Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? #8663162 08/13/22 02:45 PM
Tbar Online Content OP
THF Celebrity
OP Online Content
THF Celebrity
Scientists Researching Unique 'Ghost Wolves' On Galveston Island

They say the animals are a mixture of red wolves and coyotes and say the packs on Galveston Island may hold the key to a species’ survival....

https://www.khou.com/article/life/a...285-5ca4b4f3-21c4-4b2f-b91a-4bf00ce31e52

Make America Great Again

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8664921 08/15/22 04:19 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I've read quite a bit on the subject (there's a huge study I began reading but haven't finished) but genetically there are no pure wolves, coyotes, etc. I'm not 100% just yet but I'm still leaning towards the theory that "red wolves" are really just coyote/wolf hybrids with more wolf characteristics.

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: DonPablo] #8689645 09/17/22 10:05 AM
W
waderaider1 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
W
Originally Posted by DonPablo
I've read quite a bit on the subject (there's a huge study I began reading but haven't finished) but genetically there are no pure wolves, coyotes, etc. I'm not 100% just yet but I'm still leaning towards the theory that "red wolves" are really just coyote/wolf hybrids with more wolf characteristics.

maybe but they do exist. i showed pics of one i shot in 2013 to my game warden. 65# dog which looks like a red wolf. we have terrible fawn survival in lee county near dime box. i have captured twice on camera. He said red wolfs are extinct in Texas.but all the neighbors say they are wolfs. i heard the wolfs howl this past sunday morning while sitting in the stand at 3am playing with a new night scope. definitely different than the coyotes. Warden said was coydog hybrid. Grand Parents always complained about the wolfs getting in the chicken coup. these dogs are twice the size of a coyote.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...aWFUQTcxeUdRLTlweHppOXNfcmFMeVJ6bXpfM2J3[/img]

Last edited by waderaider1; 09/17/22 10:29 AM.
Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: waderaider1] #8689674 09/17/22 12:01 PM
T
thermal time Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by waderaider1

maybe but they do exist. i showed pics of one i shot in 2013 to my game warden. 65# dog which looks like a red wolf. we have terrible fawn survival in lee county near dime box. i have captured twice on camera. He said red wolfs are extinct in Texas.but all the neighbors say they are wolfs. i heard the wolfs howl this past sunday morning while sitting in the stand at 3am playing with a new night scope. definitely different than the coyotes. Warden said was coydog hybrid. Grand Parents always complained about the wolfs getting in the chicken coup. these dogs are twice the size of a coyote.

[img]https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...aWFUQTcxeUdRLTlweHppOXNfcmFMeVJ6bXpfM2J3[/img]

I have shot a number of Coywolves' in Madison County starting back in 2018. This year we are having a big problem with fawn survival. Other ranchers nearby are voicing same concern. There is a good documentary called "Meet the Coywolf". Check it out as very informative. They have been here for quite some time.

He's a perfect stranger like a cross of himself and a fox.
He's a feeling arranger and a changer of the ways he talks.
He's the unforeseen danger and the keeper of the key to the locks.
Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: thermal time] #8690104 09/18/22 12:33 AM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by thermal time
I have shot a number of Coywolves' in Madison County starting back in 2018. This year we are having a big problem with fawn survival. Other ranchers nearby are voicing same concern. There is a good documentary called "Meet the Coywolf". Check it out as very informative. They have been here for quite some time.

I'm almost 100% convinced that coywolfs are exactly what red wolves are/we're.

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8694621 09/24/22 01:41 PM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
These where taken from Liberty County Texas in the last few years. [Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Pappashack] #8694663 09/24/22 03:05 PM
T
thermal time Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted by Pappashack
These where taken from Liberty County Texas in the last few years.

How much do you think each of the two in your photos weigh? Nice scope BTW. Have not seen one with black hair yet.

He's a perfect stranger like a cross of himself and a fox.
He's a feeling arranger and a changer of the ways he talks.
He's the unforeseen danger and the keeper of the key to the locks.
Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8695004 09/24/22 11:36 PM
P
Pappashack Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
Around 50 ish.

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8697863 09/28/22 10:36 PM
S
StevieRay54 Offline
Light Foot
Light Foot
S
Population of people are destroying habitat. Forcing varmints more and more to be exposed and find new habitat to survive in

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8711666 10/18/22 12:44 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
I was reading an article yesterday about Mexican gray wolves. Looking at the picture in the article, I can't help but feel like the way that species and subspecies are determined really needs to be overhauled. There are no pure wolves genetically and there are no pure coyotes genetically.

All coyotes have some wolf in them and all wolves have some coyote in them. Let that sink in.

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8712640 10/19/22 01:53 PM
G
goosebuster Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
We had a family farm in Corsicana growing up. I remember my mom always saying when she was young, the men would hang all the wolves they killed on the fence posts. Could have been coyotes, but who knows. That would have been late 60s early 70s.

Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: DonPablo] #8712885 10/19/22 07:04 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
I was reading an article yesterday about Mexican gray wolves. Looking at the picture in the article, I can't help but feel like the way that species and subspecies are determined really needs to be overhauled. There are no pure wolves genetically and there are no pure coyotes genetically.

All coyotes have some wolf in them and all wolves have some coyote in them. Let that sink in.

While true that’s kind overstated.

Eastern red wolf is all but about breed out by yotes, Galveston being an example. Meat eater had a really good pod cast in eastern red wolf program and why program ultimately failed

Found it. Great pod cast if you are into these things
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-274-farewell-red-wolf

Mexican grey wolf issue is different as it suffers from genetic diversity more then domestic or yote influence. I use to go to ghost ranch all the time as a kid, little did I know how special those wolves where. Crazy it’s literally a ghost town there now. No pun intended

As far as Canadian grey, it’s minimal yote influence. All it takes is a size comparison to figure out why

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: Tbar] #8713015 10/19/22 10:18 PM
Inge0071 Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
One of the better trackers I know snapped this photo a few years ago.

Right at 70lbs. Look at those eyes.

[Linked Image]

Pro Deo et patria
Re: Galveston Island "Ghost Wolves"...??? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8713532 10/20/22 04:44 PM
D
DonPablo Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
While true that’s kind overstated.

Eastern red wolf is all but about breed out by yotes, Galveston being an example. Meat eater had a really good pod cast in eastern red wolf program and why program ultimately failed

Found it. Great pod cast if you are into these things
https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-274-farewell-red-wolf

Mexican grey wolf issue is different as it suffers from genetic diversity more then domestic or yote influence. I use to go to ghost ranch all the time as a kid, little did I know how special those wolves where. Crazy it’s literally a ghost town there now. No pun intended

As far as Canadian grey, it’s minimal yote influence. All it takes is a size comparison to figure out why

That's what I'm saying. I don't believe red wolves and Mexican grays are a different kind of wolf but rather the same wolf, only more hybridized. Wolves with much more coyote genes mixed in.

Last edited by DonPablo; 10/20/22 04:45 PM.
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide