Forums46
Topics538,755
Posts9,740,815
Members87,110
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Gus] #89901 09/20/06 06:28 PM
R
Rene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
I got drawn for the gun deer either sex at James Daughtery WMA for Dec. 13-17. Sounds like during the rut for South Texas to me. Anyone have any information on hunting on this WMA? Its next to the Choke Canyon State Park. Anyone hunted here before? Thanks for any answers.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89902 09/20/06 07:41 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Congratulations on getting drawn for the Daughtrey.

Myself and my wife, and WileyCoyote and his hunting partner, hunted it this past year on one of the Javelina hunts.

Nothing we tell you, or for that matter nothing anybody that hunted for anything in the past will be of much help.

When we were down there, they were starting the process of a change of adminstration of that WMA. Where it had been its own entity with no on site staff full time, it was being moved under the control of the staff from the Chaparral WMA.

The man over both areas is David Synatzski, and the Daughtrey is now going to be operated along the same management plans as the Chap. I feel that this will be good for both the area and the hunters that gain access to the area.

I hope you have Good Luck on your hunt.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Crazyhorse] #89903 09/20/06 07:45 PM
R
Rene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
When you were hunting javelina, did you see any deer? Is it brush? Will I need a tripod? thanks

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89904 09/20/06 09:29 PM
Crazyhorse Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I saw plenty of deer and Lora saw some. Not sure what WC and Ralph saw but I think they did. I don't remember seeing any bucks, not sure about the others. Yes, it is the south Texas type of brush, fairly thick, lots of thorns.

They had us in compartments, which is what it looks like they will be doing on the deer hunts. There are some blinds on the place, but if you have a tri-pod it wouldn't hurt to bring it. There should be some good bucks down there.

Re: State Hunt drawings [Re: stinkbelly] #89905 09/22/06 01:44 AM
O
operationporkchop Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
O
My daughter, she's 12, got drawn for either sex gun deer at Pat Mayes. The dates are Oct. 28-29. Never been there but I here there are plenty of deer. This will be here first rifle hunt.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89906 09/22/06 04:16 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Rene, My partner and I saw tons of deer at James Daughtrey at Choke Canyon Lake on last years Javelina Hunt, mostly does, hunting in Unit 13 -including a really nice 9 pt'er, on the north end and east side of the peninsula where the Mason Point boat ramp is, north of Hwy 72. There is a huge 15' tall 4" angle iron open topped tower stand up in the middle/east side of the 650? acre unit that had had several large senderos cut around it and Mr BigBoy stepped out to munch on some corn after he'd sent his harem out to check things out right at dark. I looked at him thru the crosshairs for maybe 10 minutes at ranges from about 300+ down to 150 yards as he came in.
There is a paved road (the old Hwy 72 right of way)that runs off the boat ramp road thru a locked gate that acts as the south boundary of the Unit that has a pair of smallish box blinds about 2' off the ground that face north into the impenatrble couple hundred acre huisatch patch ..and where my partner stalked a herd of javelina and took his at about 30 feet...and then squatted and made like a bush until they stopped guarding the downed critter.
I most definitely would take a tripod or even two as you will be at a distinct disadvantage if you can't get some height in most of the areas I saw.
The area just off the boat ramp road is covered in game trails and the beach just below it was churned up from hog damage for several hundred yards north and south down along the waters edge.
Our problem was we were covered up with a dozen duck hunter setups who had come in by boat, or illegally driven down the paved road inside in the locked gate, and the only way we could get away from them was the interior of the Unit...that is surrounded on 3 sides by the lake
I'm told that under the new WMA management rules in an hour long phone conversation with David Synatski that this issue has been addressed. If it hasn't and your Hunt dates fall in duck season I'd ask for anywhere but close to the water...if it has as I was told it would be ...then I'd go back to Unit 13, or Unit 11 & 12 too, any time I could get there. Unit 13 is the smallest of the 3 Units on the Peninsula, but I will never hunt the Daughtrey ever again during duck season, except for a Unit back way away from the water. Our problems were pretty tame compared to some others I heard about too.
PM me a fax # and I'll send you a copy of the maps I have.
Ron

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: WileyCoyote] #89907 09/22/06 06:57 PM
R
Rene Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Wiley, Thanks for the information, I really appreciate it. Please fax any maps or information you have to 985-851-7746. I will definitely bring a few tripods with me. If they let us request a unit to hunt on, I will ask for unit 12-13. I have two other friends that were drawn with me, so they will be with me. Do you think it will be rut Dec 13-17 down there? Thanks Rene'

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89908 09/22/06 07:19 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Bradbury would know better about the timing of the rut down there as he hunts south texas regularly.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Rene] #89909 09/23/06 03:35 PM
W
WileyCoyote Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Rene, I faxed you a copy of my Units 11,12 & 13 map and some field notes from my hunt in January on Unit 13 to the ph # you posted. If for some reason you don't get the fax let me know and we'll do it again.
Ron

It is TIME for Term Limits, cause Politicians are like childrens diapers and for the same reasons...Robin Williams

"These are the times that try men's soul's"...Thomas Paine

"Those who fail to learn from History are doomed to repeat it" ....Santayana
Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Gus] #89910 09/24/06 01:17 AM
D
Dave270 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
Quote:

So my brother calls me last night all bummed out because we are the last group that gets to hunt. We are screwed he says! He keeps the negative attitude up and I have to cut him off. I tell him how else would he have an oppurtunity to do this. Whining persists unbearably. I then ask him if he has any idea of how many folks would love to have our shot at it. He continues with the sniveling and I tell him with an attitude like that karma is gonna bite him good and he probably won't have a successful hunt. He then tells me, well I just won't go cause I am telling you we are screwed. I then tell him it won't be the first time he has backed out on a hunt with me. Twice I had to go gator hunting by myself because of his useless excuses and once on a south Texas hog hunt, all public drawings. I just don't get him anymore, he used to be a hardcore fishermen and hunter. I think I am going to start doing the drawings with my son instead, he is 6 and growing fast. Kind of a bummer knowing he has this lousy attitude on an upcoming adventure, hopefully it will change before it is time to go.

3 year's ago we were the last hunt there and thought the same thing but we ended up killing 19 deer and 2 pigs 10 of the deer were axis so tell your brother not to worry their are a lot of animals their. It will be the best draw hunt you can go on. Make sure you eat at the mexican food place in town it is the best. If you want to know more about SLRSP just ask ben there 2 and walter buck 3 times.

Re: I got drawn for Gun Deer Either Sex at Colorado Bend. [Re: Dave270] #89911 09/24/06 04:06 PM
T
TWarren Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Found out last week I didn't get drawn for any. I applied for San Angelo, Abilene, and Matador, assuming I wouldn't get picked for Matador, but thought I had a chance for the other two. I do know there are a bunch of deer at Abilene State park, whoever gets on out there will have good hunts.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide