Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: b weezy] #8967201 12/04/23 01:15 PM
G
garyrapp55 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
G
There's 100 valid answers to your question. As long as the steel is good quality, the rest is personal preference. I personally would not spend a lot on a knife for either of my kids yet. My boy is likely to lose it. I lost the first knife my dad gave me.

Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Smokey Bear] #8967212 12/04/23 01:32 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
Eye Brand folder.
[Linked Image]

Sharpens easy. Holds an edge. One drop point. One clip point. Top shelf steel from Solingen Germany. Small enough for your girl to wield. What I gave my son in a pearl handle when he was a little younger than your daughter. Can’t go wrong with this one. Include a good whet rock with the knife.

Well done weezy!

Those and hen and rooster have always been classics, sharpen well and hold a decent edge. Id recommend a lock blade for a kid

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: b weezy] #8967552 12/04/23 08:38 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
I used this one field dressing my deer this year. Very good blade and field dressing was quick and easy.

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum...ed-myself-today-osborne-auto#Post8955489

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: b weezy] #8967826 12/05/23 03:17 AM
Geedubya Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
I never, never, ever, never, ever use a walk'n talk or folder that does not lock when skinning. Good way to score an un-planned trip to the Emergency Room.

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw Blood
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Geedubya] #8967887 12/05/23 12:00 PM
kry226 Offline
The General
The General
Originally Posted by Geedubya
I never, never, ever, never, ever use a walk'n talk or folder that does not lock when skinning. Good way to score an un-planned trip to the Emergency Room.

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

x2 I'm sticking with my old reliable fixed blade. It must be 20 years old and still going strong.

[Linked Image]
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Geedubya] #8967895 12/05/23 12:31 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

Oh jeez GW. I know you have good taste in knives but it is not a problem. Well over two hundred deer later it’s still not a problem. Wasn’t a problem for a 9 year old to skin and quarter 7 deer with either. Some problems are real. Some are imagined.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Smokey Bear] #8967901 12/05/23 12:42 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

Oh jeez GW. I know you have good taste in knives but it is not a problem. Well over two hundred deer later it’s still not a problem. Wasn’t a problem for a 9 year old to skin and quarter 7 deer with either. Some problems are real. Some are imagined.

Just takes that first time, like anything else...

Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: DQ Kid] #8968026 12/05/23 04:10 PM
Geedubya Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
[quote=Geedubya]I never, never, ever, never, ever use a walk'n talk or folder that does not lock when skinning. Good way to score an un-planned trip to the Emergency Room.

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

[/quote

Been there, done that, have the scars........

ya!

GWB

Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Geedubya] #8968044 12/05/23 04:33 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
[quote=Geedubya]I never, never, ever, never, ever use a walk'n talk or folder that does not lock when skinning. Good way to score an un-planned trip to the Emergency Room.

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

[/quote

ya!

GWB

Whatever knife you start a kid with, they are gonna cut themselves. Just part of it. Show me someone that has not cut themselves and I will show you someone that has not used a knife much. As for a folder vs a lock or fixed blade, as long as you don’t cut with the back side of the blade, which you don’t do, or or use it for a screwdriver, it is just not an issue.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 12/05/23 04:34 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: b weezy] #8968050 12/05/23 04:43 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I'd much rather cut through an old buck's brisket with a sharp locking blade than non locking blade, just makes logical sense. Brisket bone is a tough cut on some deer. Get a razor sharp Puma locking blade and you'll never need another deer cleaning blade again.

Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Smokey Bear] #8968121 12/05/23 06:38 PM
Geedubya Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog

Whatever knife you start a kid with, they are gonna cut themselves. Just part of it. Show me someone that has not cut themselves and I will show you someone that has not used a knife much. As for a folder vs a lock or fixed blade, as long as you don’t cut with the back side of the blade, which you don’t do, or or use it for a screwdriver, it is just not an issue.

10/4

It was not my intention to step/derail this thread or to start an argument, rather to express an opinion.

I am a fixed blade guy.

Having said that I own and have owned numerous folders and typically use them several times a day. I carry a several different lock-blade folders depending on the daily activity (only point down), and these days, usually inexpensive ones after losing too many good knives.

Guns and knives scare me as I've too much experience with the damage they can wreck. Consequently I strive to practice what I envision as "safety first" and try to eliminate as many variables that can have deleterious consequences.

YMMV

Best,

GWB

PS: I do skin up and down. I don't care to have to flip the blade over,

[Linked Image]

This copy of a KOA "Muskrat" Knife (AKA Beaver knife) by Tim Olt works great for that.

Last edited by Geedubya; 12/05/23 07:09 PM.

Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: b weezy] #8968405 12/06/23 12:15 AM
V
VAFish Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
V
I'm a huge fan of the Cold Steel Finn Bear, my son likes the Cold Steel Canadian Belt Knife.

When they are on sale on Amazon they are usually less than $15. I keep a couple in my pack.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Q99RXG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WADUIW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They also have the Roach Belly, It works well too. I like it for skinning.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013DIRHQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"If your plan is for one year, plant rice.
If your plan is for ten years, plant trees.
If your plan is for one hundred years, educate children."
-- Confucius
Re: Knife recommendation(and deer pic) [Re: Geedubya] #8968678 12/06/23 02:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Fixed blades for me!

ya!

GWB

[/quote

ya!

GWB

ditto and gulity, why I said locked also
roflmao

but I also agree with smokey, its coming one way or the other by likelihood

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide