Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
For you Ford Fans... #8928505 10/03/23 01:08 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating more than 708,000 trucks and SUVs built by Ford and Lincoln due to reports of "catastrophic engine failures." The agency expands investigation of vehicles all powered by a turbocharged 2.7- or 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6. Good Luck!!!

Ford "catastrophic engine failures"

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928506 10/03/23 01:14 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The oil pump is being driven by a cogged rubber belt that is submerged in oil. A failure is virtually guaranteed at as low as 40k. It used to be driven by a chain but that cost too much and didn't fail quick enough. The exhaust port layout in the cylinder head also puts immense stress on the head gaskets making that an almost guaranteed point of failure. The Coyote V8s are relatively rugged outside of the cam phasers and cam tensioners.

Trolling? Heck no, I meant every word of it.
Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928518 10/03/23 01:30 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Just got my Cam Phasers fixed for the second time on my '18 Raptor. First time was under factory warranty and second time was under extended 3rd party warranty. Wish they would have just stuck with the 6.2L that was in my original Raptor. That thing seemed bullet proof. I didn't have to do anything to that engine besides oil changes all the way up until I sold it at 185K miles.

[Linked Image]

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928522 10/03/23 01:35 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by The Dude Abides
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) is investigating more than 708,000 trucks and SUVs built by Ford and Lincoln due to reports of "catastrophic engine failures." The agency expands investigation of vehicles all powered by a turbocharged 2.7- or 3.0-liter EcoBoost V6. Good Luck!!!

Ford "catastrophic engine failures"

The majority of my fleet of Triton V8 can easily get 400K with minor engine issues.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: KRoyal] #8928523 10/03/23 01:37 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by KRoyal
Just got my Cam Phasers fixed for the second time on my '18 Raptor. First time was under factory warranty and second time was under extended 3rd party warranty. Wish they would have just stuck with the 6.2L that was in my original Raptor. That thing seemed bullet proof. I didn't have to do anything to that engine besides oil changes all the way up until I sold it at 185K miles.

The manufacturers don't have a choice about making the engines more complex. What they're doing is done out of necessity to meet emission standards that are constantly being tightened. Those standards are passed completely outside of the legislative process and no one has ever voted on them. Fanatics at the EPA are trying to force the internal combustion engine out of existence.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928526 10/03/23 01:38 PM
B
BarneyWho Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
B
215K trouble free miles on my sorry 3.5L Ecoboost. I know. I just jinxed it. bang

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928531 10/03/23 01:43 PM
G
Grit Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
G
2009 5.4L V8 still going strong.

Garrett
Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928539 10/03/23 01:49 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
How's your Raptor R doing?

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: Buzzsaw] #8928543 10/03/23 01:54 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by blkt2

The manufacturers don't have a choice about making the engines more complex. What they're doing is done out of necessity to meet emission standards that are constantly being tightened. Those standards are passed completely outside of the legislative process and no one has ever voted on them. Fanatics at the EPA are trying to force the internal combustion engine out of existence.

Oh I'm aware of the reason why they have to do it, I understand them having to put them in most of their vehicles. But the Raptor is supposed to be a high performance off road machine. Most people buying them do not care about MPG and if you do, you're buying the wrong truck. Mine averages 13.5MPG and my '12 with the 6.2L averaged 12.5MPG. I'd much rather have the 1 less MPG and the 6.2L even though the 6.2L isn't as powerful as the 3.5 HOEco, I'd still rather have that engine.

Originally Posted by Buzzsaw

I wish I could afford one, they're stupid expensive especially when you add in the markup.

[Linked Image]

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: KRoyal] #8928548 10/03/23 01:57 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B

Oh I'm aware of the reason why they have to do it, I understand them having to put them in most of their vehicles. But the Raptor is supposed to be a high performance off road machine. Most people buying them do not care about MPG and if you do, you're buying the wrong truck. Mine averages 13.5MPG and my '12 with the 6.2L averaged 12.5MPG. I'd much rather have the 1 less MPG and the 6.2L even though the 6.2L isn't as powerful as the 3.5 HOEco, I'd still rather have that engine.

I wish I could afford one, they're stupid expensive especially when you add in the markup.

The "Dude" supposedly had one ordered. I saw one at Auto Nation, had some miles on it. Think they wanted $90. STUPID

Last edited by Buzzsaw; 10/03/23 01:57 PM.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: Grit] #8928549 10/03/23 01:58 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Grit
2009 5.4L V8 still going strong.

08 with a rebuilt engine and now new coil pacs again.
The 3 valve is a turd.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: KRoyal] #8928554 10/03/23 02:06 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Because of the unbelievable amount of man hours that it takes to program the computer for every conceivable operating conditions the manufacturers cannot afford to have a proprietary engine for a niche application. Pre OBDII you could have a car on the road with about 8,500 man hours put into developing the tune. Post OBDII that number has hit about 280,000 man hours and is climbing rapidly. Given the additional complexity of the Eco Boost engines I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they had 600,000 man hours in developing the tune once you consider that the transmission is also completely computer-controlled.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: blkt2] #8928565 10/03/23 02:22 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

The "Dude" supposedly had one ordered. I saw one at Auto Nation, had some miles on it. Think they wanted $90. STUPID

Believe he had the Raptor Ranger on order not the Raptor R.

Because of the unbelievable amount of man hours that it takes to program the computer for every conceivable operating conditions the manufacturers cannot afford to have a proprietary engine for a niche application. Pre OBDII you could have a car on the road with about 8,500 man hours put into developing the tune. Post OBDII that number has hit about 280,000 man hours and is climbing rapidly. Given the additional complexity of the Eco Boost engines I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they had 600,000 man hours in developing the tune once you consider that the transmission is also completely computer-controlled.

For 1 the 6.2L isn't a proprietary engine, it was already in the line up and had been for years. 2 Yes they have proprietary engines for their High Performance vehicles and always have going back to the days of SVT which is now Ford Performance. I had one of the '02 SVT Lightnings as well it was the 5.4L with a blower on it from the factory. Same as the '03-'04 Cobra Terminators with the 4.6L and blower. Ford has always put special engines in their high performance vehicles.

[Linked Image]

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: KRoyal] #8928570 10/03/23 02:29 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Believe he had the Raptor Ranger on order not the Raptor R.

For 1 the 6.2L isn't a proprietary engine, it was already in the line up and had been for years. 2 Yes they have proprietary engines for their High Performance vehicles and always have going back to the days of SVT which is now Ford Performance. I had one of the '02 SVT Lightnings as well it was the 5.4L with a blower on it from the factory. Same as the '03-'04 Cobra Terminators with the 4.6L and blower. Ford has always put special engines in their high performance vehicles.

My uncle is a lead engineer at Ford and I practically Bleed Blue. Ford has used proprietary engines in the past and will no longer do so because they now have a policy requiring that each platform turn a profit. The niche vehicles previously were used just for advertising and were sold at a loss to the company. Continuing to use the 6.2 is no longer an option. It would be kind of neat to see the medium duty 7.3 L engine put into some hot rod trucks.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: blkt2] #8928576 10/03/23 02:39 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend

My uncle is a lead engineer at Ford and I practically Bleed Blue. Ford has used proprietary engines in the past and will no longer do so because they now have a policy requiring that each platform turn a profit. The niche vehicles previously were used just for advertising and were sold at a loss to the company. Continuing to use the 6.2 is no longer an option. It would be kind of neat to see the medium duty 7.3 L engine put into some hot rod trucks.

I'm not saying they have to use the 6.2L, I'm saying I prefer it over the 3.5 HOEco. They could have easily dropped the Blown 5.2L from the Shelby into the regular Raptor keeping the price point around $85-$90K which seams fitting for their flagship "super truck". Instead they let Dodge beat them to the market share with the TRX, then played catch up to release the Raptor R for stupid money. It is insane that my truck cost almost 30K more than my first house. After this one I wont' be buying another one, probably won't even be buying a Ford at this point.

[Linked Image]

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: KRoyal] #8928580 10/03/23 02:44 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
It's not as simple as dropping in the engine.

I'm not saying they have to use the 6.2L, I'm saying I prefer it over the 3.5 HOEco. They could have easily dropped the Blown 5.2L from the Shelby into the regular Raptor keeping the price point around $85-$90K which seams fitting for their flagship "super truck". Instead they let Dodge beat them to the market share with the TRX, then played catch up to release the Raptor R for stupid money. It is insane that my truck cost almost 30K more than my first house. After this one I wont' be buying another one, probably won't even be buying a Ford at this point.

It is not as simple as simply dropping in the engine. You have to tune everything to match the vehicle that it is in. Before I started working on pools I worked in the performance aftermarket and I am a very experienced tuner with probably 3,500 to 4,000 hours operating a dyno. I even own my own dyno still today and in the early 90s took a contract with Ford to tune their vehicles for cold start while being stuck north of the Arctic Circle for 9 months. I don't think you have an understanding of the almost insurmountable task of tuning an engine to operate under all conditions in a new platform. The amount of work that it takes is absolutely mind-boggling.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928592 10/03/23 02:58 PM
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Closet Ford guy here peep

My mall runner

[Linked Image]

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: blkt2] #8928595 10/03/23 03:03 PM
KRoyal Offline
Texoma Legend
Texoma Legend
It's not as simple as dropping in the engine.

It is not as simple as simply dropping in the engine. You have to tune everything to match the vehicle that it is in. Before I started working on pools I worked in the performance aftermarket and I am a very experienced tuner with probably 3,500 to 4,000 hours operating a dyno. I even own my own dyno still today and in the early 90s took a contract with Ford to tune their vehicles for cold start while being stuck north of the Arctic Circle for 9 months. I don't think you have an understanding of the almost insurmountable task of tuning an engine to operate under all conditions in a new platform. The amount of work that it takes is absolutely mind-boggling.

You're right, I've never tuned an engine before. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn once.

Regardless, it makes your point moot because obviously they could have done it from the get go. Instead of putting the 3.5Eco in the Raptor in 2016 they could have put the 5.2L from the GT500 in it. They obviously did it with the Raptor R so it was obviously doable, they chose not to do it.

Both the Blown 5.2L and the 3.5Eco existed in 2016 and were already being used. Ford chose to put the Eco in to claim MPG numbers that were never achievable. Instead of giving the enthusiast, that pay out the nose for their high performance vehicles, what they wanted. Then a few years later after Dodge beats them to the punch on a actual "super truck" all the sudden pooffff oh look the Raptor R is introduced out of no where to compete with the TRX but for an extra $30K.

So don't give me that crap, if Ford wanted to do it, they would have. Has nothing to do with tuning an engine, its about bottom line. They make way more money off the puny 3.5 Eco claiming unattainable MPG numbers and selling them to the masses vs building an actual "super truck" that enthusiast really want.

[Linked Image]

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928600 10/03/23 03:10 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Manufacturers have a hard time making single Cent off of performance vehicles. Why do you think lamborghini, ferrari, porsche, and all of them have had financial troubles over the years? The SVO, and SVT divisions at Ford never made them any money although it did drive people into the showrooms and cause a lot of excitement. I'm also baffled at why they chose to use the engine that they did but they did the same thing in the new Ford GT as well. Heck, I'm still baffled why they stopped making the 05 gt? They could have thrown a label on the back and called it a Mustang and people would still be buying them.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928616 10/03/23 03:33 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Need to make ram face the fire for their main bearing failures on the gen II ecodiesels.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: Buzzsaw] #8928618 10/03/23 03:34 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

I flipped it! Made $25K

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: redchevy] #8928624 10/03/23 03:40 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by redchevy
Need to make ram face the fire for their main bearing failures on the gen II ecodiesels.

You will not believe this but my new ram with a 5.7l hemi only had 1800 miles on it when I pulled it out and replaced every single bearing with bearing that were hand fitted to each journal. .002" on each main and .0025 on each rod. I also modified the cam shaft so each lobe receives pressurized oil lubrication. The factory tolerance on the bearings is anywhere from .0007" to .0055". I used babbitt bearings and I think the factory ones were aluminum but I can't swear to that.

Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928647 10/03/23 04:36 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
I'll just stick with my 5.0.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: Jimbo1] #8928650 10/03/23 04:42 PM
bigbob_ftw Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Online Content
Big Sprocket Bob
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
I'll just stick with my 5.0.

yep. 106k miles and zero issues so far.

[Linked Image]

Ultra MAGA '24.
Re: For you Ford Fans... [Re: The Dude Abides] #8928658 10/03/23 05:03 PM
203 CHAMP Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Cam phasers twice and new transmission on my 2019 ford f150. V6 ecoboost.only 85,000 miles. tranny went out at 62,000. I have been driving ford trucks for almost 30 years. Might be my last. Should have stuck to my 2013 f150 with the 5.0 engine.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide