Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: jcarring99] #8761156 12/18/22 09:39 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by jcarring99
LOL for selfish reasons I hate the portal. Things will clear up more Wednesday. I feel like my son would have had a few more offers if it wasn't for the portal and covid didn't help any either. Next year will be a more normal year for high school recruiting

It’s hurt D2 programs, pre portal the top D2 programs were predominantly unreleased D1 transfer that didn’t want to set out a season. Thus why the last few years has had such large growth in FCS teams. I think ever kid should have a transfer option before Junior year. After that you should be locked into the old sit out a year rule or transfer down. IMO

Why I said earlier on the PWO he may be better off going and making a D1 team as PWO and then entering portal as a D1 OL if he didn’t like it. Very hard to go the other way. I’m also very vocal about majors and education. College athletes have a huge leg up in resiliency, and I think employers see that.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761157 12/18/22 09:43 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by Roll-Tide
LOL for selfish reasons I hate the portal. Things will clear up more Wednesday. I feel like my son would have had a few more offers if it wasn't for the portal and covid didn't help any either. Next year will be a more normal year for high school recruiting

You’re 100 percent correct. It’s killing basketball scholarships.

Try being a girls college D1 coach in any sport. One of my friends is D1 volleyball coach. It has smoked recruiting and really suxs when you find the top un-recruited talent, coach them up then you loose them as soon as you get them good.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761159 12/18/22 09:44 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Wow Bobo, the comment about one private school FW All Saints 5 star OL that is portal transferring from Bama is what got private schools can't play or hang? You sure ran with it like a Redfish with a mullet. Too funny. I never said private schools can't play, did say that 5 star OL was overrated and think it has played out as such based on what I've heard and read from Bama insiders. That was the empetus to my original post and he did play in the private school ranks truthfully.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8761171 12/18/22 09:55 PM
J
jcarring99 Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
I'm very aware of Episcopal and their championship, only losing to SOC and beating Aledo both early in season when Aledo was breaking in a new QB and SOC was struggling. Those two schools played very differently after week 3-4, but is what it is. The China Spring win was a good win. Do I think TX private schools can week to week versus Katy, Westlake Duncanville North Shore Southlake Desoto Lake Travis nope. Can they beat a good team here or there yes.

So a school with 500 kids in HS grades, beats two 4A and 5A state UIL champs and damn near a third and you got an excuse? I wouldn’t Say SOC was struggling since 2 of those losses were against Desoto and Duncanville 6A state champs. Every year TAPPS has a dominate program some where, beating teams with 3x the enrollment

Of course they aren’t going to go against 6a school with 3800+ students. With that said they shouldn’t be able to compete again 5A or 4A UIL programs but they do. Well there is 6A Jesuit but that’s a different breed.

LOL we played Jesuit and got our [censored] handed to us in the first round of the playoffs. However, by in large the vast majority of private schools are made up of dudes who don't really have a chance at a public school to play. We have several around here like Pantego Christian, Grace Prep, Oakridge etc. Those are the private schools he's talking about. Sure there are some elite private schools that can compete against anyone but the vast majority of private schools can only compete against other private schools and those players are sometimes a little more difficult to evaluate as the competition isn't very good. You might have a dominant kid in private school ball who if you put them in a decent 5 or 6A district might just be another guy.

Jesuit is whole other beast. 1500 student all boys school.

The statement early was private school guys don’t make it in College and can’t compete in UIL programs. If you get picked up on a D1 scholarship you can compete at 4/5/6A UIL….. But now they recruit and stomp UIL 4 and 5a state Champs but apparently can’t compete. Somebody needs to pick a side on the argument. My statement was clear TAPPS has a few dominate programs that can compete. Upper end TAPPS private schools size wise, compete at a muncher higher level than their enrollment. Most those enrollments have them at or <3A. How can you compete at a such a high level with out the enrollment. It’s simple you are either way better coached or have better athletes or both.

Most TAPPS schools offer a much higher level of education, since most have college graduates rates of 90% -100%. There are some programs that capitalize on that and are really good at attracting freshmen and sophomore transfers. TAPPS has the same or stricter transfer rules as UIL.

The vast majority of private school guys can't compete with public schools. That's a fact. There are a few who can and actually petitioned to be placed in public school districts. You are correct though in that if the guy is good enough to get a D1 scholarship he can play in any program anywhere in the nation. DI guys can play anywhere.

Let's put it this way. My son had multiple teammates leave for private schools for athletic reasons. They knew they didn't have a chance to play or at least not a chance to play until their senior year in football and baseball primarily. They left for private schools that had less competition and were able to play. Had they stayed at Arlington High they probably would not have played. That goes on all the time. You're elite private schools are few and far between. You can certainly name a handful but most of them are not capable of competing against 5 and 6A public programs. If you are a DI caliber guy you aren't going to go to Pantego Christian or Grace Prep or Oakridge. Those kind of kids go to Jesuit or what ever elite private school there is for them to choose from.

There's no picking a side of the argument. You just pick the side of what you want. You can't just willy nilly go from public school to public school but you can go to any private school you want to

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Email: joel@carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Carrington Roofing & Construction, LLC
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
www.carringtonconstructiondfw.com
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761175 12/18/22 09:58 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Well said Jcarring

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: jcarring99] #8761180 12/18/22 10:04 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

The vast majority of private school guys can't compete with public schools. That's a fact. There are a few who can and actually petitioned to be placed in public school districts. You are correct though in that if the guy is good enough to get a D1 scholarship he can play in any program anywhere in the nation. DI guys can play anywhere.

Let's put it this way. My son had multiple teammates leave for private schools for athletic reasons. They knew they didn't have a chance to play or at least not a chance to play until their senior year in football and baseball primarily. They left for private schools that had less competition and were able to play. Had they stayed at Arlington High they probably would not have played. That goes on all the time. You're elite private schools are few and far between. You can certainly name a handful but most of them are not capable of competing against 5 and 6A public programs. If you are a DI caliber guy you aren't going to go to Pantego Christian or Grace Prep or Oakridge. Those kind of kids go to Jesuit or what ever elite private school there is for them to choose from.

There's no picking a side of the argument. You just pick the side of what you want. You can't just willy nilly go from public school to public school but you can go to any private school you want to

I don’t disagree there is a bottom end on TAPPS schools just like there is lower level on UIL schools. Quick glance oak ridge is K-12 w/700 kids. So high school probably has 200 kids. So basically it’s a UIL 2A school.

Upper end of TAPPS is obviously competitive.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: DQ Kid] #8761182 12/18/22 10:05 PM
J
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Wow Bobo, the comment about one private school FW All Saints 5 star OL that is portal transferring from Bama is what got private schools can't play or hang? You sure ran with it like a Redfish with a mullet. Too funny. I never said private schools can't play, did say that 5 star OL was overrated and think it has played out as such based on what I've heard and read from Bama insiders. That was the empetus to my original post and he did play in the private school ranks truthfully.

If he played against private schools only then yeah it could have been harder to evaluate him. He certainly had measurables but unless you are playing against elite competition it's hard to extrapolate what that looks like in college. It's hard period. Some pan out some don't. Private school ball can certainly make you look better than you actually are though unless you are competing against the best week in and week out

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Financing options click: https://app.gethearth.com/flyers/carrington-roofing-construction-llc/joel
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761183 12/18/22 10:06 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Is he the coastal Carolina guy?
Portal is important for immediate needs.

Michigan got another DE. He played at Bama then went to a small college.

His name was Anoma. But changed it to something else. Been a good fit.

Eyabi Okie I think. Yes he is coming back for another year. Went to Houston then UTEP?

Stewart is the guy from Coastal.

Also got 2 OL.

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8761188 12/18/22 10:16 PM
J
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J

I don’t disagree there is a bottom end on TAPPS schools just like there is lower level on UIL schools. Quick glance oak ridge is K-12 w/700 kids. So high school probably has 200 kids. So basically it’s a UIL 2A school.

What upper end TAPPS are there really that could compete with Aledo, SOC, North Shore, Duncanville, Desoto etc? Just EP? Jesuit would get their doors blown off by them. Are there other ones that are better than Jesuit? I don't keep up with private schools much.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761191 12/18/22 10:20 PM
Roll-Tide Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Back to Brockermeyer twins.

I kept waiting for Tommy to break into the lineup. Just couldn’t do it. He’s bigger than James. James decided to stay at Bama. Tommy probably going to tcu.

Tommy I believe was highest rated tackle in country. But missed an entire season in high school, to injury. Lost a lot of weight.

Obviously has a huge advantage with dad being Blake Brockermeyer. Shocked they didn’t go to Texas with other brother.

Maybe he needed a change. Maybe coaches didn’t evaluate him correctly. Maybe he just wasn’t that good. Maybe he’s soft. Who knows.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8761193 12/18/22 10:23 PM
J
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J

It’s hurt D2 programs, pre portal the top D2 programs were predominantly unreleased D1 transfer that didn’t want to set out a season. Thus why the last few years has had such large growth in FCS teams. I think ever kid should have a transfer option before Junior year. After that you should be locked into the old sit out a year rule or transfer down. IMO

Why I said earlier on the PWO he may be better off going and making a D1 team as PWO and then entering portal as a D1 OL if he didn’t like it. Very hard to go the other way. I’m also very vocal about majors and education. College athletes have a huge leg up in resiliency, and I think employers see that.

The problem with the portal is that you have to have film. No film no offers. So what if he walks on and doesn't see the field? You can't just enter the portal and expect offers at least not from other DI schools you know? I think we are comfortable with Angelo St or West Texas A&M or Missouri Western or East Central University where he has a chance to play a ton and win. Having a chance to play and win a bunch of games is more important to him than playing at DI and getting little to no playing time and losing. Obviously Sam Houston is probably going to win a bunch of games but the path to playing time could take longer if it ever happens at all. My son is not one of those DI or nothing types. I have to say the Angelo St game we went to was awesome and West Texas may have the best DII game atmosphere anywhere. I'm not pushing him in any direction. He's the one playing not me lol. He did put Sam Houston at the bottom of the list though

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761194 12/18/22 10:23 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

I kept waiting for Tommy to break into the lineup. Just couldn’t do it. He’s bigger than James. James decided to stay at Bama. Tommy probably going to tcu.

Tommy I believe was highest rated tackle in country. But missed an entire season in high school, to injury. Lost a lot of weight.

Obviously has a huge advantage with dad being Blake Brockermeyer. Shocked they didn’t go to Texas with other brother.

Maybe he needed a change. Maybe coaches didn’t evaluate him correctly. Maybe he just wasn’t that good. Maybe he’s soft. Who knows.

Thanks Roll, you're one of Bama insiders I listen to....

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761198 12/18/22 10:27 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nationwide private schools have produced a lot of talent. Not what we generally think about.

St John Bosco came to town from California and destroyed Allen this year.
St Bishop Gorman in Vegas has been crushing it for awhile.
Mater Dei in California produced Bryce Young and several others.
St Thomas Aquinas in Florida is producing every year.
No need to discuss img academy

But these players are recruited.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761201 12/18/22 10:31 PM
J
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
There are 1500 FBS kids in the portal now and growing. That doesn't include FCS, DII, NAIA, DIII. I heard the number was somewhere north of 6000 kids in the portal. That's insane. Are there really that many kids who are that impatient or made a mistake on who they committed to initially?

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761204 12/18/22 10:33 PM
J
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
J
Nationwide private schools have produced a lot of talent. Not what we generally think about.

Yeah the elite private schools are a different deal. They are almost like junior colleges. Of course there are private schools who are great. You're every day run of the mill private school not so much.

Joel Carrington
214-770-7978
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761206 12/18/22 10:35 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D

Yes very aware of those and Saint Ignatius in Cleveland, OH too. The one in LA too where most of Booty boys played but as you said, those were in reality mini-colleges playing high school ball. Most of those states have very minimal UIL type restrictions governing play between private and public schools too. It has been well documented and written about ad naseum.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761211 12/18/22 10:44 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Don’t forget St Bishop Sycamore. Who was a made up team.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761219 12/18/22 10:54 PM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Nebraska making moves.

Number 1 recruit, QB Rialto de committed from Ohio State. Lot of speculation he goes to Nebraska.

[Linked Image]

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: jcarring99] #8761221 12/18/22 10:57 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

What upper end TAPPS are there really that could compete with Aledo, SOC, North Shore, Duncanville, Desoto etc? Just EP? Jesuit would get their doors blown off by them. Are there other ones that are better than Jesuit? I don't keep up with private schools much.

Normally most the TAPPS division one schools are pretty competitive. They all normally play well above enrollment. EP just turned in the Bishop lynch and Jesuit of the 90’s sending 4-8 guys D1 year in year out. Hard to say this year I haven’t followed real close but probably not many. There are always 2-3 across the state that pop-up and play well above enrollment but obviously not 6A. Kind of like TCA-cedar hill a few years ago. True 6A competitive team, that’s hard with depth needed year in year out to compete with schools w/2-5k kids.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761222 12/18/22 11:01 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Alot of big out of state private schools aren’t always a product of recruitment just a better, safer option then the State school. Texas ever goes to voucher program it will be same here.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761224 12/18/22 11:01 PM
S
S.A. hunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Word was that Herman botched the recruitment.

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8761245 12/18/22 11:19 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T

Normally most the TAPPS division one schools are pretty competitive. They all normally play well above enrollment. EP just turned in the Bishop lynch and Jesuit of the 90’s sending 4-8 guys D1 year in year out. Hard to say this year I haven’t followed real close but probably not many. There are always 2-3 across the state that pop-up and play well above enrollment but obviously not 6A. Kind of like TCA-cedar hill a few years ago. True 6A competitive team, that’s hard with depth needed year in year out to compete with schools w/2-5k kids.

What does any of this have to do with the college transfer portal? confused2

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761248 12/18/22 11:22 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Nada anymore

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761303 12/19/22 12:29 AM
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
I think we’re done. A Lamborghini and Louis Vuitton purse accessory to your uniform.

[Linked Image]

Re: Portal watch thread. [Re: Roll-Tide] #8761322 12/19/22 12:43 AM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I have an odd feeling Deion actually does it, turns CU back in a relevant program.

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide