F
freerange Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by KK30RAR
Originally Posted by freerange
Never heard of a corn bank. I will probably not be the one to eat that first oyster. Seems like more parts to go bad.

I’ve been using them for 5 years now with no issues.

Ok. That’s one. Anyone else heard of em and have good report?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8663938 08/14/22 02:37 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by KK30RAR
Never heard of a corn bank. I will probably not be the one to eat that first oyster. Seems like more parts to go bad.

I’ve been using them for 5 years now with no issues.

Ok. That’s one. Anyone else heard of em and have good report?

Yes and I think everyone of your 25 feeders should have one. Maybe you can get a volume discount. If not, return your new binos for a refund and it will all wash.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8664989 08/15/22 06:07 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Never heard of them but look interesting as many feeders as I am running on 3 different places and the cost of corn these days. I have cages on all of mine with an additional layer of course hail screen to prevent reach thru. I don't mind if the corn drops straight down though.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665003 08/15/22 06:17 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
I’m declaring war on coons. Besides trying to further coon proof the feeders, I’m going to try trapping.

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665011 08/15/22 06:29 PM
M
maximum Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
M
. . . I’m going to try trapping.

If you're tired of raising fat coons, that's what
you have to do.

Last edited by maximum; 08/15/22 06:29 PM.
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: PMK] #8665040 08/15/22 07:09 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by PMK
Never heard of them but look interesting as many feeders as I am running on 3 different places and the cost of corn these days. I have cages on all of mine with an additional layer of course hail screen to prevent reach thru. I don't mind if the corn drops straight down though.

Pmk, you been around the block and your situation may be different, so I won’t tell you what to do, but I really see a difference when corn is slung further. If corn is mostly close to feeder a dominant deer can keep others away. Especially if you have potential for a lot of deer at same time they will all be spread out around the perimeter. It can also take them longer to get it all eaten if they have to work for it.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665050 08/15/22 07:18 PM
T
TLew Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
T
We put 8 coons back into the circle of life this past weekend. Unfortunately, pics from last night show that we need to do 3 or 4x that to make a dent

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: TLew] #8665057 08/15/22 07:24 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Originally Posted by TLew
We put 8 coons back into the circle of life this past weekend. Unfortunately, pics from last night show that we need to do 3 or 4x that to make a dent

That’s what I’m afraid of. I still think it takes em a bit to figure out reaching all the way in(wishful thinking), so maybe the new crew will have a learning curve.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665356 08/16/22 01:13 AM
C
Chopperdrvr Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
C

I’m declaring war on coons. Besides trying to further coon proof the feeders, I’m going to try trapping.

I'm with you, I am drawing up the articles of war right now.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: Chopperdrvr] #8665582 08/16/22 11:22 AM
kry226 Online Content
The General
Online Content
The General
Originally Posted by Chopperdrvr

I'm with you, I am drawing up the articles of war right now.

up flag

[Linked Image]
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665742 08/16/22 02:32 PM
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
I'm not sure that coon above was 5-6 years old...you're killing the young ones...you need to let them get old before you shoot them. wink

They can't reach Ramball's spinner plate...but they come almost every nite and rake their hands/arm within the plates to push the corn stuck on the plates. I was notified Friday that my 22 suppressor got paroled...so my plan is to put my thermal on my new Bergara 22 and give them hell. That'll be a lot more fun than trapping and I can take a kid or two with me and let them in on the fun. I'll likely give it a test run during Sept but will plan to really ramp up the killing in Feb/Mar next year.

Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8665926 08/16/22 05:46 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Im loaded up with duct tape and bailing wire to see if I can keep them off the spinner......
Some metal flashing and screws as well.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8666183 08/16/22 10:38 PM
Pootie Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
Pootie, Im not familiar with TSC feeders. Do you think they are about the same size plates(23/24") that I referred to?

Yes, and 9.5" to the edge of the spinner.

If you find yourself feeling useless, remember it took 20 years, trillions of dollars, and four presidents to replace the Taliban with the Taliban.

Sometimes the Universe puts you in the same situation again to see if you’re still a dumbass.
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8666575 08/17/22 01:45 PM
P
PMK Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by PMK

Pmk, you been around the block and your situation may be different, so I won’t tell you what to do, but I really see a difference when corn is slung further. If corn is mostly close to feeder a dominant deer can keep others away. Especially if you have potential for a lot of deer at same time they will all be spread out around the perimeter. It can also take them longer to get it all eaten if they have to work for it.

I agree with you but on my place SW of Ozona, all my pens are pretty small, so a full on spin would sling most of the corn outside the pen and feed the feral cattle, horses and hogs. Most pens are on a solid rock shelf and virtually impossible to put in t-posts without a hammer drill, reason for small pens.

My feeders in central TX I put an additional layer of welded wire that is a bit smaller than the cage opening, plenty of corn still gets slung outside but openings too small for coons to reach thru.

"everyone that lives dies but not everyone who dies lived..."

~PMK~
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8667253 08/18/22 01:01 AM
H
howl Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
H
Corn bank works if you use a solar charger to keep it topped off. Doesn't like being under transmission lines either.

Auger style feeders are coon proof, too.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8670056 08/21/22 04:40 PM
A
Ag Hoff 90 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
The stand and fill feeders that have the flat plates at the bottom to deter varmits are all the rage and for good reason. They are thought to be varmint proof but I do not think they are. Its been mentioned a little on here before but I feel its worth getting specific about. Most dont like the cages cause they knock corn down and the eliminator type spinner isnt fool proof either. I think the plate style is best but the manufacturers need to tweak it some.
We have 3 different styles, including Bucees that are all very similar. The plates are about 23 to 24" across. This makes it about a 9 to 10" reach for a coon to the spinner. Its not easy but if a coon has long arms, is hungry and industrious, then he can reach the spinner. It must not be easy cause they dont drain them. I have meant to put up a camera with video to show it but I havent. I have a lot of pics with them spending a lot of time there. I also closely document usage and some that have more coons are definitely going through more corn. Yes, corn will sit on the plates and thats easy for them to get, but this is more than that.
I plan to extend the plate the 2.5" or so to get them out to the same as the hopper that serves as the top plate. I hope thats enough, until they start using sticks which maybe they already have. If anyone has any more ideas about this or how to fix then let us all know. For those of you that dont monitor your usage closely, you just wouldnt know.

This is what I did to mine when it was new last summer. Bought the metal plates at Home Depot. You'll also note that I added crossbars to the legs and rattle canned the exterior green to eliminate nighttime camera flash.

[Linked Image]

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8670175 08/21/22 07:04 PM
F
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
AGHoff, awesome. Thanks for the pic. Exactly what I plan to do. How does that stuff come at Home Depot? How thick is it? Cost? I bought some "flashing" that seems like its not think enough to keep them from bending it down. I started on just one side of one of ours and it was a real pain to work under it with the feeder full. I have 11 to do.

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8670248 08/21/22 08:46 PM
A
Ag Hoff 90 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
A
I bought those four sheets at that size from HD. Can't recall the gauge/thickness, but find the ones with the red & white sticker that are in pic. I think they were around $8 each. Was going to buy the sheets that were the next size thinner but figured there is no harm in overbuilding!

Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: freerange] #8699024 09/30/22 03:49 PM
E
Eland Slayer Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
E
We have been using these stand and fill feeders by Texas Hunter Products for 6-7 years.....and I'll never use anything else. They are the best feeder I've ever used (basically like a giant version of their automatic fish feeder design). 100% coon & hog proof. They are pricey, but most good feeders are nowadays.

https://www.texashunterproducts.com/texas-hunter-500-lb-hide-a-way-stand-and-fill-deer-feeder/

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram
Re: Coon proof feeders....Nope [Re: Eland Slayer] #8699050 09/30/22 04:25 PM
H
Hudbone Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
H
Originally Posted by Eland Slayer
We have been using these stand and fill feeders by Texas Hunter Products for 6-7 years.....and I'll never use anything else. They are the best feeder I've ever used (basically like a giant version of their automatic fish feeder design). 100% coon & hog proof. They are pricey, but most good feeders are nowadays.

https://www.texashunterproducts.com/texas-hunter-500-lb-hide-a-way-stand-and-fill-deer-feeder/

These are costly, but a great product. You can set them up to the side and not ever see them. If hunting a penned area, they can be set on the fence line or in a corner and can filled from outside the pen without having to enter.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide