Forums46
Topics539,755
Posts9,753,680
Members87,188
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947258 11/01/23 12:01 AM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'm not optimistic about the chances of seeing a good buck, but I've gone several years without pulling the trigger and I can do that for several more. That's just the nature of the hunting area I have available to me. But that's okay, because there's something about being out there with a rifle...maybe it's the feeling of being in command, I dunno. Besides, the chances of seeing hogs is very high and ever present and I'd like to be out shooting hogs no matter what the date is. I guess I just see it as another hog hunt with the option of killing a deer if I see one I want to shoot.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: RiverRider] #8947301 11/01/23 12:48 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by RiverRider
I guess I just see it as another hog hunt with the option of killing a deer if I see one I want to shoot.

And without it being too dang hot. Besides, dem hogs need killen.

Don't know why but it always gets me a little excited to visit the Sporting Goods counter at Walmart the Friday before Opening Day to see the long line of people who waited until the last minute to buy a new hunting license.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/01/23 12:52 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947324 11/01/23 01:17 AM
D
Daniel Boone Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
D
I am 67 and am as excited about this season as I have been in a long time. The primary reason is that we have finally had some rain this year in the panhandle so I am anticipating the horns to be much better this year. Like others, multiple health issues are taking their toll but I am trying to keep the old man out. I actually am supposed to be in Colorado right now mule deer hunting but an achilles tendon that is going to require surgery after the first of the year necessitated a change of plans.

Now that I am retired and have plenty of free time, I plan to hunt as much as I can until I can't.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947439 11/01/23 03:39 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
I think it also depends on what you’ve done in your hunting life. If you’re rich, get to hunt high fence or unbelievable low fence(ex. Waggoner Ranch) have killed tons of 150+ and many 190+. Shooting tons of deer in one season. Not to mention going to Africa several times; I’ve seen these guys burn out. Vs, the good ole boy who never has seen more than 2, 140’s in his life and he really doesn’t care. Just wants to go to the deer lease and see what happens. Always looking for that big one. These guys seem to last.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Huntmaster] #8947445 11/01/23 04:03 AM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I think it also depends on what you’ve done in your hunting life. If you’re rich, get to hunt high fence or unbelievable low fence(ex. Waggoner Ranch) have killed tons of 150+ and many 190+. Shooting tons of deer in one season. Not to mention going to Africa several times; I’ve seen these guys burn out. Vs, the good ole boy who never has seen more than 2, 140’s in his life and he really doesn’t care. Just wants to go to the deer lease and see what happens. Always looking for that big one. These guys seem to last.

Divisive much ?

I’m know people who are not loaded, have killed many record book deer and are still pumped about getting out there and hunting.

Know others who can care less, take what comes and if they get one, fine, if not, that’s ok too.

Income has nothing to do with it.

One of the biggest whitetail hunters I know has killed over 1200 deer and still gets pumped about each and every hunt.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: txtrophy85] #8947475 11/01/23 10:38 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
. . . . I’m know people who are not loaded, have killed many record book deer and are still pumped about getting out there and hunting.

Know others who can care less, take what comes and if they get one, fine, if not, that’s ok too.

Income has nothing to do with it.

One of the biggest whitetail hunters I know has killed over 1200 deer and still gets pumped about each and every hunt.

The focus on his desire is quite compelling.

Last edited by Hudbone; 11/01/23 10:38 AM.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947494 11/01/23 11:12 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I will be out Saturday morning. My rifle is tuned up and I have been shooting a little bit. I have a good pre rut place in mind for a south east wind. I probably won’t shoot anything but there are some i’d like to get a look at where I will be. It is a little early in the year to get a look at them in the daytime, but you never know…

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947504 11/01/23 11:35 AM
H
Huntmaster Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
So, this guy you know kills say 30 deer a year for 40 years from say 15 years old to 55. (Not sure that is what I call hunting; some people might think that is killing) anyway, that guy “might” face burnout. And income, being rich, in hunting…..really?

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947571 11/01/23 01:40 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Compared to now, I used to get more excited when I was hunting with my Dad and brothers. It was a pretty big deal when I was younger. And back when they ran deer with dogs, it was super exciting. Those days are gone now, but I still like to hunt. Mostly it’s just me, but when the Grandson’s love life allows it, he’ll come hunt with me, and that’s fun. And, compared to a few previous years, there are a couple of really nice bucks hanging around - A very nice 10 point and what I call the weird horn buck, who appears to be an 11 point…maybe.

So, off to my favorite stand on opening day, with coffee, a good book, and my 260. And I have some great memories from the past that always come to mind on opening day - mostly the funny ones.

Man, I hope I see that weird horn buck…

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Huntmaster] #8947796 11/01/23 08:05 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So, this guy you know kills say 30 deer a year for 40 years from say 15 years old to 55. (Not sure that is what I call hunting; some people might think that is killing) anyway, that guy “might” face burnout. And income, being rich, in hunting…..really?

I don’t see what income has to do with getting excited about hunting? I know “rich” guys who love to go hunting. I know average income guys who love to go hunting. And I know folks from both camps who don’t really care to hunt.

Income has nothing to do with desire to go hunt. Previous experiences or familiarity might, but then again they may not.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947811 11/01/23 08:37 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I don’t shoot much anymore, a hog or coyote I will, but I still like to go out and sit.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Huntmaster] #8947824 11/01/23 09:01 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

Say what you want, but that guy is probably the most determined, ardent hunter I know. I believe the suggestion of 1,200 may well be low.

I know lots of big money boys who are old and extremely aggressive in their pursuits. One of them used to own his own "big name" South TX ranch and now leases near Encinal. Another has managed many, many big name South TX ranches, has plenty o' money on his own, has probably shot hundreds of management deer and boy, you should see him going now in in his early 70's - no one is down there more. The rest of my hunting group is local, self made "royalty". With a single exception, they run from 59 - 65 and I don't question their passion. Frankly, I am seeing less desire from the younger guys I know who hunt. More of a party for many.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947855 11/01/23 09:52 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Kinda Meh here.

just hard to get fired up about things these days.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947861 11/01/23 10:03 PM
E
Espy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
E
Spent some hours today getting ready. filled feeders cleaned stands checked rifles. Have 2 grandsons who are ready to hunt. I have put many kids on their first deer but really pumped that my grandsons are hunting.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Espy] #8947869 11/01/23 10:12 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Espy
Spent some hours today getting ready. filled feeders cleaned stands checked rifles. Have 2 grandsons who are ready to hunt. I have put many kids on their first deer but really pumped that my grandsons are hunting.

This...is what it's all about. Good hunting to your boys. cheers Some on here, sadly, will never know this joy.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947925 11/01/23 11:34 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I lost a lot of my serious passion for the hunt when my father, who was my main hunting buddy, died in 2013. None of my co-workers hunt and my hunting friends/family members live several states away so I end up hunting alone nearly all the time. Because I really enjoy venison I now hunt does for meat, bucks hold very little interest for me. I readily admit I now view hunting sort of like grocery shopping, a way to get my yearly meat supply.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8947946 11/02/23 12:05 AM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I lost a lot of my serious passion for the hunt when my father, who was my main hunting buddy, died in 2013. None of my co-workers hunt and my hunting friends/family members live several states away so I end up hunting alone nearly all the time. Because I really enjoy venison I now hunt does for meat, bucks hold very little interest for me. I readily admit I now view hunting sort of like grocery shopping, a way to get my yearly meat supply.

I get this. Hunting big deer still gets me going but when my son went off to college it took some wind out of my sail. He is out of college and grown now. We still hunt together some each year. Those are the hunts I most look forward to.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947956 11/02/23 12:19 AM
Roll-Tide Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Im on a place with 4-5 other guys. They never show up. I always have the place to myself, which is good and bad.

Loading a buck in the truck isn’t as easy as it once was.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8948700 11/03/23 02:17 AM
F
Fltmedic Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
Last season I lost the wind in my sails, I was burning through summer getting new stands set up and feeders.
Well in the process my BIL, who’s special needs, suffered significant injuries when my deer blind fell on him while he was helping me unload it from my truck. After that my desire to be out at the ranch diminished to zero. I went out a couple times to fill feeders but maybe sat once or twice last season. My guilt ate at me for the accident and I couldn’t see enjoying a hobby that led to him being badly injured.

This year it was hard going out again, couldn’t get excited especially with chores piling up and UTV not starting. I got some repairs done and paid for some others to free me up to do things I enjoy like filling feeders. Last couple weeks I decided I needed to get in gear. Topped off feeders rented a skid steer to clear fence lines and remove Rocks from feeder sites. Opened up some roads and intersections and got the UTV running again. This week bucks are back running around and I got a tower blind I bought last summer set up.

Now I’m pumped, I do miss the lease environment especially having fellow hunters to share stories with back at camp now on our place it’s normally me hunting alone. I’ll make the best of it and drag my dogs out and my daughters on occasion to fill the void.

Don't take life so seriously, you'll never make it out alive!
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Roll-Tide] #8948703 11/03/23 02:21 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
Im on a place with 4-5 other guys. They never show up. I always have the place to myself, which is good and bad.

Loading a buck in the truck isn’t as easy as it once was.

If you ever need help loading one, reach out.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Fltmedic] #8948705 11/03/23 02:22 AM
Superduty Offline
"The Regulator"
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by Fltmedic
Last season I lost the wind in my sails, I was burning through summer getting new stands set up and feeders.
Well in the process my BIL, who’s special needs, suffered significant injuries when my deer blind fell on him while he was helping me unload it from my truck. After that my desire to be out at the ranch diminished to zero. I went out a couple times to fill feeders but maybe sat once or twice last season. My guilt ate at me for the accident and I couldn’t see enjoying a hobby that led to him being badly injured.

This year it was hard going out again, couldn’t get excited especially with chores piling up and UTV not starting. I got some repairs done and paid for some others to free me up to do things I enjoy like filling feeders. Last couple weeks I decided I needed to get in gear. Topped off feeders rented a skid steer to clear fence lines and remove Rocks from feeder sites. Opened up some roads and intersections and got the UTV running again. This week bucks are back running around and I got a tower blind I bought last summer set up.

Now I’m pumped, I do miss the lease environment especially having fellow hunters to share stories with back at camp now on our place it’s normally me hunting alone. I’ll make the best of it and drag my dogs out and my daughters on occasion to fill the void.

That’s horrible, but Dont blame yourself. Accidents happen.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide