Forums46
Topics538,717
Posts9,740,418
Members87,103
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978796 12/27/23 03:59 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by EagleEye55
I couldn't agree more the deer belongs to the state. It can be shot by anyone with a hunting license. I was told verbally he would never hunt "our" deer. I'm not looking for a hug. I'm just curious what the general opinion was. Thank you!

When it comes to a deer lease again I have seen it over and over. A verbal agreement even with a friend is useless IMO on a deer lease - get everything in writing.
Sorry this happened to you

You can't fix stupid
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978803 12/27/23 04:20 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe
"Land owner decides to put up a feeder and camera on the land being leased outside of the fence."

I think that is a pretty clear indication your landowner had every intention of hunting his land, so I am not sure why you are surprised he shot a deer under his feeder. Most "Target" bucks are on more than one hunters target list if they know it is walking around in their midst. Nothing unusual about that. One of the places I hunt is a work and hog control for hunting lease. Not only can the landowner's family and guest hunt his land too, we provide the stand and feeder for them. We come out way ahead considering the work we do is not anything more than we would be doing if we had to pay for our lease. We see it as hunting for free. If the value of your work is more than what you would pay for a lease or spot on a lease, or if the way it played out really bother's you, perhaps it is time to find a different lease. Preferably with a contract, set rules, and management plan. Yet if the work/lease balance is in your favor, shoot a different buck this year, suck it up and congratulate your landowner, and now knowing the cards on the table for next year, hunt harder next season to beat your landowner lease partner to the next target buck.

I will say this, never ever ever share a picture of a living target buck to your landowner, lease partners, neighboring lessees, or neighboring landowner. Don't even tell them you have seen it if they show you a picture. That is a sure way to make your target buck someone else's target buck. Unless you don't mind if the person you shared with may shoot it before you do.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978819 12/27/23 04:47 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Trading work to hunt with the fellow that owns the land sounds like a sweetheart deal.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978845 12/27/23 05:52 PM
N
notamtchance Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
Online Happy
Veteran Tracker
N
My lease is shared with the LO and we both hunt the same deer. Some years he gets the big one and others I do. The sad part is I share most years the neighbors shot the deer we target all year, but deer move around a lot and I most of the time shoot one that I didn't even see on camera all year. That is hunting. Ibwould just enjoy the time you have in the field and be grateful that you have a private place to hunt. It is getting harder and harder to find one., and most of the ones you can find cost a pretty penny. Good luck and be thankful for what you do have.

If I'm not hunting something I must be dead.
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978857 12/27/23 06:09 PM
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
You get to trade work for hunting and your even questioning this situation? That’s pretty stupid to me but to each their own,

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8978860 12/27/23 06:21 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Trading work to hunt with the fellow that owns the land sounds like a sweetheart deal.

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
You get to trade work for hunting and your even questioning this situation? That’s pretty stupid to me but to each their own,

banana

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978867 12/27/23 06:35 PM
B
bronco71 Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
B
With nothing on paper my only problem would be if it was safe to shoot into that area from the HF side.....

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8978872 12/27/23 06:57 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

That's what I was thinking. I would ask folks on here what they pay for their deer leases and reevaluate my perceptions.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978876 12/27/23 07:08 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Wait until you drag a 2 person 18’ deer stand weights in excess of 100 pounds over a mile through the river bottoms to set up a rut stand deep in the public, and then find evidence somebody else is using it. That’s public lol.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/27/23 07:09 PM.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978880 12/27/23 07:13 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Work is not free guys. I put in more than what the lease is worth. I dont work for free and i dont think yall would either. So if i would of paid cash I wouldnt be a dumb [censored]? I'm not understanding the reasoning behind that. I am grateful for the opportunity to be on any property because yes its getting crazy. There has to be respect. If you figure up how much work was done and the size of property i paid over 50 dollars an acres for the last 4 years.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978884 12/27/23 07:22 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Eagleeye, I think all is fine with you. Seems you have reason to be bothered but all you’re doing is asking what we think to validate your feelings. Carry on.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978889 12/27/23 07:34 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Just trying to learn from it and move on. Sorry I have no one else to have conversation about it with.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978891 12/27/23 07:37 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I was told verbally he would never hunt "our" deer.

I put in more than what the lease is worth. If you figure up how much work was done and the size of property i paid over 50 dollars an acres for the last 4 years.

These are important details. Based on this I would stop helping him and move on to another lease. If you put that much time and effort into it, then the relationship is over. Put your time and effort into earning the money to pay for a better lease.

I would still wait until the end of deer season to say anything. Just try to remain on good terns until seasons end, and come in on the last day to get all your chit off the property and vamoose. He will figure it out eventually.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/27/23 07:39 PM.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: 10 Gauge] #8978894 12/27/23 07:39 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
Bryan that is the plan.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978899 12/27/23 07:51 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I totally understand your frustration but before you ditch your place to hunt you might do some research on how hard a lease is to find and what it’s going to cost. It sounds to me like you have a truly sweetheart deal going and you may come to realize that too late by letting emotions get the better of you. Would you have been as upset if a neighbor killed the deer? Deer come and go but a place to hunt is insanely hard to find these days regardless of the cost,

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978900 12/27/23 07:55 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
A
Work is not free guys. I put in more than what the lease is worth. I dont work for free and i dont think yall would either. So if i would of paid cash I wouldnt be a dumb [censored]? I'm not understanding the reasoning behind that. I am grateful for the opportunity to be on any property because yes its getting crazy. There has to be respect. If you figure up how much work was done and the size of property i paid over 50 dollars an acres for the last 4 years.

When I was growing up exchanging work for access was a common arrangement. Regardless of how some may conduct themselves, a verbal contract is a legally binding instrument. Pursuing monetary reimbursement for your work will most likely bring an end to your hunting arrangement and your friendship with the landowner. 100% your call how you address it since you alone will have to shoulder the outcome.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/27/23 07:57 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8978906 12/27/23 08:16 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
I have done the research. It is crazy. I appreciate this place more than any of yall probably realize. I am not mad the deer was shot. It happens. The way it was done is hard to chew on. You all have a good ole day. Happy hunting.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978910 12/27/23 08:29 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I have done the research. It is crazy. I appreciate this place more than any of yall probably realize. I am not mad the deer was shot. It happens. The way it was done is hard to chew on. You all have a good ole day. Happy hunting.

That’s completely understandable, I’d still let some time pass before you pull the plug on it if I were you. You seem like a pretty level headed guy so you’ll make the best decision that’s right for you. If you think the guys approachable with a conversation about it after the season ends and you’ve made your mind up to leave without a resolution to the situation I’d ask him about it before you pack up your gear, definitely couldn’t hurt at that point but I’d probably keep quite if you’ve chosen to stay.

Deer big or small make some people act silly and I’d say this guy obviously falls into that category so it’s a coin flip at best with his mentality once you bring it up. Where I’m stuck is the fact he has a high fenced portion of his ranch and he’s shooting deer outside the fence, seems odd unless he’s shot out the fenced deer. I like big deer as much as the next guy but apparently I’m not as mad at them as he is lol

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Ol Thumper] #8978912 12/27/23 08:36 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
I agree why shoot a deer when you have some inside. It comes down to greed. He has sold all of his studs.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978918 12/27/23 08:50 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I’d be weary he might just close the gate and keep your stuff if you try to discuss the matter. He obviously doesn’t care about your agreement, he put a feeder up and hunted it after he gave you his word to leave that spot alone. In his mind you may be the lucky recipient of his generosity. He might just close his gate and not allow you to enter his property if you try to have a uncomfortable discussion with him about your terms.

I have seen plenty of stories like that on this forum, about land owners closing their gates and not allowing guys to get their stuff back.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: 10 Gauge] #8978921 12/27/23 08:56 PM
E
EagleEye55 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
E
I agree I have to tread lightly here.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: EagleEye55] #8978935 12/27/23 09:34 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Yes Sir i will try. I dont shoot anything that moves. I'm pretty selective, probably the reason this buck was able to get to his size. I let him go the past 2 yrs.

If that is what you take from my post then you are way past the average level of clueless. What if that buck got drug down by coyotes or got killed by another buck or broke a leg crossing a fence or got hit by a car? Surely there are other bucks running around to hunt if that one got dead. Right? Go after one of them and hunt for the sake of the hunt.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Smokey Bear] #8978939 12/27/23 09:56 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear

You’d think so. I I made this agreement with my land once and it ended a friendship. One days work=one day’s hunt, keys to the gate and house. Fully furnished house, running water, electricity, more than what is needed. I still got burned.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8978943 12/27/23 10:10 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Yes Sir i will try. I dont shoot anything that moves. I'm pretty selective, probably the reason this buck was able to get to his size. I let him go the past 2 yrs.

If that is what you take from my post then you are way past the average level of clueless. What if that buck got drug down by coyotes or got killed by another buck or broke a leg crossing a fence or got hit by a car? Surely there are other bucks running around to hunt if that one got dead. Right? Go after one of them and hunt for the sake of the hunt.

I would say the first time he put up a feeder and hunted it, whether he killed anything or not it doesn’t matter. This isn’t a case of landowner lets the kid down the road hunt for mending fences and brush hogging. It’s different from that. The details matter here.

If you want to hunt purely for the sake of the hunt there are plenty of opportunities on corps land for that. If you really feel that way then even why even bother to pursue whitetails at all?

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 12/27/23 10:11 PM.

Re: Land owner shooting your target buck. [Re: Sniper John] #8978962 12/27/23 10:52 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Sniper John
"Land owner decides to put up a feeder and camera on the land being leased outside of the fence."

I will say this, never ever ever share a picture of a living target buck to your landowner, lease partners, neighboring lessees, or neighboring landowner. Don't even tell them you have seen it if they show you a picture. That is a sure way to make your target buck someone else's target buck. Unless you don't mind if the person you shared with may shoot it before you do.

I know everyone does it differently but on our lease we are first come first serve with community blinds throughout the season (other than the first weekend when we draw for picking stands - it only lets members pick which stand they want that weekend but does not guarantee any particular deer).

We have ten members on 9000 acres and share all trail camera pics with every hunter that we get during the off season. We take down all cameras during the season.

We all also share live videos and pics we take during the season from our stands with all of our other hunters. So in our case nobody "owns" or "has rights" to any one deer.

Maybe not the set up for everybody but at the end of the day our members get just as excited about another member killing their best deer as if they shot the deer. We all know that if we are patient our day will come.

You can't fix stupid
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide