Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8798299 02/09/23 12:02 PM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Solvent trap……inexpensive gamble to keep in it’s package, unopened, waiting for the laws to change and may get you a “look see” visit from the ATF if bought online or via credit card.

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: unclebubba] #8798527 02/09/23 05:14 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by unclebubba
Originally Posted by rickt300
A real suppressor does not have to be built in a big companies shop. In fact I could design/reverse engineer a good one and just have the baffles made in one shop, the body in another, spacers and ends in yet another and no one would be the wiser. In fact I have seen several built in just that way. Usually plenty quiet enough but not made from the high dollar materials.

When I say a real suppressor, I am saying not one of those aluminum "solvent traps". I would want something machined out of titanium or stainless steel on a high quality lathe to ensure perfect concentricity.

Stainless is easily run on CNC machines to very tight TIR specs. There are not many shops out there anymore that run engine lathes but even then a good man on an engine lathe could build a fine suppressor. In fact generally if a machine shop has a engine lathe it is mostly used to turn stock to the OD and overall length desired to run in a CNC.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: rickt300] #8798563 02/09/23 06:00 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
A real suppressor does not have to be built in a big companies shop. In fact I could design/reverse engineer a good one and just have the baffles made in one shop, the body in another, spacers and ends in yet another and no one would be the wiser. In fact I have seen several built in just that way. Usually plenty quiet enough but not made from the high dollar materials.

When I say a real suppressor, I am saying not one of those aluminum "solvent traps". I would want something machined out of titanium or stainless steel on a high quality lathe to ensure perfect concentricity.

Stainless is easily run on CNC machines to very tight TIR specs. There are not many shops out there anymore that run engine lathes but even then a good man on an engine lathe could build a fine suppressor. In fact generally if a machine shop has a engine lathe it is mostly used to turn stock to the OD and overall length desired to run in a CNC.

The best shooting rifles out there are from an engine lathe, and a man that knows what he's doing. Dual indicating to .0000" off the bore, and attention to every detail after that.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: P_102] #8798591 02/09/23 06:34 PM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Originally Posted by P_102
Solvent trap……inexpensive gamble to keep in it’s package, unopened, waiting for the laws to change and may get you a “look see” visit from the ATF if bought online or via credit card.

^^^^^^

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8798682 02/09/23 09:28 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by J.G.

The best shooting rifles out there are from an engine lathe, and a man that knows what he's doing. Dual indicating to .0000" off the bore, and attention to every detail after that.

Those kind of machinists are getting harder and harder to find. Getting old, eyes going bad. Even people able to stand on their feet and program a CNC are not all over the place, programs build programs now in a lot of shops. I ran lathes all my life ending up as a programmer for CNC's. To tell the truth it takes a machinist to properly run CNC machines also. We are not in a good place. The young or a lot of them are clueless, have a hard time even with a steel tape much less a caliper or even worse a micrometer. I know two shops that closed last year that had plenty of work making parts for Bell Helicopter because they couldn't find people to run their machines. not everyone is a +or- .0003 machinist. CNC or not.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: rickt300] #8798766 02/09/23 11:45 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
I will give you some good news.

My son is in gunsmithing school right now. 25 years old. And he's got me to show him the calipers, micrometers, lathe and mill I inherited from my Grandad. Today he said their final project is going to be building a rifle for themselves. I asked if he's going to use a 4 or 6 jaw, dual indicate to .0000" and an outboard spider. He said yes, that is what they will be doing.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8798818 02/10/23 12:44 AM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I will give you some good news.

My son is in gunsmithing school right now. 25 years old. And he's got me to show him the calipers, micrometers, lathe and mill I inherited from my Grandad. Today he said their final project is going to be building a rifle for themselves. I asked if he's going to use a 4 or 6 jaw, dual indicate to .0000" and an outboard spider. He said yes, that is what they will be doing.

Glad to hear it. I hope Biden doesn't crash the country first.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: ntxtrapper] #8798892 02/10/23 02:17 AM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by ntxtrapper

^^^^^^

I have a full titanium with SS blast baffle solvent trap I form 1’d it works ok but it’s also 1.5” OD and 5” long so very small. It does suppress but it’s barely hearing safe on a 10.5” SBR 556. I bored it out so I can shoot up to 30cal out of it so I’ll try it on my new micro 300 build which is a 5.5” barrel see if it’s any quieter.

[Linked Image]

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: KRoyal] #8799749 02/11/23 05:56 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by KRoyal

^^^^^^

I have a full titanium with SS blast baffle solvent trap I form 1’d it works ok but it’s also 1.5” OD and 5” long so very small. It does suppress but it’s barely hearing safe on a 10.5” SBR 556. I bored it out so I can shoot up to 30cal out of it so I’ll try it on my new micro 300 build which is a 5.5” barrel see if it’s any quieter.

Asking a lot for a small suppressor to quiet a 10.5 inch 223.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: rickt300] #8799800 02/11/23 08:42 PM
KRoyal Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Online Sleepy
Texoma Legend
Originally Posted by KRoyal

^^^^^^

Asking a lot for a small suppressor to quiet a 10.5 inch 223.

I agree my big 8.5”x1.625” 30 cal Phantom doesn’t make it very quiet either.

[Linked Image]

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: KRoyal] #8801162 02/13/23 10:48 PM
R
rickt300 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

A 223 in anything shorter than 18 inches is going to be loud, a 16 inch barreled AR with a bird cage muzzle device is louder than I want to listen to much. A 10.5 inch barreled 223 is the devil!

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: rickt300] #8811180 03/02/23 01:55 PM
H
Hogflyer Offline
Tracker
Tracker
H
Hello all, i will agree to that! I just got a PSA .223 upper on a 10.5 barrel, from a web special they had couple weeks ago,
great little shooter, but my sound meter goes off the table when trying to record the actuall noise level.
Perfect compact toy trying to out of truck, chasing pigs at night, have a holosun green dot, ideal and very handy!

Im pleased, now trying to find a better recipe on a lower velocity round to use.

shoot safe....

"Buy more ammo, save it for a rainy day."
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: Hogflyer] #8820931 03/20/23 02:33 PM
M
MichaelL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Hogflyer
Hello all, i will agree to that! I just got a PSA .223 upper on a 10.5 barrel, from a web special they had couple weeks ago,
great little shooter, but my sound meter goes off the table when trying to record the actual noise level.
Perfect compact toy trying to out of truck, chasing pigs at night, have a holosun green dot, ideal and very handy!

I'm pleased, now trying to find a better recipe on a lower velocity round to use.

shoot safe....

The .223 round isn't going to work as well if you load for lower velocity. And it's not going to be any quieter either. You can put a can on it and make it "better" but shooting supersonic through a can still has the report of the bullet breaking the sound barrier. It's definitely easier on the ears though.

Some companies claim that they have sub's that will cycle in an AR but the energy of the bullet is in the 245 ft/lb range at relatively close distances. Personally, I wouldn't want to get hit by a .223 round that still had that much energy but hogs are tough.

The real problem with lowering velocity is going to come from how your AR operates. If you want to shoot supersonic and subsonic you'll need an adjustable gas block OR build an upper for each. I'm not an AR expert. I've built a few of various calibers and I've come to realize that the AR needs "things" to be right for it to cycle reliably. I don't reload for my AR's the same as I do my bolt guns. It's a different animal.

I've got a .300 BLK in bolt and AR. I haven't spent much time with the AR but the bolt gun is pretty quiet with a can on it. Neither is a long range gun but both will do a good job on hogs at 50 yards. Not too bad at 100 either.

Hogs get offended if you shoot them with a noisy gun. Be kind to hogs, shoot suppressed
Ham operator: NE5U
Photos
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: J.G.] #8820942 03/20/23 02:52 PM
M
MichaelL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M

This guy Did a whole series on building an AR lower a few years ago. It's been long enough that I don't recall if he built the upper too. I remember him saying that he built and registered two. Joe is in Austin, TX. He uses a manual mill and lathe and a CNC in his shop. His company builds some kind of high precision medical devices. The man can single point thread a #2 screw. He's not the only machinist on YT that uses a manual mill and cnc mill, just one that I tend to watch when he puts out a new video.

Hogs get offended if you shoot them with a noisy gun. Be kind to hogs, shoot suppressed
Photos
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: Uncle Zeek] #8820973 03/20/23 03:26 PM
M
MichaelL Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Originally Posted by Uncle Zeek
Originally Posted by GusWayne
Anyone know any shop making these here in Tx and selling them without a stamp?

Haven't thought about this new law in awhile and was wondering how all that turned out

ATF issued a letter on this topic awhile ago. Pretty hard-line stance. Don't see them backing down unless the pending case gets to SCOTUS

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/texas-open-letter-hb-957/download

Mike, with Dead Air, was at Lethal Weapons Texas. I asked him if he thought suppressors would ever be "released from prison". Both he and the guy working the table with him both very quickly said no. I didn't bring up the "common use test" but I wonder if that could be used to get can's out of atf prison. My Sandman-L and Mask took 9 months for approval. I was so used to being irritated with the wait time I bought another Sandman-L, a Primal, and a Ghost just so I could hold on to the irritation a bit longer. I kind of want another Mask but I'd have to buy another .22 pistol with a threaded barrel... nidea

Photos
Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8821075 03/20/23 06:33 PM
B
blkt2 Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
B
The NFA needs to come down. It was passed on lie and the authority that Congress passed it under was under their taxation authority and there have been multiple Supreme Court ruling since then that a tax can not be applied to a constitutional right. Even when they discussed the legislation they made it explicitly clear that the second amendment was an individual right and that they were not treading on it but instead they were only exercising their taxation authority.

Re: The new suppressor law [Re: GusWayne] #8913702 09/08/23 03:18 PM
M
machinist Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
M
I was able to machine on a journal of a 20 million dollar a generator rotor on a lathe that we built just todo turbine/generator machining. My tolerance was +/- .oo1 I believe that I could easily make a suppressor in our Cincinnati American lathe.

some people like silver and gold
I like brass and lead with a little powder in between
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide