Forums46
Topics538,056
Posts9,732,520
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: J.G.] #8851174 05/12/23 02:49 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by J.G.
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
I think high fence plays only a minute part of the conservation model, if any at all.

Private landowners who spend time, money and effort to protect and promote wildlife and conservation efforts are at the forefront. This bleeds over into public lands as well.

Conservation isn’t a high fence/low fence debate.

This November will be 10 years I have owned my land.

TP&W had Fannin county only allowed to take one whitetail doe the Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Thanksgiving. In 2020 they increased that to two does, and gave us two weeks. North Fannin County is Post Oak Savanah, south Fannin County (where I am) is Black Land Prairie. North Fannin County holds more deer. And I know this because a friend of mine lived on property up there for 7 years. He had way higher numbers in his deer herd than I do. So, based on what I have always seen, I have never harvested a whitetail on my land. And as of today, that is still my policy. The highest number I have seen in a herd has been 8. Most of the time I see 2 to 4 deer on my land. I legally can take two does, but I am still choosing to let all of them pass by. But I kill every coyote and hog I see.

I think a major problem in my area is poaching.

or vast amounts of Coastal Bermuda. Change that field to Alfalfa

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851185 05/12/23 03:07 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Leopolds teachings from so long ago certainly do hold true for the most part. Things are different now and so its unlikely he would of been "right on".
Every month in TWA magazine theres an article with a Leopold quote. They apply it to today and expand on it. Havent seen one yet that was way off.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: freerange] #8851191 05/12/23 03:10 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by freerange
Leopolds teachings from so long ago certainly do hold true for the most part. Things are different now and so its unlikely he would of been "right on".
Every month in TWA magazine theres an article with a Leopold quote. They apply it to today and expand on it. Havent seen one yet that was way off.

he is a national treasure

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8851193 05/12/23 03:13 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

5 word posts..... I gotta learn to do that.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851200 05/12/23 03:19 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S
My friend, Doug Duren, who is a contributor with MeatEater and also runs SharingTheLand.com, ended up putting together that short doc on Aldo. Savage Arms produced it, and I think it's a great video, worth watching.

Here's the player link:

Doug and I discussed Aldo's work and much more on a podcast we did together, if y'all are interested...

Last edited by Son of a Blitch; 05/12/23 03:23 PM.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
www.YouTube.com/@sonofablitch
"Keep your aim as true as your word" - GB
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8851208 05/12/23 03:29 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Son of a Blitch
My friend, Doug Duren, who is a contributor with MeatEater and also runs SharingTheLand.com, ended up putting together that short doc on Aldo. Savage Arms produced it, and I think it's a great video, worth watching.

Here's the player link:

Doug and I discussed Aldo's work and much more on a podcast we did together, if y'all are interested...

im sure doug is a nice guy but I completely disagree with his CWD thoughts. Im a land owner that has CWD and haven’t seen any populational effects, nor has anyone that hasnt gone scorched earth

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8851230 05/12/23 04:00 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Here's the player link:

im sure doug is a nice guy but I completely disagree with his CWD thoughts. Im a land owner that has CWD and haven’t seen any populational effects, nor has anyone that hasnt gone scorched earth

I personally don't have any experience with CWD, so I can not speak to it. Would love to hear more about your perception and experience. Always wanting to learn more and hear other opinions and thoughts.

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Son of a Blitch] #8851240 05/12/23 04:09 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Here's the player link:

I personally don't have any experience with CWD, so I can not speak to it. Would love to hear more about your perception and experience. Always wanting to learn more and hear other opinions and thoughts.

this is not directed at doug in any way. Just observational

On every forum, people will tell you that they have found numbers of deer killed by CWD. Research how to test for CWD and what the time restraints and sampling conditions required are. Then use your general outdoor knowledge of how you would have to find these dead deer, sample them and then submit these tests in appropriate amount of time. Probably is very slim

but this for another thread, As AL would of look at it as most likely natural causes.

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: freerange] #8851243 05/12/23 04:21 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

But we won't consider you verbose if you employ capitalization at the beginning of a sentence and a period at the end. grin bolt

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Creekrunner] #8851253 05/12/23 04:39 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Creekrunner

But we won't consider you verbose if you employ capitalization at the beginning of a sentence and a period at the end. grin bolt

You are such a noticer. It was a test, you passed…..

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8851256 05/12/23 04:44 PM
S
Son of a Blitch Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
S

Here's the player link:

this is not directed at doug in any way. Just observational

On every forum, people will tell you that they have found numbers of deer killed by CWD. Research how to test for CWD and what the time restraints and sampling conditions required are. Then use your general outdoor knowledge of how you would have to find these dead deer, sample them and then submit these tests in appropriate amount of time. Probably is very slim

but this for another thread, As AL would of look at it as most likely natural causes.

up

George Blitch
george@mapmyranch.com
www.SonofaBlitch.com
www.MapMyRanch.com
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851258 05/12/23 04:45 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Very Machiavellian...to quote a man that drove me insane. flame

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Creekrunner] #8851266 05/12/23 04:52 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Very Machiavellian...to quote a man that drove me insane. flame

You lofted it over the plate, I just sent it back. LOL

I did just ordered my daughters another book to read. Second book this week.

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8851296 05/12/23 05:09 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
. . . .or vast amounts of Coastal Bermuda. Change that field to Alfalfa

Bermuda - pasture death for wildlife

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851297 05/12/23 05:10 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
especially for those that browse

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Hudbone] #8851306 05/12/23 05:28 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone
. . . .or vast amounts of Coastal Bermuda. Change that field to Alfalfa

Bermuda - pasture death for wildlife

Originally Posted by Hudbone
especially for those that browse

Bermuda helps pay the bills, whitetail do not and will not.

I have about 2 1/2 miles of browse as well.

But the whitetail love to graze the Bermuda grass rifle range. Since it gets mowed every 7-10 days.

I've also got all the surface water they can stand. But, I still have not seen an increase in whitetail numbers. Admittedly, I have not done much for them. But their numbers seem to be holding. I see then on my land, as well as neighbor's land.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8851307 05/12/23 05:29 PM
D
DonPablo Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
State owned and Federal are under to total different doctrine's. State owed land falls under state constitutional requirements to provide revenue to the state or state enity like school leases. AL would focus on Federal as its a true public use doctrine where as State isnt, its a revenue generator.

Regardless, my point is that it's common to manage private property for money rather than conservation. When the two coincide, Aldo's vision works great. Unfortunately, human nature is what it is. If the bottom ever dropped out of the whitetail market, I think it would potentially reverse the decades of progress we've made in Texas.

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: DonPablo] #8851314 05/12/23 05:35 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by DonPablo
State owned and Federal are under to total different doctrine's. State owed land falls under state constitutional requirements to provide revenue to the state or state enity like school leases. AL would focus on Federal as its a true public use doctrine where as State isnt, its a revenue generator.

Regardless, my point is that it's common to manage private property for money rather than conservation. When the two coincide, Aldo's vision works great. Unfortunately, human nature is what it is. If the bottom ever dropped out of the whitetail market, I think it would potentially reverse the decades of progress we've made in Texas.

You are right, good news is conservation is pretty cheap in grand scheme so hopefully when bottom drops doesnt revert to much

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851473 05/12/23 08:58 PM
10 Gauge Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
I honestly believe that a successful ”game ranch” with paid employees to manage and guide is little more than a means to purchase a recreational hunting property as a write-off. The only ones making money off conservation are biologists and etc. and they don't make much.

Last edited by Bryan C. Heimann; 05/12/23 08:58 PM.

1 Thessalonians 4:11-14
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851565 05/12/23 10:21 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
If CWD was really a problem in Texas they would restrict all game movement.

For me to move a whitetail deer I have to apply for release site permits, breeder has to be certified as clean and movement qualified, but if I want to move an elk, red deer or Sika I just load it into the back of a truck and take it to the ranch. same with axis or fallow.

CWD has existed in Texas for a long, long time and it wasn’t deer breeders who invented it.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: 10 Gauge] #8851568 05/12/23 10:23 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Bryan C. Heimann
I honestly believe that a successful ”game ranch” with paid employees to manage and guide is little more than a means to purchase a recreational hunting property as a write-off. The only ones making money off conservation are biologists and etc. and they don't make much.

Have you ever been to a “ game ranch”? In most of them the animals are better cared for than anywhere else.

In the west, large private ranches were pivotal in conserving most big game species and many non game species. Those big places take a full staff to run and operate.

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851572 05/12/23 10:29 PM
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
So...when can I expect my load of sika at the ranch? banana

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Creekrunner] #8851612 05/12/23 11:28 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
So...when can I expect my load of sika at the ranch? banana

I would love for you to have a good herd of free range Jap Sika on your place

I would for sure visit more often….

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: Texas Dan] #8851856 05/13/23 12:38 PM
S
soooo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
S
FYI- Yesterday on Facebook Dr Deer (Kroll) reported a case of CWD on the Kerr WMA. For those who may be interested.

Re: Do Aldo Leopold's teachings still hold true today? [Re: soooo] #8851867 05/13/23 12:57 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by soooo
FYI- Yesterday on Facebook Dr Deer (Kroll) reported a case of CWD on the Kerr WMA. For those who may be interested.

You can’t find something if you never test for it.

They are going to continue to find it, be cause it’s always been around.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide