Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8769773 12/30/22 02:11 AM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Ya got to read the contract to spot those weasel words. Look close at the Force Majeure section. See what an Act of God doesn’t cover. That’s a good place to start.

Yes, we have insurance. Wouldn’t be without it. But I fear surprises. I think I have it all covered…maybe.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8769937 12/30/22 05:02 AM
P_102 Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
You need to sit with a Allstate person and have them POINT OUT where it says all that in your policy…..

Do not trifle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8769966 12/30/22 11:09 AM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
In 2002 when Toyota started selling the four door Tacoma in America, I wanted one. Found one in silver with 4X4 and the TRD Off Road Package. Negotiated a price and paid for it. Got it insured. The insurance deal I cut was to insure the 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD. I sold my Jeep Scrambler for $12,500 and decided I would set up my Taco to better serve my needs. Went out and had had a locker installed on the front differential. This required the addition of a quite handy on board air compressor. Also thought a front end grill would be a nice touch. Turned out an 8,000 pound Warn winch fit quite well in that there grill guard. In short order, it became apparent the stock tires would not fill the bill and they were replaced with something more aggressive, more plies and at a higher cost. Upon completion of all of this, the insurance company still owed me for, get this, a 2002 stock Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the TRD Off Road Package.

Later on I sold this unit and repurchased it 6 months later. The interim owner had changed out the factory wheels. The insurance company owed me for the stock ones, not the higher costing upgraded wheels. Out of his goodwill, Klappenbach took a Blackwell high rack and modified it so it would snugly bolt into the bed. Came out nice and no telling what that would have cost conventionally. The insurance company still owed me for one stock 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the TRD Off Road Package.

This ain't no rocket surgery peoples. Somes add value to stuff all the time (think side by sides here), never tell their agent and then act miffed when coverage is not appropriate at the time insurance is needed most and that would be at time of claim. If you were to add solar or add a room to your home and never report it to your agent, should that system or additional room be covered if the house were to be destroyed? Adding on coverage for additional equipment is just not that expensive. I have found when presented with these rather nominal costs, most decide not to pay for it. People shouldn't expect to get something they don't pay for and if they do, it means somebody else is footing the tab.

I have no idea what you are talking about concerning the windshield. Side note - I bet we haven't sold a policy with a $250 deductible in several years.

Last edited by Hudbone; 12/30/22 12:03 PM.
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8769969 12/30/22 11:26 AM
GasGuzzler Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I said the same thing earlier but without sounding like a jerk.

Insurance is a scam for most of us, those with bad or lazy agents/agencies. It's on us to find a better vendor though. Can't blame the universe.

Pass the gravy.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: GasGuzzler] #8769972 12/30/22 11:45 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

Insurance is a scam for most of us, those with bad or lazy agents/agencies. It's on us to find a better vendor though. Can't blame the universe.

About 5 years ago they gave me like $32K for roof, stain fence, new gutters, fix some screens, reseal some panes of glass.

I had only been in the house for about 5 years.

I have found Home Owners to be a pretty good deal for me. But again I don't go with the lowest on block company and have been with my agent/company for 30 plus years, I am with State Farm and they have been great from autos to boat repairs.

The small price I have to pay for the payout I get it seems like a hell of deal for me. My auto insurance is stupid cheap on my vehicles, and Homeowner's seems fair to me or even a bargain.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: GasGuzzler] #8769977 12/30/22 12:13 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by GasGuzzler

My office paid out millions this year, last year, the year before. The bet here is the insurance companies are more likely to get "scammed" than visa versa. - just sayen.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Greg] #8769983 12/30/22 12:35 PM
S
Stump_jumper Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Greg
My home and auto are both up on Jan 7, so I spent yesterday working with a few. I knew the huge increase Allstate was giving me was too much. Going to save $2365 a year by going with Progressive for Auto and Mercury for home. And that’s apples to apples. Talk about paying to shop around!

I try to get several quotes at least every other year. With the increases I was looking at this year I got 4. I always let my agent know what I am doing and give her a chance to also requote it. This she was able to keep mymonthly payment almost flat ($3 increase) by getting Safeco to requote based on my perfect credit score and loyalty.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Greg] #8770083 12/30/22 02:52 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
My home and auto are both up on Jan 7, so I spent yesterday working with a few. I knew the huge increase Allstate was giving me was too much. Going to save $2365 a year by going with Progressive for Auto and Mercury for home. And that’s apples to apples. Talk about paying to shop around!

While I am not a fan of Allstate, How is Mercury?

I have found many of the smaller HomeOwners Insurance companies weasel out of paying

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770086 12/30/22 02:55 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Hudbone has made good points. I griped about those weasel words, but I never said what really matters. What matters is that you, the buyer, just need to know exactly what is covered and what is not.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770138 12/30/22 04:09 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
It is tough though - you don't always know what you need to know.

I do know this, people want to pay for an insurance Kia and want to collect like its a Caddy.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: RedRanger] #8770144 12/30/22 04:17 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by RedRanger

I have found many of the smaller HomeOwners Insurance companies weasel out of paying

Yeah, I’m not sure yet. The brokers I was working with both said they only deal with “A” rated insurance companies and that Mercury has been around since the early 60’s. Guess we are about to find out. $2365 is a big enough number for me to find out.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Greg] #8770145 12/30/22 04:20 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H

Yeah, I’m not sure yet. The brokers I was working with both said they only deal with “A” rated insurance companies and that Mercury has been around since the early 60’s. Guess we are about to find out. $2365 is a big enough number for me to find out.

and that is what it too often gets down to

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Hudbone] #8770183 12/30/22 05:32 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Hudbone

and that is what it too often gets down to

Hud, it sounds like you have experience in the insurance game. Do you have any info on Mercury?

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Hudbone] #8770194 12/30/22 05:53 PM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
In 2002 when Toyota started selling the four door Tacoma in America, I wanted one. Found one in silver with 4X4 and the TRD Off Road Package. Negotiated a price and paid for it. Got it insured. The insurance deal I cut was to insure the 2002 Toyota Tacoma TRD. I sold my Jeep Scrambler for $12,500 and decided I would set up my Taco to better serve my needs. Went out and had had a locker installed on the front differential. This required the addition of a quite handy on board air compressor. Also thought a front end grill would be a nice touch. Turned out an 8,000 pound Warn winch fit quite well in that there grill guard. In short order, it became apparent the stock tires would not fill the bill and they were replaced with something more aggressive, more plies and at a higher cost. Upon completion of all of this, the insurance company still owed me for, get this, a 2002 stock Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the TRD Off Road Package.

Later on I sold this unit and repurchased it 6 months later. The interim owner had changed out the factory wheels. The insurance company owed me for the stock ones, not the higher costing upgraded wheels. Out of his goodwill, Klappenbach took a Blackwell high rack and modified it so it would snugly bolt into the bed. Came out nice and no telling what that would have cost conventionally. The insurance company still owed me for one stock 2002 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 with the TRD Off Road Package.

This ain't no rocket surgery peoples. Somes add value to stuff all the time (think side by sides here), never tell their agent and then act miffed when coverage is not appropriate at the time insurance is needed most and that would be at time of claim. If you were to add solar or add a room to your home and never report it to your agent, should that system or additional room be covered if the house were to be destroyed? Adding on coverage for additional equipment is just not that expensive. I have found when presented with these rather nominal costs, most decide not to pay for it. People shouldn't expect to get something they don't pay for and if they do, it means somebody else is footing the tab.

I have no idea what you are talking about concerning the windshield. Side note - I bet we haven't sold a policy with a $250 deductible in several years.

Sounds a lot like my 2004 Chevy. After market bumpers, off road lights, aftermarket steps, aftermarket wheels, and wouldn’t you know it, I never told insurance but when involved in a wreck that caused all those items to be replaced it was done so without ever so much as a question.

It seems insurance agents just want to make a buck selling a policy and insurance companies want to squirrel out of paying for anything they can.

When we shop insurance we make sure the replacement value is up to par with todays numbers, never once has any agent every mentioned needing additional coverage, guess that’s part of the sales tactic.

Oh, let’s talk about the roof on my shop… it’s being replaced, it’s metal and has spray foam under it. When I inquired about them paying for the spray foam to be re sprayed I was told that’s not covered. Is that an accessory item? Should I have declared the spray foam when shopping for insurance?

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770197 12/30/22 06:00 PM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Insurance companies make damn sure to come out and find every default on a property and reduce the coverage on those defaults, so why don’t they extend that to vehicles? I mean, after all, it is insurances job to cover those items, right? Or is that just another tactic to keep money in y’all’s pockets?

Never once have I told my agent I want the bare minimum covered. I want everything I have covered so I don’t have to [censored] with this [censored] the few times I have to file a claim.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770212 12/30/22 06:23 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
If you aren’t switching insurance agents and companies every 2 years at most, you are getting hosed.

The ultimate con. Write laws to force you to have something, then give you something not worth having.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8770255 12/30/22 07:52 PM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by TXHOGSLAYER
If you aren’t switching insurance agents and companies every 2 years at most, you are getting hosed.

Wrong

I get discount for being long time member, Discount for multiply policies

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: RedRanger] #8770265 12/30/22 08:09 PM
Greg Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Wrong

It’s sure good to check. One of the quotes I got the other day was for Mercury for Auto & Home. The small discount I got by keeping the same carrier for both ended up being $243 more than when I had him break it up to Mercury for home and Progressive for auto like the other girl did. This would have been my 4th year with Allstate for home and Auto and they didn’t really start jacking the rates until last year.

Everyone’s insurance needs are different, but it really paid for me to look. And I won’t wait 4 years next time.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770274 12/30/22 08:30 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
"It seems insurance agents just want to make a buck selling a policy and insurance companies want to squirrel out of paying for anything they can."

Insurance is a three step process. You agree based on some insurance schmuck's assertions to pay for a policy (ie: a uni-lateral contract), underwriting approves what you agreed with the schmuck on and then the adjuster comes in to limit the company's loss as per the contractual specifications you agreed on with the schmuck.

Mercury - no know dirt on them. Have no experience with them. I do understand they are extremely sound financially.

Spray foam not being replaced - why wouldn't it be replaced? Isn't it a part of the building? Some of the stuff you come up with makes no sense (zero) to me. I understand the additional eqpt issue, but not paying for a windshield nor paying for spray foam makes no sense here. I must be missing something, but have no clue as to what it might be.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: RedRanger] #8770279 12/30/22 08:40 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Wrong

You might think you do. I have been insured by the same guy on 3 separate occasions. 2 months ago the auto policy with him was up for renewal and I saved $1600 for the year by switching it. $1600… for 1 year. He had for 1 year this time. Maybe in another year I go back to him.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: Hudbone] #8770532 12/31/22 02:15 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
"It seems insurance agents just want to make a buck selling a policy and insurance companies want to squirrel out of paying for anything they can."

Insurance is a three step process. You agree based on some insurance schmuck's assertions to pay for a policy (ie: a uni-lateral contract), underwriting approves what you agreed with the schmuck on and then the adjuster comes in to limit the company's loss as per the contractual specifications you agreed on with the schmuck.

Mercury - no know dirt on them. Have no experience with them. I do understand they are extremely sound financially.

Spray foam not being replaced - why wouldn't it be replaced? Isn't it a part of the building? Some of the stuff you come up with makes no sense (zero) to me. I understand the additional eqpt issue, but not paying for a windshield nor paying for spray foam makes no sense here. I must be missing something, but have no clue as to what it might be.

Just going off what the adjuster say.

Also not getting a new headlight since mine has a noticeable crack in it now and about an inch of water. Never had that before the storm, but according to the adjuster, that could’ve been from a rock on the road.

It’s easy to tell that these adjusters are reading from a script, ask then one question and they studder until they find someway not to replace/fix the issue.

I’ve always heard Allstate was terrible, now I’m learning firsthand just how bad they are.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770581 12/31/22 02:46 AM
G
GUTIT Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
G
Wade, I do alot of insurance claim work for many insurance companies. Have done about a dozen metal buildings and shops with storm damage and have always got the spray foam removal and replacement included, there is a certain wording that most adjusters recognize. I’ve had two that didn’t agree and I got my PA involved and in the end the customer got it paid for by insurance.

Most adjusters are decent when they meet with an experienced contractor with the customer. There are always a few though that can be difficult.

I wouldn’t settle and escalate the claim.

JMO. Take it for what you paid for it.

Stronghold Construction Group
Commercial and Residential Project Management
Managing all your construction needs
Kent@StrongholdConstructionGroupDOTcom

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770600 12/31/22 03:10 AM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by BigPig

Just going off what the adjuster say.

Also not getting a new headlight since mine has a noticeable crack in it now and about an inch of water. Never had that before the storm, but according to the adjuster, that could’ve been from a rock on the road.

It’s easy to tell that these adjusters are reading from a script, ask then one question and they studder until they find someway not to replace/fix the issue.

I’ve always heard Allstate was terrible, now I’m learning firsthand just how bad they are.

That sucks Wade. Allstate has been great to me, every claim I've made. Really surprised me a couple times. Even sent me a check for $5k for some damage that was clearly NOT covered under my policy.

Have used Progressive, Fred Loya, and Farmer's in the past and they never wanted to pay for chit, been done with them...FME it has everything to do with the chain, and who's in charge.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: TXHOGSLAYER] #8770731 12/31/22 08:02 AM
R
RedRanger Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R

Wrong

You might think you do. I have been insured by the same guy on 3 separate occasions. 2 months ago the auto policy with him was up for renewal and I saved $1600 for the year by switching it. $1600… for 1 year. He had for 1 year this time. Maybe in another year I go back to him.

Yea, I don't play games with my insurance. I have done thousand of home owners claims myself, I see these poor people get jacked over by their homeowners companies and deny claims, usually it these small unknow companies like Hippo, Progressive, etc

I don't skimp on my insurance, I don't skimp on tools, tires, etc. When I need them I want them to come thru.

I find insurance cheap compared to what they cover, I also keep a 1 million umbrella policy as well, that is dirt cheap

I have been with same company and agent 35 years now, I get all discounts on homewoners/auto. I get mutliply policy, long term, Alarm, and some other discount where the police come out and check your house and confirm the locks and door jambs are up to a certain level to get another discount.

Re: Insurance stupidity [Re: BigPig] #8770732 12/31/22 08:41 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Yup, insurance is no place to skimp. We have a maxed out $1 mil auto policy and a $1 mil liability policy on our property. If we owned a home, we'd be hanging out under an umbrella.

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide