H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I'm sure this won't be popular, but these select leagues, travel ball, showcases, Perfect Game, etc are really good at separating parents from their hard earned money. The vast majority of these kids won't play beyond high school, or if they do it will be at a very low level. Most of them are wasting their time. My buddy who I played minor league ball with, and scouted for the Giants for 30 years will tell you the same thing.

I'm betting your son will come back around like Grizz's example. My son did the same thing and he loves it now more than ever. Good luck.

Truth.

It's not the kids wasting their time, it's the parents wasting their kids time while transferring what should be their own parental responsibilities. They seem to think they can hand their kid over to some club level coach (think about that) and he will get them a D-1 schollie and maybe into the pros. We had a wonderful time in club sports. That didn't stop daddy time in the street, on the court, on the field and, most importantly, at home. Doing what everyone else does will not provide "separation" over and above peers, it just might keep you up with them, but no "separation".

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Hudbone] #8950954 11/07/23 12:38 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone
Originally Posted by Choctaw
Originally Posted by Jgraider
I'm sure this won't be popular, but these select leagues, travel ball, showcases, Perfect Game, etc are really good at separating parents from their hard earned money. The vast majority of these kids won't play beyond high school, or if they do it will be at a very low level. Most of them are wasting their time. My buddy who I played minor league ball with, and scouted for the Giants for 30 years will tell you the same thing.

I'm betting your son will come back around like Grizz's example. My son did the same thing and he loves it now more than ever. Good luck.

Truth.

It's not the kids wasting their time, it's the parents wasting their kids time while transferring what should be their own parental responsibilities. They seem to think they can hand their kid over to some club level coach (think about that) and he will get them a D-1 schollie and maybe into the pros. We had a wonderful time in club sports. That didn't stop daddy time in the street, on the court, on the field and, most importantly, at home. Doing what everyone else does will not provide "separation" over and above peers, it just might keep you up with them, but no "separation".

Truth, and it’s more than just club coaches. You can tell the kids whose parents don’t practice with them, even on a red team

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8951446 11/08/23 02:53 AM
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
I think garyrapp55 has hit the nail on the head. I would also ask myself if the fact that each hunt the youngsters in question did go on was too successful. Was there not enough challenge?

Re: Kids these days… [Re: Wilhunt] #8951453 11/08/23 03:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
I think garyrapp55 has hit the nail on the head. I would also ask myself if the fact that each hunt the youngsters in question did go on was too successful. Was there not enough challenge?

Interesting question:

I’ve got two boys. Older boy has always struggled with executing a shot. He is prone to miss. He’s only killed but a few bucks…I think 3 total. Shot over a real nice one when he was 11 and passed on some respectable bucks the past several years, but never got a “good” one. Killed a hog or three and has killed two does with a bow. He is busy with high school sports and I often wondered if his lack of interest is due to lack of success or struggles with accurate shooting.

Younger boy could walk out the door, toss a rock over his shoulder and it would land on an animal and knock it stone dead. Kid is just lucky. We had owned our place for just over 24 hours, he gets in a blind and an hour later kills a 140” 10 point. Killed a few nice bucks as well (nothing gigantic) along with a hog about every time he goes out. He won’t shoot a buck unless it’s bigger than what he’s already got.

So I have two kids, both on opposite ends of the spectrum success wise and both have about the same level of interest.

I don’t think success or lack of success is the main driver in interest in this case.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8951460 11/08/23 03:17 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

Younger boy could walk out the door, toss rover his shoulder and it would land on an animal and knock it stone dead. Kid is just lucky.

My oldest daughter is like that. She's hunted just a very few times, but things walk out if she's in the blind. Her older brother was shooting (at) the gong at 200 with the .30-06 Springfield I gave him. She sits down, now this is with a completely unfamiliar rifle to her, and she's only shot a few times in her life, and rings it on her first (and only) time. He's 42 and she's 40. She still loves to burn him.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8952449 11/09/23 10:48 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
It's all about what's in a kid's DNA. Some will grow up with a natural desire to hunt wild animals while others will never show an interest.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Kids these days… [Re: jetdad] #8952588 11/10/23 02:41 AM
G
Gstevens4570 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
G
Originally Posted by jetdad
It would be nice if our kids liked everything we like(d) but life doesn't work that way. Things are completely different from when I was a kid. I think it's that way with most every generation. Heck my parents thought Elvis was evil. Ed Sullivan would only show him from the waist up because he moved his hips. I actually liked to hunt and fish a lot more than my dad. My son is pretty meh when it comes to going. Think about what a thrill it was to get your driver's license. I was at the DMV on my 14th birthday. neither my son or stepson got yheir license until they were 18. I still can't fathom that. Just the way life is.

I'll spin off this. Turned 28 this year but hunting is one of the only hobbies besides making money that I am truly passionate about. Been hunting religiously since I was 16 and could drive myself to a friend's 80 acre farm in Oklahoma. Dad was sick and could not get out much and mom was always working. We were dirt poor and I had to make my own way. Lot's of guys I went to school with are still riding their parent's coattails. Like, I'm glad they were successful and can give their kids things but it has ruined a good chunk of men my age.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8952596 11/10/23 02:50 AM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
^^Very well done on recognizing it. You got hutzpa kid, you're gonna be just fine. up

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Kids these days… [Re: Gstevens4570] #8952629 11/10/23 04:47 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Gstevens4570
Originally Posted by jetdad
It would be nice if our kids liked everything we like(d) but life doesn't work that way. Things are completely different from when I was a kid. I think it's that way with most every generation. Heck my parents thought Elvis was evil. Ed Sullivan would only show him from the waist up because he moved his hips. I actually liked to hunt and fish a lot more than my dad. My son is pretty meh when it comes to going. Think about what a thrill it was to get your driver's license. I was at the DMV on my 14th birthday. neither my son or stepson got yheir license until they were 18. I still can't fathom that. Just the way life is.

I'll spin off this. Turned 28 this year but hunting is one of the only hobbies besides making money that I am truly passionate about. Been hunting religiously since I was 16 and could drive myself to a friend's 80 acre farm in Oklahoma. Dad was sick and could not get out much and mom was always working. We were dirt poor and I had to make my own way. Lot's of guys I went to school with are still riding their parent's coattails. Like, I'm glad they were successful and can give their kids things but it has ruined a good chunk of men my age.

Must respect, keep it up.

Re: Kids these days… [Re: txtrophy85] #8952631 11/10/23 05:08 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
To me there is more to hunting than just going out and killing something. I grew up hunting with my dad and brother and uncles great uncles and grandparents. Never took an animal to a processor. To me and probably what keeps me into it is the whole process from field to table and I can say I enjoy every step.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Kids these days… [Re: redchevy] #8952635 11/10/23 05:52 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by redchevy
To me there is more to hunting than just going out and killing something. I grew up hunting with my dad and brother and uncles great uncles and grandparents. Never took an animal to a processor. To me and probably what keeps me into it is the whole process from field to table and I can say I enjoy every step.

Roger that.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide