Forums46
Topics543,522
Posts9,799,555
Members87,476
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001031 02/06/24 08:58 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Well done Wytex. You are the (wo)man!

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001040 02/06/24 09:14 PM
M
Mr. 806 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
We culled 8, had hoped for 10 - 12 but kiddos sports derailed most of the season. 1 hog, 2 coyotes and 50+ 'coons. Let all mature deer walk another year.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: skinnerback] #9001317 02/07/24 02:34 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by Wytex
Thank you sir.

I had a WT tag but the bucks moved out before season opened, doe too
Might get in a day hog hunt over the eclipse week, we'll be down then.
We'll trap some beaver when the creek opens up again.

Good luck to you all still at it.

Do yall eat the cats?

No we don't. I can't get past the smell they have while cooking but mt lion is good.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Wytex] #9001321 02/07/24 02:44 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Thank you sir.

I had a WT tag but the bucks moved out before season opened, doe too
Might get in a day hog hunt over the eclipse week, we'll be down then.
We'll trap some beaver when the creek opens up again.

Good luck to you all still at it.

Do yall eat the cats?

No we don't. I can't get past the smell they have while cooking but mt lion is good.

I've always heard lion is good...

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001374 02/07/24 04:16 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Wytex, love the pics. Like the look of that muley.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001430 02/07/24 05:48 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Under expectations but as well as it could looking back. Won't be able to get back out before the end of the MLD seasons calling it now. Lots of construction and dirt work on the interior of the ranch that displaced a fair amount of deer and pressured many into being nocturnal. Unique buck counts are at 70% or so of what they were last year. 1.5 year old buck class is also the lightest I have seen in many years. Friend killed one out of the three bucks we expected to have a real shot at getting this year which was exciting for him. Well under on doe harvests as well. Two years of drought means the 400 acres we lease on the east side of the ranch had little to no cover as all three pastures were opened up to cattle and they munched it to the dirt. That is historically where our doe counts are the highest so may bounce back with rain, green grass, and cattle rotations.

Had a very nice season shooting hogs, despite lower numbers for the third consecutive year. I think our count in the fall/winter is around 30 or so. No big boars to speak of but one very nice fat sow that is making my freezer very happy.

Canceled one of our duck hunts in AR due to no birds. The other, I wasn't able to join but had limits for the rest of the gang.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001434 02/07/24 05:56 PM
R
rabst Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Decent season for me, though I only hunted about 7 days total. Dropped two does for a friend of mine (my freezer is still pretty full from last season's elk [cow]). Had an opportunity to take an aoudad one evening, but took pics instead. Spent only one day on a dove hunt, but it was a great one.

Well into my 60s, nowadays, for me, it's more about hanging out with buds, some of whom I've hunted with since back in HS.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Double AC] #9001491 02/07/24 07:56 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Double AC
Under expectations but as well as it could looking back. Won't be able to get back out before the end of the MLD seasons calling it now. Lots of construction and dirt work on the interior of the ranch that displaced a fair amount of deer and pressured many into being nocturnal. Unique buck counts are at 70% or so of what they were last year. 1.5 year old buck class is also the lightest I have seen in many years. Friend killed one out of the three bucks we expected to have a real shot at getting this year which was exciting for him. Well under on doe harvests as well. Two years of drought means the 400 acres we lease on the east side of the ranch had little to no cover as all three pastures were opened up to cattle and they munched it to the dirt. That is historically where our doe counts are the highest so may bounce back with rain, green grass, and cattle rotations.

Had a very nice season shooting hogs, despite lower numbers for the third consecutive year. I think our count in the fall/winter is around 30 or so. No big boars to speak of but one very nice fat sow that is making my freezer very happy.

Canceled one of our duck hunts in AR due to no birds. The other, I wasn't able to join but had limits for the rest of the gang.

Double AC, can you elaborate on your comment about unique buck counts at 70%. Just curious and always wanting to learn.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9001675 02/08/24 01:13 AM
R
rolyat.nosaj Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
R
It was ok, got a big alligator that has been fun on the culinary side. Bagged a doe. I was so busy working 2 jobs that I feel fortunate to get what I did. All public hunting.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9003839 02/11/24 04:29 PM
R
rickym Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Season was great for us. Nephew got his first deer and duck, I shot my two biggest bucks, and guided many successful hunters. Still working on axis until turkey season gets here.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9003865 02/11/24 05:31 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Down south last gasping it right now. Let golden opportunity slip away walking back in. Dang Nilgai outsmarted me. Not that that is hard do to. Guess I’ll put down the iron sights, quit the spot & stalk and actually get in a blind. Headed back out after some lunch.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9003870 02/11/24 05:55 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I hope you get him.

Joshua 1:9
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Hudbone] #9003871 02/11/24 05:56 PM
P
Pope&Young Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Down south last gasping it right now. Let golden opportunity slip away walking back in. Dang Nilgai outsmarted me. Not that that is hard do to. Guess I’ll put down the iron sights, quit the spot & stalk and actually get in a blind. Headed back out after some lunch.

Good luck up

[Linked Image]
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9004701 02/12/24 11:24 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Only had two mgt deer this year. For whatever reason, does were seldom seen and gave them a pass. Can’t make much sausage with only two deer. All turned around this morning when ran across dumb young nilgai bull fifty yards away in the brush. I was in the open and he was behind some brush. Thinking he thought I couldn’t see him, I guess. Does not matter. Scrambled his brains and put him in the cooler. I am fortunate. Will have steaks and probably near enough sausage. That makes a good year.
[Linked Image]

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9004704 02/12/24 11:27 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
well done Hud!!!

we had same doe problem, but when you think about drought and the lack of recruitment over last three years, then combined it with a lush wet mild winter… Not suprising doe where spares and not corn hounds.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9004706 02/12/24 11:33 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
That is a good ending for a so - so season . Congrats!

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Hudbone] #9004714 02/12/24 11:40 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Only had two mgt deer this year. For whatever reason, does were seldom seen and gave them a pass. Can’t make much sausage with only two deer. All turned around this morning when ran across dumb young nilgai bull fifty yards away in the brush. I was in the open and he was behind some brush. Thinking he thought I couldn’t see him, I guess. Does not matter. Scrambled his brains and put him in the cooler. I am fortunate. Will have steaks and probably near enough sausage. That makes a good year.
[Linked Image]

Well done Sir.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: skinnerback] #9004741 02/13/24 12:31 AM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
[Linked Image]

Well done Sir.

Take what God and His land gives you. Well done. cheers

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Creekrunner] #9004742 02/13/24 12:34 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
[Linked Image]

Well done Sir.

Good stuff.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: skinnerback] #9004779 02/13/24 02:11 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
I didn't kill anything this year (could have) but my kids did, and that was the goal. Kid's missed a few & WE learned some lessons. All-in-all it was another great season shared with a group of great folks that I sure do appreciate and like being around.

Kids are bugging me daily to go back to the lease...........We have Spring Turkey, rabbits, & song dogs coming up.....Hopefully I can put them on some turkey because they are pretty pumped about that.

They had their first experience with turkey on a friend's ranch last year and I've never heard the end of it, which is a good thing..

Just grabbed a few pics from last season to share. Love doing what I love with whom I love.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

First 22 pistol and his first rabbit, shot right in the head.

[Linked Image]

Cleaning her first doe.

[Linked Image]

She wolf, that wants to hunt every weekend and is known to howl at the moon......apparently she gets that from somebody. grin
Her favorite thing to do is sharpen knives, and she's getting pretty good at it.

[Linked Image]

When it's not She-Wolf's turn to shoot, and it's cold........ Never complained though....

[Linked Image]

Finally was able to get my oldest boy up for a trip again. He has given me two beautiful Grandson's and he works a lot, so the few days that we get to spend outdoors these days are more special than they used to be. He hadn't shot a deer in years.

[Linked Image]

Deer froze solid hanging up overnight, something us S Texas boys aren't used to LOL. We were gonna skin/quarter/pack in ice like we always do, but......my Son & I kept flipping that frozen doe around in all kinds of positions around the ice chests (there were more). We both finally put enough weight on her to get her legs down under the top bed of the truck. While we were doing this my little girl kept saying "This is so cool!" roflmao It snowed until we got almost to San Antone, that was cool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9004806 02/13/24 02:53 AM
JimBridger Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You’re livin the life brother! Great job with the kiddos. up

Last edited by JimBridger; 02/13/24 02:54 AM.

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9004810 02/13/24 03:05 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: JimBridger] #9004837 02/13/24 04:22 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by JimBridger
You’re livin the life brother! Great job with the kiddos. up

Thank you. Working on getting big Sis back into the picture.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: Creekrunner] #9004902 02/13/24 01:22 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
[quote=skinnerback][quote=Hudbone]Only had two mgt deer this year. For whatever reason, does were seldom seen and gave them a pass. Can’t make much sausage with only two deer. All turned around this morning when ran across dumb young nilgai bull fifty yards away in the brush. I was in the open and he was behind some brush. Thinking he thought I couldn’t see him, I guess. Does not matter. Scrambled his brains and put him in the cooler. I am fortunate. Will have steaks and probably near enough sausage. That makes a good year.

Accepted and cherished.

Re: So how did your hunting season go? [Re: notamtchance] #9006080 02/15/24 06:17 PM
N
notamtchance Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
N
Great kid time there. Make me miss my time with the kids when they were young. My son who are now 28 and 23 still insist on sitting in the blind with me instead of their own blind every time we go hunting together. I Love it

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide