Forums46
Topics538,480
Posts9,737,545
Members87,089
Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: Tbar] #8620942 06/15/22 04:05 PM
A
angus1956 Online Content OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by Tbar
Hopefully, the tankless HW was installed with a pair of isolation valves and hose-end connections on it so you can flush the scale and bacteria yearly. You can buy the flush kit at your neighborhood plumbing supply. I have no idea if this would solve your problem.

I am trying to imagine how a softener would work with the tankless WH. Seems like the salt would be corrosive. The Culligan people would be able to answer that question.

On another note....moving that far away your wife won't be able to refinish my front door the next time it needs it. hammer

Service ports are on tankless system.
Water filter company said no issues with softner system.
When needed call the wife for door refinishing she'll help if she can.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8620954 06/15/22 04:29 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
What Brand Tankless W/H do you have?

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8620956 06/15/22 04:30 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
We have had the problem here from time to time. As Western said, change out the anode for the proper one for your water. But that won’t solve the problem. You need to sanitize your water heater and water lines in the house. Shut the water off to the water heater, unscrew the anode plug and remove the anode. Open the lower water heater drain and let out a couple of gallons of water. Pour bleach, using a funnel, into the anode hole (internet will tell you how much, because I forgot how much). Put in the new anode. I should mention that if you are limited in space above the water heater, buy the segmented anode. Turn the water back on to fill the water heater. Run water in the house to all faucets fed by the water heater until you smell bleach. Let the system sit like that for 8 hours or overnight. That will sanitize your system and end the rotten egg smell. Then run the water from all faucets till the bleach smell is gone.

I have had to do that twice to the water heater at our little guest house. I have found, at least for that little house that doesn’t get a lot of visitors, to turn the gas to the water heater to the Pilot setting. Keeping the water hot unnecessarily will cause you to have to sanitize again before too long. If it’s an electric water heater, turn it off if you aren’t using it. If, however, it’s your main house, sanitize the system and it should stay that way if the water is used regularly. I have never had the problem at the barn apartment (electric water heater is off till needed) or at the main house (water heater in constant use). All anodes have been changed out to the proper one. You’ll need a certain size socket for the anode nut, and be advised that those anode plugs sometimes are hard to get unscrewed.

If my directions aren’t clear, look up how to sanitize your water heater on the internet.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: The Dude Abides] #8620974 06/15/22 05:13 PM
A
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Rinnai is brand.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: 603Country] #8620977 06/15/22 05:16 PM
A
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
A
Originally Posted by 603Country
We have had the problem here from time to time. As Western said, change out the anode for the proper one for your water. But that won’t solve the problem. You need to sanitize your water heater and water lines in the house. Shut the water off to the water heater, unscrew the anode plug and remove the anode. Open the lower water heater drain and let out a couple of gallons of water. Pour bleach, using a funnel, into the anode hole (internet will tell you how much, because I forgot how much). Put in the new anode. I should mention that if you are limited in space above the water heater, buy the segmented anode. Turn the water back on to fill the water heater. Run water in the house to all faucets fed by the water heater until you smell bleach. Let the system sit like that for 8 hours or overnight. That will sanitize your system and end the rotten egg smell. Then run the water from all faucets till the bleach smell is gone.

I have had to do that twice to the water heater at our little guest house. I have found, at least for that little house that doesn’t get a lot of visitors, to turn the gas to the water heater to the Pilot setting. Keeping the water hot unnecessarily will cause you to have to sanitize again before too long. If it’s an electric water heater, turn it off if you aren’t using it. If, however, it’s your main house, sanitize the system and it should stay that way if the water is used regularly. I have never had the problem at the barn apartment (electric water heater is off till needed) or at the main house (water heater in constant use). All anodes have been changed out to the proper one. You’ll need a certain size socket for the anode nut, and be advised that those anode plugs sometimes are hard to get unscrewed.

If my directions aren’t clear, look up how to sanitize your water heater on the internet.

Water heater is tankless. But yes we'll have bleach all the lines.
Thanks

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8620994 06/15/22 05:49 PM
The Dude Abides Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by angus1956
Originally Posted by TXGUNNER308

Rinnai is brand.

We have a Rinnai as well. Looking through the manual to see if replacing the anode is an option.

Last edited by TXGUNNER308; 06/15/22 05:50 PM.

Originally Posted by Superduty
I am still looking for the perfect apron, one with reinforced knee areas would be perfect.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8620999 06/15/22 05:55 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
There is no salt in your water when using a water softner.
Smell in hot water is an easy fix --------- there is a bar in your water heater, forget what it is called,,,, unscrew it from the top of your water heater and replace it -------- problem solved.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621000 06/15/22 05:57 PM
B
booskay Offline
Tracker
Tracker
B
I just read that your water heater is tankless ---------- maybe get a tank one.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621034 06/15/22 07:01 PM
603Country Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Tankless water heater. I went to the internet to see what they had to say. It appears they use vinegar to flush the unit. I suppose the vinegar will kill the bacteria that causes the rotten egg smell. There wasn’t much discussion about the use of bleach for tankless. Maybe bleach isn’t recommended for a tankless unit, even though it’s suggested for the tank type. Well, the objective is to kill the bacteria, so if vinegar will do that, so be it.

I do know that when we sanitized our travel trailer water tank and lines we used bleach, but were instructed to bypass the water heater.

Not my monkeys, not my circus...
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621037 06/15/22 07:05 PM
pertnear Online Content
"Demolition Man"
Online Content
"Demolition Man"
A buddy of mine has a house in the country that had smelly hot water. He fixed it by increasing the water heater's temperature. He put up warning signs near the showers warning folks that the water may be way too hot.

His water heaters have a tank, so this is just FWI - it might help(?) confused2

The North has double last names. The South has double first names.
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621353 06/16/22 01:41 AM
S
Stump_jumper Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
S
Before I went to Camp Grady Spruce I heard about the sulfur smell in the water. We took those fizzy things to put in our water. That was in the days before bottled water.

2017 Tundra 5.7 CM 4x4
2006 Champion 2200 Bay Boat
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: Western] #8621564 06/16/22 01:04 PM
HWY_MAN Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
Originally Posted by Western
Swap the anode in the water heater with a aluminum/zinc anode. If it is only on the hot side, the bacteria is loving the magnesium rod already in the tank. I swapped ours and two neighbors followed suit, all three no smell after about a week.

Had to do this years ago at another place we had well water.

We run sacrificial anodes in all of our heater treaters.

Yes! A Weatherby does kill them deader.
Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621641 06/16/22 02:39 PM
J
jetdad Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
J
They make a timed device that drops chlorine tablets into the well. It installs at the wellhead. No experience with one but it sounds good.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621660 06/16/22 02:54 PM
glens Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
When I had the Ranchito between Cistren and Muldoon Tx. it had the nastiest water I had every been around . 600 foot deep well, Kinectico Water System, Settling Tanks. Clorine Injection System. Heck my water well building looked like a city set up. Tanks, Hoses and all kinds of goodies to make it halfway liveable.Think we had around 20 grand in the system and needed constant attention.

Re: Serious water quality question, Sulphur Smell hot side only [Re: angus1956] #8621732 06/16/22 04:17 PM
L
LonestarCobra Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
L
The well at my old place was like that. I would pour a cup of bleach down the well between the tubing and casing. I then ran a water hose back into the well between the tubing and casing and let it circulate for ten minutes, then pulled the hose out and let it run on the ground for five minutes and called it good. Another way to help is to use an old style pressure tank with no bladder. There is a sniffle valve located between the first two joints of tubing that will drain back a little water every time the pump cycles. That will help keep some deposits from staying in the tank. A softener works fine with a tankless heater, I have been using it for years, and Rinniah is a good brand heater. The salt is only used in the softener system to backflush the resin, and then it gets a fresh water rinse before it cycles back to the house. When you run a pre filter and then a softener, you will find that it will be several years before you need to de scale the water heater. Find a reputable water treating company, get a thorough water sample test, and go from there, you may or may not end up needing a very elaborate system to alleviate the odor.

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide