Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Wilhunt] #8805879 02/22/23 01:59 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
And what do you do about a dog with collar chasing deer on the lease?

Very unlikely a single dog would be able to take down a deer. He is just learning that. No you just don't shoot collared dogs.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: rickt300] #8805980 02/22/23 04:32 AM
J
Jimbo Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by rickt300

Very unlikely a single dog would be able to take down a deer. He is just learning that. No you just don't shoot collared dogs.

I was out filling my feeder and I heard a dog barking coming in my direction.
I paused to watch, and as the dog got closer I noticed it was collared as it was running down past me on a powerline.
The dog was obviously chasing, but I didn't see anything but the dog.
Shortly after the dog went by me a ranch hand on his horse came riding up and he told us that it was his dog.
He was rounding up a stray calf that was still in the pasture after he had hauled the other cows out a week earlier.
More often than not a dog with a collar will have it's owner not very far away!

Thursday at 12:45 PM
Once i learned that i didn't "NEED" to kill something, and that if i did kill something all the fun stopped and work began, i was a much better hunter.
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: rickt300] #8805985 02/22/23 04:44 AM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

Other than eating every single thing including the antlers how is a dog killing a deer any different than one of us killing a deer?

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806026 02/22/23 11:43 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by blkt2

Other than eating every single thing including the antlers how is a dog killing a deer any different than one of us killing a deer?

The dog doesn't pay for the opportunity.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806084 02/22/23 01:38 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Hudbone

The dog doesn't pay for the opportunity.

They are incapable of doing so and neither is my 13 year old nephew but he has taken deer every year since he was 7 on land that I didn't have to pay to hunt on either.

Maybe some hunters just get irritated by extra competition. If they get old enough and cranky enough they may start to feel the same way about other hunters as they feel about dogs chasing "Their" deer.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: rickt300] #8806086 02/22/23 01:41 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

maybe the burden of proof isnt to prove it was chasing live stock or attacking a human, burden of proof is on the state or dog owner to prove it wasnt chasing or not attacking.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806116 02/22/23 02:00 PM
tlk Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
we lived on our ranch near Fort Hood some years ago - people would get transferred and just drop their dogs off on the side of the road and I assumed many of them were from there. The dogs were running in packs and chasing down the livestock - not a safe situation IMO

You can't fix stupid
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806139 02/22/23 02:33 PM
O
Old Rabbit Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
O

From what I have seen, the dogs do it for sport. Kill one, then head out after another one, then another one. At least that is what they did to my chickens.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Tbar] #8806179 02/22/23 03:33 PM
G
GUTIT Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Originally Posted by Tbar
We have to “deal” with them once or twice year because of the cattle. Seems like they only become a problem when their are 3 or more.

THIS. I run cattle and have many pastures. This is an unwritten rule among all the ranchers and farmers around me. Have personally seen dogs circling a few of my herds in pack behavior, especially if there is a fresh calf. They get "dealt" with in a final way. When city folk move out here a few of them think its ok to let their beloved pet run loose, They don't come home.

I have 4 dogs and they are in an acre of fenced in yard. My job as a responsible pet owner to kept them in that yard. They get out and get "dealt" with by another rancher or farmer, its on me.

Texas Statute Law Section 822.013.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: GUTIT] #8806194 02/22/23 03:46 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by GUTIT
Originally Posted by Tbar
We have to “deal” with them once or twice year because of the cattle. Seems like they only become a problem when their are 3 or more.

THIS. I run cattle and have many pastures. This is an unwritten rule among all the ranchers and farmers around me. Have personally seen dogs circling a few of my herds in pack behavior, especially if there is a fresh calf. They get "dealt" with in a final way. When city folk move out here a few of them think its ok to let their beloved pet run loose, They don't come home.

I have 4 dogs and they are in an acre of fenced in yard. My job as a responsible pet owner to kept them in that yard. They get out and get "dealt" with by another rancher or farmer, its on me.

Texas Statute Law Section 822.013.

It really is pretty simple.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806250 02/22/23 05:10 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

They are incapable of doing so and neither is my 13 year old nephew but he has taken deer every year since he was 7 on land that I didn't have to pay to hunt on either.

Maybe some hunters just get irritated by extra competition. If they get old enough and cranky enough they may start to feel the same way about other hunters as they feel about dogs chasing "Their" deer.

I am trying to figure out how pertinent this to people who hunt on land they own or who pay handsomely for trespass rights to hunt.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806274 02/22/23 05:40 PM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D

Other than species how is it any different for me to shoot a coyote or a dog or bobcat or a snake? If I don't want them on my land, killing them is the most effective way to remove them permanently.

Folks put way too much value on animals.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806285 02/22/23 05:56 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

I am trying to figure out how pertinent this to people who hunt on land they own or who pay handsomely for trespass rights to hunt.

My point is that dogs are just dogs. They are completely dependent on people and if a person drops the ball it is not the dogs fault and they do what they can to survive. They have no concept of trespassing and if they knew they would be killed for it they would avoid doing it. I understand killing ones that are causing damage or are a threat but killing them just because you see them is uncalled for. If they can be helped then get them to a shelter, if they are causing problems kill them, if they are minding their own business and just passing through then just let them pass. The best dogs I have had are ones that I picked up wandering in the country or starving on the side of the road.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806342 02/22/23 07:31 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H

My point is that dogs are just dogs. They are completely dependent on people and if a person drops the ball it is not the dogs fault and they do what they can to survive. They have no concept of trespassing and if they knew they would be killed for it they would avoid doing it. I understand killing ones that are causing damage or are a threat but killing them just because you see them is uncalled for. If they can be helped then get them to a shelter, if they are causing problems kill them, if they are minding their own business and just passing through then just let them pass. The best dogs I have had are ones that I picked up wandering in the country or starving on the side of the road.

I didn't really see where anyone was advocating an indiscriminate shooting of all mutts out there, but considering your thinking, I find myself realizing the problems created by others should be forced upon us and that we should shoulder the burden of correcting them. Now I get how you have come up with your stance on decriminalizing drugs.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Wilhunt] #8806343 02/22/23 07:33 PM
Double Naught Spy Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Happy
THF Trophy Hunter

We were on a lease that backed up to a subdivision and there were dogs there. More than once they would come on the property and chase the deer. I never shot one but there were several killed. I think if cattle had been on the place they would have chased them as well.

Whether you lease or own the land, chances are the deer are not yours, right? You are talking about whitetail that occurs in the area, naturally? Not your deer. They belong to the state. You don't have the legal right to shoot at somebody else's dog (or a stray) chasing deer. I know people make a big deal about whether or not a collar is on the dog(s) and it doesn't matter as collars don't determine status of the dog. The deer are the state's property and unless you are an agent for the state, you don't get to use lethal force protecting somebody else's property.

It is kind of like when you shoot a nice buck on your place and your neighbor goes wild because you shot HIS deer that he had been feeding and watching for the last 2 years...when neither of you ever owned the living deer, but your neighbor thinks it was his.

You can't shoot at dogs simply because they are on your property and might chase the cattle. If they are actively trying to harm your cattle on your land, you can shoot them whether they are your pet, your neighbor's prized bulldog, or a stray.

At least this is what I have in my notes from going through Hunter's Ed with my daughter. We had some guy that was bent on shooting dogs that crossed his property (didn't even own livestock or pets). The game warden teaching the class said that if he was called out to his house because he was shooting dogs, the homeowner would probably have a hard time coming up with an "articulable justification" for shooting the dogs for simply being present.

With that said, people do it all the time. Getting caught is rare. All I am saying is that you could be in trouble for shooting dogs and that the justification for doing so being that they are chasing deer or might have chased cattle in the past isn't going to fly as a legal justification if you are caught.

Hogdalorian - Si vis pacem cum sus, para bellum.
My Videos https://www.youtube.com/user/HornHillRange
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806381 02/22/23 08:30 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B

I didn't really see where anyone was advocating an indiscriminate shooting of all mutts out there, but considering your thinking, I find myself realizing the problems created by others should be forced upon us and that we should shoulder the burden of correcting them. Now I get how you have come up with your stance on decriminalizing drugs.

My views on drugs are mostly selfish; I care about civil liberties and limiting the power of government. My civil rights have been eroded in the name of fighting the war on drugs and so have yours even if you won't acknowledge that. There is absolutely no abuse of power by government that cannot be excused when they are trying to do something for your own good. Haven't you heard the phrase that the path to hell is paved with good intentions?

My view on how to handle wild dogs stems from my humanity and desire to help things that are innocent and helpless by themselves. Dogs have been beside mankind since before recorded history and they have earned our consideration and sympathy. Druggies on the other hand were perfectly capable of making up their own minds and chose to do something stupid, screw them. They can have as much dope as they want until it kills them.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806383 02/22/23 08:36 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Let me get this straight, feral dogs deserve more respect than human druggies? Is that right?

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806398 02/22/23 09:04 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Let me get this straight, feral dogs deserve more respect than human druggies? Is that right?

Absolutely. I will shoot a human druggie that's trying to cause me harm a lot quicker than I will shoot a dog. One got themselves into that circumstance by choice and the other is a victim of circumstances outside of their control. I don't have much sympathy for addicts or any at all because their actions have impacted my life and everyone's life that lives in the United States. Were it legal to do so I would walk around killing all of the methed out lunatics that live under bridges by my house but I pick up stray dogs and try to find them homes. I also donate a few thousand dollars per year to various animal shelters but I won't give a cent to homeless shelters.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806404 02/22/23 09:23 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
The hope here is I never fail you.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806412 02/22/23 09:30 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Also hope you never ever run across my meth smoking former city councilman friend. Graduated scotch to smoking meth and never did the weed thing. Don't know how it happened. We no longer communicate cuz I don't trust a druggie. I'd help him before I helped a dog.

Dogs before humans, what is this society coming to?

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: Hudbone] #8806414 02/22/23 09:37 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Also hope you never ever run across my meth smoking former city councilman friend. Graduated scotch to smoking meth and never did the weed thing. Don't know how it happened. We no longer communicate cuz I don't trust a druggie. I'd help him before I helped a dog.

Dogs I can deal with, their problems are very very very very simple and there's usually hope for all of them. I've had my fill of trying to help druggies, it pretty much can't be done and at some point they're beyond recovery and just need to be killed. Don't get me wrong though, I do help people that are down and out. I have a woman living in my guest house as I type this because she got kicked out of her apartment and has nowhere to go. At the moment I'm trying to get her a new green card and a passport and I've lent her one of my cars and she receives some financial support. . Please don't let me give you the impression that she is a stranger, she's someone I've known for the better part of 15 years.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806422 02/22/23 09:46 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter

Dogs I can deal with, their problems are very very very very simple and there's usually hope for all of them. I've had my fill of trying to help druggies, it pretty much can't be done and at some point they're beyond recovery and just need to be killed. Don't get me wrong though, I do help people that are down and out. I have a woman living in my guest house as I type this because she got kicked out of her apartment and has nowhere to go. At the moment I'm trying to get her a new green card and a passport and I've lent her one of my cars and she receives some financial support. . Please don't let me give you the impression that she is a stranger, she's someone I've known for the better part of 15 years.

Is she hot?

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: ntxtrapper] #8806455 02/22/23 10:29 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
^^^^ She was when I met her. She's a cute Scott's woman and I met her when she was dancing at The Lodge. I'm married now and my wife knows that the two of us have history but she's also someone that was invited to our wedding and is a friend to both of us.

Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806466 02/22/23 10:46 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
^^^^ She was when I met her. She's a cute Scott's woman and I met her when she was dancing at The Lodge. I'm married now and my wife knows that the two of us have history but she's also someone that was invited to our wedding and is a friend to both of us.

My Man.

Looks like I was successful at changing the direction of this thread.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Hunter attacked by dogs [Re: blkt2] #8806556 02/23/23 01:19 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

You’ve got to be kidding me…..

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide