
Originally Posted by BDB

colorado was open carry when I was guiding, a lot of folks carried in durango/pagosa but this was back in the early 80s.

the dude in wal mart was "show carrying" was what it looked like to me. wal mart in paris gets some good ones.

lake fork FISHERMANS COVE MARINA - 903 474 7479 reservations

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9059048 06/08/24 02:28 PM
D
duffas Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Zeek - interesting that banks used to have armed guards but then stopped. Rational was - 'no guns, no probable fire fight in the bank'. Basic liability thinking and they just write off cash losses. Same with gun-free zones - interesting, law is there to be able to prosecute, kinda a catch-all. But if the gun is used, they can prosecute anyway. Silly law makers covering their rears (liability again).

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9059444 06/09/24 02:06 PM
J.G. Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
I do open carry sometimes, but do so when wearing more professional clothing - like a suit for instance, or at least jeans, boots, and a blazer. Attire makes a big difference in the perceptions of non-citizens when they see someone wearing a gun. Also make a difference whether you're wearing a holstered sidearm, or have on a tacticool belt with every possible accoutrement you can load onto it.

My attitude about the hypothetical bank robber shooting me first is that a) he has to SEE me wearing the gun before he starts his intended crime, and b) having seen me, he has to decide whether he's going to be able to stop me before I can shoot him. I honestly think that most criminals are such brazen cowards that they'll turn and leave if they see an armed citizen rather than attempting to win an even gunfight.

Every law enforcement friend I have say openly carrying is a foolish thing to do.

Be the Grey Man, and keep the weapons concealed.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: J.G.] #9059785 06/10/24 11:30 AM
The Dude Abides Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek

Every law enforcement friend I have say openly carrying is a foolish thing to do.

Be the Grey Man, and keep the weapons concealed.

^^^This

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9060157 06/10/24 11:43 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Agree be the grey man.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9060158 06/10/24 11:43 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Agree be the grey man.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9061548 06/13/24 11:25 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior

Last edited by kmon11; 06/13/24 11:26 PM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9069488 06/29/24 07:02 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I can see both sides of this argument, but in the end I think it would be most beneficial if the public at large become accustomed to seeing guns openly carried without witnessing the bloodbath the anti-gun nazis claim is inevitable.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9070646 07/02/24 01:56 PM
B
Big Sam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
I've lived in PA for nearly 50 years. Open carry has been legal here for longer than that. I cannot begin to tell you how big a deal this is NOT. Personally I only see open carry about once a year. It is a non starter. Nobody cares. Well.... I restate that. If you don't look like you are threatening people, nobody cares. Much like constitutional carry the end of the world claims are just hot air. And yes, stupid stuff happens. Stupid stuff is all around us with everything and you can't outlaw stupid.

Personally I do not see the benefit to open carry but that is a choice a free man gets to make.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9073389 07/08/24 11:09 PM
T
tenyearsgone Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
T
I'm good with it.

Those two look exactly like the types that would start a mass shooting. Yeah, I know assumptions and all, but assumptions keep us safe.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: Mickey Moose] #9079718 07/22/24 02:16 AM
D
deerfeeder Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Back in the day, our office building had a bank on the first floor, you had to walk through the lobby to get to the stairs or elevator. We were plain clothes, the bank guards knew us, we did not open carry anywhere. I still carry, but it's not showing the world. I don't even wanna be the grey man. I wanna be the guy that looks so ordinary that people don't even notice or see me.

Re: 5th Circuit Appeal Texas Open Carry [Re: deerfeeder] #9079992 07/22/24 05:34 PM
P
psycho0819 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
P
Originally Posted by deerfeeder
I wanna be the guy that looks so ordinary that people don't even notice or see me.

That is the contextual definition of being "the gray man".

Tolerance is the virtue of a man without conviction.

The end of the world began the day it was created, and life is a sexually transmitted terminal disease.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide