Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: chalet] #8688392 09/15/22 08:24 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by chalet
We gutted / plucked all dove growing up. Mom fried them whole, probably one side at a time. Always had potatoes, pintos and gravy with them. I never knew there was another way til I got to college. First time I breasted a dove around my Dad he about had a heart attack because I was "wasting all that meat."

Same here. ...many "city folk" were not invited back to hunt if they were seen breasting a bird back in the old days.

I still pluck them and keep the hearts and gizzards. When I prep them to fry, I'll remove the legs and take the breasts off the bone. Then dust in flour and fry. The fried legs with necks connected fry up great. The necks get crispy and we eat them too. Occasionally, I'll toss the fried breast nuggets in wing sauce to change things up. But the legs are my favorite.

Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: driedmeat] #8688439 09/15/22 09:50 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C
Originally Posted by driedmeat
We gutted / plucked all dove growing up. Mom fried them whole, probably one side at a time. Always had potatoes, pintos and gravy with them. I never knew there was another way til I got to college. First time I breasted a dove around my Dad he about had a heart attack because I was "wasting all that meat."

Same here. ...many "city folk" were not invited back to hunt if they were seen breasting a bird back in the old days.

I still pluck them and keep the hearts and gizzards. When I prep them to fry, I'll remove the legs and take the breasts off the bone. Then dust in flour and fry. The fried legs with necks connected fry up great. The necks get crispy and we eat them too. Occasionally, I'll toss the fried breast nuggets in wing sauce to change things up. But the legs are my favorite.

You must be related to Mom. She loves the legs, still asks me to pick a couple when we hunt and always want the turkey neck at Thanksgiving.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: driedmeat] #8688544 09/16/22 12:07 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S

Alright, you’re gonna have to explain to me how the legs attach to the neck.

Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: Sneaky] #8688573 09/16/22 12:36 AM
D
driedmeat Offline
Tracker
Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I have to go through the process here to explain it…. First step is to pull off the head and pull out the craw. After the bird is plucked, you take game shears and snip off the tail. Then you run the scissor up the cavity and cut it right up the back bone.. Then you open the cavity and pull out the guts. Now you have a carcass that looks like a miniature whole chicken. The legs attach to the back bone as does the ribs and neck. The ribs and neck both crisp up when they’re fried. Good eats!

Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: BigPig] #8688578 09/16/22 12:44 AM
P
pnh Online Content
Extreme Tracker
Online Content
Extreme Tracker
P
Fried was the only way I knew growing up. Now I like to marinate in Italian Dressing with the jalapeño and bacon.

Character is what you do when nobody's looking.
Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: driedmeat] #8688596 09/16/22 12:58 AM
S
Sneaky Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted by Sneaky

I have to go through the process here to explain it…. First step is to pull off the head and pull out the craw. After the bird is plucked, you take game shears and snip off the tail. Then you run the scissor up the cavity and cut it right up the back bone.. Then you open the cavity and pull out the guts. Now you have a carcass that looks like a miniature whole chicken. The legs attach to the back bone as does the ribs and neck. The ribs and neck both crisp up when they’re fried. Good eats!

Okay, that makes sense. Thank you.

Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: BigPig] #8688723 09/16/22 03:23 AM
B
BigPig Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Fried them. Tossed them in Buffalo sauce and some in bbq sauce for the kid. They were great. Wife and kid loved them. Super tender and delicious.
[Linked Image]

Re: Chicken fried dove? [Re: BigPig] #8689699 09/17/22 12:50 PM
P
Paluxy Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Looks good! food

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index