Forums46
Topics538,756
Posts9,740,826
Members87,111
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946743 10/31/23 10:48 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I’ll miss opening weekend. Nephew in Florida is getting married that Saturday. I called and asked if he was out of his rabidass mind and that I was expecting him to be in Texas on opening day. I asked why not postpone the wedding. He said it damn sure wasn’t his idea but he had just screwed up and it was too late to reschedule.

I asked if a shotgun was involved. He said no to that.

First opening weekend I’ve missed since Uncle Sam called on me in 1964.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Huntmaster] #8946749 10/31/23 11:04 AM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
A lot of guys, who are getting older, lose “it”. Statistically, many studies have shown this happens around 60 years old. It can happen to many “flame hunters” earlier. Age does so funny things to the mind. I still get excited.

Yeah my Dad was an avid hunter most of his life. When he reached his 60's he stayed on his lease but would just take his camera to the stand for pictures. He said he lost his desire to kill an animal.

I am 70 and still love it although I don't work as hard at the actual hunting part as I use to. I enjoy seeing other members and their kids (including mine) take the good bucks.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946766 10/31/23 12:07 PM
R
RLoving1 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Lost the urge about 2 years ago. Cost and lack of someone to hunt with have pushed my desire out of the head. Been fun when I enjoyed it, had the desire for 50 years (since I was 10 years old) now its rich mans sport. Enjoy guys!

Brayden (Lazy L's Southern Comfort) you will be missed! You were more than a pet you were my reason to rise and return for many days! You were my rock!
12/26/03-10/25/13
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946768 10/31/23 12:08 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Anyone else "feeling it," but cannot get out until mid-December? bang

[Linked Image]
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946909 10/31/23 03:19 PM
H
Huskerron Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I'm 74 and starting to know what some of you are feeling. Somewhere around 70 I started to not be as mad at deer as I used to be. Now, I'd rather help a newbie get one than kill one myself. This year health issues are starting to cloud my hunting picture. Nothing major. Just one thing after another. Aortic aneurism that isn't enlarged to the point of a stint yet. COPD scarring that agitated a lower respiratory infection for a month. It's no loonger killing a deer or antelope that is important. It's the experience itself. If it's a good ethical hunt, I'm good with that. I just sit there and think "how many folks my age are still doing this?" Somewhere around age 65, the ground gets harder. The ground gets colder. My current lease ends in 2024. That will probably be it on deer for me. Antelope might go a year or two after that. The difference being a) you don't have to get up at the crack of dawn and b) I can still lift them into the back of the truck without hooking up my hitch hoist gambrel Ive already told my hunting partners that if I get one it will be a monster or it will be nothing. Too hard to drag deer out of the river bottom at my age. The thought of "not hunting" though is a scary thought and I may renege on my decision the closer I get to it. I will say that this year I am hunting out of groundblinds only. Exposed ladderstands are no place for a 74 year old.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946915 10/31/23 03:33 PM
C
ChadTRG42 Online Happy
THF Celebrity
Online Happy
THF Celebrity
C
It is my daughters year for a buck. So, I'm super excited and more for her. There is a huge 11 point we are chasing and I'm pumped up to try and get him in her cross hairs!

[Linked Image]
Custom and Precision Ammunition!!
https://DallasReloads.com/
Type 01 and Type 06 FFL
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946918 10/31/23 03:37 PM
D
DJ22 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
It needs to have purpose. Knowing that I am a “wildlife manager” and not just a hunter puts the importance of what I do in an entirely different perspective. Managing the game, and not just killing it makes all the difference in the World to your frame of mind.

Last edited by DJ22; 10/31/23 03:39 PM. Reason: Spelling
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: DJ22] #8946921 10/31/23 03:43 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DJ22
It needs to have purpose. Knowing that I am a “wildlife manager” and not just a hunter puts the importance of what I do in an entirely different perspective. Managing the game, and not just killing it makes all the difference in the World to your frame of mind.

Taking on a greater challenge rather than just waiting on the same old buck to show up and start eating can make it far more rewarding as well if that's all you've been doing for years on end.

I'll be hunting a new tripod my friend and I put up a few weeks ago and I'm excited as hell just to see what shows up totally on its own.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/31/23 03:50 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: DJ22] #8946927 10/31/23 03:50 PM
D
DJ22 Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
D
Originally Posted by DJ22

I’ve actually used the term of “State Licensed Wildlife Manager” with private land owners (city folks) who I needed to ask for permission to recover my deer that ran onto their property, and expired. I would introduce myself, then hand them my ID and hunting license. You are an “agent of the State” with that license. Sounds important to me.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8946959 10/31/23 04:41 PM
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I'm in the same boat. Lost our lease last year and this year moved back to some family land we have hunted in the past. got the feeder full, put up a camera and as it is now every night i have two small doe and a fawn hang around for about 15 hours of the day. I've got three small bucks tat take turns roaming through the place but it feels like a not so promising season. Going fro seeing 30-40 different deer a day to 3-5 is saddening.

You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: RussellWayne] #8946967 10/31/23 05:10 PM
Superduty Online Content
"The Regulator"
Online Content
"The Regulator"
Originally Posted by RussellWayne
I'm in the same boat. Lost our lease last year and this year moved back to some family land we have hunted in the past. got the feeder full, put up a camera and as it is now every night i have two small doe and a fawn hang around for about 15 hours of the day. I've got three small bucks tat take turns roaming through the place but it feels like a not so promising season. Going fro seeing 30-40 different deer a day to 3-5 is saddening.

Seeing deer is still a blessing.

'It's Only Treason if You Lose."
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947075 10/31/23 07:34 PM
T
Texan Til I Die Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
T
I haven't really gotten excited about deer hunting in years. I do enjoy it a lot, but killing a deer, even a big one, doesn't give me much of a rush. It's more like a feeling of deep satisfaction. It's like doing some job I've never done before and it turns out better than I would have expected.

Now having an entire week off from work for the first time in over a year, yeah that has me excited.

Silver spurs and gold tequila
keep me hanging on.
Pretty girls and old cantinas
give me shelter from the storm.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947102 10/31/23 08:06 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Not feeling it...not about the hunting perspective but the ranch has been leased for solar and seems more like a depressing place than a happy get away it used to be.

Fortunately a buddy called and I'm going to hunt with his 16 year old so that sparked a bit more of a desire than I had previously.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947110 10/31/23 08:13 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Learned in the last few years that who you do the hunting with is of a lot more importance than the actual hunting. Used to think I hunted with some individuals that thought as much of me as I thought of them. When push came to shove, I found out that was not true, so who you are putting in time with is of much more importance than what you are actually doing. I will enjoy hunting this year, but not too fired up over killing much except hogs. Getting closer to your own demise sort of makes you step back and look over the entire process.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947118 10/31/23 08:18 PM
G
grizzlyman Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
G
I'm just hurting more this year so that takes some of the anticipation and joy out of it.

NRA Certified Rifle/ML Instructor
NRA Certified RSO
Graduate of Benning's School for Wayward Boys
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947122 10/31/23 08:23 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
I've hunted 50 years. My enthusiasm for it is still what it was when I was 10 years old, maybe more.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Judd] #8947124 10/31/23 08:30 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Judd
Not feeling it...not about the hunting perspective but the ranch has been leased for solar and seems more like a depressing place than a happy get away it used to be.

Fortunately a buddy called and I'm going to hunt with his 16 year old so that sparked a bit more of a desire than I had previously.

Sorry to hear that. Solar farms are destroying as many good farms and ranches as neighborhoods are

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8947125 10/31/23 08:31 PM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
I've hunted 50 years. My enthusiasm for it is still what it was when I was 10 years old, maybe more.

I feel the same way. Started deer hunting with my dad in 1971 when I was 11 yrs old. I immediately fell in love with it, and to this day I can't wait til opening weekend every year. My [censored] buddies have been meeting me in the TX Panhandle to hunt whitetails for 25 years, and I've continued to hunt muleys somewhere every year since 1971. I will say I don't have to kill a big buck to be 100% happy and satisfied, but big bucks still turn my crank.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: tlk] #8947133 10/31/23 08:37 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
A lot of guys, who are getting older, lose “it”. Statistically, many studies have shown this happens around 60 years old. It can happen to many “flame hunters” earlier. Age does so funny things to the mind. I still get excited.

Yeah my Dad was an avid hunter most of his life. When he reached his 60's he stayed on his lease but would just take his camera to the stand for pictures. He said he lost his desire to kill an animal.

I am 70 and still love it although I don't work as hard at the actual hunting part as I use to. I enjoy seeing other members and their kids (including mine) take the good bucks.

My uncle hunted from the age of 25 until about 60 or so. He would still go and sit and shoot a hog, but I can’t remember him ever killing a decent deer past that other than an axis that he shot when he was about 70 or so. When he was about 75 I finally convinced him to shoot a couple of deer just cause and he ended up killing a few does and a fork horn.

We hunted together for 28 years….I killed my first deer when I was 10 sitting on his lap. Sold what was left of the original ranch in late 2020 and he had hung it up, he is now 80 and I hope to have him out to my place for a hunt or two, probably don’t have many opportunities left.

My own kids are busy with their teenage lives and don’t hunt much anymore….kinda depressing when you think about it.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: Jgraider] #8947136 10/31/23 08:47 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson

I feel the same way. Started deer hunting with my dad in 1971 when I was 11 yrs old. I immediately fell in love with it, and to this day I can't wait til opening weekend every year. My [censored] buddies have been meeting me in the TX Panhandle to hunt whitetails for 25 years, and I've continued to hunt muleys somewhere every year since 1971. I will say I don't have to kill a big buck to be 100% happy and satisfied, but big bucks still turn my crank.

Getting to the Panhandle 10 years ago did a lot for my enthusiasm. Bigger deer, bigger hogs, country you can see in, elevation changes, colder weather, a very predictable rut that changes everything.......no place like it. Hunting that big country is nothing like what I did growing up.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947141 10/31/23 08:53 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
as my wife says, I am eaten up with hunting ... always have been since the early age of 4 (almost 5) when I shot my first deer. I haven't missed an opening weekend in 60 years (almost missed one but got a late Sunday afternoon hunt in on my way back from CO). But my actions these days are completely different than 60 years ago when it was "if it's brown, it's down). I sat all last weekend, saw some beautiful animals but just enjoyed my time out in the woods. I will be out again the next 2 weekends as well, with the same vigor (hopefully a bit cooler) and energy.

My dad taught me the love of nature and all things in it, totally respect what God has given us. I hunted with dad until his last season when he was 87 years old, helped him up into a tripod several times that last season, great conversations between his house, the lease and back to his house. He and I raised my son with these same passions and we are now flowing that down to my grandkids.

I know that our time here on earth is not guaranteed, so I try to enjoy things while I still can ...

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947146 10/31/23 08:59 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Before this season ends i will have reached 82 years. Will hunt most weekends during the season and still enjoy it very much. A highlight is seeing the younger hunters have success. I enjoy all of it, the preparation, the work on feeders and pens, and the hunt. Fortunately, I can still do it all however those 50 lb. bags of corn do seem to be a little heavier. It is good for me.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: PMK] #8947151 10/31/23 09:02 PM
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by PMK
as my wife says, I am eaten up with hunting ... always have been since the early age of 4 (almost 5) when I shot my first deer. I haven't missed an opening weekend in 60 years (almost missed one but got a late Sunday afternoon hunt in on my way back from CO). But my actions these days are completely different than 60 years ago when it was "if it's brown, it's down). I sat all last weekend, saw some beautiful animals but just enjoyed my time out in the woods. I will be out again the next 2 weekends as well, with the same vigor (hopefully a bit cooler) and energy.

My dad taught me the love of nature and all things in it, totally respect what God has given us. I hunted with dad until his last season when he was 87 years old, helped him up into a tripod several times that last season, great conversations between his house, the lease and back to his house. He and I raised my son with these same passions and we are now flowing that down to my grandkids.

I know that our time here on earth is not guaranteed, so I try to enjoy things while I still can ...

I'm to the lease Friday, home early Monday morning. Back the next Friday, Saturday and Sunday for my annual take my wife hunting weekend. Then, it's just me and my hunting partners the 17th through the 22nd for the peak of the rut. Mule deer also, so I need to kill a good whitetail early that hunt. Yeah, I'm still fired up about hunting.

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947217 10/31/23 10:36 PM
S
Single Shot Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
S
I Will hunt opening weekend then mostly weekdays during the season I still enjoy it very much. I enjoy the camaraderie the preparation, the work on feeders and pens, and the hunt. Even though 50 lb. bags of corn seem to be a little heavier. I am in my 70s and I still enjoy it all

Re: Anyone else not feeling it this season? [Re: S.A. hunter] #8947249 10/31/23 11:45 PM
L
Longhunter Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
L
Still better than a great day at work... And I'm retiring next week... elmer

Longhunter >>>-------> Make It Count!!!<><

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide