Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825573 03/29/23 05:37 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Think Stompy had shared with us a year or two ago that HFng was looking more and more like a possibility due to the issues he was facing with surrounding neighbors. I for one appreciate his candidness and sharing his experience with us. If anything, it could put others on notice here that are overshooting their leases and/or ranches what can and may happen as a repercussion.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825577 03/29/23 05:43 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Stompy
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I am not trying to be mean with this question at all, but since you posted this I want to ask....why did you post this?

You could have quietly done the HF project with only your close friends knowing, but you chose to come on here and tell us. I am really curious about the reason behind you telling us this. Genuinely curious. So please take this for what it is, a simple question.

I have a lot of friends here on THF that aren't on other sites. Plus this is a hunting forum. Plus even though I didn't ask, I thought there may be some insight from others that have done this, and there was.

Why does anyone post anything on any forum?

The reason I asked is this could target you for a number of "labels"...and don't try to tell me this forum is not full of label making. you even labelled your neighbors (bad neighbors, supposedly because they shoot bucks that you want to keep around to let get old). Your post is full of "justification" for your actions on your property. Why do you need to justify it to anyone? It is your property, just do what you want.

Again, I am not trying to be mean or rude here, your post just reads like a excuse rather than an action. Claim it, be proud of it, you have the right. So just own it.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: DQ Kid] #8825581 03/29/23 05:56 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Think Stompy had shared with us a year or two ago that HFng was looking more and more like a possibility due to the issues he was facing with surrounding neighbors. I for one appreciate his candidness and sharing his experience with us. If anything, it could put others on notice here that are overshooting their leases and/or ranches what can and may happen as a repercussion.

This is a pervading thought that I hear often today, "I can tell you what to do but don't you dare tell me what to do"....it is a little (lot) disingenuous to say someone NEEDs to HF a place because of neighbors. The underlying thought is these neighbors are disrupting my deer by shooting or pressuring or whatever else....deer are not yours, and never will be in Texas. They belong as much to the lease next door and the neighbor across the street as you. So the reality is the HF is for OUR control of the deer, not to because of the neighbors. We want to control the herd more closely, we want to better protect the herd from over hunting, we want to..blah blah...its all about controlling something that is not ours to control.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with neighbors and nothing to do with repercussions about the next door actions, it is all about controlling something that we think belongs to us, and that we have the right to dictate to others how those resources will be dealt with.

Just for the record, I could care less about HFs and do not think any less of someone who puts up a HF. I am just calling out the ridiculous speak of saying they are doing it but its the neighbors fault they are doing it. These fences are put up for the landowner to control what is on their property. Has nothing to do with the neighbors.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Texas buckeye] #8825584 03/29/23 06:00 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I am not trying to be mean with this question at all, but since you posted this I want to ask....why did you post this?

You could have quietly done the HF project with only your close friends knowing, but you chose to come on here and tell us. I am really curious about the reason behind you telling us this. Genuinely curious. So please take this for what it is, a simple question.

if you have to preface anything with "I am not trying to be mean with this question at all", then maybe, just maybe it shouldn't be asked.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Hudbone] #8825587 03/29/23 06:06 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Hudbone

if you have to preface anything with "I am not trying to be mean with this question at all", then maybe, just maybe it shouldn't be asked.

I wrote that because this topic is inflammatory and cause people to be taken out of context. I did not want to have my question taken out of context. It really was a simple "why" question, and I gave my why for asking in the response to the answer.

I routinely state things such as that statement to preface questions or comments in a potentially inflammatory subject. I try to have civil discourse, not one way debates. But I will call out silliness when I see it. This, and many other topics, have much silliness wrapped up into it. So just trying to keep the discussion civil and lively

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825590 03/29/23 06:15 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
congrats stompy, If you ever need help gathering cattle, ill help. I hate gathering on places with bad fencing.

on a serious note, I look forward to seeing your photos and progression pics off individual deer. the HF tool is where theory and reality meet the road. Think you will be happy with your decision

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825591 03/29/23 06:15 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
it's akin to someone muttering, "I'll be honest with you, . . . " - worst preface going.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Hudbone] #8825597 03/29/23 06:26 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
it's akin to someone muttering, "I'll be honest with you, . . . " - worst preface going.

Not quite, the "i'll be honest with ya..." means what you say is sometimes not honest. Not with me.

Me saying " I am not trying to be mean here" means exactly what it says, do not take this as a sarcastic or snide comment, take it for what it is...also in line with me telling the truth and trying to remain civil.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825609 03/29/23 06:41 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I think Stompy was just wanting to give an update on a major project he has going on his place. He may of been justifying his actions on a subject he and all us know is controversial, but I see no problem with that. Im sure he wasnt wanting a debate on HF vs LF so if anyone wants to debate that I wish they would start a thread pointed specifically at that. Stompy has posted a lot about his place through the years so I just look at it like he built another barn or planted a wheat field.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825611 03/29/23 06:51 PM
M
Mr. T. Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
M
Well, we aren't "friends", but I enjoy seeing what others do to their ranches. So, thanks for posting and in information
on how much a mile.

Cabin rental in Pagosa Springs, Co.
Sleeps 10, If interested please PM me.
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825614 03/29/23 06:56 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I am glad Stompy paid his money to achieve something better for hisself. No longer worried about the neighbors' undue pressures, he can enjoy hisself a lil' more.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Hudbone] #8825622 03/29/23 07:12 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I am glad Stompy paid his money to achieve something better for hisself. No longer worried about the neighbors' undue pressures, he can enjoy hisself a lil' more.

I agree. I just wish he hadn't made the post sound like an excuse. As I said, its his, he can do what he wants with it. Own that right. Not everyone has that ability. Be proud of it. Not mildly ashamed....thats how I took the post and was asking why he posted it. not trying to get into any debate about HF or LF.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825625 03/29/23 07:18 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Your yankee "manners" really get in your way

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Hudbone] #8825645 03/29/23 08:02 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Your yankee "manners" really get in your way

Don't be so biased cheers

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825660 03/29/23 08:44 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
lol

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825662 03/29/23 08:45 PM
Texas452 Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Originally Posted by Stompy

I have a lot of friends here on THF that aren't on other sites. Plus this is a hunting forum. Plus even though I didn't ask, I thought there may be some insight from others that have done this, and there was.

Why does anyone post anything on any forum?

I’m glad glad you posted it, looks really good.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825673 03/29/23 09:04 PM
D
Double AC Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Keep us posted Stompy. We have considered and continue to consider whether we might go HF or not and your experience here is another point of reference us and others have to inform our decisions.

If it’s not too much to keep track of and share over the years, I am especially curious to see how quick deer numbers go up and how your management changes to keep up with the growth of the herd, the impact to antler size and the speed of that impact, cost and quantities of feed and whether that increases as deer cannot disperse during times of hardship.

The one negative I hear from those who high fence and end up taking it down is that they say it becomes too much of a job, so curious to here about your long term satisfaction of the fence as well.

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Hudbone] #8825683 03/29/23 09:15 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825688 03/29/23 09:30 PM
P
Pitchfork Predator Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Nice fence Stompy....I would think this also helps with controlling the hog population.

What about coyotes? Can they get through that fence?

Marc C. Helfrich
Retirement Planner

www.insured-wealth.com
469-323-8920
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Pitchfork Predator] #8825693 03/29/23 09:41 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator
Nice fence Stompy....I would think this also helps with controlling the hog population.

yes they will dig under the fence - I had to place a bunch of traps to catch them when they would crawl under the fence

Also Stompy some of your deer will have trouble adjusting to the HF - I lost some that would try to jump it and it would break their necks - it takes a little while for them to figure it out but they will -

You can't fix stupid
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Texas buckeye] #8825695 03/29/23 09:50 PM
S
Stompy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by DQ Kid

This is a pervading thought that I hear often today, "I can tell you what to do but don't you dare tell me what to do"....it is a little (lot) disingenuous to say someone NEEDs to HF a place because of neighbors. The underlying thought is these neighbors are disrupting my deer by shooting or pressuring or whatever else....deer are not yours, and never will be in Texas. They belong as much to the lease next door and the neighbor across the street as you. So the reality is the HF is for OUR control of the deer, not to because of the neighbors. We want to control the herd more closely, we want to better protect the herd from over hunting, we want to..blah blah...its all about controlling something that is not ours to control.

Sorry, this has nothing to do with neighbors and nothing to do with repercussions about the next door actions, it is all about controlling something that we think belongs to us, and that we have the right to dictate to others how those resources will be dealt with.

Just for the record, I could care less about HFs and do not think any less of someone who puts up a HF. I am just calling out the ridiculous speak of saying they are doing it but its the neighbors fault they are doing it. These fences are put up for the landowner to control what is on their property. Has nothing to do with the neighbors.

They were not simply bad neighbors, they were poachers. I heard a lot of shooting over there but when they put 6 stands on my fence line (not 100 yards from my fence but on the fence) I had a conversation with the lessor. He was the biggest azz I've met in a very long time. I found out they were killing way more deer than tags allowed, he was selling the deer meat. I'm not going to get into details of what happened to him, but he's no longer the lessor. I would call that the worst neighbor there is, and that's why the fence went up in the first place.

Last edited by Stompy; 03/29/23 10:56 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Cabin Rentals on the ranch for Hubbard Creek Lake
Re: The Final Phase [Re: tlk] #8825696 03/29/23 09:52 PM
S
Stompy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Originally Posted by tlk
Originally Posted by Pitchfork Predator

yes they will dig under the fence - I had to place a bunch of traps to catch them when they would crawl under the fence

Also Stompy some of your deer will have trouble adjusting to the HF - I lost some that would try to jump it and it would break their necks - it takes a little while for them to figure it out but they will -

Yes, coyotes will be an issue...got my snares ready to go. Will probably be setting them this weekend.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Texas buckeye] #8825699 03/29/23 09:55 PM
S
Stompy Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

I agree. I just wish he hadn't made the post sound like an excuse. As I said, its his, he can do what he wants with it. Own that right. Not everyone has that ability. Be proud of it. Not mildly ashamed....thats how I took the post and was asking why he posted it. not trying to get into any debate about HF or LF.

I'm not mildly ashamed, just trying to be careful how I worded it....To avoid THIS!

Last edited by Stompy; 03/29/23 10:24 PM.

www.jaranchhunting.com
Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825722 03/29/23 10:44 PM
R
RANGERRONG Offline
Tracker
Tracker
R
very nice

Re: The Final Phase [Re: Stompy] #8825735 03/29/23 11:41 PM
R
Ringtail Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
R
Congratulations, that is some nice looking fencing! That's going to keep you busy keeping the herd in check but I bet you will get a lot of satisfaction out of your labors. I'm definitely curious about the results over the coming years and how you attack some of the problems that arise. Good Luck!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide