unclebubba Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
U
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Originally Posted by colt45-90
Originally Posted by unclebubba
I used to have the same problem with my .243. I tried lots of different bullets and solved the problem by getting a .270.

yep, friend of mine has a game ranch south of Sonora, he has banned .243's, to many wounded animals

No offense to anyone, but I find this argument laughable at best. I've watched out landowner's son kill several big bodied, mature mule deer with his .243 and 95gr ballistic tips. One shot, in the right place, done deal. These sandhills bucks are way bigger than any whitetail in TX will ever be.

I also said this -
Originally Posted by unclebubba
If you are going to shoot a 243, you've got to hit the off switch IMO. i.e. high shoulder shot. Not saying that you can't kill deer with a .243. You have already proven that you can.

I know that .243 will kill deer. I have done it myself plenty of times. However, I always lacked a blood trail of any magnitude. Addressing the OP's issue of blood trail, I stand by my original statement of a 243 not being the best caliber if you are looking for a blood trail. Yes, you can lack a blood trail with other calibers too. I have had that happen as well, but IME, a 243 is more lacking in that area than a larger caliber bullet.

Last edited by unclebubba; 07/25/23 06:21 PM.

http://www.boatloan.com/michael-hunt/

Originally Posted by Nolanco
current federal policy is clearly irrational, scientifically insupportable and ridiculous.
Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: ljcoach20] #8888700 07/25/23 06:55 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I’ve never had the desire to own and hunt with a 243, but I have no doubt that will do the job on deer. Redchevy’s advice on the Partition was the answer if you want an exit and blood trail. Personally, I’d use the Nosler Ballistic Tip (assuming you can find any). As I mentioned earlier, the 100 gr Ballistic Tip in my 260 gave a great blood trail when I do a heart/lung shot. So a similar weight BT in the 243 should work just fine.

I will say that a couple of years ago I used that 100 gr BT on a doe at about 80 yards and saw not a drop of blood. With the logic that every deer I ever shot in the heart/lung area died rather quickly, I walked into the woods and found the doe easily. Entry and exit. She ran a short ways before losing a lot of blood.

Another doe, at maybe 60 yards, and using that same bullet, when the bullet struck there was a big visible spray of blood out the exit side. The pink mist.

That caliber will do just fine on deer if used by a veteran hunter. Neophytes and bad shots might need more gun. In the 80’s I took a lot of guys hunting in south Texas, and got to observe many shooters. The bad news is that most of them weren’t very good. I expect that you forum guys and gals will be higher level shots. I would never starve if all I had was a 243.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: ljcoach20] #8888737 07/25/23 07:42 PM
C
Coastalquacker Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
i noticed the same lack of blood trails even when hitting vitals but we got the 243 for the kids. We had ballistic tips go through the heart of does and they run 100+ yards. Then, started using soft, lead tips 100grain and they don't run as far, most drop in their tracks including hogs at 200yds. They've killed a lot of deer, but tracking has provided a bit of anxiety and lots of prayers for finding them. Watch and note the last place you see the deer go into brush and go there after visiting the site of the shot.

Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: Coastalquacker] #8888762 07/25/23 08:22 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Coastalquacker
Watch and note the last place you see the deer go into brush and go there after visiting the site of the shot.

I have a friend who had been hunting for several years before he and I met. We were hunting one evening when I heard him shoot. When I got to his stand later that evening, I asked him the proverbial question, "Did you get him?" He replied, "No, it was a doe but it ran off." I then asked him if he had looked for her. He said no because he must have missed her. I told him we need to look anyway to see if he might have hit her. We found the doe after searching for less than two or three minutes. He later confided with me that he had no idea a deer could run off after being hit and that he didn't know how many deer he may have left in the woods. Apparently, whenever he shot and saw the deer run off, he would simply leave his stand and walk back to his truck.

When it comes to deer hunting, DRT is not a term that exists in my vocabulary, no matter the shot. And not finding any blood is never a reason not to spend a lot of time looking for the animal. As someone here once wrote, "If you haven't looked for at least an hour, you haven't looked at all."

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/25/23 08:38 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: Texas Dan] #8888904 07/26/23 12:31 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Originally Posted by Coastalquacker
Watch and note the last place you see the deer go into brush and go there after visiting the site of the shot.

I have a friend who had been hunting for several years before he and I met. We were hunting one evening when I heard him shoot. When I got to his stand later that evening, I asked him the proverbial question, "Did you get him?" He replied, "No, it was a doe but it ran off." I then asked him if he had looked for her. He said no because he must have missed her. I told him we need to look anyway to see if he might have hit her. We found the doe after searching for less than two or three minutes. He later confided with me that he had no idea a deer could run off after being hit and that he didn't know how many deer he may have left in the woods. Apparently, whenever he shot and saw the deer run off, he would simply leave his stand and walk back to his truck.

When it comes to deer hunting, DRT is not a term that exists in my vocabulary, no matter the shot. And not finding any blood is never a reason not to spend a lot of time looking for the animal. As someone here once wrote, "If you haven't looked for at least an hour, you haven't looked at all."

Thanks for the mini lesson flag burner Dan. You're friend is a freaking idiot.

Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: ljcoach20] #8889245 07/26/23 05:07 PM
P
Papalote Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
P
Dan.... Your friend must have been new to firearms and hunting. With a scoped rifle, a little concentration and a properly released trigger, the shooter can watch the bullet strike the deer st reasonable distances. Deer pitch, buck, stumble, tighten up or stagger when hit. This can be observed thru the scope if one concentrates on the target and not on jerking the trigger. I've witnessed hair, snot, bone, brains and the physical reaction of the deer when struck. Location before and after the shot, reaction are important as well.

Re: 243 ammo, blood trail ? [Re: Papalote] #8889320 07/26/23 07:07 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Papalote
Dan.... Your friend must have been new to firearms and hunting. With a scoped rifle, a little concentration and a properly released trigger, the shooter can watch the bullet strike the deer st reasonable distances. Deer pitch, buck, stumble, tighten up or stagger when hit. This can be observed thru the scope if one concentrates on the target and not on jerking the trigger. I've witnessed hair, snot, bone, brains and the physical reaction of the deer when struck. Location before and after the shot, reaction are important as well.

Yes, he's an older guy who has since retired and started deer hunting much later in life and without anyone to mentor him. It points to how adult newcomers to any sport are often ashamed to ask others some of the most basic questions. And out of respect for them as adults, we don't go bothering in their business about what they know or don't know.

I just happened to speak with him this morning as he was headed back from a fishing trip. He's a much more experienced fisherman and I suspect may have taken up deer hunting just to give it a try. Now he's hooked.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 07/26/23 07:53 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide