Print Thread
Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas #8989092 01/16/24 10:59 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Taking a shot in the dark here, but I wanted to see if anyone might have a line on a small lease for 24/25 somewhere within 2 hours of Austin for myself to hunt solo. A buddy of mine got lucky and leased 20 acres five minutes from his house for $500, so I'm hoping to have some similar luck (though I'm more realistic on the price roflmao). I am welcome as a guest at two large leases in Abilene, but I am looking for somewhere closer (as well as different). Likewise, if there is a lease nearby looking for a new member, I'd also be interested. Copying an excellent post I saw here the other day, so here we go. (I will continue to check Leasehunter and other resources as well!)

What I'm looking for:

-Year round access would be great (I love to hunt hogs and coyotes), but not a deal breaker
-Within two hours of Austin, the closer the better
-Rifle hunting only
-Not looking for trophy bucks, just the ability to shoot any legal game on the property (Deer, hogs, coyotes, etc)
-Would like to be able to bring daughters at some point (they are 4 and 6), or perhaps a guest (ideally this would be for me only though, I just don't want to break anyone's rules)

About myself:

-About to turn 42, Married, Born and raised Texan with two little girls
-Got into hunting later in life, so I've only been at it for about 10 years. Most of my experience comes from my brother in law, who instilled an extreme respect for animals and the land we hunt on, be it public or private
-Not new to shooting; I was taught by the Army when I was 17. I take vital shots only
-Again, not looking for trophy bucks, and I happily pass on young, legal bucks to let them age up. Passed on a legal buck on a draw hunt last year that ended up being the only animal I saw for three days.
-Happy to assist with pre-season management activities if needed (and schedule that includes two little girls, allows)
-Realistically, I'd only be hunting twice a month at most, aka as many times as I can without getting divorced
-Should the lease have camping capability, I'm a pretty responsible camper. I don't drink to excess; and I go to bed early. I don't let anything stop me from getting up in the morning to hunt. I always leave camp clean and tidy.
-I like to think I'm very easy to get a long with, and pretty laid back. Overall, hunting is my escape from being a manager at home and at work. I enjoy the peace and quiet, while continuing to learn. In the off season I'm reading everything I can about wildlife in our state, and I love the experience of hunting somewhere new (which is why I apply for close to a hundred draw hunts every year).

Like I said, I do have access to two large leases in Abilene (plus 2 or 3 public hunts) that I will still be visiting because I enjoy hunting with my brothers, but I wanted to see if I could snag a quiet little corner for myself somewhere closer to home. Happy to provide references if needed. And I appreciate in advance any info anyone might have out there. Feel free to reply here or to shoot me a DM.

Re: Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas [Re: Mistereeee] #8994012 01/25/24 02:19 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Some advice:

I’ve been leasing for 30+ years now. I have never found a good lease from posting an ad to contact me. The only leasing I did that I was contacted was poor overhunted land. The demand in Texas for a good lease is too great. You must proactively contact the owner with a great background story like yours and have cash in hand ready to pay. Expect to pay 2500.00 or more. 500.00 is a 70s price, not a 2024 price. Good luck.

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8994032 01/25/24 02:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Some advice:

I’ve been leasing for 30+ years now. I have never found a good lease from posting an ad to contact me. The only leasing I did that I was contacted was poor overhunted land. The demand in Texas for a good lease is too great. You must proactively contact the owner with a great background story like yours and have cash in hand ready to pay. Expect to pay 2500.00 or more. 500.00 is a 70s price, not a 2024 price. Good luck.

Good advice here

You can't fix stupid
Re: Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas [Re: Mistereeee] #8994041 01/25/24 03:10 PM
M
Mistereeee Offline OP
Woodsman
OP Offline
Woodsman
M
Indeed the advice was good, and I have found a place. Thanks!

Re: Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas [Re: Mistereeee] #8994105 01/25/24 04:35 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
That was quick! Congratulations! You did a good job on your original post and that probably helped!

Re: Small solo Lease wanted, Central Texas [Re: Mistereeee] #8994381 01/26/24 01:07 AM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im curious if you found it through here or if you were looking elsewhere.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide