Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: skinnerback] #8631159 06/29/22 07:18 PM
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by skinnerback
Originally Posted by BOBO the Clown
LOL, Here come the Tikka fan boy/Savage haters.

Of those two, I'd go with the Savage hands down. I own a bunch of Savage rifles and they just flat out shoot, my oldest go-to deer rifle is an old Savage 110 in 243 that I bought used 27 yrs ago. I have never had any trouble out of any of them, ever.....but all of mine are hunting rifles, I don't run them hard on the range like JG does putting thousands of rounds through them a year.

I've got a Tikka in the safe, nothing special. It just sits there.

Everyone has their flaws, it ok you like ugly guns. You are one of the few that would admit owning a savage in public. I can respect that….

My Tikka is freakin' ugly. They're the Glock of the rifle world. roflmao

That’s actually pretty far comparison .. lol

I don’t own tikka or Glock.

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8631161 06/29/22 07:20 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Of those two, I'd go with the Savage hands down. I own a bunch of Savage rifles and they just flat out shoot, my oldest go-to deer rifle is an old Savage 110 in 243 that I bought used 27 yrs ago. I have never had any trouble out of any of them, ever.....but all of mine are hunting rifles, I don't run them hard on the range like JG does putting thousands of rounds through them a year.

Everyone has their flaws, it ok you like ugly guns. You are one of the few that would admit owning a savage in public. I can respect that….

That’s actually pretty far comparison .. lol

I don’t own tikka or Glock.

Gotta good deal on the Tikka, couldn't pass it up....chambered in 243. Not sure what I want to do with it yet, it's brand new. Already have several 243's.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631163 06/29/22 07:21 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Get Judd drunk and talk him buy you a 7-08 for free grin

Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631166 06/29/22 07:23 PM
Adchunts Offline
Pro Tracker
Pro Tracker
I have both a Savage and a Tikka in 6.5 CM. The Savage was roughly half the cost of the Tikka. Both shoot 1/2 MOA or better groups with factory ammo. The Tikka is a “nicer” rifle, but I certainly don’t feel handicapped by using the Savage. Either one will put the bullet where it is supposed to go, assuming the nut behind the trigger does their job.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8631167 06/29/22 07:25 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Get Judd drunk and talk him into turning it into a 7-08 for free grin

clap nidea

Great idea. I don't own a 7-08, but always wanted one.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: skinnerback] #8631169 06/29/22 07:28 PM
T
txtrophy85 Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
T

I was never that impressed with Tikka.....they shot good and are slightly more attractive than a Savage but people talk about Tikka like they are devine art

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: txtrophy85] #8631174 06/29/22 07:30 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by txtrophy85

I was never that impressed with Tikka.....they shot good and are slightly more attractive than a Savage but people talk about Tikka like they are devine art

Iknowhah grin

I think most Savage rifles are perty. A Tikka reminds me of an ugly girlfriend. She'll always be there when you need her, dependable, but you don't really want to be seen in public with her.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: txtrophy85] #8631179 06/29/22 07:34 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

I do think Tikka and Bergera have been better at focusing on US consumer wants then the domestic brands as a whole IMO. Browning and Weatherby do seem to continue to lead the domestic brands though.

Weatherby actually surprised me here recently. Unfortunately they have kept much of their innovative in the Mark 5 price point

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: skinnerback] #8631183 06/29/22 07:36 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal

Iknowhah grin

I think most Savage rifles are perty. A Tikka reminds me of an ugly girlfriend. She'll always be there when you need her, dependable, but you don't really want to be seen in public with her.

Regardless of the quality of whiskey, a shrimper is still a shrimper, roflmao

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: BOBO the Clown] #8631184 06/29/22 07:37 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef

Iknowhah grin

Regardless of the quality of whiskey, a shrimper is still a shrimper, roflmao

rofl

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631198 06/29/22 07:50 PM
S
scottfromdallas Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
Write in vote for one of my favorites. Ruger 77 Hawkeye.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: txtrophy85] #8631203 06/29/22 07:53 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity

Savages and Tikkas shoot tight, both of em.

Tikka, takes cartridge from magazine, inserts it into chamber, 70° bolt throw to close.

Savage, takes cartridge from magazine, might not insert into chamber in first try. What I call the "Savage double stroke". Stupid, weak extractor design I can ruin with a ball point pen or a pocket knife.

Tikka, nicer trigger than Savage.

Tikka, 70° throw to open the bolt, will eject the empty brass.

Savage, 90° throw to open the bolt, might eject, might not eject. I have one that will never eject a brass, and I leave it that way. I don't want to lose brass on the Prairie dog towns. After three ejector springs in that one bolt, I gave up.

Tikka, side bolt release.

Old Savage, clunky thing on top, and you have to also squeeze the trigger to get the bolt to release. New Savage, bolt release on the bottom somewhat hidden.

No mystique, no art, no romance, just nuts and bolts of one machine over the other.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: skinnerback] #8631206 06/29/22 08:03 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U

I've always wanted a Winchester Supergrade, but that's $$. Can't beat a Savage for the price point. Savage and Mossberg are nowhere near the same ballpark.

I'm far from a Savage hater. Matter of fact, I love my Savage model 12. And yes, if I miss with that rifle, it's 100% my fault. Now, after that miss, if I am unable to take a quick follow up shot, it's probably my rifle's fault. The next rifle I buy probably won't be a Savage...but then again, the next rifle I buy will cost much more than my current Savage.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631207 06/29/22 08:06 PM
N
nesikabay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
N
Look up Buzz on this site he has owned more new guns than anyone here. he can point you the right direction

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: unclebubba] #8631212 06/29/22 08:10 PM
skinnerback Offline
THF Celebrity Chef
THF Celebrity Chef
Originally Posted by unclebubba

I've always wanted a Winchester Supergrade, but that's $$. Can't beat a Savage for the price point. Savage and Mossberg are nowhere near the same ballpark.

I'm far from a Savage hater. Matter of fact, I love my Savage model 12. And yes, if I miss with that rifle, it's 100% my fault. Now, after that miss, if I am unable to take a quick follow up shot, it's probably my rifle's fault. The next rifle I buy probably won't be a Savage...but then again, the next rifle I buy will cost much more than my current Savage.

Guess I've been lucky, have never had that issue. up Before I bought my first AR or got into night vision, my pig gun for years was that old 110 with an ND3 green laser light on it. Creep up on a sounder, hit the light, and give them hell. 5 shots as fast as possible before they were out of sight. Reload, go to the next field and do it again. Never an issue. Anyway, just my 2cents

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631217 06/29/22 08:23 PM
S
Smokey Bear Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
S
I own a Savage model 16 in .223 and a Tikka T3x lite in 7-08. Both are hunting rifles. Both stainless synthetic and a good comparison. Both shoot about the same accuracy wise. The Tikka action is smoother but I despise the small ejection port and am not a big fan of one size action regardless of the length of cartridges. I have man size hands and single loading is a pain in the tail. I am not a fan of the plastic Magazine but it has not given me any problems. I have not experienced the dreaded Savage ejector spring failure. I don’t know the exact round count but it has not seen hard use. Probably near 1,000 rounds in the Savage and less for the Tikka. Stocks on both are lacking. I guess I’m in the minority on this forum but I’m not one of the Tikka leg humpers. Mostly due to the small ejection port and the one size action. Savage actually has a true short action. Of the two I have, I like the Savage model 16 better. Both are very good shooting rifles and have functioned flawlessly.
I have no experience with Franchi rifles so of the two you listed I would buy a Savage.

Last edited by Smokey Bear; 06/29/22 08:30 PM.

Smokey Bear---Lone Star State.
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: nesikabay] #8631218 06/29/22 08:25 PM
J.G. Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by nesikabay
Look up Buzz on this site he has owned more new guns than anyone here. he can point you the right direction

Terrible advice!

Buzz has owned a bunch of different new guns.

Buzz HAS NOT actually shot a bunch if different new guns.

[Linked Image]
800 Yard Steel Range
Precision Rifle Instruction
Memberships and Classes Available
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: skinnerback] #8631226 06/29/22 08:43 PM
U
unclebubba Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
U
Originally Posted by unclebubba

Guess I've been lucky, have never had that issue. up Before I bought my first AR or got into night vision, my pig gun for years was that old 110 with an ND3 green laser light on it. Creep up on a sounder, hit the light, and give them hell. 5 shots as fast as possible before they were out of sight. Reload, go to the next field and do it again. Never an issue. Anyway, just my 2cents

Yep. I've had Savages that ran fine in the past. I've had some that didn't...But even the ones that ran fine weren't the smoothest.

Edit: the extraction issue with my current Savage isn't from long term use. It didn't eject the very first round I put in the rifle.

Last edited by unclebubba; 06/29/22 08:48 PM.
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631252 06/29/22 09:31 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Only Savage I own is a Model 99 in .300 Savage with a brass counter. It would definitely be my saddle gun, if I had a saddle...or a horse.

Never been drawn to the modern Savage rifles. One son-in-law bought a Savage Axis in .308 with the pre-mounted scope package "deal." Peeyew. I still have to finish helping him sight it in. Talk about painting lipstick on a pig.

'Don't know why only one other guy on here suggests Ruger. I like 'em.

This thread has inspired me to pull out from the back of the safe my bought used...Remington Mod. 700...LH...in .30-06. shocked It killed most of the plains game on my walls.

OP - splurge, as much as you can possibly get by any woman in your life, on a really good scope.

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631263 06/29/22 09:41 PM
N
newguy00 Offline OP
Light Foot
OP Offline
Light Foot
N
thanks for all the insight. i knew not to many people would have much on the Franchi, and had seen the issues about Savages weak extractor but wanted a wider test audience which you guys thankfully provided. so i am re-assessing my options. Tikka and Weatherby were both on my original radar and with info i will prob lean back toward the Tikka

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631272 06/29/22 10:00 PM
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Originally Posted by newguy00
thanks for all the insight. i knew not to many people would have much on the Franchi, and had seen the issues about Savages weak extractor but wanted a wider test audience which you guys thankfully provided. so i am re-assessing my options. Tikka and Weatherby were both on my original radar and with info i will prob lean back toward the Tikka

Opinions are like Aholes everyone’s got one, but the guys that make custom toilet paper for sensitive aholes are the ones I’d ask.

#1sensitive ahole/custom toilet paper guy on this thread is FiremanJG. Just PM him so no bodies feelings get hurt about shrimper looking rifles.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631284 06/29/22 10:19 PM
B
Buzzsaw Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
B
The rifles ya'll are arguing over ALL SUCK. Nut up and buy right. banana

SPACE FOR RENT

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631304 06/29/22 10:30 PM
F
freerange Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
F
Whats wrong with Winchester Model 70?

At some point in life its time to quit chasing the pot of gold and just enjoy the rainbow. FR
Keep your gratitude higher than your expectations. RWH
Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: txtrophy85] #8631319 06/29/22 10:42 PM
68rustbucket Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Big Sam
Originally Posted by Smokey Bear
I don’t know anything about a Franchi rifle. Savage earned a reputation for making rifles that shoot.

There is one opinion generally held about Savage bolt rifles. If you miss, it was not the rifle.

Just about every factory production rifle built today can shoot. The last rifle i can bear memory to that was horrible accuracy wise with the Remington 710 but that was 20 years ago.

Savage has earned a reputation for great accuracy, especially at their price point BUT.......the fit and finish is lacking in comparison.

Custom rifle accuracy and bargain basement fit and finish.

Never owned a Savage or Tikka, all Remington and Ruger rifles. Had a brand new out of the box Remington Model 7 .260 that would not pattern any better than a 12” pie plate. I even sent the Leupold scope back for accuracy check, came back no problem found. Took it to the the gun show and sold it.

Re: Deciding on new rifle [Re: newguy00] #8631334 06/29/22 10:49 PM
Creekrunner Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by newguy00

Good hunting! (Not paper piercing. grin)

...and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. Gen. 1:28
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide