Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730739 11/10/22 01:39 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Two different sides on this one for sure.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Texas buckeye] #8730868 11/10/22 03:26 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by Texas buckeye
I don't know fi this has been brought up or not, but many of you are bringing some serious high level thought to a "kid's first buck" opportunity.

Let the kid hunt, keep his enthusiasm in hunting and let him learn with time.

Lets take the devils advocate here:

Dad listens to the forum and says to kid, that deer isn't old enough and we need to let it walk a couple more years before we can shoot it. IN a couple years something happens (lease is transferred, family moves, neighbor shoots the deer, literally a million possible here) and that deer is gone, and the kids interest in hunting has faded since all dad lets him shoot are "boring doe" and ultimately the kid never gets really interested in hunting again?

You could then have another anti-hunter or person ambivalent to hunting who votes for public lands to go away and gun rights to cease when instead you could have given a kid an opportunity to shoot a deer that got his blood pumping but many of us on here feel is "too young" and the kid is "too young".

Hogwash, this is supposed to be a fun activity. If you can not have fun doing it, then get out. If you can not let your kids have fun learning how to do it, then get out. Many of us have to realize everyone enjoys this for different reasons. It isn't all abut the age and antlers, for many its about priceless memories that can not be made unless we are out there doing them with our kids.

Wow.....Devils Advocate is right. What a stretch. (Kid turns into an anti-hunter, votes to take away gun rights, public land) all because he didn't get to shoot the biggest buck at 8 yrs old. Please.........!

If your 'little man' has a problem with that....tell you what I'd do. I'd kick his ungrateful little A$$ up around his ears. Hunting is so much more than just shooting the buck with the biggest antlers. And if Junior and Dad can't find a way to make those outings 'Fun', then neither one of them need to be out there.

All of the fun, learning, memories and experiences can be had without having to take any PARTICULAR animal in order for it to happen. Otherwise, you just set the Lad up for disappointment right off the bat.

If you are a parent....act like one. Are YOU in charge or your 8 yr. old. IF hunting for any reason isn't working for both of you, fine....do something else. But when you pick that something else...the same thing applies, you don't have to start at the top in order to have 'fun'.

Last edited by flintknapper; 11/10/22 03:28 AM.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8730870 11/10/22 03:27 AM
Bee'z Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Online Happy
The Beedazzler
Has he killed this damn deer yet?

[Linked Image]
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Bee'z] #8730965 11/10/22 08:42 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Originally Posted by HoneyBeez
Has he killed this damn deer yet?

No Sir…. Friday afternoon and Saturday he will get his chance at one.

JD

�Living Life One Round At A Time�
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Texas buckeye] #8730977 11/10/22 11:02 AM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
I don't know fi this has been brought up or not, but many of you are bringing some serious high level thought to a "kid's first buck" opportunity.

Dad listens to the forum and says to kid, that deer isn't old enough and we need to let it walk a couple more years before we can shoot it. IN a couple years something happens (lease is transferred, family moves, neighbor shoots the deer, literally a million possible here) and that deer is gone, and the kids interest in hunting has faded since all dad lets him shoot are "boring doe" and ultimately the kid never gets really interested in hunting again?

You could then have another anti-hunter or person ambivalent to hunting who votes for public lands to go away and gun rights to cease when instead you could have given a kid an opportunity to shoot a deer that got his blood pumping but many of us on here feel is "too young" and the kid is "too young".

Hogwash, this is supposed to be a fun activity. If you can not have fun doing it, then get out. If you can not let your kids have fun learning how to do it, then get out. Many of us have to realize everyone enjoys this for different reasons. It isn't all abut the age and antlers, for many its about priceless memories that can not be made unless we are out there doing them with our kids.

Yeah, just teach the kid to do whatever he wants to do. That lesson will serve him well as an adult.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8731270 11/10/22 05:03 PM
C
ChanceHuiet Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
C
This whole thread is why hunting is losing youth involvement. Save the deer, manage the herd, let it grow, give it another year. If my 13 yr old likes a deer he can kill the dam thing. To hell with all you herd managers thoughts on it. I'm not going to drive my son away from the sport because an animal needs another year. I'll leave the managing to me and the other adults.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Texas buckeye] #8731340 11/10/22 06:12 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Doc, I respect your opinions 99% of the time but that’s about as far of a stretch I’ve ever seen!!!!

If that kid turns in to anti because he didn’t get to shot an antlered buck…. He was not going to make it as a hunter and hunting for Instragram mentality anyway. This is perfect example of everyone gets a damn participation trophy. Your are contradicting fun at camp and not being able to kill a young buck.

It’s not about the kid being too young. I gave my daughter freerange on my trophy tag last year, she was 8 and hunted 15 days only to pass because she was shaking to hard. Do you think she cared more about the buck or being at deer camp? With out a doubt deer camp. This year she realized she had two buck tags. First deer that met either trophy or management requirements got turned into Brawts. 3.5 year old 6pt.

If you are going to hunt a lease with others and have agreed on harvest stipulations, honor them. With that said everyone on my lease knows don’t send your kid to hunt with bobo if your trophy tag ain’t filled, if it’s 5.5 or older I’ll give every kid a green light with me, same if deer makes management requirements, green light.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: ChanceHuiet] #8731346 11/10/22 06:18 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by ChanceHuiet
This whole thread is why hunting is losing youth involvement. Save the deer, manage the herd, let it grow, give it another year. If my 13 yr old likes a deer he can kill the dam thing. To hell with all you herd managers thoughts on it. I'm not going to drive my son away from the sport because an animal needs another year. I'll leave the managing to me and the other adults.

Nothing wrong with that thought process if you aren’t on a lease with age stipulations or better yet own your own land.

If you agree to a set of harvest criteria’s honor them. At same stand point if we are losing youth because of a harvest restraint, then we didn’t focus, give or show them the other 99% of what hunting truly is.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: ChanceHuiet] #8731348 11/10/22 06:26 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q

Your whole thought process of 'it's ok, he's a kid' is the reason America is headed the way it is. Slippery slope and all, rules only apply some of the time and can be bent on a whim, 'what does it REALLY matter', etc. As someone else posted, if the only thing keeping him in the sport is actually killing the deer, he's not in it much anyway.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: ChanceHuiet] #8731404 11/10/22 07:23 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I don't see that being the case at all. I have two boys....both were allowed 1 immature buck as their first deer, then after that were held to the same standard as everyone else on the properties we hunt ( 5 years old or older unless its a legitimate cull ) and both boys are still hunters. One much more than the other but both still go and they didn't cry and whine because he wasn't allowed to shoot just any deer. They understand rules, why they are in place and abide by them

You want to pull the trigger, shoot a doe or a hog.

I never bought into the " if we don't let our kids do this then they might not" ideology. I wasn't allowed to run willy nilly on my families place, matter of fact I was 25 before shot a deer that wasn't a cull and only shot 2 whitetail in 28 years of us having the ranch that went on the wall...it didn't keep me from wanting to hunt whatsoever.

Parents coddle kids too much and run through too many "what if" scenarios instead of just letting it ride and work out how its gonna work out.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8731420 11/10/22 07:45 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Not in any way thinking of this as a deer management issue. I am thinking of it as a child rearing issue. If that kid has to shoot the biggest deer around to obtain or develop an interest in what is my favorite pastime, that battle is lost already.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8731426 11/10/22 07:48 PM
sleepyhunter Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
If the 8 yr old boy is allowed to shoot the buck, be sure he's gets the entire experiance. Make sure he tags the deer, field dresses the deer, skins it, quarters it then wrap it up for the freezer. Hunting is not all about getting to shoot the biggest buck. That was the procedure I used with my son growing up, if he was not prepared to get his hands bloody with deer guts and take the time to prepare the deer after shooting it. He didn't need to be out there hunting. IMO taking a 8 yr old out deer hunting is rushing him into something he may not be ready to deal with other than shooting the biggest Buck. My son was 10 when I took him hunting his first time he wanted noting to do with field dressing a deer. His first deer was a doe and I cleaned for him to show him what was needed to be done. Next time he did the cleaning with some instruction from me, I could tell he didn't like gutting the deer but it was the only way for him to learn.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8731511 11/10/22 09:56 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
I know a lot of people didn't like my opinion on this topic, so I want to clarify some things. First, I assumed this guy owned the place or was on a lease by himself where there were no rules other than "self imposed" rules. Second, while I know my kids are spoiled, and trust me 100% of our kids are spoiled compared to the rest of the world, I also know my kids know what hard work, patience, and delayed gratification are all about. Third, I understand the young deer vs older deer argument and if there is a hard lease or landowner rule in place then by all means it needs to be followed...

But what is wrong with letting this kid shoot a legal deer he really wants to shoot? There is no rule in the book that says you have to wait until a deer is 5 yo before it can be shot. I want people on my place to have fun and stay interested in hunting, and if shooting a 3-4.5 you buck does that, then most of the time I am going to let the kid take his first real buck.

I think of hunting much like religion. We place rules on ourselves to better mature and discipline ourselves in places where we need maturity and discipline, but those rules are rarely God imposed, they are man imposed. When you get too legalistic, it can detract from what the real meaning is. Keep hunting fun. Yes, imposing rules on yourself is one way to help mature the herd, but getting so bogged down in the rules such that you could cause loss of interest in an immature believer, well that's just plain stupid.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Texas buckeye] #8731515 11/10/22 10:02 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I know a lot of people didn't like my opinion on this topic, so I want to clarify some things. First, I assumed this guy owned the place or was on a lease by himself where there were no rules other than "self imposed" rules. Second, while I know my kids are spoiled, and trust me 100% of our kids are spoiled compared to the rest of the world, I also know my kids know what hard work, patience, and delayed gratification are all about. Third, I understand the young deer vs older deer argument and if there is a hard lease or landowner rule in place then by all means it needs to be followed...

But what is wrong with letting this kid shoot a legal deer he really wants to shoot? There is no rule in the book that says you have to wait until a deer is 5 yo before it can be shot. I want people on my place to have fun and stay interested in hunting, and if shooting a 3-4.5 you buck does that, then most of the time I am going to let the kid take his first real buck.

I think of hunting much like religion. We place rules on ourselves to better mature and discipline ourselves in places where we need maturity and discipline, but those rules are rarely God imposed, they are man imposed. When you get too legalistic, it can detract from what the real meaning is. Keep hunting fun. Yes, imposing rules on yourself is one way to help mature the herd, but getting so bogged down in the rules such that you could cause loss of interest in an immature believer, well that's just plain stupid.

You are forgiven, 5 Hail Mary’s and 6 Our Father’s.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8731516 11/10/22 10:05 PM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

You are forgiven, 5 Hail Mary’s and 6 Our Father’s.

bang more legalism

roflmao

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: kry226] #8731638 11/11/22 01:16 AM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
I put bringing up a hunter before antler farming. The young fella needs to kill deer. Killing deer, not watching and passing them, is what makes a good shot on game. It also happens to be fun and is a beginning to other aspects of why we hunt. Nowadays we have people who can't shoot, and when they do, can't find their deer without a tracking dog. You have to shoot deer to learn to track them, too.

Another thing about focusing on antlers is it retards the development of the hunter. They do not progress naturally and so do not value the game. The boy needs to be shooting and experiencing the excitement on younger deer while it last. As seasons pass that will change, but you can't assign appreciation of the nature of older animals. It must be experienced and learned naturally to have real meaning.

I think not shooting the buck is putting deer before the boy. That is completely backwards and detrimental to our sport and traditions. Do you want a young fella around to help track and drag when you're old?

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8731808 11/11/22 05:57 AM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
determined
Online Content
determined
As you set in the blind watching this nice deer, explaining wildlife management, it’s also a good time to discuss social media for the future. Coach him on commenting. It’s important that he understands any deer kill photo should be responded, “you should have given him another year”.

A big 8 would be a fun first. Do whatever you think is best. Shooting that deer won’t end the world. But I’d examine alternative bucks depending on the property.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732058 11/11/22 04:33 PM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
He goes this afternoon so I will post the end result. 30mph winds out of the North this morning so he got his butt to School. Stay tuned

JD

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732521 11/12/22 03:35 AM
P
Paralax22 Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
P
Little man took a Cull. He had some funky stuff going on!

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

JD

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732550 11/12/22 04:47 AM
F
flintknapper Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Great buck for him. Good Job!

I'd say judging by the smile on the Lad's face, he had plenty of fun and is rightfully proud of his buck.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732555 11/12/22 04:57 AM
T
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T
Awesome work! Good job dad and son!!

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732563 11/12/22 05:07 AM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Perfect. I love happy endings. I had wondered if there were no other bucks around to chose from.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: Paralax22] #8732578 11/12/22 05:39 AM
B
BigPig Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
I let first shoot what they want. A guest shoots on the memebers tab, if the meme er has shot his buck, then it’s all hoes from here on out. If menener hasn’t shot their buck, than guest has the operation with me.

Wade Dews, REALTOR ®
Rendon Realty, LLC
Frontline Real Estate Team
www.RendonRealty.com
WadeDews@gmail.com
214-356-2410
Up to 1% for closing costs for First Responders & Veterans
Proudly partnered with Assist The Officer Foundation https://atodallas.org/
Re: Let THF Decide [Re: BigPig] #8732657 11/12/22 02:00 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by BigPig
I let first shoot what they want. A guest shoots on the memebers tab, if the meme er has shot his buck, then it’s all hoes from here on out. If menener hasn’t shot their buck, than guest has the operation with me.

Please refrain from posting after drinking.

Re: Let THF Decide [Re: freerange] #8732659 11/12/22 02:01 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by freerange
Perfect. I love happy endings. . . .

Sig worthy.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread