Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8373171 09/03/21 01:07 AM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
I picked one up last week in Wharton and got it out this weekend I wired cut hog panels around the bottom to keep the pigs out from under it.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: tailchaser93] #8373301 09/03/21 02:24 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by tailchaser93
I picked one up last week in Wharton and got it out this weekend I wired cut hog panels around the bottom to keep the pigs out from under it.

If you don’t have feeder pens then a good idea to block em from getting under. Others have suggested a way to block but your idea may be as good as any. Maybe I can get you to come do mine.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8373605 09/03/21 01:39 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I have never had the need to wire anything under a stand and fill for pig protection. The newer design on the buccee's ones is that the motor box is enshrouded with metal, so I can't imagine pigs would be able to do any damage to those.

Have you had a need to keep pigs out, meaning have pigs ruined a stand and fill feeder?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8375704 09/05/21 08:08 PM
T
tailchaser93 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
T
My big concern was them getting under it and bending the plate that covers the spinner. I don’t know if it’s actually needed but it was free insurance for something that cost a lot of money.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8375732 09/05/21 08:52 PM
F
foodieguy Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
F
We have one of these and are pretty happy with it. Great customer service experience with all seasons too. We had it connected wrong and they provided some great trouble shooting steps.

I’d say the only thing to watch out for is the RPM setting. Putting it on high really goes thru the corn. We had ours set to high and went thru half the bin in no time flat. Its fun to see it fly out so far but can get expensive if you don’t watch out.

Adult late onset hunter. Why did I wait so long to get started?
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8399327 09/27/21 03:22 PM
S
ScrapIron Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
S
i looked at them at buccees and decided i could make mine better than that..
already had the stand and fill i had built several years ago so i just dropped the box the motor and timer and battery was in (a metal ammo box) and used to big stop signs 1" apart with tubing spacers, drilled the stop signs in the center for the motor shaft and funnel and bolted them up to the existing feeder i had.

HOLY ^&*%!!!!!! that thing throws corn in a 30 yard radius around that feeder and leaves maybe 10 kernels on the plates. Coon have to have 17" arms to reach the spinner and not a thing they or hogs can tear up

good thing i have a good supply of used stop signs cause im doing all my feeders like that now

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8538473 02/23/22 12:15 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Bucees feeders are talked about a lot of here so I thought I would bump us this thread cause its pretty informative about a feeder that seems extremely popular to guys on here. They are $499 at most Bucees I have seen in the last couple months.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8539978 02/24/22 04:34 PM
Sidebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
I posted my question on another thread but should have posted it here. I was wondering if the plates make the corn actually throw further or it depends on the motor you have. I use a eliminator spinner on one of my feeders and it doesn't throw as far as my Buccees feeder. I actually have to run my Buccees on low.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8551476 03/08/22 11:11 PM
D
DLALLDER Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
I have a question, being a cheap skate, are deer feeders ag exempt? Plan to purchase one in the next few days and need to have my paperwork with me. Thanks Daniel

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: DLALLDER] #8551482 03/08/22 11:18 PM
F
Frio Town Online Content
Woodsman
Online Content
Woodsman
F
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
I have a question, being a cheap skate, are deer feeders ag exempt? Plan to purchase one in the next few days and need to have my paperwork with me. Thanks Daniel

The short answer is No!!

Frio

"Let's Go Brandon"
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8620875 06/15/22 02:25 PM
syncerus Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Has anyone replaced the solar panel on one of these units? Any hints or suggestions?

NRA Patriot Benefactor & DSC Lifer
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8664684 08/15/22 12:35 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
I have an update from my original review over 3 years ago. Twice in less than 2 months we have had 2 feeders quit working. The battery is charged and the timer seems to be working, but the motor won't spin. The wires that run from the timer/battery to the motor are exposed to the slinging corn. I am assuming that over time, the corn has cut the wires. This is on both the "old" style feeder with the exposed wires and motor under the plate as well as the "new" style with the metal cover. Again these were purchased a little over 3 years ago.

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8674706 08/27/22 03:40 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by jrfan
I have an update from my original review over 3 years ago. Twice in less than 2 months we have had 2 feeders quit working. The battery is charged and the timer seems to be working, but the motor won't spin. The wires that run from the timer/battery to the motor are exposed to the slinging corn. I am assuming that over time, the corn has cut the wires. This is on both the "old" style feeder with the exposed wires and motor under the plate as well as the "new" style with the metal cover. Again these were purchased a little over 3 years ago.

I just checked my Bucees feeder. No wiring exposed to the slinging corn at all. I assume that was one of the changes they made from the first gen when they also enclosed the motor.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: freerange] #8678242 08/31/22 09:39 PM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
Originally Posted by freerange

I just checked my Bucees feeder. No wiring exposed to the slinging corn at all. I assume that was one of the changes they made from the first gen when they also enclosed the motor.

Ill try and get a pic this weekend so everyone can see what I'm referring to...

[Linked Image]
Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8683429 09/08/22 01:37 PM
H
Hunter11 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Has anyone seen if the Madisonville Buccees has feeders in stock? They don't have a working phone number for me to call and ask.

Thanks

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Hunter11] #8691687 09/20/22 12:48 PM
T
TxsDirtDad Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
T
I checked in the Madisonville store last week and they had only one displayed outside. Price tag said $479 as I recall. Don’t touch it without gloves in the afternoon, that thing was hot!

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8838640 04/23/23 02:03 AM
T
Tkshunting Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
T
Anyone know if the Baytown store have any in stock ?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Tkshunting] #8893023 08/01/23 08:32 AM
W
woods and plainsman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by Tkshunting
Anyone know if the Baytown store have any in stock ?

No, be nice if they would pick up the phone but I haven't ever seen the wharton or katy store run out of stock

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: TxsDirtDad] #8893024 08/01/23 08:37 AM
W
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by TxsDirtDad
I checked in the Madisonville store last week and they had only one displayed outside. Price tag said $479 as I recall. Don’t touch it without gloves in the afternoon, that thing was hot!

Yes, but you only have to grab em for a second if you're removing to add corn flame

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8893025 08/01/23 08:41 AM
W
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Have 3 on my property for a year.
One came with the property, it wasn't working swapped the battery and timer, good to go for now. Replaced with " the timer" at Buccees which was convenient, same price as from ASF.

I set a second one near the creek on a hill. Not high enough and May rain put water half way up the feeder. Had to change the timer, battery, and motor. If ever a hurricane I think I'll remove the guts before the storm and tie it to a tree. They're not made for catfish.

3rd one no issues so far.

Had a couple medium pigs get under one, but they rarely do this and they didn't damage. Small ones get under it but so far no big ones. The bars discourage this. I have a lot of pigs. Coons gave it hell but I ran the duke traps and that took care of the issue. I still have a few but its almost as if they learned to stay away after a couple months of trapping. I expected they'd come back quicker. I suppose that was easier than modifying the feeder and maybe it helped with the turkey population.

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8903468 08/18/23 02:12 PM
N
nacgoat08 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
N
So, I had our first issue this past week. I contribute it to the poor design on the original feeders with the exposed motors and wiring. This particular feeder had the modified cover with the plastic water valve cover that I used to secure the motor and wires. I’m guessing a squirrel chewed the finger hole enough where he could get inside the cover and chewed up one of the wires. I’m not really sure why, I didn’t find a nest or anything, just the one chewed wire. Luckily it was an easy fix. I also cut a thin piece of sheet metal to cover the plastic, so hopefully all is good now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Curious as to why you didn't use a galvanized steel duct cap opposed to the plastic water valve cover?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-6-in-Round-Duct-Cap-DC6/100396933

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: jrfan] #8912807 09/06/23 07:40 PM
B
bigolebutt Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
B
Anyone been by the Bastrop location , any inventory?

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: Rifleman1775] #8916927 09/14/23 02:04 AM
W
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted by Rifleman1775
Bought one at the Baytown store yesterday. They had 7 left. Just make sure that they give you the right timer. They told me that it didn't come with a timer so I bought "The Timer" at an additional $58, because that's what they brought to the counter. Just did't sound right so I contacted ASF. ASF handled it in a hurry. Had a reply back within minutes of sending the email and shortly after that, Bucee's corporate called me. Long story short, they do come with a cheaper ASF timer, but you have to ask the cashier for it because they don't leave them inside the feeders.

The employees at Buccees are A to Z, some know, some are clueless what comes with it.. At the time, Katy was clueless, Wharton knew the scoop.
They all come with timers.
I was impressed I could buy "The Timer" at Buccees for the same cost as ASF so picked up while there, didnt have to order

Re: Bucc-ees Stand and fill review [Re: nacgoat08] #8917017 09/14/23 11:24 AM
J
jrfan Offline OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Offline
Veteran Tracker
J
We are going into our 4th season since I made this original post. Other than the issues I have mentioned here, these are running flawlessly. We have had to replace a couple batteries this year, but that is to be expected.

Originally Posted by nacgoat08
So, I had our first issue this past week. I contribute it to the poor design on the original feeders with the exposed motors and wiring. This particular feeder had the modified cover with the plastic water valve cover that I used to secure the motor and wires. I’m guessing a squirrel chewed the finger hole enough where he could get inside the cover and chewed up one of the wires. I’m not really sure why, I didn’t find a nest or anything, just the one chewed wire. Luckily it was an easy fix. I also cut a thin piece of sheet metal to cover the plastic, so hopefully all is good now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Curious as to why you didn't use a galvanized steel duct cap opposed to the plastic water valve cover?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Master-Flow-6-in-Round-Duct-Cap-DC6/100396933

In hindsight, I guess that would have been ideal. I was copying this idea from another forum, and that is what he used. We haven't had the same issue since.

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide