Print Thread
Worming Deer #8924244 09/26/23 04:29 PM
K
kphilli66 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
K
Question, can you worm deer like you do with sheep and goats, and would you use the same pelleted wormer for deer. Do any of you put pelleted wormer in with your feed for the deer?

Re: Worming Deer [Re: kphilli66] #8924302 09/26/23 05:56 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Originally Posted by kphilli66
Question, can you worm deer like you do with sheep and goats, and would you use the same pelleted wormer for deer. Do any of you put pelleted wormer in with your feed for the deer?

Yes, you can. Early in the year, we had a favorable amount of rain at my lease. As the summer heated up, the pasture began to burn off and the longer the heat persisted, the less pasture there was to feed deer. I filled my protein feeders with 16% goat feed and have fed over 1200 lbs. so far this year and it has rained a bit here lately, so there is a little bit of feed in the pastures now. I have seen over 20 different bucks at my protein feeder since mid summer and quite a few are regulars. I was having trouble with the hogs when I was running corn through my timed feeders. Since I have been feeding protein exclusively, I have seen pigs 2 times. The pigs can't get to the protein and with no corn appearing on the outside of the feed pen, they are not hitting my feeder regularly. The deer show up at all hours night and day to feed on the protein and any time it cools off a bit, they are there. I had bucks at noon on a day when it was 97 degrees back when it was regularly over 100 in the middle of the summer. Filling the feeder with protein is much more conducive to sitting all day and hunting than feeding corn early and late and hoping the deer show up. I may switch to corn, but I have been seriously thinking about staying with the protein and not messing with the corn feeders. I have thousands of pictures of bucks, with fewer pictures of does and like I said the bucks are pretty much regulars. I will be filling up the protein feeders again this weekend and before too much longer, I will have to decide corn or protein or both. I have been really pleased with the frequency of seeing does and bucks at the protein. 16 % goat is about $6-$8.00 cheaper/bag than the high priced deer feed and they have been eating it up.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Worming Deer [Re: kphilli66] #8924642 09/27/23 02:07 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I remember tlk on here put it in feed(protein pellets I assume.) He got ticked off recently on here so he may be on a sabbatical, or worse, and may not respond so I will in his stead

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide