Forums46
Topics540,187
Posts9,759,253
Members87,208
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: freerange] #8662195 08/12/22 09:33 AM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Originally Posted by freerange
Thank you David Mass. Swaro hasn’t seemed to get much love yet on here. I had just ordered my first and was considering second guessing. From what little I know, it seems that the high end Swaro are not as well liked as other higher end.

Z6 non-illuminated and above. They are not liked because people like to twist turrets and they aren't known to be durable or reliable in that arena.

The 3 I have all have the BT turrets, 2 Plex reticles and the new one with the BRH reticle. Using their online ballistic calculator you can use the "tree" style reticle out to over1700yds on the lowest power and 736yds on the max power with the 6.5-280 Ackley and 140gr VLD-H bullets.

There are tons of better, more rugged and reliable dialing scopes out there for continuous twisting, but none to match the glass in the upper end models. I don't need a "Timex" optic, I need to be able to see and judge what I am shooting.

I just hate the trend of going all Illuminated on the Z6 and Z8 models, adds unnecessary weight for my use.

If I wanted a twister with Swaro glass, I'd get a Kahles.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: David Maas] #8662286 08/12/22 12:44 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by David Maas
Thank you David Mass. Swaro hasn’t seemed to get much love yet on here. I had just ordered my first and was considering second guessing. From what little I know, it seems that the high end Swaro are not as well liked as other higher end.

Z6 non-illuminated and above. They are not liked because people like to twist turrets and they aren't known to be durable or reliable in that arena.

The 3 I have all have the BT turrets, 2 Plex reticles and the new one with the BRH reticle. Using their online ballistic calculator you can use the "tree" style reticle out to over1700yds on the lowest power and 736yds on the max power with the 6.5-280 Ackley and 140gr VLD-H bullets.

And it's a convoluted, proprietary reticle that isn't Mil or MOA. It takes a ton of extra work to get it to play out.

Different magnification settings creat different holds, reticle sub tensions mean different things. That is the stiff that is confusing, that is the stuff that gives people trouble. Many have called me with their eyes crossed, confused. I convinced them to let me loan them a scope. They sold or traded their Swarovski within a few days.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662305 08/12/22 01:04 PM
R
redchevy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
R
Wasn’t even aware swaro created their own system. Sounds like I’m not smart enough to operate it.

It's hell eatin em live
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: redchevy] #8662363 08/12/22 01:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by redchevy
Wasn’t even aware swaro created their own system. Sounds like I’m not smart enough to operate it.

Leupold has one too. I had to draw this out for someone, in May, after I got done with their rifle.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8662409 08/12/22 02:29 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by J.G.

And it's a convoluted, proprietary reticle that isn't Mil or MOA. It takes a ton of extra work to get it to play out.

Different magnification settings creat different holds, reticle sub tensions mean different things. That is the stiff that is confusing, that is the stuff that gives people trouble. Many have called me with their eyes crossed, confused. I convinced them to let me loan them a scope. They sold or traded their Swarovski within a few days.

If you want to twist on a turret. Swaro makes a great repeatable scope for a SFP. Pretty sure it’s MOA or Mrad on both reticle and turret as options, but I’ve been wrong before. It’s best glass in the business. Period

Its also way more scope then Freerange needs, it’s also not what he is looking for.

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8662422 08/12/22 02:43 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown

If you want to twist on a turret. Swaro makes a great repeatable scope for a SFP. Pretty sure it’s MOA or Mrad on both reticle and turret as options, but I’ve been wrong before. It’s best glass in the business. Period

Its also way more scope then Freerange needs, it’s also not what he is looking for.

GAWD DANGIT!

We are talking about making holds with the reticle!

Not touching any turrets.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662634 08/12/22 07:53 PM
D
David Maas Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
D
Actually, once you use the calculator, it's fairly simple to create a card using 2 or 3 powers, reference chart, fire away. thing about it, until I fully used their glass, I didn't know what good glass was. 18x that rarely sees anything above 6-8 power unless I want to look at a buck.

NRA Endowed Patriot Life Benefactor
GOA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
NSCA Life Member
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: David Maas] #8662674 08/12/22 08:47 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Actually, once you use the calculator, it's fairly simple to create a card using 2 or 3 powers, reference chart, fire away. thing about it, until I fully used their glass, I didn't know what good glass was. 18x that rarely sees anything above 6-8 power unless I want to look at a buck.

Or this way.

[Linked Image]

Which one is more simple?

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8662709 08/12/22 09:26 PM
J
Judd Offline
#1 Creedmoor Fan
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J

Or this way.

[Linked Image]

Why you gots metric measurements on your stock? bolt peep

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662745 08/12/22 10:23 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
I put that drop data on blue masking tape and stick it on the front bell of the scope, except for the CDS scopes.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8662775 08/12/22 10:51 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S

Leupold has one too. I had to draw this out for someone, in May, after I got done with their rifle.

[Linked Image]

I really don’t get the resistance of some to Mil or MOA hash marks on your scope. For me being a simpleton, the mil with 1/2 mil increments is the simplest do all reticle.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662786 08/12/22 11:02 PM
10mmillie Offline
Woodsman
Woodsman
Vortex

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8662798 08/12/22 11:20 PM
BOBO the Clown Offline
kind of a big deal
kind of a big deal

GAWD DANGIT!

We are talking about making holds with the reticle!

Not touching any turrets.

Swaro X5 has a mil reticle

Bottom line, never trust a man whose uncle was eaten by cannibals.-Sen Joni Ernst
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: scottfromdallas] #8662799 08/12/22 11:22 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas
I really don’t get the resistance of some to Mil or MOA hash marks on your scope. For me being a simpleton, the mil with 1/2 mil increments is the simplest do all reticle.

Exactly right.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662838 08/13/22 12:21 AM
D
Dzhitshard Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
Nobody is giving me these things anymore, no company is paying me to use them, and I'm not counting on cross leveling parts between them.

I'll buy whatever optic fits within my specs wish list and budget constraints. That varies but use parameters.
It seems odd to me to marry a brand

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8662913 08/13/22 01:48 AM
B
Big Sam Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
B
You youngsters should have been around in the 70's and 80's. The biggest challenge with a scope was it not leaking (nitrogen) or breaking. It did not seem to matter the price of the scope. They were all subject to failure. Now even cheap scopes are better than the expensive ones from 50 years ago. The glass is better and the coatings are a LOT better. And the best scopes today are freaking amazing optically. They are all a lot tougher.

"Group think" is not thinking. It is the lack of independent thought. It is a cancer of the mind.
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: J.G.] #8662981 08/13/22 03:15 AM
G
Gone to Texas Online Content OP
Veteran Tracker
OP Online Content
Veteran Tracker
G

Or this way.

[Linked Image]

Well that’s as handy as a pocket on a shirt. I’m going to use this idea.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663071 08/13/22 12:29 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We all know about blue painters tape. Later on they developed the green one, which is made to be higher adhesion. It will stay on the stock for many months.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663218 08/13/22 04:30 PM
Q
QMC SW/EXW Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
Q
Leupold has always done what I need them to do and most of my rifles wear one of their scopes.

Retired Navy Chief
NJROTC Instructor for Tascosa High School
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: scottfromdallas] #8663293 08/13/22 06:09 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by scottfromdallas

[Linked Image]

Scott, I dont want to beat this to death, since Ive addressed on another thread, but you asked a question that I can answer for you. At least for me, I can answer it, and I know full well that everyones situation is different.
First of all, us old school guys dont even know what a "MIL or MOA hash mark" is, so its the uncertainty of something different. And in my case, I have been extremely successful deer hunting, so, if its not broke, I may not want to fix it.
Second of all, I am a Trophy deer hunter that only pulls the trigger once every few years because I am so picky about my target animal. SOMETIMES, when I finally get a shot at a buck of a lifetime, I will only have a few seconds to shoulder, aim and shoot. The shooting process needs to be fast and AUTOMATIC without any thinking or clutter/confusion.
I put THE THE crosshair(big one in the middle) on vital and squeeze.
If he is 250 I put THE crosshair a little high and squeeze.
If he is 275 I put THE crosshair a little higher and squeeze.
If he is 300 I put THE crosshair at his back and squeeze.
If he is farther than 300 I wait or I get closer.
I hope that helps. People look at things they think are similar, but they are looking at it through different filters, so they see different things.
For the first time in my life, I am considering getting into target shooting and that may happen next year. When that does, I am sure I will be learning all about this new fangled stuff and will be all over it. Not yet.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663306 08/13/22 06:41 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
New?

"In the late 1970s, U.S. Marine Corps Capt. Jack C. Cuddy was challenged to find a more exact way for Marine snipers to estimate range. After experimenting with various ways to use the mil system in a rifle scope, Cuddy settled on the system we see today, found not just in the USMC's 10x Unertl but in many other scopes all around the world."

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663323 08/13/22 07:06 PM
F
freerange Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F
To me "new fangled" doesnt have to mean "new." These "new to me" reticles are just out of my bailiwick because its not common to everyday deer hunters like it is to high end shooters that also hunt.
Evidently its been used a long time by the military to kill PEOPLE at LONG RANGE, but IMO it has been only relatively recent that its been used by many every day deer hunters that most often never shoot over 200 yards.
I would be curious to know how many of the total deer hunters in America 20 years ago were using anything but a basic reticle. Thats why I say these "newer" reticles are new fangled.

Understand, I dont have a problem with those that use them, and I may start, and they may be the wave of the future, but they have NOT been common for everyday deer hunters for very long.

Now I have my first round of game camera pics to go through, so yall carry on and hopefully get back to topic.

Last edited by freerange; 08/13/22 07:07 PM.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: freerange] #8663335 08/13/22 07:24 PM
J
Jgraider Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J

I put THE THE crosshair(big one in the middle) on vital and squeeze.
If he is 250 I put THE crosshair a little high and squeeze.
If he is 275 I put THE crosshair a little higher and squeeze.
If he is 300 I put THE crosshair at his back and squeeze.
If he is farther than 300 I wait or I get closer.

Don't let anyone tell you any different. This method, with your equipment that you like and are familiar with, will be very effective. I did basically the same thing for years and it flat out works. Killing deer sized game really isn't very hard, and millions of animals have died doing it the way you described. Move forward with your plan and enjoy it. It will work.

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663338 08/13/22 07:29 PM
Wilson Combat Online Content
Boar Meister
Online Content
Boar Meister
I'm referring to a "common hunting scope" for out to 350yds

#1 Trijicon Accupoint 3-9x40 crosshair/green dot (overall my favorite daytime hunting scope)
#2 Sig Whiskey 3 3-9x40 illuminated (great value for the money)
#3 Pre-China Burris FF2 and Droptine 3-9x40 BDC
#4 Pre-China Bushnell Elite 3-9x40 or 2.5-10x40 or 3-10x40

I used to be a major Leupold fan and their VX2 and VX-R series were GREAT. Not as keen on the newer ones and don't like the way they only keep a model in the product line for a short period and then discontinue it!!! VX-R series and the VX Freedom 3-9x40 illuminated are examples. I think Sig hired several of their best people away from them.

I simply can't bring myself to "knowingly" buy ANYTHING made by the Communist Peoples Republic of CHINA !!!

Re: What scope brand is your favorite? [Re: Gone to Texas] #8663350 08/13/22 07:57 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Freerange,

Out to 300, what you described certainly works fine especially with a flatter shooting cartridge zeroed at 200 yards. The hold over at 300 is minimal.

I generally shoot a 308 and hash marks are just a more exact ruler for drop then figuring out a hold over on animals of various sizes. Almost all my shots are under 200 yards where I don’t need them. I don’t have much experience holding for distance on live animals so a mil hash reticle is just a good tool for me should I need it.

cheers

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide