Most Online25,604
Feb 12th, 2024
Print Thread
Page 14 of 42 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 41 42
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8553424 03/11/22 02:18 AM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
TPACK. What sprayer did you get? When spraying and specially bermuda it opens you up to a lot more and better options than box store options for pre and post, fungicidies, pest too and others. Up front cost might seem high on some, but will save you lots of coin over the years.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #8553455 03/11/22 02:39 AM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Originally Posted by Derek
I'll get some pics. They were fired up they got to spend the weekend outside.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Payne] #8553503 03/11/22 03:25 AM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by Payne
I'll get some pics. They were fired up they got to spend the weekend outside.

[Linked Image]

I forgot lol. They are excited they get to go out next week. Tank is on the left and Maggie on the right. Your L/R as you see the pic.
[Linked Image]

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8553610 03/11/22 12:14 PM
Payne Online Shocked
Cat Herder
Online Shocked
Cat Herder
They're growing like weeds

[Linked Image]
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #8553716 03/11/22 02:47 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
TPACK. What sprayer did you get? When spraying and specially bermuda it opens you up to a lot more and better options than box store options for pre and post, fungicidies, pest too and others. Up front cost might seem high on some, but will save you lots of coin over the years.

I got the Chapin /24V/ 4 gal. backpack sprayer from Northern Tool for $177.00 . I got it last year when so many things were out of stock. It wasn`t the one I wanted, but it was still a descent one for a good price. Much better than dragging a hose or my 2 gallon pump up sprayer. Happy with it so far.

Did my final scalp with my Honda HRX217VKA. Took it all the way down to 3/4" HOC. Scalped it about a month ago, but you would be surprised how much more grass you get when you drop it another 1/2".

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8553761 03/11/22 03:40 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Nice. That's a good sprayer. TeeJet tips should be a simple drop in on that nozzle. I like the XR for just about everything. Tip model AIXR11006VP is what I use. I hate scalping. I'll start Sunday or Monday. I will get it down close to 1/8"-1/4" or so. I was going to burn my bermuda this year, but the Chief called me and axed that plan since we are under a county wide burn ban.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8554091 03/11/22 09:52 PM
D
Ders26 Offline
Bird Dog
Bird Dog
D
I was planning on leveling my back yard this spring. My septic lines and prior owner's dog have created a few voids. Most voids are 2-4 inches deep. The voids from the septic line are probably 6-8 inches wide. Most voids from dogs digging are a foot wide circle. Would you get it level and let runners fill in or try to fill it gradually in layers as the grass grows. My thoughts were to get a 50/50 mix of top soil and sand to fill the voids but am definitely open to suggestions.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8554174 03/11/22 11:59 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
You could go either way. Personally I would level it all at once and be done with it. I would Mason sand instead of a 50/50 mix. The soil in the mix will breakdown over time causing more unlevel spots and having to add more and bermuda grows great in sand. Rule of thumb is like 1yrd per 1000sq feet of sand and adjusted for situations like yours. I have seen people go much heavier amounts. I've seen 4" sand caps done on bermuda and the bermuda grew right through it and filled in great. It did take the bermuda 3-4" months to fill in but it did great. You'll want good temps for high growth potential too. I would probably target late April to mid May or so. Maybe even late May. If I don't get too lazy, I'm going to try and do a full sand level this year on the front and back. Backyard needs it bad.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8554730 03/12/22 07:41 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Got the front scalped

Before
[Linked Image]

After
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #8554752 03/12/22 08:19 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T
Got the front scalped

Before

[Linked Image]

I think I see a little bit of green up already ?

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8555445 03/13/22 05:49 PM
G
greenen Offline
Tracker
Tracker
G
Clean scalp Derek! I cut my St. A down another notch yesterday and fired up my sprinklers today. No damage so far. Dry as crap. Last 2 small sprinkles missed my house completely.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8560245 03/19/22 10:53 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Hey Derek, scalped my lawn today. Never did that before...was quite a workout. What's next?

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Jimbo1] #8560510 03/20/22 01:45 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Originally Posted by Jimbo1
Hey Derek, scalped my lawn today. Never did that before...was quite a workout. What's next?

Have you thought about dethatching and aerating it? I’m not a professional by any means and Derek knows way more than I do but after scalping mine in the spring I dethatch it and level any bumpy spots as soon as it start growing good. I’ve always waited until early April to aerate it and then just keep the fertilizer poured to it and enjoy a beautiful yard the rest of the year.
Most people would be amazed on how their yard responds to a good dethatching and aeration, it will turn a so so yard into a beautiful thriving one very quickly, I prefer the the plug aeration method as opposed to the standard aerators but anything’s better than nothing and both will most definitely help the yards health a s how it looks.

I’ll be curious what Derek recommends and I may adjust my methods according to his oppinion but this has always been successful for me in the past.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8560605 03/20/22 05:19 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted by Ol Thumper

Have you thought about dethatching and aerating it? I’m not a professional by any means and Derek knows way more than I do but after scalping mine in the spring I dethatch it and level any bumpy spots as soon as it start growing good. I’ve always waited until early April to aerate it and then just keep the fertilizer poured to it and enjoy a beautiful yard the rest of the year.
Most people would be amazed on how their yard responds to a good dethatching and aeration, it will turn a so so yard into a beautiful thriving one very quickly, I prefer the the plug aeration method as opposed to the standard aerators but anything’s better than nothing and both will most definitely help the yards health a s how it looks.

I’ll be curious what Derek recommends and I may adjust my methods according to his oppinion but this has always been successful for me in the past.

When I scalped it I also bagged everything. No visible thatch leftover. I might aerate and level a few spots in the coming weeks.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8560760 03/20/22 10:40 PM
R
RedRanger Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
R
Lawn Company came by and scalped my yard on Friday, and Citi turf was by last week for my monthly lawn treatment, I am ready for spring and rains and a beautiful green lawn.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Jimbo1] #8561017 03/21/22 07:34 AM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter

When I scalped it I also bagged everything. No visible thatch leftover. I might aerate and level a few spots in the coming weeks.

You got a good workout and a lot of filled bags then, I scalped ours this weekend and ended up with 21 bags and then dethatched it and got another 14. The things we do for green grass,,

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8561226 03/21/22 03:15 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J

You got a good workout and a lot of filled bags then, I scalped ours this weekend and ended up with 21 bags and then dethatched it and got another 14. The things we do for green grass,,

Ain't that the truth! Actually since I just retired, the yard is finally getting the attention it needs. Wife has done an amazing job over the years with the weeds but time to give her a break.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8561236 03/21/22 03:29 PM
Ol Thumper Offline OP
THF Trophy Hunter
OP Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
Jimbo what type of grass do you have?

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8561246 03/21/22 03:39 PM
J
Jimbo1 Offline
THF Celebrity
THF Celebrity
J
Jimbo what type of grass do you have?

Bermuda in the front and St. Augustine in the back.

FKH - Lets Go Kamelhoe
BBB - Bring Back Better
Awake - Not Woke!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Jimbo1] #8561266 03/21/22 04:11 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter

Nothing really. I'm in a holding pattern until April 2nd. Seeing a lot of 80's in the long term forecast. Getting decent green up now and should be ready to rock in a couple weeks.

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Ol Thumper] #8566967 03/29/22 02:41 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Spring green is here. Season begins this weekend. Let's go girls.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #8567276 03/29/22 10:12 PM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

Nothing really. I'm in a holding pattern until April 2nd. Seeing a lot of 80's in the long term forecast. Getting decent green up now and should be ready to rock in a couple weeks.

Already green here (Deep East Texas) have mowed my lawn twice already. But was out walking my dog the other day and when we went down by one of my storage sheds where I parked my Zero Turn the day before, it was fully on FIRE.

And I mean on FIRE. Could not put it out. Burned to the ground.

So I'll be looking for a new Scag now.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: flintknapper] #8567336 03/29/22 11:59 PM
Derek Offline
Fert Squirter
Fert Squirter
Originally Posted by flintknapper

Already green here (Deep East Texas) have mowed my lawn twice already. But was out walking my dog the other day and when we went down by one of my storage sheds where I parked my Zero Turn the day before, it was fully on FIRE.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holy (censord) that is horrible! Hope their insurance covers it and you’re not out of pocket much. Wishing you the best. That sucks!

Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: Derek] #8567344 03/30/22 12:07 AM
F
flintknapper Offline
THF Trophy Hunter
THF Trophy Hunter
F

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Holy (censord) that is horrible! Hope their insurance covers it and you’re not out of pocket much. Wishing you the best. That sucks!

Talked to the insurance adjuster briefly today. He can't make it out here until next week (busy covering tornado losses). I just completely rebuilt the engine last May and have only 300 hrs on that rebuild. I don't mean an overhaul either. Bored .020 over, new crank, con rods, pistons, rings, cam, everything new in the heads, etc..completely rebuilt.

All new bushings, seals, belts, hoses, fluids. New deck spindles last year, etc

So I hope they don't try to low-ball me.....I'm just not in the mood for it.

Spartans ask not...how many, but where!
Re: THF Lawn & Landscaping Thread [Re: flintknapper] #8567783 03/30/22 03:20 PM
T
TPACK Offline
Extreme Tracker
Extreme Tracker
T

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I`m wondering if they will do some sort of fire investigation. Just like an insurance company to think it was arson of some type and not want to pay. I also wonder if it would be better to just write it off anyway. Making a fire claim on your homeowner`s insurance might cause an increase that you have to pay every year. After the deductible and the depreciation on a used mower, it might be better to just not make a claim. Good luck. salute

Page 14 of 42 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 41 42
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2024 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide