Forums46
Topics539,546
Posts9,750,861
Members87,166
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: DQ Kid] #8734748 11/15/22 02:51 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by DQ Kid
Originally Posted by Texas Dan
Used two things myself for first time with mixed results. Tried the Lil Mr. Heater last night in my trailer and could never get the pilot lit for long enough to ignite, made for a cold, cold night and a return to Academy tonight. Trying the tiltable, Heat Hog, Little Buddy Heater competitor, 9000 BTU. Verdict is out for now. Other thing was Boneview battery HotPack handwarmers. Put two in the hand pouch and didn't have to wear gloves. Dudes put out heat and last 4-5 hours ea. Excellent buy, $50 online ++ for both.

Did you hold the Start button completely down long enough to keep the pilot light lit until the sensor gets hot? It can take 30 seconds or more before this happens so that the pilot stays on. So long as you keep holding the start button down, the pilot will continue to burn indefinitely, but will stay on after releasing the button once they sensor heats up. Also, it helps to press the button for a second or two to start releasing gas to the pilot before pressing it down completely to engage the starter/spark.

I think it's common for people to release the Start button as soon as they see the pilot light ignite before the sensor has a chance to heat up. Don't ask me how I know.

Held it down for awhile but probably not as long as I should have in hindsight; also had the trailer pretty ventilated with several windows cracked open some, maybe the wind was working against me - have read online that small breezes can play havoc with those. Regardless, I need a bigger unit for that trailer so the Heat Hog should work better and being able to tilt the angle of heating seems pretty cool. Those Boneview electric handwarmers were the bomb!

Im not sure exactly which unit youre talking about but the one that sits in the little base and is always falling over you often have to hold them down for a long time. Maybe they arent supposed to but some do. The bigger one that has the bottle swing out will light very easy. I have several and they are great.
Is the boneview the one that I think Doc Horton said was good? Good thread about those awhile back.

Last edited by freerange; 11/15/22 02:52 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: Texas Dan] #8734756 11/15/22 03:04 PM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Yes, I'm talking about the smallest buddy that sits propane canister down. Wore my thumb out trying to light pilot without success. Not sure on Boneview but somebody recommended them when I mentioned battery handwarmers on here a month or so ago. So impressed, I ordered their battery heated socks yesterday.

Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: DQ Kid] #8735534 11/16/22 01:32 PM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Yes, I'm talking about the smallest buddy that sits propane canister down. Wore my thumb out trying to light pilot without success.

As I mentioned earlier, I've had much better success getting the pilot flame lit by holding the Start button down for second or two to begin releasing gas before pressing it down completely to engage the piezoelectric starter. But then, I'm an old fart who has lit more than my share of old pilot lights where this is the required practice. If you push the Start button down completely with no delay, it can take forever to get the pilot flame lit. At least, that's been my experience.

As for keeping it from tipping over, I picked up a base somewhere that has flaps or legs that rotate out that do a great job in keeping the heater from turning over. They can be retracted for easier transport.

Improved Propane Heater Base

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/16/22 01:55 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: Texas Dan] #8735567 11/16/22 02:07 PM
S
Sauerkraut Offline
Tracker
Tracker
S
Rifle hunting from a tree saddle crazy

"Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might, for in the realm of the dead, where you are going, there is neither working nor planning nor knowledge nor wisdom." - Ecclesiastes 9:10
Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: Texas Dan] #8736093 11/17/22 12:58 AM
D
DQ Kid Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
D
Since the Boneview battery handwarmers were such a hit this past weekend, I put an order in for the Boneview battery socks and they came in today just in time for this weekend's cold temps. Those Lithium heated socks will get their first test this weekend.

Re: What will you be using for the first time this season? [Re: Texas Dan] #8736214 11/17/22 03:49 AM
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
It seems the challenge in using clothing that heats up is not turning it on too early so that your skin starts sweating, or waiting too late so that it doesn't make much of a difference.

I have a first generation pair of those Heated Insoles that 3M began offering years ago and the instructions specifically state they're not designed to feel warm against your feet. 3M claims that allow your natural body heat to keep your feet warm, which to me says they simply keep the inside soles of your boots somewhere around normal body temperature. The remote makes it very easy to turn them on after you reach your stand so that your feet aren't likely to sweat while walking. The instructions also suggest wearing a mid-weight sock so they can work more naturally with your body heat with less likelihood of ending up with sweaty feet. Once that happens, you're hosed in terms of keeping the skin warm.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 11/17/22 03:51 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide