texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
GKFire, IHNTDUX, OregonWild, RAUKUS01, Dutch_Dogs_77
72138 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,811
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 65,582
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
Stub 44,177
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics539,101
Posts9,745,407
Members87,138
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Fabrication Table #8938955 10/19/23 02:09 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
Do any of you guys use a fabrication table and clamps when working on assembly?

https://weldtables.com/collections/all/2x4?sort_by=title-ascending

I drew up a 2’x4’ on AutoCAD yesterday and went through a couple bids on a 3/8” top.. I can handle the assembly.

Would you use one in your shop?

[Linked Image]

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8938977 10/19/23 02:50 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,023
K
Kevin_M Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
K
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,023
Have used one many times and it comes in handy. I used to have a 2x4 but it ended up being too small and sold it. If I can ever get my shop done, I plan on building a 4x8, I would go with 1/2" plate for the top. Maybe overkill but I would have concerns about warping with 3/8.

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8938988 10/19/23 02:54 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,855
H
huntingag01 Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
H
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,855
I have a 4ft x 5.5ft 3/4 in plate.

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: huntingag01] #8938989 10/19/23 02:58 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by Kevin_M
Have used one many times and it comes in handy. I used to have a 2x4 but it ended up being too small and sold it. If I can ever get my shop done, I plan on building a 4x8, I would go with 1/2" plate for the top. Maybe overkill but I would have concerns about warping with 3/8.


What height did you find best - like counter top height?

I may have to take out a mortgage and get a bigger skidsteer to move the 1/2" plate. I will see what they will charge to cut it out of 1/2.. wonder what that sucker will weigh?!

Originally Posted by huntingag01
I have a 4ft x 5.5ft 3/4 in plate.


I bet that thing is a beast!!

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8939021 10/19/23 03:31 PM
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,023
K
Kevin_M Offline
Pro Tracker
Offline
Pro Tracker
K
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,023
a 4x8 sheet of 1/2" plate will weigh about 650 or so pounds. As far as the height, you can make it somewhat adjustable incorporating adjustable casters. but to make it as comfortable as possible, that will take a lot of measuring on your part to make it comfortable for you. I am 6'3" so mine was taller than it would be for someone that is 5'10". Make sense. Build it specific to you.

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8939048 10/19/23 04:14 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 10,459
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 10,459
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just got rid of this 4x8 and cut out two 2.5x5’s that we can bolt together when needed. The 4x8 tables we end up with 4x2 of workspace and the rest is just cluttered up. For the f clamps, I use the harbor freight cheap ones and weld a 5/8” bolt to the bottom.

As far as usability, I like to use it every now and then to hold stuff square but not as often as I thought I would. If you were to be doing some repeat parts, the holes are cool to use to bolt stuff to. We have some attachments we use like a pipe bender that can be bolted to the sides wherever we need it.

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Ramball36] #8939094 10/19/23 05:05 PM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by Ramball36
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I just got rid of this 4x8 and cut out two 2.5x5’s that we can bolt together when needed. The 4x8 tables we end up with 4x2 of workspace and the rest is just cluttered up. For the f clamps, I use the harbor freight cheap ones and weld a 5/8” bolt to the bottom.

As far as usability, I like to use it every now and then to hold stuff square but not as often as I thought I would. If you were to be doing some repeat parts, the holes are cool to use to bolt stuff to. We have some attachments we use like a pipe bender that can be bolted to the sides wherever we need it.


That is sweet!! what thickness did you go with for your 5x5s?

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8939213 10/19/23 07:56 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 10,459
R
Ramball36 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 10,459
They’re 1/4”, that 4x8 was also 1/4”. With the grid underneath it was just as stout as our 1/2” plate table, but easier to move

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Tru_texan36] #8939308 10/19/23 10:23 PM
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 5,985
Ol Thumper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 5,985
I’ve got a 4X4 and a 5X10 I used all the time back when I had free time but I think anyone who likes building things needs one in their shop. I highly recommend building them with jacks and steel rollers integrated into each end so they can be lifted and rolled around easily. I put wheels on my little one when I got it and it moved around to much but they’re to heavy to move without them. I can raise all of my welding tables up and move them anywhere in the shop within a couple minutes by myself and one weighs well over 2000 pounds. You can also build them shorter and raise the deck height up by adding spacers under the legs with the jacks.

I’d say 3/8” at the minimum but I’d personally go with a 1/2” simply for the added weight and helping stabilize it from warping, both of mine are 1/2” and it makes a difference. I had a small one out of 1/4” and a larger one out of 3/8”s and when I upgraded I was glad I did.

Re: Fabrication Table [Re: Ol Thumper] #8939605 10/20/23 02:18 AM
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
T
Tru_texan36 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 646
Originally Posted by Ramball36
They’re 1/4”, that 4x8 was also 1/4”. With the grid underneath it was just as stout as our 1/2” plate table, but easier to move


Awesome, thank you!!

Originally Posted by Ol Thumper
I’ve got a 4X4 and a 5X10 I used all the time back when I had free time but I think anyone who likes building things needs one in their shop. I highly recommend building them with jacks and steel rollers integrated into each end so they can be lifted and rolled around easily. I put wheels on my little one when I got it and it moved around to much but they’re to heavy to move without them. I can raise all of my welding tables up and move them anywhere in the shop within a couple minutes by myself and one weighs well over 2000 pounds. You can also build them shorter and raise the deck height up by adding spacers under the legs with the jacks.

I’d say 3/8” at the minimum but I’d personally go with a 1/2” simply for the added weight and helping stabilize it from warping, both of mine are 1/2” and it makes a difference. I had a small one out of 1/4” and a larger one out of 3/8”s and when I upgraded I was glad I did.



Great advice!! I appreciate it!

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3