Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: helomech] #873300 08/28/09 06:43 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted By: helomech
We can all agree that does and buck should be killed each year to keep the population under control while keeping the ratio as close to 1:1 as possible right? If so, than why in the heck would anyone shoot a young 8, when they can take a spike or a messed up rack. No you can not change genetics, but if you are going to kill a buck anyways to keep the ratio where you want it, it is only smart to kill the ugliest rack out there.

I hunt for a particalar buck.. I have a hit list. Hit list includes all mature deer. Some huge some crap. i push for my wife to shoot the crap, or I flip years with her. I try to get all my does in bowseason. That way I can focus on the hit list. If I don't fill the hit list I'm not worried about it b/c i replaced it already with a doe.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: BOBO the Clown] #873305 08/28/09 06:48 PM
B
BenBob Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
B
Basically the same thing I do. I hunt for usually 1 deer that I have seen on game camera, unless a bigger one stumbles up. All other tags go to does. If I have not killed my buck by the end of the season, I kill another doe during the extended doe season.

Tired, Wired, and Uninspired
Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: BOBO the Clown] #873325 08/28/09 07:00 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
Originally Posted By: jgiles
In regards to taking him based on his antlers... I always judge a deer via age and his good side. Single horned spikes are mainly a result of injury to the body, pedicle, and or injury during velvet.

felt the same way when the first one showed up...and he is now 5.5 and hard as heck to find once they break up from their bachelor groups.... since then, 3 others have showed up. Could be coincidental.

Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: rifleman] #873473 08/28/09 08:14 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Could be coincidental or not

Nobody knows your deer better then you. Its a personal decision. Put your wife, or kids on them.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: BOBO the Clown] #873535 08/28/09 09:01 PM
R
rifleman Offline
Sparkly Pants
Sparkly Pants
R
yeah, though no wife and kids. (The one in the pic that got killed was by a youngun as his first deer..... after he had opened all his Christmas presents). I just feel that the majority of the does need to get slaughtered as well to git rid of the problem. That is one thing that stinks about free range, when things are good they are good...when things go south, they head that way in a hurry as well.

Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: BOBO the Clown] #873619 08/28/09 09:43 PM
M
murfdog Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
M
I think this goes back to the high fence/low fence argument. I think the needs of a high fenced ranch are different than those of a low fenced one.

Maybe there should be a low fence forum and a high fence forum.

That way people can stay out of other peoples business and we won't have to read argument after argument. Post pics of your high fence deer or low fence deer. You may want to show off the big 12 point 180 class deer on the photos forum, but as soon as you get asked "high fence?" then nobody congratulates you. Of course, you have to keep your population down in a high fence situation and if you want to shoot does or spikes then have fun doing it. I have 125 low fenced acres and I don't shoot either of them. My kids might, my wife might, but once only.

Murfdog

Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: Tex-Star Wildlife] #874381 08/29/09 05:24 AM
E
Earl Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
E
Did you not read all my post? I'm niether confused nor misguided. I never said that it is the law that you harvest spikes, it is the law that you CAN harvest spikes. And also that I have only ever taken 2 (in 30 years).

No confusion or misguidance on my part friend. Earl

Originally Posted By: Tex-Star Wildlife
Quote:
Agreed. But I do follow the law.....since it is the law it's neither here nor there

I believe you are either confused or misguided. There is no TPWD law, code or statute that would require you to shoot a spike. It is only department policy and opinion.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: The crappinator] #876740 08/31/09 12:09 AM
R
rtp Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
R
Originally Posted By: The crappinator
Originally Posted By: rtp
Tex-Star, best post in regards to management I have read on this forum in my short time here. Everything you posted is what I have been preaching for a number of years. I have a large free ranch ranch that I have been hunting for 14 years. In dry years we have a number of spikes all across the ranch. In wet years you will not find one on the place. I also have a $100 bill on the table at the camp to anyone who brings me a 2 1/2 or older spike. Been sitting there for 4 years now.

I'll show you a 2 1/2 year old spike for $100 grin

I did not say there were not any 2 1/2 year old spikes. I am referring to my place which has a 1 to 1 buck doe ratio, a great age structure, plenty of water year round, supplemental protein feed 9 months of the year, and massive cropland that borders our ranch. My point is that when all the necessary elements for whitetail growth are met things like this dont happen. If everyone would focus as much on land management, population control and sex ratio as much as trying to justify shooting spikes and culls the whole state would be better off.

Let'em grow old
Re: Culls and Spikes - Long Post [Re: rtp] #877667 08/31/09 01:40 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
x2 up

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide