Print Thread
Wild boar charge #8950166 11/06/23 02:15 AM
D
diablodog Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
My 270 th shot wild hog gave me the 2 nd charge I have had in about 30 years . The first was a long time ago when my hunting Westie grabbed a piglet by the ear and the mamma charged . I hit a 200 lb boar [ with 3 inch cutters ] at 80 yards with the thermal with a head shot . He went down hard in thick , tall grass and I could only see a glow were he was . I set down the rifle and walked to find him . Had a flashlight in 1 hand and a 10 mm Glock in the other . When I was about 10 yards from him he came back to life and charged the light . I got off about 6-8 rounds of hot and heavy 10mm in what seemed like 1 second and he came to a stop right in front of me . What had happened was the 30 cal rifle bullet hit his head right above the eye but did not penetrate , it just went around the skull and came out behind his ear . It had just knocked him out and when he came to he seemed to be pissed for some reason . I came out ok except for a sore wrist shooting that quick one handed . Thrilling to say the least .

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8950194 11/06/23 03:24 AM
T
Tkshunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
I would’ve need a new pair of underwear 🤷🏾‍♂️

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8950254 11/06/23 09:33 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
300 Blackout?

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8950302 11/06/23 12:46 PM
D
diablodog Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
30 AR

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8950367 11/06/23 02:23 PM
Double Naught Spy Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Wounded animals are the most dangerous. Always treat them as wounded until you can verify they are actually dead. Never approach from the head end. Don't leave your rifle back in the stand as it is your most powerful weapon and makes standoff finishing shots much easier and safer.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8950371 11/06/23 02:33 PM
D
diablodog Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
It was behind tall grass cover in a low spot and I did not know head from tail and it was out of thermal sight . The rifle with a thermal one handed would have been about useless in that situation . I was not hunting from a stand . When I got close I set the rifle down and switched to bright flash light and handgun , much easier and quicker to get in to play .

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8952051 11/09/23 02:38 AM
S
Skeezix Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
Glad you ok - that must have been quite the rush.

The end won’t be for everyone…
WWG1WGA
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8952064 11/09/23 03:18 AM
B
Big Sam Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
B
Glad it worked out for you. Big pucker factor and a great story to tell your grandchildren!

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8952136 11/09/23 01:09 PM
D
diablodog Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
D
Thanks guys . It was the high point of the deer hunt .

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8958136 11/19/23 09:04 PM
Wilson Combat Offline
Boar Meister
Boar Meister
Ive been hunting hogs since the mid 80s and have shot over 4,000. During all that hunting I've only had 3 legit charges. Two were "dead" hogs that came to life that I killed less than 5 feet away and the other one charged me and my client hunter in broad daylight. We saw what we thought was a dead hog, we got out of the mule and started walking up to it when he came very alive and charged us when he had plenty of other directions he could have went. We ended up killing him, but it was kinda a "goat rope".

I've had two other charges, but in both cases I think that I just happed to be in the direction he wanted to run. Both were unwounded hogs.

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8958165 11/19/23 09:41 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
Only ones I’ve had come at me were running for their life trying to escape.

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: SapperTitan] #8958214 11/19/23 11:10 PM
D
der Teufel Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
D
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
Only ones I’ve had come at me were running for their life trying to escape.

That's been my experience, with maybe one exception.
I wounded a large sow which tried to make a getaway, but she couldn't travel very fast. She'd move 10-20 yards and then lay down. As I got to within maybe ten yards she'd get up and go another 10-20 yards before going down again. This happened several times. I was in a large field in which sorghum had been harvested, so I figured I'd just go get my truck and save some walking. I was going to have to go back to the truck eventually. I drove up and, with the aid of my thermal monocular, found her lying in some tall grass. I got out and walked up to her, whereupon she got up and started coming my direction. I guess she just go tired of trying to get away and decided to fight it out. She was really just slowly sauntering in my direction, she still couldn't move very fast. I got my .22 pistol out and emptied it into her. She finally went down for good, but I confess to having been just a wee bit nervous at the time.

I went back to the truck to reload my pistol, but then decided "What the heck". I had a 9mm in the truck. I grabbed it and put a bullet through her head 'just to be sure'!

I have two unwritten rules:
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8958221 11/19/23 11:25 PM
R
RiverRider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I have yet to experience a hog charge, but I recall one evening on my old lease when I was all alone with about 20 minutes of daylight remaining. I had wounded a VERY large boar and started to enter the mesquite thicket to go after him. After about five steps, better judgement kicked in and I retreated. Never saw that hog again, but I feel certain it died.

Where I hunt now, my nephew chased a lone sow down in his Polaris because the pig was crossing a large empty area. All he had on him at the time was a 9mm pistol, so he ran the hog down like a Comanche after a buffalo and hit it a few times. When the sow tumbled he slowed and circled back around to give the pig a finishing shot, but when he got near the sow got up and decided she was going to join him in the front seat. I was not there for that one, but it sounds like some kinda rodeo.

I'm sure I'll eventually have a hog come after me. They seem to be more ornery around San Saba than they are around Throckmorton...maybe. I just hope it happens during daylight.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8958234 11/20/23 12:04 AM
D
Douglas Tipton Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Three related notes....1.) Chasing a lone sow at night living on an isolated property. Cornered her somewhere on a hillside with brush and she gave out that low, guttural growl that only Hollywood could create. Couldnt see her, but she was there. Noped out of there. 2.) Shot a shoat mid abdomen, basically paralyzing the lower half. Walked up to it and he gave it his best to come after me. 3.) Bowhunting public land and got a sow (nursing very new piglets ) separated from her litter on accident - there were in very tall grass. I messed around for a while chasing the piglets and never saw the sow after she ran off, but figured she was around. I came to my senses and left without ever seeing her again.

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8959148 11/21/23 10:23 AM
J
Jiggamitch Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
J
Set my rifle down to take my game camera off a tree. As i was removing it, a large boar stood up just a few yards in front of me. I guess he was napping and I never saw him till he moved. He started popping his mouth at me and I tried to take a step back to grab my rifle. I guess he didn't like that, cause he charged. I honestly thought I was going to die. I ran up a tree like in a cartoon. Scariest thing ever.

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8965633 12/01/23 11:30 PM
N
nyalubwe Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Only had two "charges".. One was a wounded one just trying to get away, the other one was serious, unwounded and apparently hadn't had his coffee that morning. My partner standing beside me convinced him to stop at 8 feet with a .308

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8974271 12/17/23 04:26 PM
1860.colt Offline
emoji colt.45
emoji colt.45
Cool story.
Twice had hogs, so called, charge.

First was hog hunting with myer slinger pistol.
Was in thick regrowth, topped a little hill.
Had a small clearing. Was on my cellpone. Flip open
Just got it & was on phone with daughter.
A sow stepped out, snorted, & what i call bluff charged.
Put had on pistol, told daughter, a hogs charging & was going ta video it.
She kept saying, gotta turn phone off ta
Hog came @ me then stopped.
Then about 3ta4 piglets stepped out with another sow.
The first one charged (bluff) again with-in couple feet.
Then all scattered.

2nd time. Was put squirrel/hog hunt. 410 single shot.
Had slug in barrel & No. 8's in pocket for squirrels.
Came across 3 sows. Both times @ OSBWMA.
Had the hunter orange. Tall grass, eased closer using trees
Got behind a big tree that was blown down. Roughly big enough
ta hid orange, rested 410. Two hogs started moving away slowly.
Third turned broad side. Took shot. First two skedaddled.
One shot @ turned on dime & headed my way. Straight @ me.
Kept thinking it gonna see me.

bang forgot tree hiding my orange & tall grass hiding legs.
Had ta side step. Or it would have run me over.
Tis thinking hog got disoriented. & just running from sound
of shot.it ran past. Stopped roughly 20yrds past me.
Looked around, thinking for others then moosed off.
Retraced it & no bood found.

Wounded & ones with piglets most dangerous.
Have gone inta some thick stuff, daylight & in dark
after wounded hogs. If they have a safe route ta escape
90% of time they take that.

Both were exciting hunts. & many others.
Stay safe & as often been told.
Or the hog gonna get ya

In the public hunting section dont see the OSBWMA mentioned.
It's the best place i found for a do-t-yourself hog hunt.
Thick switch cain, palmetto plants, tall grass, & downed trees.
Get off the old 4 wheel trails.

Stay safe.

flag

i'm postaddic
Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8976252 12/21/23 05:14 PM
B
brushbuck Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
B
I was in Mason county hunting by myself and in the middle of nowhere on our hunting lease. Put a bolt into a 253# black boar at twenty yards. The hog flinched from the sound of the Excalibur crossbow and the bolt entered behind the boars right shoulder and angled to to his left rear leg where it did not exit. The big boar was knocked back about six feet and ran off screaming with my bolt sticking out of him. I gave him 45 minutes to die and loaded up another bolt and went looking for him. Didn't have much of a blood trail so i was visually searching for him at 10am walking through knee high grass around live oak thickets. Every shadow cast on the ground from the live oaks looked like a black hog until i finally found one shadow that had hair. At fifteen yards I quietly reached down and grabbed a hand sized rock and tossed it to the big boar and that's when his eyes opened too see me. The boar jumped to his feet and was doing his best to charge at me but thankfully the arrow was causing him problems enough that I flanked him to the left and fired my second bolt into his side for double lung a clean pass through. I turned and got the hell out of there to let him die. Later I returned after attaching the receiver winch to the truck and loaded the big boar up and headed to the processor/taxidermist. I was so proud of that beast that I made all the arrangements with the taxidermist to have an awesome shoulder mount done. Got home and was telling my wife this story and then I told her about the mount. Wife says your not bringing an ugly hog mount into this house. I argued that I have deer mounted in which she said deer are pretty and hogs are not and you're not bringing a hog head into this house. Next day I called the taxidermist up and cancelled my mount and the taxidermist said, you got home and talked to the wife did ya, we hear that all the time. LOL

Re: Wild boar charge [Re: diablodog] #8976261 12/21/23 05:47 PM
M
mikei Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Over the 40 + years I've been hunting the bristly beasties, I have never had one charge me. I've had them run in my direction when they were trying to get out of the killing field, but I was just in their way to safety. A couple of times they came close enough to warrant a change of skivvies after the hunt.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide