Page 1 of 2 1 2
$$ charging elect cars ???? #8634561 07/05/22 02:21 AM
B
booskay Offline OP
Tracker
OP Offline
Tracker
B
With more and more elect cars, they will start running out of gas ( electricity) along the interstate/streets/highways. They have to get towed. Towing fee is +/- $200.
My idea is to get a generator and recharge them along the road, takes about 30minutes, and charge the same as a towing fee. If you did 10 a day, that would be $2K a day. Information on kw to charge, and almost any info is very difficult to find. Here is a generator 75kw that would probably do it,,, dont know the price on the generator yet. --------------------- Bell county does not have a charging station, the closest one is in N. Waco. ------- as much as I can figure out, there is only 1 in Waco.
Just thinking out loud.
[Linked Image]

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634578 07/05/22 03:04 AM
Bee'z Offline
The Beedazzler
The Beedazzler
Uncle Chet did rocky mountain race week and towed one that size to charge his tesla plaid.

[Linked Image]
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634618 07/05/22 09:02 AM
N
ntxtrapper Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
N
Sparkcharge is company that does that. They were on Shark Tank about 2-3 years ago.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634659 07/05/22 12:53 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Listen, they could put a small generator at each wheel or even 1 wheel for that matter and recharge as you drive. Now you can't say that an "engineer" can not design an electric car that charges itself. You have to work very hard to NOT design a charger into the system. Such a foolish and easily deceived people we are.
Besides, if solar is the "future", why are they not charging with solar panel roof, trunk, hood?

Just like Jesus, sometimes you gotta kill some hogs.
Lone Star Mesquite . com
RattleSnake Dan's Shredding Service
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634687 07/05/22 01:35 PM
603Country Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Trying to get the electric car to charge itself by using it’s battery powered motion to charge that same battery is akin to a perpetual motion machine. But the solar panel idea seems obvious.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634688 07/05/22 01:40 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted by RattlesnakeDan
Listen, they could put a small generator at each wheel or even 1 wheel for that matter and recharge as you drive. Now you can't say that an "engineer" can not design an electric car that charges itself. You have to work very hard to NOT design a charger into the system. Such a foolish and easily deceived people we are.
Besides, if solar is the "future", why are they not charging with solar panel roof, trunk, hood?

I'm designing an airplane with several mini wind turbines on each wing to charge the main motor as it flies. Want to go along for the inaugural flight?

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634690 07/05/22 01:45 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Friend of mine has a Hybrid F150. He was told it recharges when brakes are applied. I guess that would work ok for driving I. Town. What a hiway road trip though?

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634695 07/05/22 01:47 PM
TKM Online Content
Tracker
Online Content
Tracker

The generator will work as a brake will generating, no net energy gained.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634714 07/05/22 02:19 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
So in the 70's we had the technology to run a light with no battery or electricity but today we don't. huh?
Example: My bicycle that I rode everywhere had a small light on it for those late night rides home. You just flipped the lever down so the little gear rode against your tire and it created power for your light as long as you were moving.
I also have a flashlight that you squeeze the handle a few times and your battery is charged up and ready to go. Yes you can squeeze it while the light is on if it gets weak and it does not stop the generation of power, it works just fine. So you say that adding a generator/alternator would stop the power flow. Good thing that doesn't apply to my pickup trucks battery or it would drain it the more It charged. Hmmm

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634720 07/05/22 02:34 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D
So in the 70's we had the technology to run a light with no battery or electricity but today we don't. huh?
Example: My bicycle that I rode everywhere had a small light on it for those late night rides home. You just flipped the lever down so the little gear rode against your tire and it created power for your light as long as you were moving.
I also have a flashlight that you squeeze the handle a few times and your battery is charged up and ready to go. Yes you can squeeze it while the light is on if it gets weak and it does not stop the generation of power, it works just fine. So you say that adding a generator/alternator would stop the power flow. Good thing that doesn't apply to my pickup trucks battery or it would drain it the more It charged. Hmmm

I assume you have not read up on "perpetual motion". Do so before you dig too deep a hole.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634724 07/05/22 02:37 PM
C
chalet Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
C

Your gas powered engine runs the alternator which chargers your battery. Your legs pumped your bike pedals which turned the wheel which powered your light.

Friction eats up energy, Its pretty simple.

Shoot. Eat. Repeat.
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: chalet] #8634734 07/05/22 02:58 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by chalet

Your gas powered engine runs the alternator which chargers your battery. Your legs pumped your bike pedals which turned the wheel which powered your light.

Friction eats up energy, Its pretty simple.

Understandable. But...if the energy input to the batteries is even a small fraction over the output you are using then you have perpetual motion in a sense. There is no reason to stop and charge the system. On your gas vehicle even with the lights and ac and maybe AC/DC playing on your thump thump machine the input is regulated to not overcharge or undercharge for that particular system.

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634735 07/05/22 03:01 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I guess those who oppose my thought process are saying that even with a small generator at all 4 wheels (using the wheels/hub system going around ) would not be able to handle the load that the batteries are using?

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634741 07/05/22 03:04 PM
TurkeyHunter Online Content
determined
Online Content
determined
I guess those who oppose my thought process are saying that even with a small generator at all 4 wheels (using the wheels/hub system going around ) would not be able to handle the load that the batteries are using?

It's not about opposing your idea. Simply that the physics do not work. The little generators on each wheel are going to use up more energy in the system than they produce. This is why you can't hook up a generator to an electric motor, mechanically and electrically, to have a perpetual motion machine.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8634754 07/05/22 03:23 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter

It's not about opposing your idea. Simply that the physics do not work. The little generators on each wheel are going to use up more energy in the system than they produce. This is why you can't hook up a generator to an electric motor, mechanically and electrically, to have a perpetual motion machine.

Can you not hook a generator to an electric motor? Because that was my next line of thought. I have a pto generator that spins at 540 rpm's. My proposition was to start it with an outside source (small gen) with and electric motor with a pulley and belt that would be geared to run at that rpm and then once it is up to speed I could flip a swith and have the generator itself run the electric motor that runs the pto creating a gasless generator system.

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634759 07/05/22 03:29 PM
P
Paluxy Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
P

Can you not hook a generator to an electric motor? Because that was my next line of thought. I have a pto generator that spins at 540 rpm's. My proposition was to start it with an outside source (small gen) with and electric motor with a pulley and belt that would be geared to run at that rpm and then once it is up to speed I could flip a swith and have the generator itself run the electric motor that runs the pto creating a gasless generator system.

You should do this and get back to us on your findings.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: Paluxy] #8634765 07/05/22 03:34 PM
determined
Online Content
determined
Originally Posted by Paluxy

And post a video.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: Paluxy] #8634775 07/05/22 03:47 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R

What is the difference if it is running an electric motor on your fridge or a grinder etc... or to an electric motor that is running the pto itself, the pto generator has no brain, it can't say "don't try to fool me, I know what you're up to".

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: Paluxy] #8634779 07/05/22 03:48 PM
T
Texas buckeye Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

This could work in a frictionless (something like an all magnetic, but even magnetic gearing has some "friction" involved) system, but we don't live in that world or have that tech yet.

The concept is valid, but as has been mentioned before, the attempts have been made by many before and all have failed. Please try, and when you succeed, you will become an instant gadzillion-aire.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: RattlesnakeDan] #8634784 07/05/22 03:57 PM
determined
Online Content
determined

What is the difference if it is running an electric motor on your fridge or a grinder etc... or to an electric motor that is running the pto itself, the pto generator has no brain, it can't say "don't try to fool me, I know what you're up to".

This is a good video:

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634789 07/05/22 04:08 PM
D
don k Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
D

It's not about opposing your idea. Simply that the physics do not work. The little generators on each wheel are going to use up more energy in the system than they produce. This is why you can't hook up a generator to an electric motor, mechanically and electrically, to have a perpetual motion machine. [/quote]
Can you not hook a generator to an electric motor? Because that was my next line of thought. I have a pto generator that spins at 540 rpm's. My proposition was to start it with an outside source (small gen) with and electric motor with a pulley and belt that would be geared to run at that rpm and then once it is up to speed I could flip a swith and have the generator itself run the electric motor that runs the pto creating a gasless generator system. [/quote]

You should do this and get back to us on your findings.[/quote]
[/quote]
Quit digging the hole you are in deeper.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: don k] #8634796 07/05/22 04:15 PM
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Q
Originally Posted by don k

Guy has a future in backhoe/trackhoe work, for sure.

[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8634825 07/05/22 04:57 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Originally Posted by don k

Guy has a future in backhoe/trackhoe work, for sure.

Great to know that I have a future. Thank you sir.

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634850 07/05/22 05:25 PM
S
Sewer rat Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
S
The impossibility of perpetual motion aside you are also not realizing how much power these electrical cars take. It is a lot. They have large batteries and the electricity they consume is probably more equivalent to what a starter motor draws starting an engine than the electric light powered by your bicycle wheel.

The batteries can be and I believe they are charged when braking which helps, but isn’t enough. Same with solar panels. They help but don’t have near enough output to charge the car in any useful timeframe. If a car was solid solar panels it might take a week or more in the sun to charge it one time.

Re: $$ charging elect cars ???? [Re: booskay] #8634855 07/05/22 05:34 PM
R
RattlesnakeDan Offline
Veteran Tracker
Veteran Tracker
R
I watched this guy and at about the 5 minute mark he explains it pretty good where the inefficiency of the devices would not allow for it to run itself. Interesting.
I have watched the quantum physics with cold and magnets but did not take into account pulling power from that source would actually just stop it from working.
Another day, another lost couple of hours. lol

https://youtu.be/sbdU7AkH6QM

Lone Star Mesquite . com
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide