Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: GasGuzzler] #8977059 12/23/23 01:03 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
It’s gonna take a lot more than a fluted barrel and a textured stock to make it a Tikka killer.

Those are the two main things I don't like about the Ruger. I'd pay the extra $200 to have a wood stock and a normal barrel like on the blued Tikka T3x Hunter ... if I bought new guns and needed a bolt action rifle. I like Rugers, have a few, but even a Mini-14 would have to be wood and blued for me.

You are in the minority these days, but quite a big margin.

Wood and blued that is. Most people do not want that combo anymore.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977072 12/23/23 01:49 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Could be. Every other forum I am on related to guns people like me are the huge majority. Either way, Ruger makes the Hawkeye in blued and wood. Tikka makes the T3x in blued and wood. Bergara makes a B-14 in blued and wood. Savage makes several models in blued and wood. And I wasn't even the first one in the topic to mention the Ruger is ugly ... nor the second.

Pass the gravy.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: GasGuzzler] #8977082 12/23/23 02:24 PM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler
Could be. Every other forum I am on related to guns people like me are the huge majority. Either way, Ruger makes the Hawkeye in blued and wood. Tikka makes the T3x in blued and wood. Bergara makes a B-14 in blued and wood. Savage makes several models in blued and wood. And I wasn't even the first one in the topic to mention the Ruger is ugly ... nor the second.

Nearly everything in the sub-$1k price range these days is ugly

I’d love to have a stainless/synthetic mini 14. Fun ranch fun for sure. I like blued and wood stock too - but more on shotguns than rifles these days

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Jgraider] #8977122 12/23/23 04:03 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by garyrapp55
Originally Posted by Korean Redneck
Wonder if these gen II actions will fit in a gen I stock/chassis.
Great question.

I'd say in order to be a Tikka killer, these Americans need to not have this "zipping" sound as you stroke the bolt.

I think a silky smooth action is a nice thing but almost cosmetic to me. I have a Howa mini that has that zipper sound and I don't care. I (usually the kids) pull the bolt and empty brass shoots out. Push the bolt and a round goes in. Function and accuracy trump all else, for me. Average Joe is less concerned about the sound and more concerned about the price, it seems Ruger has accommodated Joe. Doubt I'll buy one but I'm rooting for Ruger. I like things made in my home country.

If that were true the Ruger American would have kicked Tikka's asss the first time, and it failed miserably. Bergara tried too.....same fate, as did Savage. Tikka's are more popular than ever for good reason.

Jgraider, what are you using as a unit of measure for the butt kicking? Folks vote with their wallet and while I'm not looking for the data, my guess is, Ruger sold more American's than Tikka sold CTR and T3. Keep in mind, I'm talking about Average Joe, not guys like us. Average Joe doesn't even think of rifles 9 months of the year.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: garyrapp55] #8977166 12/23/23 05:34 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I will take wood and blued steel all day every day. Even the most plain and cheep beech stock, with a blotchy stain, I would prefer to anything synthetic. And would be a huge upgrade to any of the tupperware stocks they are putting on the base model rifles these days.

Form vs function, the wood has the advantage in both compared to those thin, hollow plastic versions. If the Ruger American was available from the factory with a plain wood stock I would definitely have one. Sorry I am average joe and don’t feel like investing as much I would in a higher quality weapon that comes in wood, to put Boyd’s or something on a Ruger American.

Sorry the American will never be a Tikka killer. People buy it because it is a decent rifle made in USA, not because how it compares to Tikka. People buy Tikka because it is the best thing going dollar for dollar.

People buy Mossberg Patriot rifles too, because priced right and made in USA. Not based on how it compares to Tikka.

Nothing in current production compares to a Tikka (edit- in the price range) But I don’t own one of those either. Sold my American long long time ago. Perfectly happy with my old inherited Remmy 700 ‘06 and my little 30-30 that has tripled in value in the past 5 years! Afraid to pull that thing out of the safe.

If I found one on clearance priced very, very competitively i might buy an American in .308. If i went shopping for a new rifle its gonna be wood and blued unless it is an Ar15. But i might not be the average, average joe.

I might also save up for something very nice. All these rifles in the sub $600 price range are aimed at people buying a first deer rifle. Tikka is the first upgrade

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/23/23 06:08 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977223 12/23/23 08:23 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Actually most of the newer polymer stocks are not like the ones made in the 90s. They are usually engineered with additional support and/or materials to minimize flexing. Some have aluminum bedding and cross support molded in the for-end.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977272 12/23/23 10:16 PM
G
grout-scout Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
I was really liking the look of the grey splatter gun pictured, then I got to the butt stock. I understand the versatility of it, but it’s definitely not made to look beautiful. Great thing about this country, if you don’t like something, you don’t have to buy it! If they made one with a straight buttstock, I just might buy one.

It’s not like any of us really need more guns…

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: grout-scout] #8977275 12/23/23 10:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by grout-scout
It’s not like any of us really need more guns…

loco

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977279 12/23/23 10:28 PM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G
Street price for the Ruger is looking to be around $550. To get a comparable Tikka it would cost $1,200+. It’s just hard to justify a rifle that cost 2-3x.

Tikka’s are great rifles, I’ve owned two. But the competition is getting stronger with great options from Ruger and Bergara that are half the price. It will be interesting to see if Tikka tries to innovate or not.

It sure is a great time to buy a rifle! So many outstanding options these days.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977365 12/24/23 03:04 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by Gone to Texas
Street price for the Ruger is looking to be around $550. To get a comparable Tikka it would cost $1,200+. It’s just hard to justify a rifle that cost 2-3x.

Tikka’s are great rifles, I’ve owned two. But the competition is getting stronger with great options from Ruger and Bergara that are half the price. It will be interesting to see if Tikka tries to innovate or not.

Curious what features push the Tikka equivalent to $1200?

I just picked up a stainless T3x lite for $500 like new in box.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: patriot07] #8977389 12/24/23 03:53 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by patriot07

If you picked up a comparable Tikka that had a spiral fluted barrel that was threaded and had a muzzle brake, a pic rail, an ai mag setup, that had a ceracoat finish, it would cost upwards of $1100-$1200 easily. A plain CTR is north of $900 now.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: jlsbassman] #8977399 12/24/23 04:28 AM
P
patriot07 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Originally Posted by jlsbassman

If you picked up a comparable Tikka that had a spiral fluted barrel that was threaded and had a muzzle brake, a pic rail, an ai mag setup, that had a ceracoat finish, it would cost upwards of $1100-$1200 easily. A plain CTR is north of $900 now.

That’s fair

For $1200, you could just about have a factory Tikka action and a Bartlein which would be like comparing a Camaro (Ruger) to a Bugatti (Tikka/Bartlein) that goes 300+ mph.

The $500 Tikka is the Corvette z06 of the gun market as it is.

But I like the Camaro. Good value. But it’s not sending the Corvette anywhere

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: patriot07] #8977402 12/24/23 04:41 AM
J
jlsbassman Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
J
Originally Posted by jlsbassman

That’s fair

For $1200, you could just about have a factory Tikka action and a Bartlein which would be like comparing a Camaro (Ruger) to a Bugatti (Tikka/Bartlein) that goes 300+ mph.

The $500 Tikka is the Corvette z06 of the gun market as it is.

But I like the Camaro. Good value. But it’s not sending the Corvette anywhere

I don’t disagree with your stance on the Tikka though. I would much rather have the tikka than the Ruger. But the tikka is considerably higher priced for the options you get. Although I do have a Ruger Predator that’s a nice setup but is not nearly the action the Tikka is.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977427 12/24/23 06:27 AM
R
Ridn9high Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
You can pick up a Tikka Roughtech Lite on sale right now in a 308 or 6.5 for $879. With the added $75 rebate from Tikka, that puts the gun at $804 before tax. One of the better sales I’ve seen on a Tikka.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: 10 Gauge] #8977440 12/24/23 09:40 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I will take wood and blued steel all day every day. Even the most plain and cheep beech stock, with a blotchy stain, I would prefer to anything synthetic. And would be a huge upgrade to any of the tupperware stocks they are putting on the base model rifles these days.

Form vs function, the wood has the advantage in both compared to those thin, hollow plastic versions. If the Ruger American was available from the factory with a plain wood stock I would definitely have one. Sorry I am average joe and don’t feel like investing as much I would in a higher quality weapon that comes in wood, to put Boyd’s or something on a Ruger American.

Sorry the American will never be a Tikka killer. People buy it because it is a decent rifle made in USA, not because how it compares to Tikka. People buy Tikka because it is the best thing going dollar for dollar.

People buy Mossberg Patriot rifles too, because priced right and made in USA. Not based on how it compares to Tikka.

Nothing in current production compares to a Tikka (edit- in the price range) But I don’t own one of those either. Sold my American long long time ago. Perfectly happy with my old inherited Remmy 700 ‘06 and my little 30-30 that has tripled in value in the past 5 years! Afraid to pull that thing out of the safe.

If I found one on clearance priced very, very competitively i might buy an American in .308. If i went shopping for a new rifle its gonna be wood and blued unless it is an Ar15. But i might not be the average, average joe.

I might also save up for something very nice. All these rifles in the sub $600 price range are aimed at people buying a first deer rifle. Tikka is the first upgrade

Yes.

Pass the gravy.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: scottfromdallas] #8977468 12/24/23 01:09 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
Actually most of the newer polymer stocks are not like the ones made in the 90s. They are usually engineered with additional support and/or materials to minimize flexing. Some have aluminum bedding and cross support molded in the for-end.

Having owned a base American and having looked at many other brands base models, imo this isn’t accurate. The fore-end was about as stiff as a stick of butter, and is on much of the entry level competition. Some do have bedding systems, but that’s not helping the front half. A bipod would be a waste of time.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977474 12/24/23 01:26 PM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I've handled OEM production synthetic stocked rifles and there is nothing appealing about them to me. If that makes me backwards, that's okay. Now the really weirdo looking spaceman high end composite stocks? No, I have no experience so those might be super awesome.

Pass the gravy.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977533 12/24/23 03:27 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A spot review of the Gen II...

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977548 12/24/23 03:43 PM
65x55 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
Ruger always ends up offering a wide variety of options so I'm sure there'll be non fluted barrels and wood stocks eventually. I think a better comparison would be with Weatherby Vanguards/Howa 1500s, how will they stack up? The Weatherguard Bronze is hard to beat at its price point for features and quality. Slav Guns was saying they seem to be moving from competing with Savage Axis to Savage 110s which seems a more apt comparison too. It would be nice if Tikka started threading most or all of their barrels, sort of surprising they haven't since suppressors are standard equipment in most of Europe.

I'm actually a Ruger shareholder, so do please buy these and all other Ruger products!

Last edited by 65x55; 12/24/23 03:45 PM.
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977565 12/24/23 04:03 PM
H
HaywireHaywood Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
For a while, I was looking for a lefty CTR in 6.5CM. They list them on the Tikka site, but seems like they are as rare as hen's teeth. I even emailed the US importer (beretta?) and got no response at all. If this one turns out to be of decent quality, and they offer a lefty config, it may get my attention.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8977599 12/24/23 05:09 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
A standard rail that isn't forged/milled on top of the receiver make these more attractive as well IMO.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8978343 12/26/23 06:06 AM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I gave it a second look. I still wouldn’t call it a Tikka killer, it’s just a different market. But for sure a Savage and a Mossberg killer all day long. The Gen II American Ranch in 300 Blackout is pretty darn attractive. You can buy a cassette with weights in it for the stock, add like 1.6 pounds with a genuine ruger factory accesory. Instead of just pouring rockite in there or something else that is pretty much permanent. LOP is adjustable down to 12”. 16”-ish barrel. Nearly perfect for my needs.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: HaywireHaywood] #8978357 12/26/23 01:15 PM
W
wp75169 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
W
Originally Posted by HaywireHaywood
For a while, I was looking for a lefty CTR in 6.5CM. They list them on the Tikka site, but seems like they are as rare as hen's teeth. I even emailed the US importer (beretta?) and got no response at all. If this one turns out to be of decent quality, and they offer a lefty config, it may get my attention.

Berreta and their refusal to import certain Tikkas is why i finally found a gunsmith to build what I wanted. Shooting left handed has drawbacks to be sure.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8978744 12/27/23 02:36 PM
A
AP2714 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
A
Anyone handled one of these? Definitely conflicting reports from those who have picked one up regarding action feel.

Re: The Tikka Killer [Re: Gone to Texas] #8978763 12/27/23 03:12 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
That is because the manufacturing of the bolt is fairly inconsistent for a CNC rifle, and the best example still sounds like a zipper from the factory.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/27/23 03:13 PM.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide