Forums46
Topics538,050
Posts9,732,361
Members87,055
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: freerange] #8796554 02/06/23 07:36 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
Originally Posted by freerange
Originally Posted by Buzzsaw
Originally Posted by Stub
[Linked Image]

Is that from back when you played for the Cowboys confused2 laugh

HaHa, no, my Dad was entertainment Director. He started in 1960 with Tex Schram and retired 2 years into the Jere era. I did get to work with him at the 5 Super Bowl halftimes he did including the Victory over the "Orange Crush" in 1977.

I was at that game, Buzz, I think. New Orleans right? Butch Johnson made the diving catch at goal line..? Randy White and Harvey Martin got Co MVPs..?
I may be all wrong, but thats what I remember. I don't remember halftime entertainment though.

YES!! Thats the one. Funny you brought this up, I can't remember either. I went to Super Bowls at Tulane Stadium, Rice Stadium and The Superdome. The one which stands out the most was at The Superdome, Philly vs Oakland Raiders. Dad put on a full-blown Mardi Gras parade in the stadium with Pete Fountain and Carol Channing. I was "in charge" of getting the Pink Elephant going around the Stadium.

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796570 02/06/23 07:59 PM
J
Jimbo1 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
J
I have my father's 1950's USAF wooden storage chest, but I wouldn't really say it a "prized" possession since I never knew him. I store some ammo and gun stuff in it. I do have a Win model 25 12ga that I've had for over 40 years, but otherwise, maybe my grandmother's dining room set that's probably close to a hundred years old.

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796659 02/06/23 10:28 PM
S
SapperTitan Offline
Taking Requests
Taking Requests
S
My little brother Eric’s baseball glove. He died from cancer when he was 8 I was 12. Probably won’t mean anything to anyone else when I’m gone but it sure means a lot to me.

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Stub] #8796662 02/06/23 10:35 PM
D
dkershen Offline
Rev Dave
Rev Dave
D
[Linked Image]

Is that from back when you played for the Cowboys confused2 laugh

HaHa, no, my Dad was entertainment Director. He started in 1960 with Tex Schram and retired 2 years into the Jere era. I did get to work with him at the 5 Super Bowl halftimes he did including the Victory over the "Orange Crush" in 1977.

Thats very cool Buzz, had to be a good time and wonderful memories up

I've got a signed Cowboy's football from the Super Bowl XXII team. But it's not my most prized possession. Cool memento though.

[Linked Image]

To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

www.NewHopeEquine.com - Health and Healing through Horses.
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796666 02/06/23 10:42 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
My mother's paintings and my Dad's badges.

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: SapperTitan] #8796673 02/06/23 11:03 PM
M
Marc K Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SapperTitan
My little brother Eric’s baseball glove. He died from cancer when he was 8 I was 12. Probably won’t mean anything to anyone else when I’m gone but it sure means a lot to me.

Yes.

A Democracy is when two wolves and a lamb vote on the dinner menu. That is why this country was specifically not designed as a Democracy. We are a Constitutional Republic.
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796702 02/06/23 11:57 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I have 2 items from my grandfather that are very special to me and will never be sold.

Back in his youth (prior to WWII) he was a missionary in China. The local villagers had a problem with a tiger killing their livestock and asked him for help. He borrowed a rifle from someone (I don't know what the rifle was or who he borrowed it from) and he set out to get the cat. He shot it in the face, ruining the head skin, and had it tanned. I got it when he passed.
[Linked Image]

Same grandfather went into the USN just before WWII started soon after leaving China and he was stationed in the Philippines when the Japanese invaded on Dec 08 1941. His unit was cut off and they joined up with the guerilla forces fighting in the jungles until the USA retook the islands. I have his issued fighting knife, a U.S. Navy MK1. He killed 2 Japanese soldiers with it.
[Linked Image]

My grandfather led a hell of a life.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: QMC SW/EXW] #8796746 02/07/23 12:52 AM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by QMC SW/EXW
I have 2 items from my grandfather that are very special to me and will never be sold.

Back in his youth (prior to WWII) he was a missionary in China. The local villagers had a problem with a tiger killing their livestock and asked him for help. He borrowed a rifle from someone (I don't know what the rifle was or who he borrowed it from) and he set out to get the cat. He shot it in the face, ruining the head skin, and had it tanned. I got it when he passed.
[Linked Image]

Same grandfather went into the USN just before WWII started soon after leaving China and he was stationed in the Philippines when the Japanese invaded on Dec 08 1941. His unit was cut off and they joined up with the guerilla forces fighting in the jungles until the USA retook the islands. I have his issued fighting knife, a U.S. Navy MK1. He killed 2 Japanese soldiers with it.
[Linked Image]

My grandfather led a hell of a life.

Those are both very cool! Agreed, he led a hell of a life! salute cheers

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796756 02/07/23 01:05 AM
G
GusWayne Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
G
We got married young, had kids young, no hand outs given people...22 years going cmon

Ive thought about this thread and what was my most prized possession and as of to date...we have things now, some of those are valuable but they ain't my most valuable

My most prized possession is probably a memory of years ago of me saving my change for a year ( I had a bucket I put it in), making sure I had enough for a vacation. I cashed in about $800 of it and we took our babies on a trip to the rocky mountains, that paid for our fuel and cabin lol...we ate sand whiches and the lady cooked breakfast It was our 1st family vacation, we didn't take vacations when I was a kid. Long time ago

That memory could never be bought

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796774 02/07/23 01:25 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Signed Nolan Ryan baseball I bid on at a charity auction.

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796855 02/07/23 04:24 AM
L
leswad Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
L
My small piece of heaven on earth would be my most prized; second place would be being 100% debt free.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FJB
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Stompy] #8796857 02/07/23 04:31 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Stompy
My ranch, I earned every acre of it.

This is a great point! There's no feeling like owning your own ranch, paid off free and clear! flehan texas

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796866 02/07/23 05:00 AM
D
DocHorton Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Since this thread started I've tried to think of something I own that I would consider my most prized possession, and I honestly can't think of an item that stands out above the rest. I have guns I've inherited from my Dad and Grandpa's, a special watch in my collection, a few things of my sister's who passed away too young, even some cool items from places I've been, or a few items that represent things I've done or accomplished. But, if I had to pick something to hang onto forever, it would be the photos of my wife and kids and the memories we've made together. Those are irreplaceable.

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796872 02/07/23 06:12 AM
O
Old Shakie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
O
The land I bought in 198O where I built my house. I have bought and sold other ranches and never had any attachment to those but this place is where I am supposed to be. Item wise it might be my Dads 22 or my Moms eye glasses or the families dinning room table from where we all grew up. The table my wife refinished. She did a fine job but does not understand she made a thousand dollar table into a hundred dollar table. We still argue about that....oh well!

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796885 02/07/23 10:03 AM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
As it relates to this forum, this S&W K frame, 6" .22 LR. Bought by my Grand Dad in the 40's. I still carry it, shoot it and have owned it 43 years [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
As it relates to life in general, my platinum wedding band.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: onlysmith&wesson] #8796898 02/07/23 11:45 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by onlysmith&wesson
As it relates to this forum, this S&W K frame, 6" .22 LR. Bought by my Grand Dad in the 40's. I still carry it, shoot it and have owned it 43 years [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
As it relates to life in general, my platinum wedding band.

Beautiful gun, sir. I'm a sucker for old revolvers. (and that coaster is pretty cool too!)

Here's an early '60s Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 I inherited from my dad when he passed.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8796949 02/07/23 01:30 PM
B
Boss Hog Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
Mine would probably be my Fender American Stratocaster give to me by Nils Lofgren (Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Etc.). He had some guitars stolen from a tour van in Dallas in 2018. I ended up unknowingly buying his Strat from the thieves. When i figured out it was his, I got them to meet me again to sell me his other guitars and arranged a bust with Dallas PD. They recovered his gear and arrested one of the guys. He was very appreciative and sent me a bunch of T-shirts, autographed CD's and brand new Stratocaster since I returned his. I got to meet him when he opened for Jeff Beck in Phoenix and he gave me some free tickets to the Springsteen show at AAC this Friday!

This is his guitar that I bought after it was stolen. The one he sent me is identical...

[Linked Image]

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8797021 02/07/23 03:06 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
That's very cool Boss Hog...very cool. Lots of neat stories and interesting thread, thanks Shane.

I've been trying to think of one item and I've really struggled. I think it's something not yet back in my possession...I built a custom 7-08, it was the first gun I built on my lathe (barrel #1) and I gave it to my Dad and told my sister that is the only thing he has that I just have to have in the terrible event of him passing. Thus far he's killed 2 deer with it and he babies that thing like it's an egg. grin Funny thing, he was mad when I gave it to him...because he said it was too much money and he didn't need anything that nice. My Dad's focus his entire life was always us and he never spent any significant money on hunting stuff...even though it and fishing is really the only hobby he ever had.

He's the man I've always wanted to be and my best friend.

Honorable mentions....I have both a single shot 16ga and a model 12 from each grandpa...and my grandpas (Dad's Dad) watch he wore daily for as long as I can remember.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: leswad] #8797046 02/07/23 03:27 PM
H
HoldPoint Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
H
Originally Posted by leswad
My small piece of heaven on earth would be my most prized; second place would be being 100% debt free.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I could have sworn I saw this place for sale recently?

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Boss Hog] #8797154 02/07/23 06:57 PM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Boss Hog
Mine would probably be my Fender American Stratocaster give to me by Nils Lofgren (Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band, Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Etc.). He had some guitars stolen from a tour van in Dallas in 2018. I ended up unknowingly buying his Strat from the thieves. When i figured out it was his, I got them to meet me again to sell me his other guitars and arranged a bust with Dallas PD. They recovered his gear and arrested one of the guys. He was very appreciative and sent me a bunch of T-shirts, autographed CD's and brand new Stratocaster since I returned his. I got to meet him when he opened for Jeff Beck in Phoenix and he gave me some free tickets to the Springsteen show at AAC this Friday!

This is his guitar that I bought after it was stolen. The one he sent me is identical...

[Linked Image]

That's super cool, Boss! up

[Linked Image]
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8797155 02/07/23 06:59 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Love this thread - no wrong answers.

Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8797240 02/07/23 09:19 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
I have been having a hard time to narrow down to just one thing physical ... I have an old mantel clock that was handed down to my mother from her mother, and passed down from her mother (my great grandmother) to her but not sure how much farther back it dates in our family. My brother got the old flintlock that was passed down on my mother's side that dates way back.

I have several of my dad's old guns, model 97 12 gauge 30 inch barrel with full choke that I grew up bird hunting with, his old Springfield conversion 30-06 plus several others.

as others have stated, wedding ring (44+ years) and a bible (but those can be bought when the old one wears out).

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8797256 02/07/23 10:03 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
This is good thread and it really makes you think.

As far as objects go….when I think about it really hard, it’s really difficult to pin something down as I’ve learned thru my life to hold onto things with a loose grip as ultimately life is out of your control and these things can be lost or taken from you despite your best efforts.

I’m very fond of several things; my taxidermy collection, my little ranch, my house, a few guns, a few knives, but to call anything my most prized possession would seem foolish.

To be honest, my most prized possession is my Body, Mind and Spirit, keeping those in good working order is paramount above any material thing.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: reeltexan] #8797279 02/07/23 10:53 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Originally Posted by reeltexan

My bible.

Precious to me as well. I have a lot of notes and highlights that I like to stumble upon.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: What is your most "prized" possession? [Re: Superduty] #8797283 02/07/23 10:55 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Don't tell my brother (he wanders on here from time to time), but he built me a bamboo fly rod a number of years ago that has caught a lot of trout and shared a lot of experiences with me. I'm pretty fond of it. Never casted a better rod.

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide