https://www.bowhuntingmag.com/editorial/crossbows-new-face-bowhunting/478432

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8885933 07/20/23 04:40 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
They are so loud they are not the best archery option for Texas deer.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8885947 07/20/23 05:05 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
O
I use one because of two surgeries on my right shoulder that didn't completely fix the rotator cuff problems. I do miss using my compound bow as it was way quieter and I miss the chance on multiple shots on piglets after the sow goes down.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886026 07/20/23 07:13 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I’m with Old Rabbit. Surgery on both shoulders has relegated me to the crossbow ranks. That stat could possibly be tied to the overall aging hunter population.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886031 07/20/23 07:25 PM
syncerus Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
Another shoulder surgery recipient.

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Adchunts] #8886039 07/20/23 07:45 PM
Truman Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
Originally Posted by Adchunts
I’m with Old Rabbit. Surgery on both shoulders has relegated me to the crossbow ranks. That stat could possibly be tied to the overall aging hunter population.

THIS

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Truman] #8886045 07/20/23 07:55 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Originally Posted by Truman
Originally Posted by Adchunts

THIS

Going to buy my first one this year.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886047 07/20/23 07:59 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Transparently, I've had a crossbow for over 15 years which complemented my compound bow nicely. Two elbow surgeries since have probably pushed me to the CB permanently now.

I also agree the increase is likely a product of the rising hunter average age.

[Linked Image]
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886086 07/20/23 08:49 PM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Here we go with the STUPID supremacy?

Use a sharp stick or a rock or you just ain’t a hunter chicken

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886170 07/20/23 10:50 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

During general season, sure, by all means go for it. I’ll even support it and I do think they are a great weapon for kids to use. I feel the same about modern inline muzzle loaders with scope being allowed during muzzleloader season…some of these guns are shooting a sabot bullet 2700-2800 fps. You are using a single shot centerfire rifle for all intents and purposes at that point.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886188 07/20/23 11:14 PM
O
Old Rabbit Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
O
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Im not a fan of crossbows during archery season unless a person has an upper limb disability that prevents them from drawing a compound bow. The weapon has a rifle stock and in most cases an optic…it goes against what archery seasons were originally created for.

Just curious as to what your option of an upper limb disability is.

I used my compound after my first Orthoscopic rotator cuff repair. I did lots of physical therapy and shot several times a week for months to get back up to 60# draw weight. Anything above that weight and there would be an audible pop that hurt like heck and alerted the deer to my location.
When my right bicep tendon started to tear off of the shoulder attachment points and the rotator cuff had progressed to where I couldn't sleep on my right side, had to get a zipper put in my shoulder. The surgeon repaired what he could of the cuff and relocated the bicep tendons (long and short head) down my humorous about 1" from the head of the bone. I asked when I could start weights and he told me those days are over. I asked about shooting a bow and he just shook his head.
This year I may have to go to a hand crank to be able to use the crossbow as at 67 years of age, pulling the rope pully is getting painful and I don't want the replacement shoulder joint he said was coming next.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Old Rabbit] #8886199 07/20/23 11:33 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Old Rabbit

Just curious as to what your option of an upper limb disability is.

I used my compound after my first Orthoscopic rotator cuff repair. I did lots of physical therapy and shot several times a week for months to get back up to 60# draw weight. Anything above that weight and there would be an audible pop that hurt like heck and alerted the deer to my location.
When my right bicep tendon started to tear off of the shoulder attachment points and the rotator cuff had progressed to where I couldn't sleep on my right side, had to get a zipper put in my shoulder. The surgeon repaired what he could of the cuff and relocated the bicep tendons (long and short head) down my humorous about 1" from the head of the bone. I asked when I could start weights and he told me those days are over. I asked about shooting a bow and he just shook his head.
This year I may have to go to a hand crank to be able to use the crossbow as at 67 years of age, pulling the rope pully is getting painful and I don't want the replacement shoulder joint he said was coming next.

I would say you would certainly qualify. I have no issues with a person such as yourself using a X-bow during archery season.

What I’m against is a Person who has never shot a bow, picking up a crossbow and going into the woods during archery season and hunting. We hunted in Argentina with two guys using a crossbow. One had been in a hunting accident as a youth and I don’t believe could draw a bow. The other guy was just not willing to put the time in. Shot a Raven crossbow that shot a bolt 400+fps and had a scope. 60 yard shots were nothing. Now here we are on a “ archery only” hunt but he had a definite advantage over the vertical bow guys, which went against the original archery only purpose to begin with. He might as well shot a suppressed rifle, it would have accomplished the same thing.

In Texas it’s not as big a concern but in other states with long archery season and limited Quota and more competition by hunters for game, it certainly is a concern as archers are having to share a special weapon season with folks who want a shortcut.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886206 07/20/23 11:43 PM
P
pigplinker Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
P
popcorn

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886210 07/20/23 11:51 PM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Never got the desire to hunt with a bow but was glad to see crossbows become legal for anyone who wanted to give them a try.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886213 07/20/23 11:56 PM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
I do not have any disabilities and can use a vertical bow just fine. I prefer to hunt with my crossbow. It just makes sense the way I hunt. I have not picked up a vertical bow in the last 10 years.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886218 07/21/23 12:02 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
There should be just deer season, no room for supremacist

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: txtrophy85] #8886219 07/21/23 12:02 AM
E
Erny Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E

During general season, sure, by all means go for it. I’ll even support it and I do think they are a great weapon for kids to use. I feel the same about modern inline muzzle loaders with scope being allowed during muzzleloader season…some of these guns are shooting a sabot bullet 2700-2800 fps. You are using a single shot centerfire rifle for all intents and purposes at that point.

I am not a fan of compound bows during archery season. It goes against what archery season was originally created for!!!! Not to mention metal broadheads, sights, releases, range finders, etc. they need to make archery season where you can only use homemade traditional bows made from local trees and you will have to knapp your own flint arrow heads!!!!

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886221 07/21/23 12:02 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
Yep

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Erny] #8886252 07/21/23 01:07 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Erny

I am not a fan of compound bows during archery season. It goes against what archery season was originally created for!!!! Not to mention metal broadheads, sights, releases, range finders, etc. they need to make archery season where you can only use homemade traditional bows made from local trees and you will have to knapp your own flint arrow heads!!!!

Archery seasons are a relatively new thing. Wisconsin had the first archery season in 1934. It wasn’t legal in many states until the 50’s and 60’s. Recurve bows and metal broadheads had been around for quite some time at that point.

What you’re describing is called primitive archery which uses self bows and flint knapped tips.

My issue with crossbows stem more from the optics that most wear. I wouldn’t really have an issue with them if they would outlaw the optics and make it sight pin only during archery season. Cross bows have been around a long, long time. They are not a new invention. The optics are.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886258 07/21/23 01:32 AM
sig226fan (Rguns.com) Offline
duck & cover
duck & cover
"If you don't hunt the way I hunt, then you are wrong"......... slippery slope. Heard a Baptist say beer and wine was ok, but hard liquor was a sin......... Bait/no bait; high fence/low fence/no fence...

Hunters need to stick together.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: sig226fan (Rguns.com)] #8886274 07/21/23 02:15 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by sig226fan (Rguns.com)
"If you don't hunt the way I hunt, then you are wrong"......... slippery slope. Heard a Baptist say beer and wine was ok, but hard liquor was a sin......... Bait/no bait; high fence/low fence/no fence...

Hunters need to stick together.

Agree for the most part.

They could just issue tags and it be for any weapon. I would still bow hunt and wouldn’t be an issue for anyone.

The rub ( for me at least ) is when someone is trying to gain a great advantage during a special, not general season. However, the states are allowing it and crossbows are becoming more common place as states are opening up archery seasons to them that were previously closed. And they are great at getting and keeping hunters in the game, no doubt about it.

Its a common topic in archery circles; compound guys don’t like crossbow guys, recurve and longbow guys think a compound is cheating and guys using self bows are in a league all their own ( deservedly so).

It’s almost a parallel to what happened with Muzzleloader seasons…originally, before in lines were invented, guys shot Hawken and Kentucky flintlocks. Then they came out with inlines, then pyrodex, then sabot bullets, then scopes, before you know it in-lines were just as effective as a centerfire rifle and the guys still using period era weapons are like “hey, what the hell?”

I don’t think that crossbow hunters are “wrong” I just question the weapons use in certain seasons by the general public. That said, I’ve encouraged guys to take advantage of new ways of hunting and recommended crossbows to several. I would much rather have a guy shooting and killing with a crossbow than not practicing, shooting and wounding with a vertical bow

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Treinta-Treinta] #8886285 07/21/23 02:40 AM
T
Texas Dan Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta

Don't blame hunters, blame the equipment manufacturers and state wildlife agencies who saw separate seasons as a way to generate more revenue. I can remember when you had to pay an extra license fee to hunt during bow season.

"When the debate is lost, insults become the tool of the loser."
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: Texas Dan] #8886288 07/21/23 02:54 AM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Treinta-Treinta

Don't blame hunters, blame the equipment manufacturers and state wildlife agencies who saw separate seasons as a way to generate more revenue. I can remember when you had to pay an extra license fee to hunt during bow season.

You still have to have an archery endorsement on your Texas license.

Other states you are issued archery tags. Some are archery only some are for any weapon, but bound to certain seasons. For instance I buy an elk tag in Colorado. I can use the tag during any season. But if I use it during archery season and fail to fill it, I cannot come back during muzzle loader or general rifle.

Archery seasons were originally designed to give archers ( who have a lower chance of success) a little bit of a break by hunting unpressured animals before the general firearms season started.

I’m a few years shy of 40 and remember when archery was considered more of a novelty rather than a legitimate hunting method.

Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886289 07/21/23 02:58 AM
T
Treinta-Treinta Offline
Tracker
Tracker
T
I definitely stick to my guns and won’t begrudge a weapon devised before the 7th century BC.

A season should be a season, Rock or Laser

I’m of the mindset a true hunter will succeed regardless, so called “advantages” be darned.

Its why the whole method of take is something meatheads came up with.

Last edited by Treinta-Treinta; 07/21/23 03:01 AM.
Re: Crossbows Becoming the Norm [Re: DQ Kid] #8886318 07/21/23 04:35 AM
J
jrgocards Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
J
I switched to a crossbow years ago when i found that I didn't have the time (or chose not to) practice with my compound. I scrapped the compound a few years back when a sounder of hogs came in and i could only shoot one. Now I hog hunt during bow season and deer hunt in the mornings of deer season. Hog hunt in the evenings of deer season, but can still kill a deer with my A/R if I see one that I want to take.

IMO, the hard part about bow hunting is getting close enough for a shot - whether with a bow to crossbow.

JR

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide