Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886343 07/21/23 11:03 AM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
" I would much rather have a guy shooting and killing with a crossbow than ... shooting and wounding with a vertical bow"

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886350 07/21/23 11:21 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
The other thing is, you don't just nonchalantly head to the woods with a crossbow unless you really want or need to hunt with a CB. Ever carried one through the woods? There is no more awkward piece of hunting kit in the woods. Bulky, sometimes heavy, and generally not that easy to carry. I know they're making smaller form factor CBs all the time, but lazy hunters aren't hunting with CBs, IMHO. There are no CB Armies in the woods.

That, and IIRC, CBs have made NO appreciable impact to deer populations since allowed during the archery seasons in any state. States tested with experimental CB seasons and saw virtually no change. That's why we still have them.

Agree it's a slippery slope and we all need to stick together.

[Linked Image]
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886386 07/21/23 12:39 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Vehicles seem to be killing the most deer without population impact

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886417 07/21/23 01:15 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

During general season, sure, by all means go for it. I’ll even support it and I do think they are a great weapon for kids to use. I feel the same about modern inline muzzle loaders with scope being allowed during muzzleloader season…some of these guns are shooting a sabot bullet 2700-2800 fps. You are using a single shot centerfire rifle for all intents and purposes at that point.

I’m not a fan of archery season. You want to archery hunt for a challenge or to feel better than someone else great go for it and do it during general season. Only thing I ever liked about archery season was that it was more time.

I hunt with a crossbow now because my original compound was needing more work than it was worth and when I went to replace it I found my 8 year old 5 year old and wife could all shoot the crossbow so that’s the way I went. I do miss not having a verticals bow but my time is limited anyway.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886446 07/21/23 02:10 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Just to stir the pot, crossbows have been around for hundreds of years. Richard the Lionheart was killed by a crossbow in France. In my mind a crossbow is more in keeping with the tradition of archery than a modern compound bow is.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Los Fresnos High School
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8886447 07/21/23 02:12 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
In my mind a crossbow is more in keeping with the tradition of archery than a modern compound bow.

This is true.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: kry226] #8886453 07/21/23 02:20 PM
H
Hizenbay Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
H
Kry, you are so right. I hunt with a Raven and am usually surrounded by guys shooting compounds. The hump in and hump out with the CB is tougher,, not to mention the climb up a tripod, etc. Not complaining, just backing up Kry's point that if you are out there with a CB, its by choice.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8886480 07/21/23 02:43 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
Just to stir the pot, crossbows have been around for hundreds of years. Richard the Lionheart was killed by a crossbow in France. In my mind a crossbow is more in keeping with the tradition of archery than a modern compound bow is.

Can’t argue that. Of course we are talking recurve style crossbows, not the modern ones with pulleys and wheels.

A crossbow is not a new invention by any stretch

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886486 07/21/23 02:51 PM
W
Wytex Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
W
Folks complained up here when they made them legal and guess what, I haven't seen one up in the forest yet.
I do own one, a recurve limb CB and have hunted with it 1 time, sat a blind at the ranch for a WT doe, no shot.
I would rather use my longbow with it's limitations than the CB but it is fun to shoot.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886508 07/21/23 03:14 PM
D
Double AC Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I know I have an old clunky entry level crossbow that I was given when my dad was getting into archery. I was still young enough into hunting that working on rifle shooting mechanics was a pretty big focus on its own and more of those crossed over into a cross bow than traditional archery equipment. It was a way to practice similar mechanics while keeping things interesting and fresh for a young hunter without trying to get me to learn a ton of different things all at once and creating burnout by not being good at any of them.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886518 07/21/23 03:29 PM
kmon11 Offline
junior
junior
I missed the 2 years before the crossbow became legal in Texas for those without an upper limb disability due to frozen shoulders, I was still having issues with one so I bought a crossbow and hunted. Since then I have hunted with the crossbow, compound and recurve, mostly depends on the stand I will be hunting that day. I will not shoot a deer further with the crosbow than I will with the compound even though I have killed pigs at 70+ yard with the crossbow but they react differently to noise than deer do.

When I tarted bow hunting I lived in Mississippi and it gave an extra month and a half hunting and added the ability to kill 2 does in addition to the buck you were allowed in gun season when no does were legal.

Moved to Texas and didn't bow hunt much for years, Lease I got, getting my 4 deer was easy in rifle season and unlike Mississippi at the time did not increase the number you could kill, just would have more time to hunt.

lf the saying "Liar, Liar your pants on fire" were true
Mainstream news might be fun to watch
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886522 07/21/23 03:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
I think I've seen 2 people in 20 years on public land with cross bows, both past 70 years old, neither got more the 50 yards beyond the road, both hunting elk.

No way I’m carrying around that much weight. More power to you if you do.

I think the option is are great for everyone, as it allows extended seasons, and more opportunity from young to old.

Now as far as Texas on Public land, I do see a need for specific(general) weapons seasons as its an opportunity provider do to lower success rate. On private, If you have to stop killing deer at the xy number then it doesnt matter. Just one any weapon season from Oct-Feb season is good with me, be better if everyone was MLD but I get why some say no, and dont think anyone should be forced.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Texas Dan] #8886531 07/21/23 03:55 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta
There should be just deer season, no room for supremacist

Don't blame hunters, blame the equipment manufacturers and state wildlife agencies who saw separate seasons as a way to generate more revenue. I can remember when you had to pay an extra license fee to hunt during bow season.

And you seriously teach hunters education? SMDH.

"Archery Endorsement

Required for the following:
•Hunt game animals during an Archery-Only open season
•Hunt deer at any time in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, or Rockwall counties

Archery Hunting Endorsement Texas resident and non-resident 135 $7"

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8886573 07/21/23 05:35 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
I think I've seen 2 people in 20 years on public land with cross bows, both past 70 years old, neither got more the 50 yards beyond the road, both hunting elk.

I think the option is are great for everyone, as it allows extended seasons, and more opportunity from young to old.

Now as far as Texas on Public land, I do see a need for specific(general) weapons seasons as its an opportunity provider do to lower success rate. On private, If you have to stop killing deer at the xy number then it doesnt matter. Just one any weapon season from Oct-Feb season is good with me, be better if everyone was MLD but I get why some say no, and dont think anyone should be forced.

Now that I think about it, MLD has kinda made it a moot point for deer season

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: ntxtrapper] #8886588 07/21/23 06:02 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper
Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta
There should be just deer season, no room for supremacist

Don't blame hunters, blame the equipment manufacturers and state wildlife agencies who saw separate seasons as a way to generate more revenue. I can remember when you had to pay an extra license fee to hunt during bow season.

And you seriously teach hunters education? SMDH.

"Archery Endorsement

Required for the following:
•Hunt game animals during an Archery-Only open season
•Hunt deer at any time in Collin, Dallas, Grayson, or Rockwall counties

Archery Hunting Endorsement Texas resident and non-resident 135 $7"

I've bought a Super Combo license for so long I've lost track of what separate licenses fees and endorsements now exist. Besides, nothing can put a class to sleep any faster than reading a lot of rules and regulations they can and should read for themselves. I simply tell them it's "their" responsibility to learn what regulations and restrictions apply to the game they're after. In other words, don't expect the store clerk where they bought their license, TPWD officers, fellow hunters (including those on some online forum), or a Hunter Education instructor to tell them everything they need to know before they head to the woods.

You would be surprised how many times I've had people complain about the store clerk selling them a license without mentioning the need to take Hunter Education.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/21/23 06:09 PM.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886611 07/21/23 06:42 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

Now that I think about it, MLD has kinda made it a moot point for deer season

If you think about it, all seasons are built on a sustainability model in terms of hunter success %.

Why NM went back to unscoped Muzzle loaders, Success rate was to high and they where about to have to cut tags, so instead of cutting tags they removed the ability of using scopes. This allowed them to instead of cutting tags they could in crease increase tags numbers.

Texas its really irrelevant because A) At or over Carrying capacity in majority of the Whitetail inhabited state and majority of hunting/management is done on Private.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886678 07/21/23 08:59 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

Just curious as to what your option of an upper limb disability is.

I used my compound after my first Orthoscopic rotator cuff repair. I did lots of physical therapy and shot several times a week for months to get back up to 60# draw weight. Anything above that weight and there would be an audible pop that hurt like heck and alerted the deer to my location.
When my right bicep tendon started to tear off of the shoulder attachment points and the rotator cuff had progressed to where I couldn't sleep on my right side, had to get a zipper put in my shoulder. The surgeon repaired what he could of the cuff and relocated the bicep tendons (long and short head) down my humorous about 1" from the head of the bone. I asked when I could start weights and he told me those days are over. I asked about shooting a bow and he just shook his head.
This year I may have to go to a hand crank to be able to use the crossbow as at 67 years of age, pulling the rope pully is getting painful and I don't want the replacement shoulder joint he said was coming next.

I would say you would certainly qualify. I have no issues with a person such as yourself using a X-bow during archery season.

What I’m against is a Person who has never shot a bow, picking up a crossbow and going into the woods during archery season and hunting. We hunted in Argentina with two guys using a crossbow. One had been in a hunting accident as a youth and I don’t believe could draw a bow. The other guy was just not willing to put the time in. Shot a Raven crossbow that shot a bolt 400+fps and had a scope. 60 yard shots were nothing. Now here we are on a “ archery only” hunt but he had a definite advantage over the vertical bow guys, which went against the original archery only purpose to begin with. He might as well shot a suppressed rifle, it would have accomplished the same thing.

In Texas it’s not as big a concern but in other states with long archery season and limited Quota and more competition by hunters for game, it certainly is a concern as archers are having to share a special weapon season with folks who want a shortcut.

First I could care less about your "issues". Second a crossbow really doesn't extend range that much, is heavier than my old compound, not as handy to carry. In fact the only real advantage I see with my crossbow is I can be more effective hunting from a ground blind as I don't have to pull it back just before I shoot. It was also easier to get my grandson into archery hunting using that crossbow. What I feel you are saying is that you want fewer hunters in the field and because you don't want to use a crossbow you don't want anyone else to. Or possibly you are just trying to virtue signal somehow.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Old Rabbit] #8886685 07/21/23 09:24 PM
Geedubya Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
I use one because of two surgeries on my right shoulder that didn't completely fix the rotator cuff problems. I do miss using my compound bow as it was way quieter and I miss the chance on multiple shots on piglets after the sow goes down.

I'm in this category.

At 72, my parts are wearing out. I can no longer draw a bow due to shoulder/rotator cuff deterioration, among other ailments.

If deer hunting in Archery Season, a crossbow it is.

Ya!

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw Blood
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886690 07/21/23 09:40 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was under the impression those within the bow hunting community had found peace with one another.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: rickt300] #8886699 07/21/23 10:04 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by rickt300

Just curious as to what your option of an upper limb disability is.

I used my compound after my first Orthoscopic rotator cuff repair. I did lots of physical therapy and shot several times a week for months to get back up to 60# draw weight. Anything above that weight and there would be an audible pop that hurt like heck and alerted the deer to my location.
When my right bicep tendon started to tear off of the shoulder attachment points and the rotator cuff had progressed to where I couldn't sleep on my right side, had to get a zipper put in my shoulder. The surgeon repaired what he could of the cuff and relocated the bicep tendons (long and short head) down my humorous about 1" from the head of the bone. I asked when I could start weights and he told me those days are over. I asked about shooting a bow and he just shook his head.
This year I may have to go to a hand crank to be able to use the crossbow as at 67 years of age, pulling the rope pully is getting painful and I don't want the replacement shoulder joint he said was coming next.

I would say you would certainly qualify. I have no issues with a person such as yourself using a X-bow during archery season.

What I’m against is a Person who has never shot a bow, picking up a crossbow and going into the woods during archery season and hunting. We hunted in Argentina with two guys using a crossbow. One had been in a hunting accident as a youth and I don’t believe could draw a bow. The other guy was just not willing to put the time in. Shot a Raven crossbow that shot a bolt 400+fps and had a scope. 60 yard shots were nothing. Now here we are on a “ archery only” hunt but he had a definite advantage over the vertical bow guys, which went against the original archery only purpose to begin with. He might as well shot a suppressed rifle, it would have accomplished the same thing.

In Texas it’s not as big a concern but in other states with long archery season and limited Quota and more competition by hunters for game, it certainly is a concern as archers are having to share a special weapon season with folks who want a shortcut.

First I could care less about your "issues". Second a crossbow really doesn't extend range that much, is heavier than my old compound, not as handy to carry. In fact the only real advantage I see with my crossbow is I can be more effective hunting from a ground blind as I don't have to pull it back just before I shoot. It was also easier to get my grandson into archery hunting using that crossbow. What I feel you are saying is that you want fewer hunters in the field and because you don't want to use a crossbow you don't want anyone else to. Or possibly you are just trying to virtue signal somehow.

Well I’m sorry sir, I didn’t know that I asked about how you felt about my opinions on the subject.

The point I was discussing is how crossbows with optics fits into an archery season in terms of advantages over vertical bows. I also stated that they are great for introducing new/young hunters into the sport.

Also, you may want to look up the definition of virtue signaling before you regurgitate it so flippantly.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Texas Dan] #8886700 07/21/23 10:05 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I was under the impression those within the bow hunting community had found peace with one another.

Ha! Archers are some of the most divisive of all the hunting groups.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886772 07/21/23 11:58 PM
Sniper John Online Happy
gumshoe
Online Happy
gumshoe

Ha! Archers are some of the most divisive of all the hunting groups.

I was a member of an archery club when compounds were still a new thing. Many of the members were hunters. The traditional hunters were just as divisive to the compound hunters during that change as the compound hunters were with the new crossbow hunters in recent years. We just did not have the internet back then for all the talk to be public.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886776 07/22/23 12:03 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
I wouldn't be hunting any archery if not for x-bow, just never had an interest honestly. I like x-bows and will continue to use one until the rules change if ever.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886777 07/22/23 12:03 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
For a hot moment, I thought we may be treading on HF vs LF territory with TxTrophy's perspective. Lol

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886787 07/22/23 12:22 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
For a hot moment, I thought we may be treading on HF vs LF territory with TxTrophy's perspective. Lol

Haha!

I don’t think crossbows are bad. I don’t think people who use crossbows are bad, are less of a hunter than bow hunters, or anything like that.

I do question if they should be allowed to participate ( for able bodied hunters) in the same archery seasons as vertical bows given the equipment most wear ( namely magnified scopes) that offer a large advantage over even the most advanced vertical bow.

They have a lot of good points to them, as I’ve previously stated.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide