Bad day

BNSF
Columbia sports
Nike
Fidelity
US Army
Citi
and more……. Feb was worst layoffs since 09, March is in record pace already

For those effected it's gut wrenching. A real kick in the nuts. Hit the ground running as others companies are hiring. In time all will be well, as hard as it may seem to believe.

'09, very bad for our company.

Boss called us all into the big room with the nice chairs. Announced lay-offs, 20% pay cuts for everybody else, no more matching 401K, all paid leave/vacation had to be taken followed by mandatory unpaid 2 week furlough for the entire company, including president and CEO. Stock tanked very soon thereafter.

I had two decisions to make; where to spend my time off and how many shares to buy at less than $1.00. A few years later, all good, everything back the way it was with a company that was more lean and profitable. It traded for $145.00 yesterday.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016651 03/08/24 12:34 PM
S
Stub Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
The Puppet Masters (Swamp) will force the Fed to lower interest rates and gas prices while continuing with their BS rhetoric on blaming President Trump and the Republicans for the countries woes.
I have said this many months ago that the stock market is somehow artificially inflated by the swamp for political (votes) purposes.

If the DemoRats are able to steal the election again in 2024, this country will go to Hell in a hand basket right after that.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016661 03/08/24 12:47 PM
topwater13 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by topwater13
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
All kinda woke. Don’t know about bnsf

its not woke straight up economy, some funny money going around. our stock is up 20% this last two weeks based off market in general, yet I I know we predicted first negative growth in company history and continue lowering analyst expectations.

I think the economy is way worse then is being reported

I agree. I think we may be in for a ride regarding stocks. Our Texas economy may hold out better than most with so much demand here still.

A ton of stock was sold last month by majority owners.

https://fortune.com/2024/02/27/the-...-month-some-for-the-first-time-ever/amp/

we where pretty insulated in 09 as a state. Not sure this time around.

Yes but now there are even MORE people moving here. Houses, apts, schools......etc. The other thing we have going for us is the amount of big biz that has come to our state since then. Charles schwab, toyota, state farm, tesla, dell, oracle.....the list goes on.

Re: layoffs [Re: S.A. hunter] #9016686 03/08/24 01:47 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by S.A. hunter
Originally Posted by jskin
It is what it is......every party has to end sometime.

That’s how you feel about the economy? Lots of lives at stake

He is just trolling as usual.

Are yall surprised?

No sir, true to your dumba$$ form as usual

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: layoffs [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #9016692 03/08/24 01:59 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline OP
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Bad day

BNSF
Columbia sports
Nike
Fidelity
US Army
Citi

For those effected it's gut wrenching. A real kick in the nuts. Hit the ground running as others companies are hiring. In time all will be well, as hard as it may seem to believe.

Boss called us all into the big room with the nice chairs. Announced lay-offs, 20% pay cuts for everybody else, no more matching 401K, all paid leave/vacation had to be taken followed by mandatory unpaid 2 week furlough for the entire company, including president and CEO. Stock tanked very soon thereafter.

I had two decisions to make; where to spend my time off and how many shares to buy at less than $1.00. A few years later, all good, everything back the way it was with a company that was more lean and profitable. It traded for $145.00 yesterday.

I did same thing in 09. we lucked out I only had to let go of one person on my team that year.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016708 03/08/24 02:24 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
Bad day

BNSF
Columbia sports
Nike
Fidelity
US Army
Citi

I did same thing in 09. we lucked out I only had to let go of one person on my team that year.

Buy when people are worried, sell when they're not. Worked for me.

Re: layoffs [Re: kry226] #9016710 03/08/24 02:38 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by kry226
Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Army? What are they laying off? Civil service or troops?

civilian support services are where the real cuts will be. others are open roles they cant fill.

Source?

The only civilian reductions I can find are from over a year ago, and there's no conversations of the like with the actual civilian workforce that I'm aware. I currently work with mostly civilians who are in truly vulnerable roles (read: the easiest to sacrifice) and no one is talking about it.

The only recent mention of this I can find is on the green-suit side. The Army is in a constant effort of analyzing its force structure to ensure it's right-sized to match personnel with capabilities, mission, and the next "fight." As an example, as technology advances, you no longer need the same amount of Soldiers manning a certain piece of equipment. In my field, platoon sizes are half the size they were 20 years ago. It's just reality. The other reality is meeting constraints imposed by Congress. If Congress tells the Army to go from 495k to 470k, well, you do exactly that. It's law and not really an economic factor with the exception meeting budget restraints, also set by Congress.

But like you said, the vast majority of these jobs are already vacant, but no one is being sent home. The last real RIF was in 2013-2015ish. Most of the time, the Army can meet required reductions through natural attrition.

The biggest concern right now is trying to run a military force on continuing resolutions, which is nearly impossible and really hurts modernization efforts.

Source is internal and competition. civilian as in consulting services/contractors (engineering/IT, etc)

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016715 03/08/24 02:54 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Military has layoffs, too. QMP and QSP. Cut the “middle” out, replace you with younger, healthier, cheaper labor. Save money on pensions and retirement benefits.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 03/08/24 02:56 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016724 03/08/24 03:03 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
Originally Posted by Sniper John
Another way to look at it. For every 5 million workers that leave their jobs every month, another 5 million get hired someplace else.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Blockbuster job growth in the past several months has coincided with high-profile layoff announcements by a number of large companies.

So, how are both occurring at the same time? It’s not as contradictory as it might seem. Recent job cuts have been concentrated mainly in just a few sectors: technology, finance and media.

Relative to the U.S. labor force of 160 million people, layoffs so far have been dwarfed by consistently vigorous hiring — a monthly average of 248,000 jobs added over the past six months. The unemployment rate is still just 3.7%, barely above a 50-year low.

It turns out that many of the companies that are now shedding jobs had over-hired during the pandemic, when they thought the trends that emerged then — especially a surge in online shopping — would continue apace. As the economy has normalized, many of these companies have discovered that they no longer need so many employees and have responded with layoffs.

https://apnews.com/article/jobs-hir...flation-29028a515cfd6250f3588254e77e6922

Couple companies I mention are on their third rift since 01. They haven't been hiring. I dont think the unemployment numbers are near as good as being reported. Time will tell. Paypal earnings last qtr was telling tale of retail. Looks like another bad earnings coming.

The morning Job report.

U.S. economy adds 275,000 jobs in February, above 198,000 forecast

U.S. unemployment rate rises to 3.9% in February from 3.7%

The Dec and Jan jobs report was revised lower but still not bad numbers after the revision. There are of course a hundred ways to break the rest of it down like what areas increased jobs and what areas cut jobs, could cause the feds to wait longer to lower rates or not, low wage growth, and more. More than enough good and bad points for market experts to spin it good or bad depending on what kind of books they publish. The main thing is the sky is not falling.

Re: layoffs [Re: Sniper John] #9016733 03/08/24 03:16 PM
kind of a big deal
OP Offline
kind of a big deal
Another way to look at it. For every 5 million workers that leave their jobs every month, another 5 million get hired someplace else.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Blockbuster job growth in the past several months has coincided with high-profile layoff announcements by a number of large companies.

So, how are both occurring at the same time? It’s not as contradictory as it might seem. Recent job cuts have been concentrated mainly in just a few sectors: technology, finance and media.

Relative to the U.S. labor force of 160 million people, layoffs so far have been dwarfed by consistently vigorous hiring — a monthly average of 248,000 jobs added over the past six months. The unemployment rate is still just 3.7%, barely above a 50-year low.

It turns out that many of the companies that are now shedding jobs had over-hired during the pandemic, when they thought the trends that emerged then — especially a surge in online shopping — would continue apace. As the economy has normalized, many of these companies have discovered that they no longer need so many employees and have responded with layoffs.

https://apnews.com/article/jobs-hir...flation-29028a515cfd6250f3588254e77e6922

Couple companies I mention are on their third rift since 01. They haven't been hiring. I dont think the unemployment numbers are near as good as being reported. Time will tell. Paypal earnings last qtr was telling tale of retail. Looks like another bad earnings coming.

The morning Job report.

U.S. economy adds 275,000 jobs in February, above 198,000 forecast

U.S. unemployment rate rises to 3.9% in February from 3.7%

The Dec and Jan jobs report was revised lower but still not bad numbers after the revision. There are of course a hundred ways to break the rest of it down like what areas increased jobs and what areas cut jobs, could cause the feds to wait longer to lower rates or not, low wage growth, and more. More than enough good and bad points for market experts to spin it good or bad depending on what kind of books they publish. The main thing is the sky is not falling.

Watch the real earnings reports and forecast, not stock prices
Dive in and watch American segment performance

general - adecco, manpower, robert half

services- NTT data, Accenture, Cap Gemni, ASGN

Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016743 03/08/24 03:26 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Watch the real earnings reports and forecast, not stock prices

general - adecco, manpower, robert half

services- NTT data, Accenture, Cap Gemni, ASGN

up

Re: layoffs [Re: Stub] #9016753 03/08/24 03:41 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stub
The Puppet Masters (Swamp) will force the Fed to lower interest rates and gas prices while continuing with their BS rhetoric on blaming President Trump and the Republicans for the countries woes.
I have said this many months ago that the stock market is somehow artificially inflated by the swamp for political (votes) purposes.

If the DemoRats are able to steal the election again in 2024, this country will go to Hell in a hand basket right after that.

The stock market is high due to 6 trillion dollars conjured out of thin air and injected into the economy, in my opinion. That is one reason why industrial stocks are higher than they have been in recent years. Once that money runs through the system, I expect things to get ugly.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: layoffs [Re: jskin] #9016776 03/08/24 04:30 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

Soooo, your mad at me because the economy has been artificial for the last 4 years, and now it's time to pay the piper?

The government screwed things up, and pumped tons of money into the economy...... printing money out of thin air, and you expect a soft landing? You think this ends nicely?

Re: layoffs [Re: S.A. hunter] #9016787 03/08/24 05:03 PM
J
jskin Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

Soooo, your mad at me because the economy has been artificial for the last 4 years, and now it's time to pay the piper?

The government screwed things up, and pumped tons of money into the economy...... printing money out of thin air, and you expect a soft landing? You think this ends nicely?

No I’m mad because you crawl out from under your rock everyday and keep showing up

"While we are postponing, life speeds by"

Re: layoffs [Re: Sniper John] #9016795 03/08/24 05:25 PM
Tbar Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
The jobs numbers they are reporting are crap. Feb jobs report adds 275k (until the revision that no one remembers) yet unemployment rose from 3.7% to 3.9%.

January jobs report revised from 353k to 229k. A 35% reduction…really???

Dec jobs report also revised from 333k to 290k.

Make America Great Again

Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016796 03/08/24 05:25 PM
TurkeyHunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
The big layoff cycle seems to happen about every 5-6 years or so? Been in industry since 1989.

People like Dave Davidson on here have sure helped a lot of people with the transition.

To be determined
Re: layoffs [Re: jskin] #9016799 03/08/24 05:34 PM
S
S.A. hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
S

No I’m mad because you crawl out from under your rock everyday and keep showing up

up

Re: layoffs [Re: 10 Gauge] #9016800 03/08/24 05:43 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
Military has layoffs, too. QMP and QSP. Cut the “middle” out, replace you with younger, healthier, cheaper labor. Save money on pensions and retirement benefits.

Right...they get rid of the folks that do NOT meet the standards. I would not call that a layoff.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: layoffs [Re: Tbar] #9016802 03/08/24 05:49 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by Tbar
The jobs numbers they are reporting are crap. Feb jobs report adds 275k (until the revision that no one remembers) yet unemployment rose from 3.7% to 3.9%.

They've had to heavily 'revise' the lie every month that FJB has been in office.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: layoffs [Re: Tbar] #9016804 03/08/24 05:54 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Tbar

Yep, been that way for years, even under Obammy

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9016806 03/08/24 05:56 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General

I've never seen QSP used that I can recall. QMP is for NCOs with UCMJ, DUI, GOMOR, etc. IME, the vast majority needed to go home, although the Army did lose some of the best NCOs simply because they had something derogatory in their file from many years before. During the RIFs back in 2013-2015, they boarded all officers and those who didn't make the cut with a strong enough file were shown the door, and it wasn't pretty or pleasant. Was serving with an officer in AFG who was cut and immediately redeployed to outprocess the Army.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2015/12/08/ncos-to-be-screened-by-three-qmp-boards-in-2016/

Originally Posted by kry226

Originally Posted by Dave Davidson
Army? What are they laying off? Civil service or troops?

civilian support services are where the real cuts will be. others are open roles they cant fill.

Source?

The only civilian reductions I can find are from over a year ago, and there's no conversations of the like with the actual civilian workforce that I'm aware. I currently work with mostly civilians who are in truly vulnerable roles (read: the easiest to sacrifice) and no one is talking about it.

The only recent mention of this I can find is on the green-suit side. The Army is in a constant effort of analyzing its force structure to ensure it's right-sized to match personnel with capabilities, mission, and the next "fight." As an example, as technology advances, you no longer need the same amount of Soldiers manning a certain piece of equipment. In my field, platoon sizes are half the size they were 20 years ago. It's just reality. The other reality is meeting constraints imposed by Congress. If Congress tells the Army to go from 495k to 470k, well, you do exactly that. It's law and not really an economic factor with the exception meeting budget restraints, also set by Congress.

But like you said, the vast majority of these jobs are already vacant, but no one is being sent home. The last real RIF was in 2013-2015ish. Most of the time, the Army can meet required reductions through natural attrition.

The biggest concern right now is trying to run a military force on continuing resolutions, which is nearly impossible and really hurts modernization efforts.

Source is internal and competition. civilian as in consulting services/contractors (engineering/IT, etc)

Ah, contractors. Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast... by definition they're inherently temporary. Contracts have start and end dates and I've never spoken to one who wasn't aware that their contract may not be renewed (for a range of factors, but again it doesn't help when Congress won't pass a budget). Lots of floating between being a contractor and DoD/DA civilian jobs too. Doesn't make it any easier or take away the sting.

[Linked Image]
Re: layoffs [Re: The Dude Abides] #9016808 03/08/24 05:58 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides

Right...they get rid of the folks that do NOT meet the standards. I would not call that a layoff.

Exactly. IME, everytime we got rid of the dead weight. One round, we cut 3 "administrative assistants" as part of the RIF. All they did was BS, gossip, stir up trouble and spend most of their time selling Mary Kay make up. Technology caught up with them. Funny thing, they got canned, were not replaced and nobody missed them.

Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9017004 03/09/24 01:29 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Things are gonna get worse. Biden, with the able assistance of Congress, has looted the economy with all of the build back and build back better programs/scams.

INFLATION!!
The $ that we have put into Social Security won’t be enough to get along on in retirement. Look at your grocery bill, real estate values/taxes, etc. It’s all inflated and yet the $ put aside in all kind of retirement accounts, isn’t. That’s in constant dollars.

Look at rents, auto prices, food,etc. The $ doesn’t stretch as far. My home that I bought 25 years ago has inflated/doubled/tripled in value and taxes. And yet, it’s still only shelter. A new pickup truck can run from $65,000 to $75,000. How are salaries in comparison?

I expect a lot of layoffs. Take a good look at your cash flow vs monthly expenses. Start planning and get defensive. Some of us old guys have been here before.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9017024 03/09/24 02:22 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Truth be told, most every corporate entity has too many people. From personal observation, it takes about 5 years to,go from a lean mean business to a bloated organization. Everybody wants their own team, so they hire an assistant. In a short 5 years, a substantial gross profit gets eaten up to the point there is no longer an acceptable return. They then hire consultants to tell them what they are doing wrong. The only answer is to cut overhead, but they rarely do that.

In 1990 I hired on to Texaco Chemical. They were the perfect example of being a bloated organization. Few people really did anything. They were bleeding money. Scared the crap out of me when I realized how poorly it was run. But in 1994 we were bought by a true lean mean company that got rid of everyone that didn’t bring something to the table. I survived the purge and was given a job to take over a function, run it, and do it with about 50% of the existing staff. Deep down, I didn’t think it would be possible, but it was. Until I dug into who did what and why, I thought everyone had a task. But they didn’t. I started running my group with about 60 people and retired doing it with 15 really good people.

It’s the overhead that kills a company, and the overhead is people. If companies are laying off people, they are worried about the future and trying now to do more with less. It’s the part about worrying about the future that worries me.

I date back to using slide rules. I predate computers. I’ve seen a lot. Technology keeps screaming along, and more can be done with less now. I went from not knowing what a computer was to selling software I wrote. The world keeps changing.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: layoffs [Re: BOBO the Clown] #9017033 03/09/24 03:02 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I remember slide rules but you don’t predate computers. The first working one was the Eniac in the early 1940’s. I got into them in 1964, in the USAF. In those days we worked in Data Processing which became IT. We had a 4k IBM 1401 EAM (electric accounting machine) using punched cards. My phone will do a lot more than that it did.

Last edited by Dave Davidson; 03/09/24 03:04 AM.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide