Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9002197 02/08/24 09:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
I went to their website and it says that it's $15 per month for up to 750 photos and goes up to $40 per month
for unlimited. I could not tell if there was a limit on number of camera's.
https://www.cuddeback.com/CellManagement/CuddelinkCellPlans

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: BigTxBassMan] #9002654 02/09/24 05:35 PM
O
Ox190 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O
Originally Posted by BigTxBassMan
I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Spypoint. I've got four with the built-in solar charger and am really happy with them.

The older ones weren't great (having to manually update firmware, batteries not lasting long, etc), but the newer models seem to be doing pretty well.

Last edited by Ox190; 02/09/24 05:35 PM.

"There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre." Louis L'Amour
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9002696 02/09/24 06:48 PM
H
HuntnFly67 Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
H
I like the 'shareability' of images with Tactacam; we have 5 owned by different leasemates and all get to see each others pics. Solar packs were added to supplement batteries and it worked quite well this season. Will be adding another 4 or 5 this year.

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9003422 02/10/24 10:14 PM
8skate Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Have two Tactacams that have been in use for a year. Have been pleased with them.

The unbelievable things is they both went under water with the rains a few weeks ago. One of them after being under water for 6 days sent a picture of water receding.

Picked it up last week let it dry out put batteries in and it seems to be working. Have not tried the other one yet.

No, I did not get any underwater pictures.

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9003429 02/10/24 10:24 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
In my ignorance, it took me until this past week to realize that a weak signal will drain the batteries quickly. bang However, the one Tactacam that just "keeps on ticking" shows "weak signal" when you look. I guess there's different levels of "weak." That's what she said. But I digress...

'Realized I have enough Cabela's points to at least order a solar charger and lithium cartridge for another one and try it out. 'Just want something to tell me when to drop the cell signal gate on a pig corral. rifle

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a data plan for the old, 3rd one, if, in fact, it was just a weak signal draining that one. I just don't need that much instant information. confused2

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: Creekrunner] #9003487 02/11/24 12:15 AM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
In my ignorance, it took me until this past week to realize that a weak signal will drain the batteries quickly. bang However, the one Tactacam that just "keeps on ticking" shows "weak signal" when you look. I guess there's different levels of "weak." That's what she said. But I digress...

'Realized I have enough Cabela's points to at least order a solar charger and lithium cartridge for another one and try it out. 'Just want something to tell me when to drop the cell signal gate on a pig corral. rifle

I'm having a hard time pulling the trigger on a data plan for the old, 3rd one, if, in fact, it was just a weak signal draining that one. I just don't need that much instant information. confused2

We have the lithium batteries with solar charger, 4 days clouds and rain we took a charge pack out and plugged in the cameras for a couple hours got it back u to normal.

The extended range antenna might be worth it for you, improved one of ours 1 to 2 bars and get pics from it timely now.

Last edited by kmon11; 02/11/24 12:15 AM.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9003500 02/11/24 12:24 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Extended range antenna ordered. Thank you! 'Had just enough Cabela's points. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9012027 02/27/24 02:31 PM
Plunks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
Been using stealth cams with great results….one lesson learned….don’t put cams on border pen fencing so that cows don’t chew antenna off.

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: BigTxBassMan] #9012041 02/27/24 02:51 PM
D
DukeCigars Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BigTxBassMan
I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Spypoint. I've got four with the built-in solar charger and am really happy with them.

Probably because that’s the only positive comment I’ve ever seen/heard from anyone about Spypoint

Car guy. Serial entrepreneur. Terrible golfer.
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: Plunks] #9012080 02/27/24 04:26 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Plunks
Been using stealth cams with great results….one lesson learned….don’t put cams on border pen fencing so that cows don’t chew antenna off.

Cows will also knock solar panels off if they can get to them.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9014048 03/03/24 02:16 AM
R
Rebel. Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I have used just about every cell camera made by a trail camera company. There a few newer companies that brand themselves as more of a security camera company than a trail camera, but are the same thing. I haven't used the Vosker, Barn Owl, etc. but I have used Browning, Bushnell, Covert, Spartan, Reconyx, Tactacam, Spypoint, Stealth Cam and maybe one or two others. I ran Coverts exclusively for years, then tried Spartan and ran those primarily for a couple years. Reconyx is for sure the best and lasts the longest, but they start at $600 and will eventually start to degrade over time. I have reliably gotten 2 really good years out of them with the 3rd year being decent.

Except for Spypoint and some of the cheaper Bushnells (neither worked well, and a couple of each wouldn't work at all when brand new), they all seem to work pretty well for a season. Some of the Bushnells are decent, but there are better options. I have switched to primarily running Tactacams because the quality is solid for a year and they're cheap. Now I just replace them about every year, or if I'm lucky, some make it for two full seasons. I have 50-60 cell cams and run them on multiple properties. Some of them have different uses; new cameras start out at deer feeders then the next year if they still work, I move them to a less important spot like a pig feeder or near a gate, on a road, etc. to keep eyes on the places.

I would rank them as follows:

Reconyx
Spartan
Covert
Tactacam - takes great night pics, but the daylight photos are just ok. Good thing about the Tactacam account is you can pay for an unlimited plan that allows you to request high res photos and they end up being decent.
Stealth Cam
Higher end Bushnell
Browning - was disappointed because they have some good trail cameras, but the cell cams didn't work well for me. Maybe they have improved since I used them.
Would never buy a Spypoint again.

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: Rebel.] #9014252 03/03/24 04:21 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Rebel.
I have used just about every cell camera made by a trail camera company. There a few newer companies that brand themselves as more of a security camera company than a trail camera, but are the same thing. I haven't used the Vosker, Barn Owl, etc. but I have used Browning, Bushnell, Covert, Spartan, Reconyx, Tactacam, Spypoint, Stealth Cam and maybe one or two others. I ran Coverts exclusively for years, then tried Spartan and ran those primarily for a couple years. Reconyx is for sure the best and lasts the longest, but they start at $600 and will eventually start to degrade over time. I have reliably gotten 2 really good years out of them with the 3rd year being decent.

Except for Spypoint and some of the cheaper Bushnells (neither worked well, and a couple of each wouldn't work at all when brand new), they all seem to work pretty well for a season. Some of the Bushnells are decent, but there are better options. I have switched to primarily running Tactacams because the quality is solid for a year and they're cheap. Now I just replace them about every year, or if I'm lucky, some make it for two full seasons. I have 50-60 cell cams and run them on multiple properties. Some of them have different uses; new cameras start out at deer feeders then the next year if they still work, I move them to a less important spot like a pig feeder or near a gate, on a road, etc. to keep eyes on the places.

I would rank them as follows:

Reconyx
Spartan
Covert
Tactacam - takes great night pics, but the daylight photos are just ok. Good thing about the Tactacam account is you can pay for an unlimited plan that allows you to request high res photos and they end up being decent.
Stealth Cam
Higher end Bushnell
Browning - was disappointed because they have some good trail cameras, but the cell cams didn't work well for me. Maybe they have improved since I used them.
Would never buy a Spypoint again.

Good report, especially since you have used so many. Im surprised nothing of yours ever lasts more than a year. Ive never had anything that bad. Im glad you rank Spartan high.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9016679 03/08/24 01:28 PM
Z
Zmenard Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Z
I have 5 tactacams and they have been really good, but I bought a Reolink Keen Ranger PT this last season. It has been awesome having the live view and PTZ functionality. It cost a little more upfront than a tactacam, but for 1GB of data for $10 is cheaper monthly. It stays pretty much fully charged at all times. A few days of heavy cloud cover it will dip down, but with in a day or two of good sun it is back 100%.

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: grimreapor] #9020290 03/16/24 07:44 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by grimreapor
Originally Posted by USMC89
Wise Eye

I use Covert and it works well but a friend of mine runs 15 wise eyes and they’ll be my next. Great customer service and great pictures.

Wise eye mini or newer one?

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9020291 03/16/24 07:45 PM
B
Brother in-law Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Has anybody tried the Exodus brand?

Re: best cell cameras?? [Re: tlk] #9020452 03/17/24 02:19 AM
D
DFWPI Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I've been using Tactacam for past several years, but this year will be going with Moultrie. I've had the Edge Pro set out for a couple of months and liking it. I have 7 new Moultrie Edge that got on a trade, and will probably use one of those and not sure what I will do with the rest just yet.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide