texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
OregonWild, RAUKUS01, Dutch_Dogs_77, ShootScootLoot, JerryC12
72136 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,810
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,572
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Stub 44,161
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics539,027
Posts9,744,383
Members87,136
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Deer decoys? #8943486 10/25/23 08:29 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
syncerus Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Has anyone tried using one of the deer decoys? How did it go? Any hints, tips, or suggestions?


NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943708 10/26/23 01:40 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,391
D
Dave Davidson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 8,391
I have one that I put in a pasture. Nothing showed up either time so…..


Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943732 10/26/23 02:23 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
Any type of bird or animal decoy only works as good as the sounds you create to go with them, albeit ducks, turkeys, coyotes, or deer. Deer decoys are no different that duck decoys where hunters use the sounds of ducks to call other ducks within shooting range. Use a bleat call with a doe decoy and grunts or snort wheezes with a buck decoy. As the case with ducks, the idea is to create an attraction to fool the animal to believe what it sees is the source of what it heard.

Good luck.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/26/23 02:36 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943896 10/26/23 01:58 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
syncerus Offline OP
Extreme Tracker
OP Offline
Extreme Tracker
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,519
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the THF brain trust…


NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943941 10/26/23 03:09 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,926
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,926
put a mannequin in your blind when not there ... bolt


"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943945 10/26/23 03:13 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
Originally Posted by syncerus
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the THF brain trust…


Decoys just aren't a hot topic in a world where food is the main attraction.


"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8943952 10/26/23 03:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,337
H
Herbie Hancock Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
H
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 8,337
That is a very midwest type question.


It takes beer to make thirst worthwhile - J. Fred Schmidt

The internet is an I.Q. Test, people post their scores in the comment section.
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8944029 10/26/23 04:47 PM
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 196
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
C
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 196
I was thinking about this as a confidence type of situation, not to draw them in but to make everything seem "cool" on pressured areas for sure

Re: Deer decoys? [Re: Coastalquacker] #8944056 10/26/23 05:45 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
Originally Posted by Coastalquacker
I was thinking about this as a confidence type of situation, not to draw them in but to make everything seem "cool" on pressured areas for sure


That's definitely at least part of the approach in using duck decoys with the sounds of duck calls being added for greater realism.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 10/26/23 06:01 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8944147 10/26/23 08:41 PM
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,488
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Joined: Mar 2010
Posts: 12,488
I have a lot of deer here and they have their own social structure. Adding a decoy just wigs them out and does more harm than good.

Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8946202 10/30/23 03:21 PM
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 330
F
fredgus Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
F
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 330
I had one back in the 80s in mexico we had a lot of fun with it, you have to make sure of no human sent, we would spray it with buck lure and put it on the edge of a sendero close to the tripod and bucks would come closer to ck it out, never did kill a deer because of it though, every now and then a buck would nose it and his next step would be 20 feet

Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8946221 10/30/23 03:44 PM
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 788
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
D
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 788
If hunting from the ground without a blind, these can help.

https://ultimatepredatorgear.com/ultimate-predator-stalker-decoys/

I was bowhunting and when I moved to draw, the deer started to bolt. I grunted as I sidestepped the bush in my way and the doe stopped to look at me. She was nice and healthy. Sorry, I'd have to dig around for a pic.

Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8946279 10/30/23 04:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 60,682
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 60,682
Originally Posted by syncerus
Not exactly a ringing endorsement from the THF brain trust…


spot and stalk or stationary?

for spot and stalk- Ive used heads up and ultimate predator, prefer ultimate predator by a large margin

I have the pronghorn, whitetail and mule deer


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8946897 10/31/23 02:56 PM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 365
B
Buccaneer Offline
Bird Dog
Offline
Bird Dog
B
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 365
I've used them with great success here in Texas. And it's always fun to see deer interact with the decoys whether it's a shooter or not. A few tips:

1) Portability: full bodied decoys are great but not great for carrying long distance or through heavy woods. If you need portable and lightweight, the Montana Decoys (silhouette style) do work very well and super light and easy to carry

2) Scent control especially important so use gloves when touching, spray deke with scent control spray, hang appropriate attractant nearby

3) Bucks tend to approach doe decoys from behind and buck decoys from the front, so position accordingly

4) Keep your deke well inside of your range for bow; so if you're comfortable with 30 yard shot, keep deke within 15 yards, since deer may circle deke on opposite side from you

5) Good time to use calls and rattling antlers, since the sounds will match seeing the decoy

6) If using silhouette, the 2 sides will be viewable while other 2 directions not (since it's flat), so position decoy for best visibility through the deers' expected sight lines

7) Don't use decoys if hunting does - they are just as likely to spook the does as attract them. Decoys best used for Bucks. Exception is using a fawn decoy to attract does which can definitely work.

8) Cut a small brown plastic bag (like from grocery store) into shape of a tail and attach it to butt of decoy. Works with flat or full bodied. The tail will move in the slightest breeze and give some nice motion to the decoy

9) Generally, use buck decoys early in season, doe or buck with doe during rut, and lone doe during 2nd rut

10) Another benefit to decoys is that they take attention away from you, giving you more time and more ability to move without being noticed since the buck is often locked in on the decoy. I've had bucks within 15 yards of me staring at a buck decoy and pawing the ground like a bull about to charge.

Give it a try! I think you'll really like it

Re: Deer decoys? [Re: Buccaneer] #8946930 10/31/23 03:56 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 22,284
Originally Posted by Buccaneer
I've used them with great success here in Texas. And it's always fun to see deer interact with the decoys whether it's a shooter or not. A few tips:

1) Portability: full bodied decoys are great but not great for carrying long distance or through heavy woods. If you need portable and lightweight, the Montana Decoys (silhouette style) do work very well and super light and easy to carry

2) Scent control especially important so use gloves when touching, spray deke with scent control spray, hang appropriate attractant nearby

3) Bucks tend to approach doe decoys from behind and buck decoys from the front, so position accordingly

4) Keep your deke well inside of your range for bow; so if you're comfortable with 30 yard shot, keep deke within 15 yards, since deer may circle deke on opposite side from you

5) Good time to use calls and rattling antlers, since the sounds will match seeing the decoy

6) If using silhouette, the 2 sides will be viewable while other 2 directions not (since it's flat), so position decoy for best visibility through the deers' expected sight lines

7) Don't use decoys if hunting does - they are just as likely to spook the does as attract them. Decoys best used for Bucks. Exception is using a fawn decoy to attract does which can definitely work.

8) Cut a small brown plastic bag (like from grocery store) into shape of a tail and attach it to butt of decoy. Works with flat or full bodied. The tail will move in the slightest breeze and give some nice motion to the decoy

9) Generally, use buck decoys early in season, doe or buck with doe during rut, and lone doe during 2nd rut

10) Another benefit to decoys is that they take attention away from you, giving you more time and more ability to move without being noticed since the buck is often locked in on the decoy. I've had bucks within 15 yards of me staring at a buck decoy and pawing the ground like a bull about to charge.

Give it a try! I think you'll really like it


One of the most useful posts I've seen here in a very long time.


"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Deer decoys? [Re: syncerus] #8946954 10/31/23 04:34 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 188
R
RussellWayne Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
R
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 188
I used on in Hamilton a few times. Very limited success. Cows on the other hand would knock them over and rough em up pretty good jusyt being playful. Was'nt worth the trouble.


You have to remember, they might not be drinking as much as we are.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3