texashuntingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
atts12, Bobby Smith, SASS26190, 7H-Hunt-Club, 361BaldEagle
70743 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
dogcatcher 110,655
bill oxner 91,416
SnakeWrangler 64,311
stxranchman 60,296
Gravytrain 46,950
RKHarm24 44,585
rifleman 44,461
BMD 41,241
Forum Statistics
Forums46
Topics618,416
Posts11,439,711
Members85,743
Most Online19,184
Feb 5th, 2020
Print Thread
Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low #8518784 02/01/22 04:05 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
TEXAS HUNTING INCIDENTS reached a record LOW in 2021 with a total of 12, five less than the previous low of 17! In the 50 years of hunter education in Texas, there is an obvious correlation between the hunter education program and the number of hunting incidents by year -- a highly significant lowering of incidents since the 1960s.

Look for a link to the 2021 Texas Hunting Accident Report in a later post.


"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8518789 02/01/22 04:10 AM
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 60,296
S
stxranchman Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
Offline
Obie Juan Kenobi
S
Joined: Aug 2010
Posts: 60,296
Back in the 60-70's alcohol was the main cause of hunting accidents.


Are idiots multiplying faster than normal people?[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8518832 02/01/22 06:03 AM
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,189
S
Sewer rat Online Content
Pro Tracker
Online Content
Pro Tracker
S
Joined: Dec 2020
Posts: 1,189
I disagree with the hunter education program being the cause. It is a joke now with the online business. I took hunters education four times. Once when I turned 9 living in New Mexico. I then took it as part of a middle school wildlife class in New Mexico. Then at 15 I moved to texas and took the class. Not because it was necessary my NM one was good but because my Dad was becoming an instructor so I went along. Then in high school I took it again as part of an Ag class. Anyway long story short the classes were very thorough and I learned a lot. It was a long time ago but I remember the classes being either a couple hours every evening for a week or an entire weekend.

Fast forward to today. My son turned 17 and needed the class this year. Due to Covid or whatever they offer it online. He signed up on the TPW page and completed there online class and got his certification in about twenty minutes. It is a joke.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8518983 02/01/22 02:43 PM
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 14,754
Q
QuitShootinYoungBucks Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Q
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 14,754
Makes sense, with these ammo prices nobody can afford to use a round on their buddy!


[Linked Image]

https://web.archive.org/web/20170223065011/http:/www.rrdvegas.com/silencer-cleaning.html
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: stxranchman] #8518987 02/01/22 02:45 PM
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 57,174
BOBO the Clown Online Content
kind of a big deal
Online Content
kind of a big deal
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 57,174
Originally Posted by stxranchman
Back in the 60-70's alcohol was the main cause of hunting accidents.


Makes sense, No open container law.


Donate to TX Youth hunting program.... better to donate then to waste it in taxes

https://secure.qgiv.com/for/gtgoh/mobile
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: QuitShootinYoungBucks] #8518996 02/01/22 02:55 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,977
J
Judd Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
Online Confused
#1 Creedmoor Fan
J
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 17,977
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Makes sense, with these ammo prices nobody can afford to use a round on their buddy!


rofl


Originally Posted by Phil Robertson
Don't let your ears hear what your eyes didn't see, and don't let your mouth say what your heart doesn't feel
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Judd] #8519035 02/01/22 03:44 PM
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 29,774
B
Buzzsaw Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 29,774
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Makes sense, with these ammo prices nobody can afford to use a round on their buddy!


rofl

clap

seriously. hopefully whoever is involved in hunting is thinking safety first


SPACE FOR RENT


Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8519632 02/01/22 11:48 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
😎

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8519757 02/02/22 01:30 AM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,341
C
Curly Offline
Overrated
Offline
Overrated
C
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 20,341
I wonder if there's been less people out there hunting?

Last edited by Curly; 02/02/22 01:31 AM.
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Judd] #8520041 02/02/22 04:58 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,664
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,664
Originally Posted by Judd
Originally Posted by QuitShootinYoungBucks
Makes sense, with these ammo prices nobody can afford to use a round on their buddy!


rofl


roflmao

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Curly] #8520044 02/02/22 05:07 AM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,664
T
Txduckman Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 17,664
Originally Posted by Curly
I wonder if there's been less people out there hunting?


Doubt it and don't think enough for it to matter for now. Now in 10 years I wonder if it will be a factor since so much land is being chopped up into 10 acre bonfire properties and no more hunting leases.

I think a big reason is kids and some adults don't have the freedom to run around like we did. I know a few folks who ended up dead after bad decisions. All related to leaving a shell in the chamber and a vehicle driving around with passengers.

Also quail hunting sucks most places and dove too now so less hunters side by side.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8520292 02/02/22 03:39 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
My guess would be the widespread use of social media and online news, which can work in tandem, has more hunters quickly learning of hunting and shooting-related accidents. Reading of the tragic outcomes of others can be a good reminder to stay safe and not drop your guard. The horrible accident that occurred in East Texas this past season is an example of that. In fact, it's the only fatal accident that will appear in this year's Accident Report.

Here's the link to a very impactful video that those who have younger kids might want to consider adding to their collection. While it's a little pricey, it sends a very strong message, perhaps even too strong for some folks. I always play it at the beginning of my Hunter Education classes just to set the mood. IMHO, any kid who is old enough to safely handle a firearm should be old enough to watch this video. It has a message for parents as well.

The Last Shot


Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/02/22 04:01 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Sewer rat] #8520893 02/03/22 12:21 AM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,938
Duck_Hunter Offline
THF Celebrity
Offline
THF Celebrity
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 11,938
Originally Posted by Sewer rat
I disagree with the hunter education program being the cause. It is a joke now with the online business. I took hunters education four times. Once when I turned 9 living in New Mexico. I then took it as part of a middle school wildlife class in New Mexico. Then at 15 I moved to texas and took the class. Not because it was necessary my NM one was good but because my Dad was becoming an instructor so I went along. Then in high school I took it again as part of an Ag class. Anyway long story short the classes were very thorough and I learned a lot. It was a long time ago but I remember the classes being either a couple hours every evening for a week or an entire weekend.

Fast forward to today. My son turned 17 and needed the class this year. Due to Covid or whatever they offer it online. He signed up on the TPW page and completed there online class and got his certification in about twenty minutes. It is a joke.


It’s been offered online for years. At least a decade. Just like anything else, it depends on how much interest/effort someone puts into it. A lot of it is common sense but good reminders. I don’t see any reason for it to be a required in-person class. A lot of it doesn’t even apply to what people hunt. Not everyone hunts deer, or hunts with a shotgun, or hunts public land, but that’s all included and must be passed before completing the course. Online is fine, in my opinion.


Originally Posted by bill oxner
I just turned it on . I was looking bird dogs in the butt this morning.


[Linked Image]
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8520903 02/03/22 12:26 AM
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,753
W
Wilhunt Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
Online Content
THF Trophy Hunter
W
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 5,753
I think the hunter ed class is beneficial to those who take it. I took with with my grandson and it seems like a refresher of things for older people. But much more informative for youth who have not had hunting experience.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8520949 02/03/22 01:17 AM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
The TPWD puts a lot of time and effort into collecting information on hunting accidents and studying the data over multiple years. While it may be an elusive one, the goal is to draw some basic conclusions as to why people end up injuring or killing themselves or others. For example, here's what they found for the accidents that occurred during the years 2016-2020. I've highlighted a couple that some may find interesting.

Incident profile over time:
• Incidents were highly preventable thru proper training.
• Over half had not completed hunter education training.
• Victims were not wearing hunter orange clothing.
• Most incidents due to hunter judgment errors; carelessness.
Most shooters had over 10 years of hunting experience.
Most shooters were not under the influence of alcohol.
• If self-inflicted, shooters handled firearms carelessly.
• Distance of muzzle to wound was typically under 15 yards.
• Incident occurred towards dusk; fatigue a possible factor.

If you want to learn more, here's the link to the entire list of TPWD Hunting Accident Reports. Keep checking back if you're interested in reading this year's Report.

TPWD Hunting Accident Reports

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/03/22 01:20 AM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8522008 02/03/22 11:25 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
This year's report is now available. Here again is the link to the entire list of reports. Very interesting reading.

TPWD Hunting Accident Reports


"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8522022 02/03/22 11:35 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,164
H
Huntmaster Online Content
Veteran Tracker
Online Content
Veteran Tracker
H
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 2,164
I personally don’t think a little course in Hunter Ed has anything to do with it. Less hunters, a different type of hunter, dove hunt, only people and usually 2 days, less time in the field on every type of hunting.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Huntmaster] #8522617 02/04/22 03:19 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
Originally Posted by Huntmaster
I personally don’t think a little course in Hunter Ed has anything to do with it. Less hunters, a different type of hunter, dove hunt, only people and usually 2 days, less time in the field on every type of hunting.


Complacency is what probably leads to most hunting and shooting related accidents. The training aspect of Hunter Education is directed more at kids who are still learning the ropes. The vast majority of the adults who take the classroom course today are parents who want to know what their kids are being taught, and to show them they take hunting safety very seriously. In order to address the complacency issue, I always read selected accident accounts to the class when they return from breaks. As the case with social media and online news, the general idea was to show what can happen to even the those with many years of hunting and shooting experience. The last thing a hunter ever wants to say to themselves is "I knew better".

These reports also show how people can become injured or killed in non-firearm or bow-related accidents. Accidents involving ATV's, elevated box stands, and propane explosions are examples found in this year's report.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/04/22 03:31 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8523472 02/05/22 03:54 AM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 263
C
claypool Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
C
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 263
Maybe I am missing something, but I find it difficult to believe there were so few ATV accidents or falling out of stands accidents. Hope so, but kinda skeptical.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: claypool] #8529088 02/11/22 03:36 PM
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
T
Texas Dan Offline OP
THF Celebrity
OP Offline
THF Celebrity
T
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 21,174
Originally Posted by claypool
Maybe I am missing something, but I find it difficult to believe there were so few ATV accidents or falling out of stands accidents. Hope so, but kinda skeptical.


There are no doubt accidents that don't send people to the hospital. I suspect there are also times when people end up at the Emergency Room or a doctor's office as a result of some hunting-related activity but are never reported to the TPWD. What shows up in these reports could be, relatively speaking, only the worst ones.

Last edited by Texas Dan; 02/11/22 03:37 PM.

"Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons."
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8529726 02/12/22 03:17 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
Good

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8530467 02/13/22 04:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 263
C
claypool Online Content
Bird Dog
Online Content
Bird Dog
C
Joined: Aug 2014
Posts: 263
Yep, and please make no mistake, I hope that accidents have decreased and they probably have. But I am thinking that ATV and falling out of deer stands would triple all the others.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8531281 02/14/22 04:47 PM
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 568
E
ErnestTBass Offline
Tracker
Offline
Tracker
E
Joined: Aug 2016
Posts: 568
I'm not a statistician, but these #s are so low in general I'd bet the variance is not statistically significant.

Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: Texas Dan] #8531320 02/14/22 05:22 PM
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 18,116
TurkeyHunter Online Content
THF Celebrity
Online Content
THF Celebrity
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 18,116
Regardless of whatever.....

Fewer hunting accidents are a good thing.


To be determined
Re: Texas Hunting Accidents Hit Record Low [Re: TurkeyHunter] #8531526 02/14/22 09:52 PM
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
B
Biscuit Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
Online Shocked
THF Celebrity
B
Joined: Nov 2017
Posts: 17,895
Originally Posted by TurkeyHunter
Regardless of whatever.....

Fewer hunting accidents are a good thing.



That’s a fact

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 2004-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.3