Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8763238 12/21/22 01:42 PM
F
Flashprism Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
F
I purchased my Kawasaki 610 new in 2012!!!
An amazing machine!!! Currently has 850 hours.

My trailer was stolen in 2014 so the mule stayed at the hunting property under a tarp since then!!

I changed the oil and filters every other year and this machine never gave me a problem!!!

2 x the battery needed replacement!!

No matter the temperature 10 degrees or 105 it always started, It's 4 wheel drive made it my go to for extracting all vehicles Trucks, cars and tractors.

I purchased a new Kawasaki FXT due to my success with 610 and will soon be selling this great reliable machine!!

Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8763775 12/22/22 01:41 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Know little about UTV’s.

However I’ve owned ATV’s for many years; 25 or so. They and a tractor are my/our only transportation over the rough country that is my property.

I started out with Yamahas . Great machines that were bullet proof but not theft proof. Due to prices, I replaced them with Hondas. Had only one problem that gave me an education. One of them wouldn’t start once it got to operating warmed up temp. Took it to 4 different dealers who had no idea what to do but charged me quite a bit of $ to analyze and try. Then I took it to Mike Street at Mikes Off Road Repair in Fort Worth. He is mainly a large 4WD repair guy and has a pretty big shop. Mike changed out the starter solenoid that fixed the problem. So where am I going with this? Dealerships seldom hire mechanics. They hire parts and oil changers and people who can do recommended maintenance; $$$, and change out obviously broken stuff. Not mechanics.

No matter what you buy, try to find a dealer with a prominent crew of professional mechanics and don’t believe the sales guy about it. If they don’t have that, you’re on your own if/when problems occur. And, on rides that are built to go off the road/trail, you will eventually have trouble.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: Best UTV [Re: Jgraider] #8763897 12/22/22 04:09 AM
J
Jgraider Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
J
Originally Posted by Jgraider
Thanks. Guess I'll change out the belt first and see.

Unfortunately the belt change didn't fix the issue. Still runs fine, doesn't stutter or stammer, just a noise that gets louder as speed increases. Not a grinding sound, but it would remind you of a gearbox that is low on fluid (which it isn't and has been running on Amsoil for a couple of years now). Any ideas as t what to do next? I appreciate it in advance.

Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8763918 12/22/22 05:08 AM
B
BigPig Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
B
Have you checked the differentials? Wheel bearings? Breaks dragging? There are sliders with in the clutches that get worn, easy to replace and cheap. Start eliminating the easy items.

Last edited by BigPig; 12/22/22 05:08 AM.
Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8765258 12/23/22 05:24 PM
gonefishing888 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
A lot of good points here, believe the Kawasakis and Hondas are the most reliable. Some of the Polaris and other offerings may be offer some better power alternatives for modding however. Some of the Dynojet stuff with their power commanders nicely bump some of this stuff up too.

Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8768534 12/28/22 01:06 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
I can see that few folks on here know much about UTVs. Kubota hands down is the most reliable.

Re: Best UTV [Re: don k] #8768599 12/28/22 02:52 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
That’s true, and why I still have mine after approx 14 or 15 years after buying it used. That said, it isn’t a contender for a lot of folks because it isn’t a fun type machine. It’s slow. It isn’t particularly comfortable. And on it’s best day it isn’t pretty. Bottom line, it’s just a Kubota tractor that doesn’t look like a tractor. That’s exactly why I have one. Bulletproof and reliable.

I will admit that sometimes, when I drive to get the mail, I do wish it would go fast

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Best UTV [Re: don k] #8768731 12/28/22 05:53 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by don k
I can see that few folks on here know much about UTVs. Kubota hands down is the most reliable.

Slow, has the suspension of a shopping cart, loud and ugly.

But hey, Keith Richard’s will be driving one to the cockroach happy hour after the nuclear holocaust so there is that.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Best UTV [Re: txtrophy85] #8768917 12/28/22 11:07 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

But hey, Keith Richard’s will be driving one to the cockroach happy hour after the nuclear holocaust so there is that.

You must be one of the folks that don't know squat.

Re: Best UTV [Re: don k] #8768929 12/28/22 11:25 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Or your bubble is just really tiny and you refuse to look in a mirror. I personally wouldn’t own something that barely makes it up graded cliche FS roads in NM and CO. Completely defeats the purpose for me to own one. You are definitely their target consumer though, we are glad you are happy with it.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Best UTV [Re: don k] #8769074 12/29/22 03:11 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

Two 3010 Mules as ranch rides, plus a Polaris 700 and now have a Can Am HD 8 and a Mule FTX.

Rode thousands of miles in UTV’s over the past several years.

Kubota is reliable, no one disputes that. But that’s about the only thing it shines at. Its not fast, not quiet, not smooth and not really all that capable once you get off the ranch road. Those items are important to many when selecting a UTV.

There are other aspects to consider besides being bomb proof reliability wise. On top of that, whatever edge it has in reliability does not make the other brands unreliable. The only reliability issues I had was having finicky carbs in the old Mules with ethanol gas and in my can am when I had water contaminated fuel. Still ran once it was going but starting was an issue.

Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8769860 12/30/22 03:19 AM
D
dlrz71 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
First year with a Can Am defender HD9 and loved it.

Re: Best UTV [Re: txtrophy85] #8770377 12/30/22 11:40 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter

Two 3010 Mules as ranch rides, plus a Polaris 700 and now have a Can Am HD 8 and a Mule FTX.

Rode thousands of miles in UTV’s over the past several years.

Kubota is reliable, no one disputes that. But that’s about the only thing it shines at. Its not fast, not quiet, not smooth and not really all that capable once you get off the ranch road. Those items are important to many when selecting a UTV.

There are other aspects to consider besides being bomb proof reliability wise. On top of that, whatever edge it has in reliability does not make the other brands unreliable. The only reliability issues I had was having finicky carbs in the old Mules with ethanol gas and in my can am when I had water contaminated fuel. Still ran once it was going but starting was an issue.

with all due respect you are wrong - I have owned 3 Polaris - and 2 Kubota - and been in many other models - it all depends on your use of course but for deer lease in Texas? Kubota is bad [censored] - mine is quiet, very smooth and been through some tough country - maybe your experience is from years past but the current models are awesome - would not trade mine -- and I will add that the Kubota cab is second to none - dust proof tight - 1100 hours on it in rough country and all I have done is change the oil every year - it is an awesome machine IMO -end of the day??? Ford or Chevy??

Last edited by tlk; 12/30/22 11:54 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8770882 12/31/22 04:15 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Texas deer lease is a broad term. What is great for hunting an east Texas pine plantation may not be what you want when hunting a large ranch in Sanderson or Sonora. Depending on location a Kubota cab UTV may be the best choice for a ranch rig. In other locations I could be a poor choice compared to other models.

What fits you best is gonna depend on the type of use is typical for you.

Agree on Kubota having a great cab and it being air tight.

Kubota has a few new models that may be better, the ones I’m familiar with are the single cab diesel models with the hydrostatic transmissions.

Re: Best UTV [Re: txtrophy85] #8770935 12/31/22 05:49 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Texas deer lease is a broad term. What is great for hunting an east Texas pine plantation may not be what you want when hunting a large ranch in Sanderson or Sonora. Depending on location a Kubota cab UTV may be the best choice for a ranch rig. In other locations I could be a poor choice compared to other models.

What fits you best is gonna depend on the type of use is typical for you.

Agree on Kubota having a great cab and it being air tight.

Kubota has a few new models that may be better, the ones I’m familiar with are the single cab diesel models with the hydrostatic transmissions.

I agree where you plan to use a buggy can determine which model fits your needs the best. I just know for my use I like my Kubota alot - have had zero issues with it, smooth ride, great gas mileage, etc.

You can't fix stupid
Re: Best UTV [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8770966 12/31/22 06:59 PM
T
TXHOGSLAYER Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
Lol, there is not but I did find humor in the idea of you and BP racing to the stand @ 75mph, 200 decimals and 20” suspension travel and an 8’ rooster tail of dirt

You paint quite the picture… roflmao

LETS GO BRANDON
Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8786432 01/23/23 04:31 PM
T
tdbduckhunter Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
T
Question. My Polaris 800 takes a second to start moving when I hit the gas. Meaning rpm’s have to get up for it to start moving. Is this normal?

Re: Best UTV [Re: tdbduckhunter] #8809456 02/27/23 09:07 PM
R
roadkill54 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
R
I'm late to this conversation but anyway.....
2012 Polaris 500 SxS - still have it serviced every year. Steering bushing and rear bed bushings wore out and thats it.
Polaris 2014 SxS (2 seater) blown engine. Had been serviced twice yearly since this was my primary ranch get around. Strictly road/blind/corn stuff no jumps cliff bouncing.
Polaris 2017 SxS (4 seater) 13 months old left top front A frame axle breaks/comes apart. Service manager under breath says (design defect) seen a number of these issues. Fix it and 6 months later it does the same thing again. On top of that driving back to Houston I see a brand new Ranger with the same jacked up axle on a trailer. (Polaris corp. accepts no responsibility when I tear into them... Fixed it and sold it.
Bought a 2022 Can Am Defender HD10 1010 hrs on it now. It has run great so far. My only comment (not a negative)-seems like there is a lot of poly on all of these new machines these days. My second choice was a Mule but as has been mentioned they do ride a lot rougher.... The Can just floats over the bumps!

Just my 2 cents.....

Re: Best UTV [Re: roadkill54] #8811453 03/02/23 08:23 PM
Q
quailg Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Q
I'm a little late responding also. I own a 3 year old pro-fx and it over-heats. I have taken it back for service(Hondo,tx)several times, but they can't ever fix it. I keep the radiator blown out, etc and I have tried everything, so I'm selling it this year and going with the CanAm. The ride is good, especially loaded, but I am going with a different Company.

Re: Best UTV [Re: quailg] #8811516 03/02/23 10:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by quailg
I'm a little late responding also. I own a 3 year old pro-fx and it over-heats. I have taken it back for service(Hondo,tx)several times, but they can't ever fix it. I keep the radiator blown out, etc and I have tried everything, so I'm selling it this year and going with the CanAm. The ride is good, especially loaded, but I am going with a different Company.

spark arrester? just three bolts on muffler

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide