texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Josh-04512, dblmikeusa1, Hog-Pro, 4Notch, Niknoc76
72042 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,795
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,517
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Stub 43,848
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics537,780
Posts9,729,060
Members87,042
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Recommendations for Blinds #8940891 10/22/23 02:19 AM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Howdy, I'm looking to buy my first blind, to put on some land I acquired in central Texas. I would like it to be big enough for 3 people, and I want it to be on a raised stand. What recommendations do ya'll have, or resources you can point me to? Thanks!

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8941738 10/23/23 12:31 PM
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 907
B
bholt Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
B
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 907
Build it yourself and let you imagination go wild, sounds like at least a 67' long and I'd say 5'Wide minumum


B Holt
Shoot-em in the ear
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8941862 10/23/23 03:12 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,425
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,425
Call Westex Steel outa Santos. The owner, Wes, often answers the phone. Multiple people on here have bragged on them before. They also make great towers and will have, or make, about anything you want in a tower.


At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: freerange] #8943149 10/25/23 10:36 AM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by freerange
Call Westex Steel outa Santos. The owner, Wes, often answers the phone. Multiple people on here have bragged on them before. They also make great towers and will have, or make, about anything you want in a tower.

Thank you for the tip! I'll look into this.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: bholt] #8943150 10/25/23 10:39 AM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by bholt
Build it yourself and let you imagination go wild, sounds like at least a 67' long and I'd say 5'Wide minumum

That's a good idea. I'll look through the "DIY DEER BLIND PLANS" thread for creative inspiration.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943232 10/25/23 01:15 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,861
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,861
3 people ... depends on how friendly they are with each other ... LOL ...

I bought a wooden shipping crate that was 5' x 8' x 6'6" tall (inside dimensions) and cut out window openings on all sides and used the plywood cutouts with hinges as window coverings. I slapped 3 pieces of 10' corrugated sheet metal on top with about 1' overhang lengthwise and a couple inches sideways for drip protection. Put a couple of 1x6 shelves for storage. Then put 3 swivel office chairs in it with plenty of room for all chairs to turn. This size makes for a very nice space for 3 hunters, could squeeze in 4 but would be crowded. We added the elevator brackets to the 4 corners with about 5' legs and built stairs to the door opening. It was a very reliable stand until a large brush fire went thru our place.

My main blind is one I built that is 6' x 6' x 6'6" and it is great for 2 people, could fit 3 but would be crowded for more than 1 shooter.


"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943525 10/25/23 09:25 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 14,150
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 14,150
These are very roomy, easy to put up, easy to move, durable and rather sensibly priced.

[img]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ting+&cto_pld=2ldqxCWSAABmtAYzcnk40Q[/img]

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943530 10/25/23 09:29 PM
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 25,239
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 25,239
Except for the roomy part, the same could be said for The Blynd, built in San Antonio...if they're still around. And they come with a, albeit plywood, floor.

You can always buy the double, it'll seat 3. The wife and I put one together in a fairly high wind. She still reminds me about the profanity I used. 'Not a good day.

Last edited by Creekrunner; 10/25/23 09:31 PM.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: PMK] #8943568 10/25/23 10:15 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by PMK
3 people ... depends on how friendly they are with each other ... LOL ...

I bought a wooden shipping crate that was 5' x 8' x 6'6" tall (inside dimensions) and cut out window openings on all sides and used the plywood cutouts with hinges as window coverings. I slapped 3 pieces of 10' corrugated sheet metal on top with about 1' overhang lengthwise and a couple inches sideways for drip protection. Put a couple of 1x6 shelves for storage. Then put 3 swivel office chairs in it with plenty of room for all chairs to turn. This size makes for a very nice space for 3 hunters, could squeeze in 4 but would be crowded. We added the elevator brackets to the 4 corners with about 5' legs and built stairs to the door opening. It was a very reliable stand until a large brush fire went thru our place.

My main blind is one I built that is 6' x 6' x 6'6" and it is great for 2 people, could fit 3 but would be crowded for more than 1 shooter.

That's a good use of a shipping crate! I'll see if I can find any around me.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: Hudbone] #8943572 10/25/23 10:18 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Hudbone
These are very roomy, easy to put up, easy to move, durable and rather sensibly priced.

[img]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ting+&cto_pld=2ldqxCWSAABmtAYzcnk40Q[/img]

This seems to be the same one that is advertised here?

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8941694/1

It does look really interesting, and I'm thinking about it as an option.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: Creekrunner] #8943573 10/25/23 10:19 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by Creekrunner
Except for the roomy part, the same could be said for The Blynd, built in San Antonio...if they're still around. And they come with a, albeit plywood, floor.

You can always buy the double, it'll seat 3. The wife and I put one together in a fairly high wind. She still reminds me about the profanity I used. 'Not a good day.

Another good tip. I'll look into them. Thanks!

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943885 10/26/23 01:44 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 14,150
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 14,150
Originally Posted by ARtexas
Originally Posted by Hudbone
These are very roomy, easy to put up, easy to move, durable and rather sensibly priced.

[img]https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1...ting+&cto_pld=2ldqxCWSAABmtAYzcnk40Q[/img]

This seems to be the same one that is advertised here?

https://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/8941694/1

It does look really interesting, and I'm thinking about it as an option.


One and the same. I have utilized a similar 6 foot circle plastic blind for twenty some odd years now. I think Free bought some used ones. The circle concept is roomy.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943915 10/26/23 02:27 PM
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15,694
6
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
6
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 15,694
Look up Redneck Blinds. They are delivered ready to use, though the elevating framework has to be assembled. Not hard to do, and all the parts are there - nuts and bolts. They are light enough that a couple of guys could stand it up once the tower is assembled. Mine is only 4x6, but I didn’t need anything bigger. Windows have rubber seals, so very little leakage when it rains. I’ve had mine for maybe 8 years or more. No problems.

The only complaint I have is that buzzards like to land on top, and that makes an ungodly racket when they struggle for traction on the hard roof.


Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8943978 10/26/23 03:38 PM
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,861
P
PMK Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
P
Joined: Sep 2012
Posts: 12,861
Originally Posted by ARtexas
Originally Posted by PMK
3 people ... depends on how friendly they are with each other ... LOL ...

I bought a wooden shipping crate that was 5' x 8' x 6'6" tall (inside dimensions) and cut out window openings on all sides and used the plywood cutouts with hinges as window coverings. I slapped 3 pieces of 10' corrugated sheet metal on top with about 1' overhang lengthwise and a couple inches sideways for drip protection. Put a couple of 1x6 shelves for storage. Then put 3 swivel office chairs in it with plenty of room for all chairs to turn. This size makes for a very nice space for 3 hunters, could squeeze in 4 but would be crowded. We added the elevator brackets to the 4 corners with about 5' legs and built stairs to the door opening. It was a very reliable stand until a large brush fire went thru our place.

My main blind is one I built that is 6' x 6' x 6'6" and it is great for 2 people, could fit 3 but would be crowded for more than 1 shooter.

That's a good use of a shipping crate! I'll see if I can find any around me.

oh yeah, swing by your local Home Depot/Lowes and find some exterior paint for the sides. I found 3-4 gallons of pre-mixed that were returned due to wrong color (3-4 different colors), for real cheap, homemade camo pattern to protect the wood.
This is one of the setups
[Linked Image]


"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8944007 10/26/23 04:18 PM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,061
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 6,061
Build your own 5x8, have some fun with it.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: freerange] #8944110 10/26/23 07:29 PM
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,478
4
4Weight Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
4
Joined: Nov 2011
Posts: 4,478
Originally Posted by freerange
Call Westex Steel outa Santos. The owner, Wes, often answers the phone. Multiple people on here have bragged on them before. They also make great towers and will have, or make, about anything you want in a tower.


Second this. I consider Wes a good friend. Have done business with him for over 15 years.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: 603Country] #8944477 10/27/23 12:24 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by 603Country
Look up Redneck Blinds. They are delivered ready to use, though the elevating framework has to be assembled. Not hard to do, and all the parts are there - nuts and bolts. They are light enough that a couple of guys could stand it up once the tower is assembled. Mine is only 4x6, but I didn’t need anything bigger. Windows have rubber seals, so very little leakage when it rains. I’ve had mine for maybe 8 years or more. No problems.

The only complaint I have is that buzzards like to land on top, and that makes an ungodly racket when they struggle for traction on the hard roof.

Thanks! I'll check them out.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: PMK] #8944484 10/27/23 12:37 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by PMK
Originally Posted by ARtexas
Originally Posted by PMK
3 people ... depends on how friendly they are with each other ... LOL ...

I bought a wooden shipping crate that was 5' x 8' x 6'6" tall (inside dimensions) and cut out window openings on all sides and used the plywood cutouts with hinges as window coverings. I slapped 3 pieces of 10' corrugated sheet metal on top with about 1' overhang lengthwise and a couple inches sideways for drip protection. Put a couple of 1x6 shelves for storage. Then put 3 swivel office chairs in it with plenty of room for all chairs to turn. This size makes for a very nice space for 3 hunters, could squeeze in 4 but would be crowded. We added the elevator brackets to the 4 corners with about 5' legs and built stairs to the door opening. It was a very reliable stand until a large brush fire went thru our place.

My main blind is one I built that is 6' x 6' x 6'6" and it is great for 2 people, could fit 3 but would be crowded for more than 1 shooter.

That's a good use of a shipping crate! I'll see if I can find any around me.

oh yeah, swing by your local Home Depot/Lowes and find some exterior paint for the sides. I found 3-4 gallons of pre-mixed that were returned due to wrong color (3-4 different colors), for real cheap, homemade camo pattern to protect the wood.
This is one of the setups
[Linked Image]

Excellent camo! cool

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8944491 10/27/23 12:48 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Thank you all for your recommendations!

For pre-built blinds, here's my homework assignment to research:

* Wes-Tex Blinds
* Maverick Blinds
* Redneck Blinds
* The Blynd

And for Do-It-Yourself, I need to:

* Search around for Wooden Shipping Crates
* Read through the "DIY Deer Blind Plans" on this forum

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8944563 10/27/23 02:46 PM
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,425
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 8,425
Originally Posted by ARtexas
Thank you all for your recommendations!

For pre-built blinds, here's my homework assignment to research:

* Wes-Tex Blinds
* Maverick Blinds
* Redneck Blinds
* The Blynd

And for Do-It-Yourself, I need to:

* Search around for Wooden Shipping Crates
* Read through the "DIY Deer Blind Plans" on this forum

You got it. You have an organized mind.
On the Mavericks I dont like the windows that are more vertical like that. They are good for bow hunting but not nearly as good for rifle. Thats just me and Im very picky about stuff like that so it may not matter to many.


At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: freerange] #8944627 10/27/23 04:25 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by ARtexas
Thank you all for your recommendations!

For pre-built blinds, here's my homework assignment to research:

* Wes-Tex Blinds
* Maverick Blinds
* Redneck Blinds
* The Blynd

And for Do-It-Yourself, I need to:

* Search around for Wooden Shipping Crates
* Read through the "DIY Deer Blind Plans" on this forum

You got it. You have an organized mind.
On the Mavericks I dont like the windows that are more vertical like that. They are good for bow hunting but not nearly as good for rifle. Thats just me and Im very picky about stuff like that so it may not matter to many.

That's a really good point on the window shapes. I didn't notice that until you pointed it out. I agree that I would prefer more horizontal windows.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: ARtexas] #8944997 10/28/23 12:53 PM
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
B
B_Man Offline
Woodsman
Offline
Woodsman
B
Joined: Aug 2018
Posts: 232
I am late to this thread but there are a couple that might interest you.

1. the Big Dog Deer blind - guy near Conroe Texas builds them.

2. Antler Shed Blind. - a lot of dealers in East Texas and even a dealer near Oklahoma City.

We have 1 Antler Shed and just bought 3 more. Different options on them in regards to using
as a ground blind (1-2 foot off the ground) , use your own 4" x 4" length you want for blind height
or get there base and towers.

There are several comments and feedback on those blinds from THF members who have bought and used them.
Just do a search.

Just my 2 cents.

Re: Recommendations for Blinds [Re: B_Man] #8945187 10/28/23 08:35 PM
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
A
ARtexas Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
A
Joined: Jan 2022
Posts: 41
Originally Posted by B_Man
I am late to this thread but there are a couple that might interest you.

1. the Big Dog Deer blind - guy near Conroe Texas builds them.

2. Antler Shed Blind. - a lot of dealers in East Texas and even a dealer near Oklahoma City.

We have 1 Antler Shed and just bought 3 more. Different options on them in regards to using
as a ground blind (1-2 foot off the ground) , use your own 4" x 4" length you want for blind height
or get there base and towers.

There are several comments and feedback on those blinds from THF members who have bought and used them.
Just do a search.

Just my 2 cents.

Excellent, thanks! I'll add them to the list.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3