Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Bullet puller [Re: redchevy] #8783593 01/19/23 01:58 PM
R
redchevy Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I ended up going with the hornady die. Works ok but have nothing to compare it to. It wouldn’t pull many without messing up the bullets. I started seating them a little deeper to break the bullet loose, most make a pretty significant pop and then pull easier but still not quite what I expected.

There is corrosion in the necks and most have some kind of clumping of the powder. Powder looks similar in grain shape/size to h4831, but no clue what it is.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Bullet puller [Re: Judd] #8783789 01/19/23 06:53 PM
R
RiverRider Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by RiverRider
Originally Posted by redchevy
So far planning on pulling down some old 270 factory ammo that has proved to not function and some old 300 wby loads with 220 hornady round nose that I do not intend to use going to see what they do in the blackout.

If you're gonna do that with old factory ammo, do us a favor and pay close attention to see if you can detect cold weld, then let us know what you observe. If I had any factory ammo I might just check that out myself...it's one of those questions that has gone unanswered for a long, long time (at least for me). I asked one of the factories (Federal, I think) what they do to prevent it and they acted like they'd never heard of it. Might be top secret stuff.

I’ve proven it to myself…I don’t know if it’s cold weld but something goes on.

Take a case and seat one today but seat it long, come back in a month or two and finish up the seating. I think you’ll prove something is going on to yourself too. wink

Oh, I don't need to be convinced. I'm sure something DOES go on. But here's my most recent experience regarding such:

It seems I loaded up many hundreds of rounds of 5.56 for "strictly social" purposes, maybe eight or nine years ago. So, due to the repurposing of several ARs, there were some optics moved between rifles so a couple of them had to be sighted in once again. During those eight or nine years some new magazines were added to the crowd and these were what I had with me for sighting in. It was found that a percentage of this decade-old ammo was *just long enough* to prevent proper feeding and I would have to go through and seat bullets deeper by about 15 thousandths in about 3000 rounds of ammo. There went a Saturday afternoon...anyway, not a single round popped or offered any resistance to seating bullets just a tad deeper. Not one...and some of the brass had been tumbled in stainless media. I'm not complaining, but I'd sure like to know the how's and whys.

[Linked Image]

"Arguing with you always makes me thirsty."

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bullet puller [Re: redchevy] #8783792 01/19/23 06:58 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
I'll add "the WHATs" to that wishlist if I may.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bullet puller [Re: RiverRider] #8783801 01/19/23 07:07 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by redchevy
So far planning on pulling down some old 270 factory ammo that has proved to not function and some old 300 wby loads with 220 hornady round nose that I do not intend to use going to see what they do in the blackout.

If you're gonna do that with old factory ammo, do us a favor and pay close attention to see if you can detect cold weld, then let us know what you observe. If I had any factory ammo I might just check that out myself...it's one of those questions that has gone unanswered for a long, long time (at least for me). I asked one of the factories (Federal, I think) what they do to prevent it and they acted like they'd never heard of it. Might be top secret stuff.

I’ve proven it to myself…I don’t know if it’s cold weld but something goes on.

Take a case and seat one today but seat it long, come back in a month or two and finish up the seating. I think you’ll prove something is going on to yourself too. wink

Oh, I don't need to be convinced. I'm sure something DOES go on. But here's my most recent experience regarding such:

It seems I loaded up many hundreds of rounds of 5.56 for "strictly social" purposes, maybe eight or nine years ago. So, due to the repurposing of several ARs, there were some optics moved between rifles so a couple of them had to be sighted in once again. During those eight or nine years some new magazines were added to the crowd and these were what I had with me for sighting in. It was found that a percentage of this decade-old ammo was *just long enough* to prevent proper feeding and I would have to go through and seat bullets deeper by about 15 thousandths in about 3000 rounds of ammo. There went a Saturday afternoon...anyway, not a single round popped or offered any resistance to seating bullets just a tad deeper. Not one...and some of the brass had been tumbled in stainless media. I'm not complaining, but I'd sure like to know the how's and whys.

Were these all brass cases and copper jacketed bullets?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Bullet puller [Re: redchevy] #8783806 01/19/23 07:11 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Actually, I meant to post about pulling bullets as I had to break down 275 rounds yesterday. I got sidetracked by the "cold weld" discussion, slightly. Using a Hornady cam-lock puller I had no problem getting the job done. Someone wanted those 70-grain Accubonds much more than I wanted to shoot them at pigs (I find myself reaching for something in 6mm AR when night hogs are top of mind). I pulled one round with the inertial puller just to refresh my hatred of that tool...the cam-lock is SO much better. These rounds had been loaded two or three years, and again no "pop."

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Re: Bullet puller [Re: J.G.] #8783813 01/19/23 07:16 PM
R
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Confused
THF Trophy Hunter
R
Originally Posted by JG

Were these all brass cases and copper jacketed bullets?

Well, yeah...55 FMJs in 5.56 brass.

[Linked Image]

-Augustus McRae
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide