Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. #8923604 09/25/23 03:05 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Input on the easiest way to do it is much appreciated!!

Going to put up 10 panels, they are 16' long each, so this is my train of thought, please chime in on better ways to do it.

Each panel 16' long X 10 equals 160' - 6" per panel overlap = 60"/5' - 160' = 155' circumference for the round pen.

Diameter of 155' circumference is 49'.3" ÷ 2 to get the radius or center of the circle would be '24.65".

So I guess the obvious is to determine where I want the center of the pen to be, drive a steak there then come out basically '24.5" and start driving T Post.

Does this sound right or am I missing something?

Appreciate any and all help getting this done right.

BTW I have 21 T Post, using three on the first panel, then two on each panel after, that way there is on on each end and one in the middle.

[Linked Image]

16’x34″
.225″ Rod Diameter
4 Gauge Rod
34 lbs.

Last edited by Stub; 09/25/23 03:31 PM.

texas flag

“I never forget a face—but in your case, I’ll be glad to make an exception.”
—Groucho Marx

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923610 09/25/23 03:14 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
You seem to have that very well planned out. I can not say I was as precise when building mine....

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923627 09/25/23 03:46 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Stand them up and zip tie together, then run your t-posts.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923648 09/25/23 04:26 PM
J
JP4065 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Put a stake in the center of where you want the pen, tie a string to the stake at 24.5' long. Use it to set your posts in a circle. I use three posts per panel.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Jimbo1] #8923656 09/25/23 04:37 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Jimbo1

bing, bing, bing

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923662 09/25/23 04:45 PM
A
aggiehunter03 Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
A
Overlap the panels a foot or 2' if you don't want the hogs to find a way to push in eventually.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923717 09/25/23 05:52 PM
H
Hunter Daddy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I would overlap the panels about a foot and wire up five panels all layed down flat on the ground . You and you buddy can now begin to raise the panels up to form a half circle. These panels will stand up by themselves provided you have a T-post on the first panel. Now start adding the rest of the panels until you have all of them in a circle (your buddy will have to hold the last panel wired.) Now with all of them up, you can start putting in the rest of your T-posts. Before you start adding the T-posts, you can shift the pen over to your exact location by just pulling on the panels.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923768 09/25/23 07:14 PM
M
mr. buck Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
M
can i make a strong recommendation not to build a circular pen, especially if you have cattle on the place as its really tough to run barbed wire strand around a circular pen as the panels are bowed to form a circle yet the wire goes from t post to t post in a straight line so doesn't follow circumference of the pen. Id build a dodecagon and just lay the panels on the ground with the bottoms touching in the shape you want to build. In not sure a big overlap is necessary so long as you wire the panels to the t post in 4 or so places. We've done this shape as well as circular pens and there is no comparision IMHO...

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Jimbo1] #8923816 09/25/23 08:30 PM
S
Stompy Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

This is the way I do it also.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: mr. buck] #8923821 09/25/23 08:32 PM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S

^^^^^
How does one person get them to stand up?

Originally Posted by mr. buck
can i make a strong recommendation not to build a circular pen, especially if you have cattle on the place as its really tough to run barbed wire strand around a circular pen as the panels are bowed to form a circle yet the wire goes from t post to t post in a straight line so doesn't follow circumference of the pen. Id build a dodecagon and just lay the panels on the ground with the bottoms touching in the shape you want to build. In not sure a big overlap is necessary so long as you wire the panels to the t post in 4 or so places. We've done this shape as well as circular pens and there is no comparision IMHO...

^^^^^
No cattle on the place and I have thought about that layout before (dodecagon) would be a little easier not sure how you would get the panels to lap over though?
Bet the deer would not be deterred by it.

Last edited by Stub; 09/25/23 08:32 PM.

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923845 09/25/23 09:10 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Lay them on the ground in a circular pattern so that they overlap on the bottom one column. Drop a T post on the ground in the middle of each panel and one at the junction of where two panels will overlap. Precut bailing wire into 12" pieces. (do the math for qty). Drive a middle post. Stand up panel, wire it to post top, middle and bottom. Go to the end of the panel, drive a post inside leaving one column of the panel beyond the post. Stand up the next panel, bring it to meet the other and wire each end to the post so that one column for each panel overlaps. Repeat, repeat, repeat...........No barbed wire needed.

Everybody has their way, most of those mentioned above will work as well.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923847 09/25/23 09:13 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Stub

^^^^^

^^^^^
No cattle on the place and I have thought about that layout before (dodecagon) would be a little easier not sure how you would get the panels to lap over though?

Actually, it's easier if you set the first t-post, then tie the first 2 together on that post and go from there tying up the rest. I've done the last 4 pens alone.

Last edited by Jimbo1; 09/25/23 09:15 PM.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Jimbo1] #8923871 09/25/23 09:45 PM
J
JP4065 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
J
Originally Posted by Stub

^^^^^

^^^^^

Actually, it's easier if you set the first t-post, then tie the first 2 together on that post and go from there tying up the rest. I've done the last 4 pens alone.

That is how I do it, but use a string to keep the circle. I also have done all my pens by myself this way. I have one panel that I keep "temporary" wired, so I can drive my buggy inside the pen to fill feeders.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8923947 09/26/23 12:52 AM
R
Russ79 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
Don't over think it- The feeder pen police are not going to come in and grade it to make sure it is perfectly round or if your feeder is in the center perfectly. Lay your 10 panels in a rough circle, put one post in the ground at the center of one panel and stand the panel up and tie to the post. Go down to your next panel, stand it up and overlap a couple of squares, and tie together- they will hold themselves up long enough to go to the third panel and repeat. Start curving into a circle and repeat until you have them all tied together into a circle. Before you put any more posts in place you can move it around until you have it like you want it then drive all your posts in- one at each overlap and one in each panel's center. Instead of using wire I will suggest using stainless steel tie wraps- they aren't that expensive and you can order off Amazon and I think I also saw them at Harbor Freight

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Hudbone] #8924031 09/26/23 03:49 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by Hudbone

bing, bing, bing

This is how we did it worked well and you can do it by yourself if need be. Ours don’t overlap at all over 5 years and the only hogs in are the ones small enough to get through the pan el holes.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8924045 09/26/23 06:06 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
I did this on one panel so I could drive in it if needed and not have to cut wire.

[Linked Image]

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: ntxtrapper] #8924215 09/26/23 03:57 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
I did this on one panel so I could drive in it if needed and not have to cut wire.

[Linked Image]

So you have to unscrew four pipe clamps to get in? Why not just use three wires (top, middle, bottom) and hand-twist them, leaving the ends long enough to untwist without having to cut or use pliers?

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8924243 09/26/23 04:27 PM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks

[Linked Image]

So you have to unscrew four pipe clamps to get in? Why not just use three wires (top, middle, bottom) and hand-twist them, leaving the ends long enough to untwist without having to cut or use pliers?

Because they would not be as strong and ultimately wear out from metal fatigue. Cordless drill and this opens in about 30 seconds.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: ntxtrapper] #8924358 09/26/23 07:35 PM
Z
ZK-315 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
Z

[Linked Image]

Because they would not be as strong and ultimately wear out from metal fatigue. Cordless drill and this opens in about 30 seconds.

I've had a pen up at my place for roughly 8 years and use wire at the top and bottom and think I've only had to replace the wire once.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: ZK-315] #8924567 09/27/23 01:05 AM
N
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by ZK-315

[Linked Image]

I've had a pen up at my place for roughly 8 years and use wire at the top and bottom and think I've only had to replace the wire once.

That's once more than I want to.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8924597 09/27/23 01:30 AM
B
Brother in-law Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
The oval is your friend, two on each end and 3 on the straights

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8924661 09/27/23 02:37 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Ntxtrapper, that’s great if that works for you, but with all due respect, I would NEVER do those clamp things.
Like others have said, I use a wire at top and bottom that’s long enough to grab easy and twist it 3 times. I actually use what I guess is electrical wire. It’s got a 14 on it so I guess that’s the gauge. It’s limber enough to twist but stiff enough to stay. I use that stuff for everything. Discovering that wire was one of my better finds and I wont go anywhere without that and duct tape.
Also, on the stainless zip ties-I don’t remember the cost but I thought they were way too costly. We have 11 pens with 13 panels each so that’s a lotta zip ties.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8924769 09/27/23 11:13 AM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Electric fence wire is great for building pens.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Stub] #8925365 09/28/23 11:05 AM
R
rtarchery Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
R
Yep, the electric fece wire is what I use.

Re: How to Build a Round Feeder Pen using Hog Panels. [Re: Brother in-law] #8925928 09/29/23 10:02 AM
S
Stub Online Happy OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Happy
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by soooo
Electric fence wire is great for building pens.

Is that because they are coated and will not rust, or just easier to handle?

Originally Posted by Brother in-law
The oval is your friend, two on each end and 3 on the straights

Why Oval vs Round?

texas flag

—Groucho Marx

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide