Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763620 12/21/22 10:23 PM
K
Ktexas14 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
K
Absolute shame for deer to go to waste.

Flint, that was a really good article. It is wild that this stuff is happening still.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: 65x55] #8763697 12/21/22 11:42 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by 65x55
Originally Posted by Russ79
I moved to Nacogdoches county around 1981. Back then, there were probably four different timber companies that owned thousands of acres that everyone had free run of- I learned the different timber company colors so I knew which timber company owned the land I would go hunt on. Between outlawing running deer with dogs and timber companies learning how much money they could make leasing instead of leaving it open for anyone to hunt pissed off the locals to the point that poaching, vandalism, and theft was rampant- a game warden even had a house he was having built burned down. As those old timers died off and their kids got a little more law abiding, I have experienced less problems. I have three timber company tracts leased in Nacogdoches county and have had very few problems. In the past 15 years I have only found two deer that were shot by poachers and only had any theft one time when a pipeline was being put in which opened one of my leases up for trespassing. I have learned that gates and cellular game cameras are your friends- I have both our game warden's phone numbers and they have been really good at responding when I give them a call.

I've always wondered what the hog doggers dogged before the hogs, so they were deer dogs originally? And bear before that until they were all killed off?

Pretty much everything. Fox, Coyote, Coons, Deer.

To give you some idea...here is an old pic (circa 1940) of a gathering of Houndsmen in Center Texas on a property just 10 miles or so from where I currently live.

[Linked Image]

This whole area (Nacogdoches and Shelby Counties) along with many East Texas counties were at one time a place to compare hounds and chase/hunt one sort of animal or another. Property lines meant nothing back then and to some degree....still don't.

There are various reasons why the issues here continue to exist, but suffice to say the reputation East Texas has (a dubious one) is well deserved and it will likely take a few more generations to see much improvement. I would never be a Game Warden here.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: flintknapper] #8763898 12/22/22 04:10 AM
65x55 Offline
Tracker
Tracker
Originally Posted by flintknapper
Originally Posted by 65x55
Originally Posted by Russ79
I moved to Nacogdoches county around 1981. Back then, there were probably four different timber companies that owned thousands of acres that everyone had free run of- I learned the different timber company colors so I knew which timber company owned the land I would go hunt on. Between outlawing running deer with dogs and timber companies learning how much money they could make leasing instead of leaving it open for anyone to hunt pissed off the locals to the point that poaching, vandalism, and theft was rampant- a game warden even had a house he was having built burned down. As those old timers died off and their kids got a little more law abiding, I have experienced less problems. I have three timber company tracts leased in Nacogdoches county and have had very few problems. In the past 15 years I have only found two deer that were shot by poachers and only had any theft one time when a pipeline was being put in which opened one of my leases up for trespassing. I have learned that gates and cellular game cameras are your friends- I have both our game warden's phone numbers and they have been really good at responding when I give them a call.

I've always wondered what the hog doggers dogged before the hogs, so they were deer dogs originally? And bear before that until they were all killed off?

Pretty much everything. Fox, Coyote, Coons, Deer.

To give you some idea...here is an old pic (circa 1940) of a gathering of Houndsmen in Center Texas on a property just 10 miles or so from where I currently live.

That is quite an assembly of houndsmen there. I don't like the lawlessness but at the same time the history and culture is fascinating. I grew up in Appalachia and it's very similar. Any good book recommendations East Texas history/culture?[/img]

This whole area (Nacogdoches and Shelby Counties) along with many East Texas counties were at one time a place to compare hounds and chase/hunt one sort of animal or another. Property lines meant nothing back then and to some degree....still don't.

There are various reasons why the issues here continue to exist, but suffice to say the reputation East Texas has (a dubious one) is well deserved and it will likely take a few more generations to see much improvement. I would never be a Game Warden here.

That is quite an assembly of houndsmen there. I don't like the lawlessness but at the same time the history and culture is fascinating. I grew up in Appalachia and it's very similar. Any good book recommendations East Texas history/culture?

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763908 12/22/22 04:46 AM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Had one killed in Mills county yesterday and dumped on the county road. Took a sawzall to each antler, nothing else. It’s not just East TX.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8763962 12/22/22 10:40 AM
D
Dave Davidson Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
My deceased brother was a poacher in SE Texas. He and others considered the deer as their deer and they ate a lot of venison. They resented hunters who leased land and hunted “their deer”. My observation is that these guys were mostly under performers in life. And yet, if you lost your wallet and they found it, it would be returned with nothing missing. They despised thieves and dope heads. And, wouldn’t shoot a deer out of season.

We disagreed about my actions when I caught a poacher on my land in Montague County. He figured that the guy was probably just “outlawing” a deer because he couldn’t afford to pay the outrageous fees charged by greedy landowners. But, he did agree that the guy was lucky that I didn’t shoot him.

Without a sense of urgency, nothing ever happens.

Boy, if I say "sic em", you'd better look for something to bite. Sam Shelley, Rancher Muleshoe Texas 1892-1985 RIP
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8765125 12/23/22 03:06 PM
ETexas Hunter Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
good article

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: tlk] #8765228 12/23/22 05:02 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by tlk
yeah I forget the guys name who wrote the book about all his years of poaching and was proud of it - IMO ridiculous and I would not pay a red cent for his book - it is no different than someone walking onto your home property and stealing items - I have no patience for it

Charles Beatty and he is on social media promoting it left and right. He is not sorry or remorseful in the least. I read his book and I threw it away after, I didn’t want anyone else reading it. I wish one of those King or Kennedy ranch cowboys would have got ahold of his arse way back when.

I’ve sparred with him online many times and he has become somewhat of a cult hero in certain circles. They excuse it “because he was only stealing from corporations and not the average person “

To be 100% honest, I’ve become pretty disappointed with the average “ hunter” and their mindset of what’s acceptable and unacceptable. Yesterday a guy was on a hunting group I’m a member of warning people of an outfitter who ripped him off for $22k on a $75k sheep hunt and you should have seen the comments on how he deserved it because he spent that on a hunt or that he was an idiot for “wasting” that amount of money. It’s ridiculous and these are supposed brothers in our ranks? Gimme a break

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8765267 12/23/22 05:35 PM
Creekrunner Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
'Heard an ancient economist, probably from a link on here, say that "Greed doesn't make the world go 'round, envy does." Not just hunting, but in anything that humans see other humans do, that they personally can't afford, a certain percentage are gonna bitch and moan. On here, whenever anyone starts a thread about hunting in a country in Africa, there's always somebody that feels we all need to know that they "have no interest in hunting Africa."

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: txtrophy85] #8765297 12/23/22 06:07 PM
tlk Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by tlk
yeah I forget the guys name who wrote the book about all his years of poaching and was proud of it - IMO ridiculous and I would not pay a red cent for his book - it is no different than someone walking onto your home property and stealing items - I have no patience for it

Charles Beatty and he is on social media promoting it left and right. He is not sorry or remorseful in the least. I read his book and I threw it away after, I didn’t want anyone else reading it. I wish one of those King or Kennedy ranch cowboys would have got ahold of his arse way back when.

I’ve sparred with him online many times and he has become somewhat of a cult hero in certain circles. They excuse it “because he was only stealing from corporations and not the average person “

To be 100% honest, I’ve become pretty disappointed with the average “ hunter” and their mindset of what’s acceptable and unacceptable. Yesterday a guy was on a hunting group I’m a member of warning people of an outfitter who ripped him off for $22k on a $75k sheep hunt and you should have seen the comments on how he deserved it because he spent that on a hunt or that he was an idiot for “wasting” that amount of money. It’s ridiculous and these are supposed brothers in our ranks? Gimme a break

I agree 100% what you said - I am on several of the hunting forums and it does seem like there are more and more "hunters" who I am not sure I would want to hunt with. The game warden threads for example seem to have a lot more folks who do not respect them and the jobs they have to do - I was raised differently I guess

Last edited by tlk; 12/23/22 06:10 PM.

You can't fix stupid
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: txtrophy85] #8765303 12/23/22 06:16 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by txtrophy85
Originally Posted by tlk

Charles Beaty and he is on social media promoting it left and right. He is not sorry or remorseful in the least. I read his book and I threw it away after, I didn’t want anyone else reading it. I wish one of those King or Kennedy ranch cowboys would have got ahold of his arse way back when.

^^^^^

That would have been a more fitting ending for Beaty if you ask me.

But I think He knew he had pushed things about as far as he could and had resigned himself to quitting even before Mike Fain (caught him, though I think he turned himself in). I've read of some of his exploits and it is clear he was proud of what he did.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: corkys son] #8765356 12/23/22 07:27 PM
W
Wilhunt Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Good article Flintknapper, just about another world.

Re: East Texas Poaching [Re: Wilhunt] #8765389 12/23/22 08:24 PM
T
txtrophy85 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by Wilhunt
Good article Flintknapper, just about another world.

Shows you the mentality of the people there…..”the government changed the law so let’s burn down someone else’s property “

No different than BLM rioters in the streets.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide