Originally Posted by Dave Scott
I "went back" to a recurve. They are lightweight, easy to carry, and a lot of fun. I have a 40 lb, 45 lb, and 50 lb. and strangely, the arrow seems to travel at pretty much the same speed with all 3. I went back to instinctive shooting, looking right down the arrow. I think in choked brush where shots are at close range and you need to shoot fast- the recurve IS BETTER than the compound because you don't have to find the deer in a peep sight, etc. One guy told me an arrowhead that stays in the lungs rather than pass through the deer will tear up the lungs when the deer runs and do a better job. In any event I like the traditional. Thee compound- I got on that because of angst at having to "get something". Like the others- 20-30 yards is my limit. At such close range jumping the string, etc. causes less issues.
And I like those arrowheads.

Lung tissue is soft and jello-y so it doesent take much to destroy it.

You always want an exit wound when bowhunting. That myth about an arrow staying in and doing more damage has been perpetrated forever, imo to validate a lack of exit wounds. You want two holes for better blood trails.

Also, need to pay attention to arrow weight. Do you have different arrows for every weight bow?

For trad hunting the common rule of thumb is to start around 9-10 grains per pound of draw weight and a good cut on contact broadhead. Will help get you those pass thrus

Last edited by txtrophy85; 07/25/22 08:03 PM.

For it is not the quarry that we truly seek, but the adventure.