Re: Processing on your own [Re: LonestarCobra] #8752689 12/08/22 01:36 AM
N
Nickbyrd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by LonestarCobra
I do my own- Muscle cuts, German Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, Jerky and ground. I do wish I had a real good boudin recipe to try.

Buddy did boudin last year it was good but really mushy . Think he put the rice thru the grinder with the meat and basically just came out almost like a paste

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8752698 12/08/22 01:48 AM
S
Simple Searcher Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

After taking a 230 pound buck to a processor and getting one small box of meat, with only two packages of back strap steaks I decided it was time.
We had done all parts of processing at one point or another, so we went all in.
We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.
It is very rewarding and part of the comradery and hunting experience.

[Linked Image]

"Man is still a hunter, still a simple searcher after meat..." Robert C. Ruark
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8752747 12/08/22 02:30 AM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Q
I have always processed my own. That was how my father and grandfather used to do it. Cut, trim, grind, sausage, jerky all done by me. When I put a piece of meat on the plate I know exactly how it was handled from the time the animal died until it was cooked.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8752758 12/08/22 02:40 AM
skinnerback Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Nickbyrd
I do my own- Muscle cuts, German Sausage, Breakfast Sausage, Jerky and ground. I do wish I had a real good boudin recipe to try.

Buddy did boudin last year it was good but really mushy . Think he put the rice thru the grinder with the meat and basically just came out almost like a paste

That's not how it's done lol.

Holler when you get ready to make some boudin.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Simple Searcher] #8752768 12/08/22 02:56 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by Simple Searcher

After taking a 230 pound buck to a processor and getting one small box of meat, with only two packages of back strap steaks I decided it was time.
We had done all parts of processing at one point or another, so we went all in.
We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

I gave up on processors years ago, for a number of reasons.

Yes, it's very rewarding and with some trial & error, you can turn out a really good product.....and then you can learn and improve on that making it even better. I love the entire process. From the work during off season, the hunt, the kill, the butchering & processing, the making of various sausages & meat products, and most importantly sitting down at the kitchen table and sharing a meal with your loved ones knowing this is the deer you killed.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: skinnerback] #8752804 12/08/22 04:11 AM
N
Nickbyrd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by skinnerback

Didnt think so 🤣🤣 if you have a recipe id love to hear it tho . Theres some meat hanging in the freezer im going to help a buddy with this weekand and more to come soon .

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8752807 12/08/22 04:16 AM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
I make the bullets we kill ‘em with too.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Processing on your own [Re: redchevy] #8752822 12/08/22 04:57 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by redchevy

I'd like to meet you and you kids someday Red.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8752824 12/08/22 04:59 AM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Didnt think so 🤣🤣 if you have a recipe id love to hear it tho . Theres some meat hanging in the freezer im going to help a buddy with this weekand and more to come soon .

Don't have a written recipe. Comes from the heart.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: skinnerback] #8752867 12/08/22 12:32 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
. . . . We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

Yes, it's very rewarding and with some trial & error, you can turn out a really good product.....and then you can learn and improve on that making it even better. I love the entire process. From the work during off season, the hunt, the kill, the butchering & processing, the making of various sausages & meat products, and most importantly sitting down at the kitchen table and sharing a meal with your loved ones knowing this is the deer you killed.

This right here. I used to get my stuff commercially made and from some very good producers. I got on a 9 pin bowling team in Marion and the square heads were always bringing dried sausage, cheddar cheese, saltines and sometimes pickles. Their sausage was better than mine. I asked where they had it made and they laughed at me. That was twenty plus years ago. Been making with them ever since and ever so fortunate. They had the recipe (I slightly bumped up the red pepper), equipment & know how and all have to do is bring some help and a handle of crown. We have a ball making it 4 - 6 hundred pounds at a time. Start at 8 and get done about 2 or 3. I know of others who routinely go out and make 20- 40 pound batches and I admire them.

As some on this forum are aware, my sausage is good, really good. It just is what it is. It is quite heart warming for people obviously enjoying it and asking where I had it made. Some find it hard to believe it is "home made".

Considering I cut up one deer for steaks and then make hamburger and the various sausage products from five or six more deer each year, I save in excess of a thousand dollars each year and obtain what I perceive to be a better product. This cost savings isn't even the real difference as commercial sausage makers either cannot or will not cold smoke their dried sausage and yes, it makes a difference. I have seen chiding references to my "complete the circle" assertions and fully accept others don't have access to a set up or just don't get it.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Hudbone] #8752930 12/08/22 01:27 PM
I
ILUVBIGBUCKS Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
I
Originally Posted by Hudbone
. . . . We have been doing our own for almost 20 years. Grind, sausage, jerky, packaging, etc.

This right here. I used to get my stuff commercially made and from some very good producers. I got on a 9 pin bowling team in Marion and the square heads were always bringing dried sausage, cheddar cheese, saltines and sometimes pickles. Their sausage was better than mine. I asked where they had it made and they laughed at me. That was twenty plus years ago. Been making with them ever since and ever so fortunate. They had the recipe (I slightly bumped up the red pepper), equipment & know how and all have to do is bring some help and a handle of crown. We have a ball making it 4 - 6 hundred pounds at a time. Start at 8 and get done about 2 or 3. I know of others who routinely go out and make 20- 40 pound batches and I admire them.

As some on this forum are aware, my sausage is good, really good. It just is what it is. It is quite heart warming for people obviously enjoying it and asking where I had it made. Some find it hard to believe it is "home made".

Considering I cut up one deer for steaks and then make hamburger and the various sausage products from five or six more deer each year, I save in excess of a thousand dollars each year and obtain what I perceive to be a better product. This cost savings isn't even the real difference as commercial sausage makers either cannot or will not cold smoke their dried sausage and yes, it makes a difference. I have seen chiding references to my "complete the circle" assertions and fully accept others don't have access to a set up or just don't get it.

This just doesn't sound right Hud.....NOT AT ALL since 99% of the folks on this board are male. roflmao

Seriously though, the link you gave me last year was damn good. The seasonings in it were great.

High fence, low fence, no fence, it really doesn't matter as long as you're hunting!
Re: Processing on your own [Re: ILUVBIGBUCKS] #8752947 12/08/22 01:37 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by ILUVBIGBUCKS

This just doesn't sound right Hud.....NOT AT ALL since 99% of the folks on this board are male. roflmao

Seriously though, the link you gave me last year was damn good. The seasonings in it were great.

Will Rogers once said, "it ain’t bragging if it’s true".

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753010 12/08/22 02:22 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Im still open for any and all recipes. I just used the seasoning packs and japs and cheddar where needed it came out alright but i want people to make that expression and when they eat my food and ask for more !

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Hudbone] #8753033 12/08/22 02:50 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A

Stop bragging and share that recipe! We are all waiting for it. up

Re: Processing on your own [Re: skinnerback] #8753038 12/08/22 02:56 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Originally Posted by redchevy

I'd like to meet you and you kids someday Red.

Feel the same, just sure wish life would slow the heck down!

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753044 12/08/22 03:01 PM
oldoak2000 Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
I do 100% myself.
I like separating then packaging the meat into whole-muscles , and saving all the smaller pieces to grind.
The whole muscles cook-up nicer/ more tender as roasts, and cut cross-grain for steak cutlets.

I actually double-bag the meat in freezer ziplock bags, simply squeezing any air out. Lasts even three years this way with zero freezer burn.

I even pack ground/spiced breakfast sausage in quart freezer bags, pressed flat about 5/8 in thick in filled bag.
A little over 1pound fits into a quart bag. Store easy in freezer this way too.
Defrosts fast and I dump the whole square into skillet cutting with spatula into smaller squares for serving as it cooks. Fast/easy!

Re: Processing on your own [Re: angus1956] #8753121 12/08/22 03:57 PM
N
Nickbyrd Offline OP
Bird Dog
OP Offline
Bird Dog
N
Originally Posted by angus1956

Seriously

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753153 12/08/22 04:29 PM
R
redchevy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
It’s been posted I think… I took note

It's hell eatin em live
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753322 12/08/22 07:52 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Who has a good link for simply butchering a deer? Nothing fancy, just simple cuts...for a first timer!

FJB - Lets Go Brandon
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753343 12/08/22 08:12 PM
M
MikeD77 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Growing up in New Braunfels, many German families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

Last edited by MikeD77; 12/08/22 08:38 PM.
Re: Processing on your own [Re: MikeD77] #8753365 12/08/22 08:32 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by MikeD77
Growing up in New Braunfels, many families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

cheers Exactly what I tell my kids, just had this conversation with them last weekend. The hunt and butchering is only part of it, I'm also teaching them how to process their game, in hopes that someday they can teach their own kids & grandkids. They started helping me make smoked sausage, summer sausage, & fresh sausage a few years ago, so far they're enjoying it.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: skinnerback] #8753375 12/08/22 08:40 PM
M
MikeD77 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
M
Growing up in New Braunfels, many families make processing/sausage making an event. While we no longer have the old timers with us, I have started doing it with my boys. Even built a small smokehouse I use in my residential neighborhood backyard. I was spending $500-$800/year on processing and got all the equipment I needed (including building the smokehouse) for less than one year's bill at the processors. Can't put a price on the time with my kids and what's (hopefully) being passed to the net generation.

cheers Exactly what I tell my kids, just had this conversation with them last weekend. The hunt and butchering is only part of it, I'm also teaching them how to process their game, in hopes that someday they can teach their own kids & grandkids. They started helping me make smoked sausage, summer sausage, & fresh sausage a few years ago, so far they're enjoying it.

Yes sir, we home school 4 of our 6, so I've actually been able to incorporate some "learning" as pat of the process as well.

Re: Processing on your own [Re: MikeD77] #8753381 12/08/22 08:43 PM
THF Celebrity Chef
Online Content
THF Celebrity Chef

Yes sir, we home school 4 of our 6, so I've actually been able to incorporate some "learning" as pat of the process as well.

Whew, you've got your hands full LOL. Good on ya. up

Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753384 12/08/22 08:45 PM
onlysmith&wesson Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
My buck this year got me 110lbs of processed meat. I paid $225.00. The only up charge I got was $40.00 for 10 lbs of the best breakfast sausage I've ever had. My back straps, tenderloin and rounds were tenderized, ready for chicken fry. Everything else, ground.
So without the sausage I'm $185.00 out the door on a huge doe I may shoot. Add in packaging, spices, a tenderizer............I don't pay people to do many things for me, but for this little amount of money and the time it would take me, I'll be in front of the fire with some Woodford over a scotchball watching the Cowboy game and having good thoughts of the hunt while Whitakers does in one hour what would take me 6-8 to do. For those of ya'll that do it yourselves, hats off.

An unethical shot is one you take, that you know you shouldn't.
Re: Processing on your own [Re: Nickbyrd] #8753387 12/08/22 08:48 PM
H
Hudbone Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by angus1956

Seriously

Ahem . . .

[Linked Image]